Falchion or Greatsword for an Assassin?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which is the better weapon for a Bleak Disciple assasin? Or is the best weapon one I am not mentioning?
Which is the better weapon for a Bleak Disciple assasin? Or is the best weapon one I am not mentioning?

If you're an Elf, the Falchion will scream ahead of the Greatsword.  High crit, plus an awesome replacement for Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades), cannot go amiss.  I myself use it on my level 4 Assassin, and I love it.

Otherwise, a Fullblade will be better, especially if you're a Githzerai.
My assassin is a human. So Fullblade then? What about at level 1, is there an advantage in starting with a Falchion over a Greatsword?
My assassin is a human. So Fullblade then? What about at level 1, is there an advantage in starting with a Falchion over a Greatsword?

The Falchion (2d4) will, on average, deal 5 damage per round (DPR).  A Greatsword will deal 5.5 DPR on average.

Assuming a critrange of solely 20, high-crit dice of 2d4 brings you to doing 0.5 DPR over a regular 2d4 weapon, which makes the two weapons even.  Leveling to 11, or expanding your crit range (whichever comes first) will make the Falchion deal better damage over the Greatsword over time.

A Fullblade will beat both options with a 7.35 DPR, and will make even more of a difference as you add more crit-dice.  However, it costs a feat - which makes the Falchion better for Elves, as they don't need to spend a proficiency feat AND has a superior Weapon Focus option.  For humans, however, the Fullblade or Executioner's Axe is the way to go, especially since you have an extra feat to buy proficiency in either weapon.
Sign In to post comments