Is LDB done with D&D forums?

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
I ask this here, because many people consider LDB to be the most central figure in the world of optimization. 

I have not seen LDB (lordduskblade) in a long time - and he used to post a few trillion times a day.  Is he done with the boards?  Just on vacation?   If so, is anyone going to pick up the optimization guides he used to do?

My best guess is that he finally got tired of all the hate he received and moved on...

If so, is that another sign of the D&D apocalyse? Once upon a time DDM had a 'most knowledgeable' fellow that decided to leave the game - Guy Fullerton.  Guy was more closely tied to DDM than LDB is to D&D - Guy had rule interpretation authority and was involved ina  design, a bit - but LDB is very highly regarded.  

Many people consider Guy leaving to be the first significant step in the demise of DDM.  There had been organization when Guy was present that fell apart after he left. 

LDB has had much less of an impact on the game than Guy had on DDM, but did LDB have enough of a presence that his loss will cause a long term negative impact?  If not on D&D as a whole - just on optimization?
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
The guy's highly regarded, but really..? I think even asking these questions is way overreacting. 
LDB doesn't leave, or take holidays, or sleep. He waits.

Behind you.
LDB didnt leave, he is creating better worlds...

Infernis
LDB has had much less of an impact on the game than Guy had on DDM, but did LDB have enough of a presence that his loss will cause a long term negative impact?  If not on D&D as a whole - just on optimization?

I think one of the things to realize is that there have been several LDB-types over the past several years...he was notable for how much staying power he had for his first run at CharOps.

He was the only 4e LDB really, though, which gave him an advantage over the 3x ones - 4e is a lot easier to compress into a handbook than 3x - Wizards in 3x literally could potentially cast 50 or so different spells a day with a choice of hundreds to choose from each day. Which made picking out the valuable spells ridiculously difficult...

I think one of the things to realize is that there have been several LDB-types over the past several years...he was notable for how much staying power he had for his first run at CharOps.

He was the only 4e LDB really, though, which gave him an advantage over the 3x ones - 4e is a lot easier to compress into a handbook than 3x - Wizards in 3x literally could potentially cast 50 or so different spells a day with a choice of hundreds to choose from each day. Which made picking out the valuable spells ridiculously difficult...

Are you the only MwaO? Out of interest.
LDB doesn't leave D&D. D&D leaves LDB.
This is turning into another LDB meme thread, isn't it?

You'd be disappointed otherwise, admit it. :p

You'd be disappointed otherwise, admit it. :p

NO!!! Yell

... yes Embarassed
He got into Warhammer. 4e's designers started tiptoeing through the tulips when LDB wanted more dakka, and Warhammer has lots of dakka, so LDB went to optimize something more metal.

LDB is...Cthuhlu?

But seriously, hopefully he's still around.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
If LBD is gone...it would be a sad day.

But if he is, I wouldn't be suprised. The charop boards have been listless lately. It seems like there is a feeling that its all been done. Wizards has been more concerned with releasing a constant stream of essentials materials. Repeated requests for support of abandoned classes have gone ignored, while the wizard gets an avalanche of sub classes and options. Any time a new power or option is previewed a dozen people crawl out of the woodwork screaming power creep.

The only bright spot lately has been themes, and I wonder how long it will be before we are over-saturated.   

I'm not saying 4E is dead or sinking...it just feels to me like a it's adrift, and I really wish the wind would pick up again. 
Because of LDB, all Monster Manual covers will henceforth be emblazoned with the words "Never Forget".

LDB is merely taking a moment of respectful silence.
Do you want me to just like... ask him? I have him on Facebook.

I see him there every so often; I've just ignored him since the playoffs started. 
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Do you want me to just like... ask him? I have him on Facebook.

I see him there every so often; I've just ignored him since the playoffs started. 

Damn right!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
 Repeated requests for support of abandoned classes have gone ignored, 

Massive Battle Cleric infusion earlier this year, Artificer and Starlock articles in September, Runepriest article in October, Swordmage article in November.... how exactly are requests being ignored?
Massive Battle Cleric infusion earlier this year, Artificer and Starlock articles in September, Runepriest article in October, Swordmage article in November.... how exactly are requests being ignored?

