Fakeartist's Draft Decks and Suggestion Thread

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why am I making this topic? I want to keep a record for the various draft decks that I make almost every Friday. Also, I want to see if there is anyone who has any comments in regards what I'm doing right, wrong, or anything you want. I describe myself as an average drafter, sub par card designer, and overall casual player. I don't like spending a lot of money for standard or extended decks, I just like having fun. Since draft is the most even playing field I play, I tend to gravitate towards that kind of setting. If this is in the wrong place, feel free to let me know.

Anyways:
Red-Blue Draft Deck
8 x Islands
9 x Mountains

1 x Hysterical Blindness
2 x Stitcher's Apprentice
1 x Stitched Drake
1 x Makeshift Mauler
1 x Skaab Ruinator
1 x Undead Alchemist
1 x Fortress Crab
1 x Ashmouth Hound
2 x Feral Ridgewolf
2 x Pitchburn Devils
1 x Village Ironsmith
1 x Traitorous Blood
1 x Into the Maw of hell
1 x rossway Vampire
1 x Rakish Heir
1 x Fallenrath Marauders
1 x Sharpened Pitchfork
1 x One-Eyed Scarecrow
2 x Blazing Torch

Won Two Rounds, Lost One Round, second place in my pod.

Black-White Draft Deck

6 x Plains
11 x Swamps

1 x Gallows Warden
1 x Rebuke
1 x Unburial Rites
2 x Manor Skeleton
1 x Repear from the Abyss
1 x Endless Ranks of the Undead
1 x Dead Weight
2 x Altar's Reap
1 x Brain Weevil
1 x Markov Patrician
2 x Abattoir Ghoul
1 x Skeletal Grimace
1 x Falkenrath Noble
1 x Screeching Bat
2 x Victim of Night
1 x Diregraf Ghoul
1 x Typhoid Rats
1 x Blazing Torch
1 x Inquisitor's Flail
1 x Trepanation Blade

Won Two Rounds, Tied One Round, Tied for First

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

White - Green Draft Deck

8 x Plains
9 x Forest

1 x Feeling of Dread
1 x Selfless Cathar
1 x Spectral Rider
1 x Voiceless Spirt
1 x Abbey Griffin
1 x Rebuke
1 x Angelic Overseer
1 x Chapel Guits
1 x Avacynian Priest
1 x Ambush Viper
1 x Travel Preparations
1 x Grizzled Outcasts
1 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 x Spider Spawning
1 x Somberwald Spider
1 x Spidery Grasp
1 x Gutter Grime
1 x Villagers of Estwald
3 x Festerhide Boar
1 x Mask of Avacyn
1 x Blazing Torch

Won one round, won one match of the second round, did not start the second match, dropped.

Black - White Draft Deck [AKA Zombies!!!]

10 x Swamp
7 x Plains

1 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Bloodgift Demon
1 x Desciple of Griselbrand
1 x Markov Patrician
1 x Endless Ranks of the Dead
1 x Moan of the Unhallowed
2 x Victim of Night
2 x Ghoulcaller's Chant
2 x Abattoir Ghoul
3 x Ghoulraiser
1 x Spare from Evil
2 x Village Bell-Ringer
2 x Smite the Monstrous
1 x Trepanation Blade
1 x Mask of Avacyn
1 x Cobbled Wings

Won one round, lost the second round, lost one match of third round, dropped.

