Blightsteel Colossus is not a bad card, you are

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Cosmic Horror is. As is Ebon Praetor. Why then, does the governing power level decided upon yield cards on a different power curve than what yielded good fatties with drawbacks? I like my fatties with baggage, dammit. Why, I remember the third time I rage-quit Magic. It was over this new-fangled creature that was enormous and had no drawbacks. It was Darksteel Colossus.

Why then, did I quit? I'd been one-upped by something anti-thetical to my preferences. There's no merits to card design, just value judgments. I hate watching Deadliest Warrior for the same reason. Who's to say giant robots are tougher than Cthuhlu monsters? It's silly every which way!

So when something comes along and corrupts the sentimentality of what I despise, I can't help but grin. Thank you, Blightsteel Colossus, for stopping the bad man.


It begs the question though...now that I think about it. How tough is an Orc? Or an Otyugh? How about a NaOcho? Who says so? It`s just another reason to hate creature spells that aren`t Worldgorgers or kobolds.

Who are the toughest creatures in Magic? Pit Spawn? Engulfing Slagwurm? A Talruum Champion  equipped with a Runesword? Who do you think? I just wish that power level didn't not equal concept. And who's the Matt Ward-shaped object that keeps upping the power scales, anyhow?

Just so long as I don't have to look at Darksteel Colossus anymore.


 Why, I remember the third time I rage-quit Magic. It was over this new-fangled creature that was enormous and had no drawbacks. It was Darksteel Colossus.

.... 


Just so long as I don't have to look at Darksteel Colossus anymore.




Blightsteel is the same way though. He's enormous and has no drawbacks, that and he puts you on a shorter clock than his uncorrupted form.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight

 Why, I remember the third time I rage-quit Magic. It was over this new-fangled creature that was enormous and had no drawbacks. It was Darksteel Colossus.

.... 


Just so long as I don't have to look at Darksteel Colossus anymore.




Blightsteel is the same way though. He's enormous and has no drawbacks, that and he puts you on a shorter clock than his uncorrupted form.



Yeah, but the damage was already done to my favourites by Darksteel, and now I can laugh spitefully at people who complained about DSC benig obsoleted.
Magic designers have realized that Blightsteel Colossus has a massive drawback, though. That drawback is "If you control less than 12 lands and Blightsteel Colossus is in your hand, your maximum hand size is reduced by one." Huge flashy creatures like Blightsteel Colossus and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn are completely dead in your hand unless you have a deck that's good at exploiting them.

Who are the toughest creatures in Magic? 



Ramirez DePietro.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I am a great card, don't know what you are talking about.
Magic designers have realized that Blightsteel Colossus has a massive drawback, though. That drawback is "If you control less than 12 lands and Blightsteel Colossus is in your hand, your maximum hand size is reduced by one." Huge flashy creatures like Blightsteel Colossus and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn are completely dead in your hand unless you have a deck that's good at exploiting them.



It would be an actual drawback if things like Tron lands, loci, Tinker, the Polymorphs, Shape Anew, etc. didn't exist. A halfway decent deck builder won't just toss in an eldrazi or a colossus and hope to get down 10+ lands to cast them.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)

Cosmic Horror is. As is Ebon Praetor. Why then, does the governing power level decided upon yield cards on a different power curve than what yielded good fatties with drawbacks? I like my fatties with baggage, dammit. Why, I remember the third time I rage-quit Magic. It was over this new-fangled creature that was enormous and had no drawbacks. It was Darksteel Colossus.

Why then, did I quit? I'd been one-upped by something anti-thetical to my preferences. There's no merits to card design, just value judgments. I hate watching Deadliest Warrior for the same reason. Who's to say giant robots are tougher than Cthuhlu monsters? It's silly every which way!

So when something comes along and corrupts the sentimentality of what I despise, I can't help but grin. Thank you, Blightsteel Colossus, for stopping the bad man.


It begs the question though...now that I think about it. How tough is an Orc? Or an Otyugh? How about a NaOcho? Who says so? It`s just another reason to hate creature spells that aren`t Worldgorgers or kobolds.

Who are the toughest creatures in Magic? Pit Spawn? Engulfing Slagwurm? A Talruum Champion  equipped with a Runesword? Who do you think? I just wish that power level didn't not equal concept. And who's the Matt Ward-shaped object that keeps upping the power scales, anyhow?

Just so long as I don't have to look at Darksteel Colossus anymore.




The mana cost is drawback enough. And it would be boring if all fatties were like that (they would also be played less)
And yet, they don't print sweetness like Ebon Praetor anymore. That and Colossus of Sardia.
Abyssal Persecutor

They still print fatties with other drawbacks, just not that many. Casual players would buy less of a product if they printed more because they don't understand why they could be considered good. 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Abyssal Persecutor

They still print fatties with other drawbacks, just not that many. Casual players would buy less of a product if they printed more because they don't understand why they could be considered good. 


Actually, when I first started playing, my friend and I though Primeval Force was a good card simply because it was a five mana 8/8. So what if had a huge drawback? To a new player, the big numbers are awesome anyways.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Ah yes, Abyssal Persecutor. Also, Ramirezzzz!!!
The last time I played Blightsteel, my EDH group told me that poison was 25. I took that piece of garbage out of my deck immediately afterward.
EDH is still 10, I think. I doubt they'd put it above 20.

In either case, there's likely to be one poison player in EDH (meaning I have to damage the players my way), and you get all of 79 cards that mention infect or proliferate, but many of those cards just have "infect" in their name, while Burn the Impure is definitely not what the infect player wants; even as removal, it's strictly worse than Bolt and Incinerate in an infect deck. Also, those cards are in all five colors, meaning it's unlikely you'll play all of them; if I make Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (works great with any "power matters" mechanic) my commander, I have 19. (The white or colorless ones, minus Trigon of Infestation, Vector Asp, and Pestilent Souleater.) And infect tends to be politically bad.

Blightsteel, despite all this, is good in EDH: An instant loss condition is good.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Ludevic's Abomination would like a word with you. A phatty that doesn't require you to physically have 12 lands, and even hides as a 0/3 for a few turns making your opponent forget it even exists (lol, not really).

The drawback might not be as big as in the past, but having to invest in a relatively harmless egg (that is vulnerable to a plethora of removal) over the course of a few turns pretty much is a fatty with a drawback. Add in the fact that it's not as powerful or durable as Emmy and the One-shot Robot and it's fairly clear to see that fatties haven't changed as much as you think. The drawback is just more reasonable, and not utterly retarded like taking a potential 7 damage every upkeep, or having to pay 4 mana a turn. This fatty even encourages interaction between the players and adds a dimension of decision making in weighing the cost against the benefit when paying the mana to the Ludevic's Test Subject.

Not to mention that even the Big Guys have their weaknesses.

A good fatty shouldn't be something you have to worry too much about (on your end) once it's out, it's the summoning that should be the challenge (think Sargeras in World of Warcraft: a real bitch to summon, but if he ever actually was summoned, he would utterly annihilate everything and anything).



Sign In to post comments