New realms book out next summer.

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC...

Originally posted by Brian R. James

[br]Lest anyone think I’ve jumped ship, don’t be too hasty.

For those that may not be aware, I'm currently leading the design of a new Realms sourcebook due out next summer. [:p]

Golarion is a fantastic setting, but the Forgotten Realms will always be my first love.

Saw this over at candlekeep. Color me excited.  

HAND OF KARSUS!

awesome
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Color me too!
Sweet. This is pretty awesome news.

Always happy to see BRJ in action.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Matt is saying that a big DDI Realms project is coming...

HAND OF KARSUS!

Sweet.  Let the speculation begin?  Cormyr?  Icewind Dale!? 
I'll go with the Moonshae's... it's an area I'm not very interested in, so it's sure to be the first pick.

Not that it much matters to me in the first place, can't say any 4e books have really caught my interest, though one never knows I suppose, it could be the first.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

What thread is this announcement in?  The linky only goes to the general forum listing...  Very interested, thanks!
Fixed the link...

HAND OF KARSUS!

I'm hoping its the Grand History of the Realms Ultimate Edition but I doubt it is. Cool
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
I'm hoping that its afix to the frcg including the domains for each deity/ primal spirit/arch fey/ this and that.

and that character pages on tehtyr that were not in the character guide...

but I doubt that too   
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I hope it's either Cormanthor, Narfell or Raumathar.
I hope it's either Cormanthor, Narfell or Raumathar.

did you mean Cormanthor,Narfe; or Rashemen??

Raumathar fell long ago, before the dark times, before the empire and after an ampire or two.....

back when.... okay I got nothing   
I just want a hint. Something, anything. I'm stoked that BRJ is on this project. That's how you know it's going to be good.
Kara-Tur Kara-Tur Kara-Tur Kara-Tur KARA-TUR!

...Please?
Could it be the new Undermountain book?
My money is on Undermoutain.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Undermountain is supposed to be released in April. Thats what was being said around GenCon. BRJ has hinted that it might be like a Grand History Book...

HAND OF KARSUS!

Pretty sure Brian's project isn't Undermountain, if only because of the timing (as 18DELTA notes). It's something else. Something big. And cool. And Brian R. James.

Cheers
Thanks for confirming that erik, that is a great relief. While my DM side looks on the Undermountain offering with a degree of "YAY" my FR fan side is less incandescently overjoyed. This other announcement though, now that sounds like something my FR fan side might get idioticly excited about ;).

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
Thanks for confirming that erik, that is a great relief. While my DM side looks on the Undermountain offering with a degree of "YAY" my FR fan side is less incandescently overjoyed. This other announcement though, now that sounds like something my FR fan side might get idioticly excited about ;).

Halls of Undermountain releases in April (www.amazon.com/Halls-Undermountain-Dunge...).

I am very much looking forward to see what Mr. James and his design team are working on for a summer release.  Alas, I am out of the loop on that.
www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC...

Originally posted by Brian R. James

[br]Lest anyone think I’ve jumped ship, don’t be too hasty.

For those that may not be aware, I'm currently leading the design of a new Realms sourcebook due out next summer. [:p]

Golarion is a fantastic setting, but the Forgotten Realms will always be my first love.

Saw this over at candlekeep. Color me excited.  

Seems to be Menzoberranzan (found via this thread).

It makes sense, with the rest of the other products, The Urban Underdark - Dungeon Tiles and Vaults of the Underdark Map Pack

Brian R. James was also a contributor of the 2010 Underdark supplement as well, although the focus of that one was on the Core World Setting, not Forgotten Realms.

Sweet!! Good find.

HAND OF KARSUS!

The Drow fanboi in me approves this selection!
Sign In to post comments