Blue-White Draft Deck

11 x Island
6 x Plains

1 x Makeshift Mauler
1 x Fortress Crab
1 x Claustrophobia
1 x Silent Departure
1 x Forbidden Alchemy
1 x Moon Heron
1 x Murder of Crows
1 x Skaab Ruinator
2 x Selhoff Occultist
2 x Stitcher's Apprentice
2 x Stitched Drake
1 x Thraben Sentry
1 x Village Bell-Ringer
1 x Smite the Monstrous
2 x Cloistered Youth
1 x One-Eyed Scarecrow
1 x Mask of Avacyn
2 x Galvanic Juggernaut

This deck has one of the more interesting stories to tell. The first game I'm paired with a kid who hasn't played the set before, so I play fairly easy not wanting to crush him and trying to have fun. I win the first game easily. The second game I have a full board of creatures ready to pounce, but I only attack slowly into him. Then he plays an Abbey Griffon, gives it spectral flight, a pitch fork, and an inquisitor's flail. My fliers swiftly died and we went to game three. I got a decent openning hand, but never drew any removal. By turn eight I was facing down 7/7s, 6/6s, and flying monstrocitis. Even so I had a lot of fun doing it and do not regret losing to him. It was an odd man pod of nine people so I got the bye. I watched a few players play and when a guy I knew finished his games, undefeated so far, I asked to play him stating that I wouldn't play him because he was undefeated while I lost and had a bye. I played two games with him, they were good games, and I won both of them. Then I went on to play my second actual opponent for the tournament for the last round. The first game he had no mana, but the second game he got more than me while still playing powerful creatures and cursing me. I won that game. So my score was 2-1 at this point, because I lost to someone who didn't win again and got a bye I was not going to get prizes. I stuck around though. Eventually the undefeated finished his match and since other people were still playing I asked him for a game. We only played one because my ride came at the end, but after a very good game I defeated the undefeated. A night of great games lead me to make this description instead of the "Won two games, lost one game" which I would have done any other friday.

Black-Red Draft Deck

[The Vampire Deck]

9 x Swamp
7 x Mountain
1 x Ghost Quarter

1 x Markov Patrician
1 x Victim of Night
2 x Dead Weight
1 x Moan of the Unhallowed
1 x Tribute to Hunger
1 x Falkenrath Noble
1 x Stalking Vampire
1 x Bloodline Keeper
1 x Bloodgift Demon
1 x Ashmouth Hound
1 x Nightbird's Clutches
1 x Kessig Wolf
1 x Traitorous Blood
2 x Feral Ridgewolf
1 x Crossway Vampire
2 x Bloodcrazed Neonate
1 x Reckless Waif
2 x Hanweir Watchkeep
1 x Cobbled Wings

It looks a lot better than it is, or perhaps I just didn't get very lucky. I won one round, lost two rounds.

Hm... Very few people appear interested. Oh well.

Blue-Black Draft Deck

9 x Island
8 x Swamp

1 x Think Twice
1 x Claustrophobia
1 x Moon Heron
1 x Makeshift Mauler
1 x Stitched Drake
2 x Fortress Crab
2 x Spectral Flight
2 x Silent Departure
1 x Skaab Goliath
1 x Civilized Scholar
1 x Invisible Stalker
1 x Mindshrieker
1 x Altar's Reap
1 x Unburial Rites
1 x Falkenrath Noble
2 x Abattoir Ghoul
2 x Morkrut Banshee
1 x Army of the Damned
1 x Mask of Avacyn

Won two rounds, lost one round, tied for second.