Monk article in Oct... oh wait, that was a Brawler article.... :D

here is my thinking as to why he hasent been intrested.

all new classes will just capitalize by poaching Multiclass stuff off of other classes, we have already identified the best combos in 4e and the subclass method dosent add enough to the game as a whole to really warrent much optimizing, even then nothing ive seen in the last 6 months has been out of the box.

all the new classes are basic attackers, we know how to take advantage of these, charge and that has been beaten to death. there is no new at will making us consider half elfing into it and building a character around the exploit of it. there is no feat set that rivals what the fighter and wizard have in their arsonle. there is no new perspective being shown to tease our brains. the new content is basic attackers with a diffrent mechanic to play with on top of it. these basic attackers will exploit the same thing that the other ones do, taking similar feats and ideas.

so whats the point of the optomizers if there is no puzzle to solve? whats the fun if we have no new exploitable material to fiddle with? we can optomize basic attacks its been done, its easy. to get people like LDB back we need new powers and abilities that make us want to sit down and ask ourselves: "how do i make this work" there has to be new feats that are high risk reward, there has to be something making us lick our lips and tease our brains, this is what we do. if we cant do that well, why bother? 

i like the new classes, but i am easy to please, but there is only so much that can be done with basic attacks, class feature packs (virtue, vice, pact, season, magic school etc) and multiclass poaching. we know how to exploit this, we need a new challange.

OK, so tsuyo asked me if I was dead or not, so I figured I'd swing by.

The reason I haven't been around of late is just a bad case of system burnout. I've just stopped playing D&D, and to be honest with you, I don't miss it. I was getting tired of roleplaying out scenarios when (to be brutally honest) I've never given a rat's arse about ropleplaying - I just want to pick up a sword and hit stuff. Then along comes Warhammer, where the disconnect between the story and the mechanics is more sharply defined, and I'm hooked. I have one army up to 3,000 points, and I'm starting another.

tl;dr: I'm tired of playing D&D - if you guys want to talk Warhammer, I'm all ears.
What about to talk NY vs. Boston sports? Though sadly I don't have any ammo given the dismal performance as of late.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

The reason I haven't been around of late is just a bad case of system burnout. I've just stopped playing D&D, and to be honest with you, I don't miss it. I was getting tired of roleplaying out scenarios when (to be brutally honest) I've never given a rat's arse about ropleplaying - I just want to pick up a sword and hit stuff. Then along comes Warhammer, where the disconnect between the story and the mechanics is more sharply defined, and I'm hooked. I have one army up to 3,000 points, and I'm starting another.

tl;dr: I'm tired of playing D&D - if you guys want to talk Warhammer, I'm all ears.

I hear you there. I've been getting up less and less for D&D myself over the last few months. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm coming back to these boards as much as I am right now (which is considerably less than before).

I can understand that. Have you checked out Hordes or Anima Tactics?

It was bound to happen. D&D is still and will only be a hobby and the life-longers will be rare (and probably need to get their heads examined if they play it their entire lives without 'I'm sick of it'-breaks). Picking up another hobby is good once in awhile

LDB, out of curiosity, which army are you playing (and what is going to be your second one?) Been awhile since I touched that game, though I want to finish painting my Chaos Warriors at some point.
Heroic Dungeon Master
The army I've completed is Beastmen, and I'm starting up Orcs & Goblins next. I'm really digging Beastmen, especially the build I'm running, because of how magic-heavy it is. Lots of fun to play.

As for Hordes... still waiting for plastic models to become the norm, rather than the exception. Not a big fan of pewter, personally, as I've grown rather fond of conversions and tweaks, and it's a major pain to do that with pewter.
Makes sense, I've just found the buy in cheaper for those two games than GW's stuff. Why I liked Warzone back in, God, 1994? Haven't been able to afford Warhammer (Fantasy or 40K) since 3rd edition for 40K IIRC.
The army I've completed is Beastmen, and I'm starting up Orcs & Goblins next. I'm really digging Beastmen, especially the build I'm running, because of how magic-heavy it is. Lots of fun to play.