Interesting round, my very first. I was playing against the exact same kid mentioned above. He is, apparently, an exceptionally good player. That, and he picked Olivia Voldaren. The first game I won with a rather explosive openning. The second game I lost to Olivia which killed all my guys and then swung in with an 11/11, this after a good hand quickly became mediocre at best as I didn't get to do much. The third game was a mess of twisting and turning that I was able to be brought back from the brink. Olivia showed up, I had a flying hexproof Abattoir Ghoul. He dealt damage to his own creatures to the point where Olivia was huge, a 9/9. My 6/6 Abattoir Ghoul swung in for an attack as I knew I was going to lose unless I could kill that thing. He, while pretty high up in the life spectrum, dealt another damage to his creature making it a 10/10 and blocked. My abattoir Ghoul died, but I then played a Morkrut Banshee, just barely killing it and gaining ten life in the process. The next few turns were largely undecided because he had killed everything else on my board, while he still had a pitchburn devil and several others creatures while I just had a banshee. Next turn I would drew a Fortress Crab and from there became too big to kill, but I still wouldn't attack. The next turn I got my swamp. Or rather my eighth land. You could guess that the only card I still had in my hand was Army of the Damned. It may have been the twentieth turn though, but I finally played it. Even with all those creatures I still couldn't kill him the very next turn, he had gained an extraordinarily large amount of life from tribute to hunger and his markov patrician that was a 4/2 regenerating creature. The third turn after I cast it I won. It was an amazing game and I was very satisfied. Granted if he never blocked he would have won, then again if I had gotten my eighth land I would have won a long time before that. I also needed the mask to prevent the ghoul from being taken and the spectral flight to make it fly and strong enough to defeat Olivia. Everything had to come together perfectly for me to win.

The next game I went up against a primarily green werewolf deck. My openning hand contained an Abattoir ghoul, three lands, an invisible stalker, and two spectral flights. The game went predictably from there, add on that I went first and you see a 5/5 flying unblockable hexproof creature that killed him on turn six. The next game had a spectral flight, a civilized scholar, a banshee, and several lands. I kept that hand since my opponent wanted to draw first. My very next draw would be a skaab goliath, which I would later discard to make my 2/3 flying scholar into a 7/3 flying brute. That game ended on the seventh turn. I would draw a fortress crab so I could block him without being too open. The game ended with him having three werewolves, two 4/6s and one 3/3 intimidate with a werewolf enchantment. I can't say if I would have won if he went first, but I might have because of a lack of fliers.

The next match was the finals I went up against a rather good player. I had a good openning hand apart from the fact that I only had one land. In spite of being on the draw I didn't want to risk it so I mulliganed. The next hand would be similarly decent but again only with one land, this time I kept it since my opponent who was going first did not mulligan. Neither of us really had any land. He had an island and a moorland haunt. He also had the card that made mana by putting the top card of the library into the graveyard and civilized cholar. Me? I had three lands, an invisible stalker, and a claustrophobia which I used on the civilized scholar. Neither of us would get any land for a while, but I would draw a civilized scholar. I discarded a creature and flipped it. He only had the creature to make mana on the board so I swung. I didn't think he would block, but he did. The two traded. He would get a plains and would be elder Cathar. I would get a fourth land and play abattoir ghoul. He would then get another island and play thraben sentry. I had four lands and so did he, neither of us would attack and we would just keep filling the board. I had most of my creatures out along with a hexproof abattoir ghoul. I would play my goliath and eventually a falkenrath noble. We were both low in life, but he woudl feeling in dread me every now and then to sneak a few points of damage in because of his army of spirits. Later, after over a half and hour of gameplay, I would attack with everything after painfully doing the math to make sure that my four life would not be used up in the assault against his eight life. I only dealt three damage, but with all the creatures trading he lost six life to the falkenrath and I won. The next game I got three creatures out, but two feelings of dread flashbacked twice killed me off. The third game I finally played first and kept a halfway decent hand. three lands, invisible stalker, mask, moon heron, and army of the damned. Well, I didn't see my fourth land until turn five and I would play an abbatoir ghoul and a civilized scholar. He stole my scholar and when I gave spectral flight to my ghoul he killed it with smite the monstrous. He then proceeded to use three feelings of dread (though only two would be flash backed) to kill me off.

I would get second, the person I beat got third. Top three got prizes, I would trade two packs for Olivia Voldaren. It was an amazingly fun night.

Note to all players: Feeling of Dread is awesome and being a common means players can horde them. If you play white, and especially if you play blue-white, grab them. Do not allow players to get five (he had five in his deck)! Its just insane! That said I really liked my first and third opponents, it was a challenging night and look forward to more like it. Red was also good, with just seven cards I had an insanely good red sideboard including brimestone volley (an insane seventh pick), curse of stalked prey, two red werewolves, and a stormkirk noble. It was, however, not worth replacing black.

decks seem interesting. It would be easier to get a feel for the them if they were organized by cmc ;)
decks seem interesting. It would be easier to get a feel for the them if they were organized by cmc ;)

Let's see if I can make things easier on you.

Lands:
9 x Island
8 x Swamp

One CMC:
2 x Silent Departure

Two CMC:
1 x Think Twice
2 x Spectral Flight
1 x Invisible Stalker
1 x Mindshrieker
1 x Altar's Reap
1 x Mask of Avacyn

Three CMC:
1 x Claustrophobia
1 x Stitched Drake
1 x Civilized Scholar

Four CMC:
1 x Moon Heron
1 x Makeshift Mauler
2 x Fortress Crab
1 x Falkenrath Noble
2 x Abattoir Ghoul

Five CMC:
1 x Unburial Rites
2 x Morkrut Banshee

Six CMC:
1 x Skaab Goliath

Seven CMC:

Eight CMC:
1 x Army of the Damned

Deck looks sweet. Everything looks nice except for much of the 2 drops. Though it may have won you some games, I don't really approve of the Invisible Stalker package. Plus, I'm not sure if you have enough creatures for altar's reap. I'd also reccomend adding 1 or 2 plains for the unburial rites flashback. Definitely worth it IMO.
Deck looks sweet. Everything looks nice except for much of the 2 drops. Though it may have won you some games, I don't really approve of the Invisible Stalker package. Plus, I'm not sure if you have enough creatures for altar's reap. I'd also reccomend adding 1 or 2 plains for the unburial rites flashback. Definitely worth it IMO.

Altar's Reap is primarily used on a case by case basis. The spectral flights and the mask were the most useful cards I played behind the Abattoir Ghoul. The invisible stalker is a clock and in certain situations a very fast one. Besides, my sideboard didn't have much to use...

Another Altar's Reap
Sensory Depravation
Curse of the Bloody Tomb
another Moon heron
and a Battleground geist.

The last two, abeit, are pretty decent cards. I just didn't have anything I would be willing to get rid of for them apart from the Altar's reap, and I've had a number of prior occassions that made the card too useful to just be a sideboard card.

The rest were decent red, very good initial white (three cards), and some erroneous green.

Your gonna play decks which kill you faster than the invisible stalker clock. If it were up to me, I'd replace the stalker and 2 spectral flights with a sensory deprivation (surprisingly sweet card), moon heron, and battleground geist. All of these are good, playable cards. Stalker + flight isn't.
Your gonna play decks which kill you faster than the invisible stalker clock. If it were up to me, I'd replace the stalker and 2 spectral flights with a sensory deprivation (surprisingly sweet card), moon heron, and battleground geist. All of these are good, playable cards. Stalker + flight isn't.

Spectral flight doesn't have to be on the stalker. It is extraordinarily useful and can go on just about anything.

Auras are inherently weak cards because they set you up for two for ones. Any removal spell hits your creature and both those cards are down the drain. They are especially bad against bounce (silent deaparture is a big aura punisher). They are fine sideboard cards if game 1 you don't see any removal but otherwise they are very risky inclusions.  Meanwhile, Sensory Deprivation, Moon Heron, and Battlegroung Geist, if they are to be dealt with, all guarantee at least one card.

Anyway, this doesn't mean they don't have their place (excessive aggro), it's just that in my opinion your deck is not built to use them optimally.
Auras are inherently weak cards because they set you up for two for ones. Any removal spell hits your creature and both those cards are down the drain. They are especially bad against bounce (silent deaparture is a big aura punisher). They are fine sideboard cards if game 1 you don't see any removal but otherwise they are very risky inclusions.  Meanwhile, Sensory Deprivation, Moon Heron, and Battlegroung Geist, if they are to be dealt with, all guarantee at least one card.