As for Hordes... still waiting for plastic models to become the norm, rather than the exception. Not a big fan of pewter, personally, as I've grown rather fond of conversions and tweaks, and it's a major pain to do that with pewter.

It's crazy how far they've come with plastic. When I starting playing 40k almost 20 years ago, urgh, you couldn't do anything much with those solid 1-piece lumps.
I've been working my way up, personally. Proxy-ing a couple of things before I got 'em, and buying the army piecemeal. I got a bit lucky in that the Beastmen Battalion is relatively cheap and incredibly useful, though.
Personally I've never been able to complete an army to my satisfaction. I am too much of a perfectionist and get bored painting whole squads. 
It helps that I'm still a relative novice at painting, so I view it as good practice. And boy, do I get a lot of practice, because Beastmen and Orcs are both full-fledged Horde armies. My expected model count for both armies is at or above 150 models at 2,500 points, which is what we play the most around here.
In case you want some advice - find a good undercoat and water down your paints a little before using them!
My choice of undercoat didn't turn out so hot (I was planning to leave it on as a skin color, things didn't turn out that way), but the paint jobs have been OK, though I have to come back and do some highlighting work on the armor, so that it looks a bit more pitted and chipped.

I want to get all the coats and the washes on the army first, though.
Well, nice knowing ya.  have fun in your new game.

Infernis
It helps that I'm still a relative novice at painting, so I view it as good practice. And boy, do I get a lot of practice, because Beastmen and Orcs are both full-fledged Horde armies. My expected model count for both armies is at or above 150 models at 2,500 points, which is what we play the most around here.

A fellow painting novice :D

I'm still labouring on single D&D characters, but it can be very fulfilling when it all comes together.  Have fun with your warhams, hope to see you back at some point in the future.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
LDB, see you when 5.0 comes out ;)

LDB is...Cthuhlu?

But seriously, hopefully he's still around.

No, he is an ancient one for the cultist in R'lyeh

Are you the only MwaO? Out of interest.

Yes. Original screen name was Mommy Was An Orc, I switched it to MwaO at one point, then Wizards changed the system, so it reset it back to Mommy_was_an_Orc.

But I'm the only one. 
40K is huge at my store now LDB.  Website will be done soon.  I'll hit you up on FB.  As for the death of 4E, I was an avid CO but then I opened Serenity Games and got sucked back into the maw of Magic, Pathfinder, and Board Gaming, oh and 40k.  Pretty much in that order.

We still do D&D Encounters every Wednesday and Lair assault Bi-weekly.  I still love the game, I have to sell it after all ;)

But it's like I tell my customers, if you want a tactical game like WOW on your table and possibly do a Bazillion damage play 4E. 

If you want an experience like the 2E/3E glory days, play Pathfinder.

I mean 5E is right around the corner, and I for one eagerly await Mike Mearls' new inception.

Good to see/hear from you guys.

Keep the fires burning :D            
My advice for LDB in regards to painting

Black undercoat-makes for good shadows and nice dark colors
White undercoat-brighter colors
Grey-mixed bag between the two.

Personally I prefer black.

You shall be missed sir.

Okay so who is taking over the guide books? How gets LDB hat? When do we read the will? 
My advice for LDB in regards to painting

Okay so who is taking over the guide books? How gets LDB hat? When do we read the will? 

Quick! Someone call Chrisk Perkins and have him run "The Last Will and Testament of Lord Duskblade" with MC-Drowbane, Litigation, Nausicaa, Kilpatds, and Auspex7!

And why am I not on there?? It was my idea!!

LDB I hit you up on FB the other night. Also, I play(ed) 40K with a Chaos Marine army, with some Imperial Guards customized into Choas units as well due to the mutation pieces. I also fielded a Space Marine army originally, and dabbled with Tau.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Sign In to post comments