Anyway, this doesn't mean they don't have their place (excessive aggro), it's just that in my opinion your deck is not built to use them optimally.

Oh I understand. That's why I almost never pick up auras and use them in a deck. However Innistrad is pretty different in this regard. Not only are creatures not so easy to get rid of in Innistrad, fliers are particularly difficult to beat. Its a risk, but its one that I'm more than willing to take. It has helped me win every game I won, and I only paid for the two for one event once in the 8 matches I played.

Does this make sense to you?

By the way, thank you for the advice!

I'm glad it's working for you. Keep us posted on future decks!
I'm glad it's working for you. Keep us posted on future decks!

I plan on it.

That said my very next foray into the draft deck building business isn't all that great.

1 win, two loses. The deck will be up tomorrow.

White-Red Draft Deck

9 x Plains
5 x Mountain
1 x Island
2 x Sulfur Falls

1 x Thraben Sentry
1 x Chapel Geist
1 x Avacyn Priest
1 x Spare from Evil
1 x Abbey Griffin
1 x Feeling of Dread
1 x Smite the Monstrous
1 x Slayer of the Wicked
1 x Spectral Rider
2 x Cloistered Youth
1 x Dearly Departed
1 x Mikaeus, the Lunarch
1 x Ashmouth hound
1 x Village Ironsmith
1 x Tormented Pariah
1 x Nightbird's Clutches
1 x Feral Ridgewolf
1 x Traitorous Blood
1 x Instigator Gang
1 x Balefire Dragon
1 x Silver-Inlaid Dagger
1 x Mask of Avacyn

This appears to be one of the best decks you can draft. Plenty of removal, both early bombs and late bombs, and I even got two rare lands that fit into my color because apparently there were better things in the pack. How did this deck play out?

Win, albeit against a horde of Green Werewolves that I nearly lost to in the first round.
Lose because of inferior mana and their having even better and bigger bombs in the second round.
And Lose again to one of the most original decks I have ever seen, ever, in all of draft deck history.

Three Spider Spawning
Boneyard Wurm
Two Knaw to the bone
A card that allows you to bring back spells with flashback
Two cards that allow you to put 3 cards from your graveyard to your library
three Armored Skaabs
A few dream twists
and the mythic rare that mills yourself

This is the most unbeatable draft deck I've ever seen in my life. I don't remember much else, but those cards combine to give you hell. There's only one type of card that can beat it: Board clearers, something I didn't have but actually actually passed in favor of the instigator gang (the deal 2 damage to all creatures without flying card). Its unbeatable unless you had either one of the two red board clearers unless you happen to be incredibly fast, which my deck was, until he plays knaw to the bone. like. crazy. In the end he was literally able to do spider spawning twice a turn for god knows how many tokens no matter how many I killed. Then he just killed me. I have to give him props, he only lost to an army of blood crazed neonites with a Rakish heir and furor of the bitten attacked... and I believe there was an Olivia Voldaren involved too.

White-Blue Draft Deck

10 x Plains
7   x Island

1   x Avacynian Priest
1   x Rebuke
1   x Smite the Monstrous
2   x Feeling of Dread
2   x Chapel Geist
1   x Cloistered Youth
1   x Fiend Hunter
1   x Slayer of the Wicked
1   x Mentor of the Meek
1   x Moon heron
1   x Makeshift Mauler
2   x Silent Departure
1   x Lantern Spirit
1   x Civilized Scholar
1   x Blazing Torch
2   x One-Eyed Scarecrow
1   x Butcher's Cleaver
1   x Geistcatcher's Rig
1   x Creepy Doll

I second place with this one. I lost the first match of the third round in one of the most hilariously frustrating ways:

First hand, seven cards, one island. I'm going first, Mulligan.
Second hand, six cards, one island, no blue cards.
Third hand, five cards: Cloistered Youth and Lantern Spirit, three lands, one island. The Best hand I could have hoped for in this situation without a scholar in it. Keep.

At the tim of the games end I had only ever drawn a Butcher's cleaver and a Silent departure. I ended the game with 11 lands. 11 lands. Wonderful. Then I had to leave, since I was leaving he won the packs. I did get second, so I got packs.

Why no Paraselene!?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Why no Paraselene!?

Because Paraselene is too cool for drafting.

Why no Paraselene!?

I don't get it. Like, does it burst into flames?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Why no Paraselene!?

Only when combined with a few special secret ingredients. Like Gasoline and fire.

Why no Paraselene!?

Only when combined with a few special secret ingredients. Like Gasoline and fire.

Not friction?
Why no Paraselene!?

Not friction?

Well, it would take a lot of friction but that works too.

White-Black Draft Deck

8 x Plains
2 x Island
7 x Swamp

1 x Village Bell-Ringer
1 x Avacynian Priest
1 x Voiceless Spirit
1 x Thraben Sentry
2 x Feeling of Dread
2 x Abbey Griffin
1 x Gallows Warden
1 x Spectral Rider
1 x Fiend Hunter
2 x Mikaeus, the Lunarch
1 x Typhoid Rats
1 x Victim of Night
1 x Altar's Reap
1 x Bloodline Keeper
1 x One-Eyed Scarecrow
1 x Blazing Torch
1 x Galvanic Juggernaught
1 x Mask of Avacyn
1 x Trepanation Blade
1 x Inquisitor's Flail

Won two, lost one, third place in pod.

Well, I had a lot of junk black after openning Bloodline Keeper in the second pack, I just didn't actually get any that I was really willing to put into the deck. Some of the junk black was decent filler, I just couldn't justify putting. When I tried to avoid black I found out I was two cards short from 23 with all my white, including a Paraselene. So I decided to stick with my mistake and it worked surprisingly well except for my second match in which I went up against the undefeated. Kessig Wolfrun killed me... I had superior board position and had even dealt him a fair amount of damage, but I was out of tricks when he attacked me with two creatures with a Kessig wolfrun open. I had two creatures as well, a voiceless spirit with a trepanation blade attached, a bloodline keeper, and a vampire token. It didn't matter... The third round was a bad one, I just overran him. Oh, the second mikaeus was a foil, so I was very happy about that.

Blue-White Draft Deck

10 x Island
7 x Plains

1 x Claustrophobia
2 x Think Twice
3 x Moon Heron
1 x Lantern Spirit
1 x Civilized Scholar
1 x Dissipate
1 x Invisible Stalker
2 x Murder of Crows
1 x Snapcaster Mage
1 x Avacynian Priest
1 x Smite the Monstrous
2 x Thraben Sentry
2 x Feeling of Dread
2 x Rebuke
1 x Geist-Honored Monk
1 x Inquisitor's Flail

Is this a good deck? I wouldn't really know. The first round I tied just one turn away from winning because I only had one blue mana the entire game. The second round I lost to a turn two Mayor and a turn three Stormirk Noble and that Hamlet guy (he played the green priest), and turn four his additional monster were unnecessary. I barely survived to turn five and lost. This was game three of the first round. The first two were good, even if his explosive openning in the first one killed me then too, albeit slower. The third round I got the by...

*sigh*

Red-Blue Draft Deck

8 x Mountain
8 x Island
1 x Ghost Quarter

1 x Geistflame
1 x Bloodcrazed Neonate
1 x Feral Ridgewolf
1 x Brimstone Volley
1 x Tormented Pariah
2 x Ashmouth Hound
2 x Village Ironsmith
1 x Reckless Waif
1 x Hanweir Watchkeep
1 x Scourge of Geier Reach
1 x Blasphemous Act
1 x Fortress Crab
2 x Think Twice
1 x Civilized Scholar
1 x Lantern Spirit
1 x Dissipate
1 x Battleground Geist
1 x Murder of Crows
1 x Blazing Torch
1 x Sharpened Pitchfork

This deck is a little bit tainted for me. In the second round, the first match, I had just equipped a pitchfork to an Ashmouth Hound. The opposing player made a comment calling it a nice combo that gave it +1/+1. Without thinking I just agreed to it and said "yes it was", then as he read the card aloud I realized my mistake and then he said "no it doesn't, you lied to me." Then I did something even more stupid, I shrugged and said I didn't read the card. How stupid could I have been to say something like that? I didn't actually read the card at the time, so it was honest, but this late into the season you instinctively know what the card does just by a glance. I didn't glance until I spoke and I was a complete and total idiot. Anyways this happened last friday, and though I had a lot of fun playing against him and the other matches as the days went on I remembered this and thought what a miserable person he must think I am. Now he probably wouldn't even remember it, but I care a great deal about what people think of me as a player. I don't want to be seen as dishonest. In the end this is perhaps my most regretful deck I've posted up since this topic began. It is, perhaps, fitting that I won the first rounds but lost the other two in three games. Though two of those matches, each pivotal in deciding the later two rounds (The middle round after winning the first), were done because I kept an exceptionally good hand that lacked a mountain.

About a week ago I issued a challenge with a pool of cards to see the best deck you could make out of it. Me? I saw rares I wanted to play and I would end up playing all of them, to great success. Mana was never a real problem for me unless it was not having enough.

8 x Plains
4 x Island
4 x Mountain
1 x swamp

3 x Avacynian Priest
2 x Feeling of Dread
1 x Silverchase Fox
1 x Bonds of Faith
1 x Cloistered Youth
1 x Fiend Hunter
1 x Slayer of the Wicked
1 x Thraben Sentry
2 x Smite the Monstrous
1 x Gallows Warden
1 x Dearly Departed

1 x Ludevic's Test Subject
1 x Skaab Goliath

1 x Devil's Play
1 x Feral Ridgewolf
1 x Pitchburn Devils

1 x Evil Twin

1 x Traveler's Amulet
1 x Blazing Torch
1 x Mask of Avacyn

The deck itself played fine, I won my first round with ease and lost both matches of the second round with the ability to win just within my grasp if not for Heretic's Punishment. Its maddening when that happens. I did do something stupid though on the first match of the second round. I had the impression that a traveler's amulet was a Terramorphic expanse, so I had attempted to use it that way, which was a mistake. It was caught before I actually searched but I felt like an idiot and apologized after the match was over. The third round we had three games. The first match I lost, his was just so much quicker having two Avacyn's pilgrim out and a gavony township. I was scared to death of that gavony township, but I did beat it the next game with Ludevic trampling on through with Traben Sentry with a mask attached. The third match I kept a hand that could have been really good, if I had gotten another mana. I got Ludevic out in the first few turns, but couldn't do anything with it becuase I needed to play creatures with a limited mana pool. I played the Evil Twin cloaning a 7/7 and subsequently killed his 7/7 to buy me time but I lost the game with a Skaab Goliath and the Dearly Departed in my hand that I was only just able to play.

Okay, this was an interesting draft that left me with some pretty good cards in four colors. I'd like to see what kind of decks you could make out of a pool like this:

The Draft Pool:

White

One Mana
Champion of the Parish

Three Mana
Elder Cathar

Four Mana
Abbey Griffin

Five Mana
Thraben Purebloods

Six Mana
Dearly Departed

Blue

Two Mana
Memory's Journey
Stitcher's Apprentice

Three Mana
Headless Skaab
Claustrophobia

Four mana
Bone to Ash

Six Mana
Skaab Goliath
Geralf's Mindcrusher

Black

Four Mana
Gruesome Discovery

Red

One Mana
Forge Devil
Reckless Waif
Infernal Plunge

Two Mana
Curse of the Pierced Heart
Ancient Grudge
Hinterland Hermit x2
Village Ironsmith

Three Mana
Kessig Wolf
Brimstone Volley

Four Mana
Tormented Pariah

Five Mana
Pitchburn Devils
Scourge of Geier Reach
Curse of Bloodletting
Falkenrath Marauders

Green

Two Mana
Scorned Villager

Three Mana
Favor of the Woods
Grave Bramble

Four Mana
Ulvenwald Mystics

Five Mana
Village Survivors

Six Mana
Gravetiller Wurm

Artifacts

One Mana
Traveler's Amulet

Two Mana
Cobbled Wings
Sharpened Pitchfork
Mask of Avacyn
Executioner's hood

Three Mana
One-Eyed Scarecrow

Five Mana
Creepy Doll

Land
Grim Backwoods

my deck

Draft Deck
Island x5
Forest x4
Mountain x8

Stitcher's Apprentice
Headless Skaab
Claustrophobia
Skaab Goliath
Geralf's Mindcrusher
Reckless Waif
Hinterland Hermit x2
Village Ironsmith
Kessig Wolf
Brimstone Volley
Pitchburn Devils
Scourge of Geier Reach
Curse of Bloodletting
Falkenrath Marauders
Scorned Villager
Ulvenwald Mystics
Village Survivors
Gravetiller Wurm
Traveler's Amulet
Mask of Avacyn
Executioner's hood
One-Eyed Scarecrow
Creepy Doll

This deck wasn't that great. My lack of fliers killed me If only I had a few more white, green, or blue then I would have been able to make a better deck. Because neither of my two supporting colors were good enough to stand alone (well, in comparison to some of the others). The first game he my opponent stalled while I had no real mana. He was at 2 life for the entire game while I lost to his forestwalk. The next game I lost due to a flier and spider's reach, though i would have won the very next turn if he didn't kill me. The next few games I won decisively. The third round I mulliganned down to 5 on the first turn. I actually lasted until the tenth or so turn before he just flat out overruned my not so intimidating werewolves. The next game I mulliganned down to six with one land but several low casting cards. I kept because I didn't want to mull down again and that match I lost a bit faster with three lands for most of the game and a fourth near the end. My opponent wanted to take a look at my pool of cards and spent a good thirty minutes plotting out how he would make the deck, largely by gutting almost all of green, keeping one green to splash the wurm. All in all it was a fun side show to the main sealed pool and I enjoyed it!

9 x Plains
6 x Forest
2 x Swamp

Two Mana
1 x Avacynian Priest
1 x Loyal Cathar
1 x Dawntreader Elk
1 x Ambush Viper
2 x Travel Preparations
1 x Niblis of the Urn
1 x Gatstaf Shepherd
1 x Spectral Rider

Three Mana
1 x Voiceless Spirit
1 x Rebuke
1 x Lingering Souls
1 x Trepanation Blade
1 x Elder of Laurels
1 x Thraben Doomsayer

Four Mana
1 x Mausoleum Guard
1 x Hollowhenge Spirit
2 x Slayer of the Wicked

Five Mana
2 x Silverclaw Griffin
1 x Village Survivors
1 x Kessig Cagebreakers

Won two matches, lost one to the undefeated. I made a number of mistakes making this deck and in the end found myself regretting it. Every match, second or third game, I'd be sideboarding.

Sealed Deck, White and Black Human Vampire Alliance.

8 x Plains
1 x Island
8 x Swamp

One Mana
1 x Burden of Guilt
1 x Faith's Shield
1 x Champion of the Parish

Two Mana
1 x Vampire Interloper
1 x Unruly Mob
1 x Executioner's Hood
1 x Feeling of Dread
1 x Gather the Townsfolk
1 x Skirsdag Flayer
1 x Niblis of the Urn

Three Mana
1 x Falkenrath Torturer
1 x Niblis of the mist
1 x Chapel Geist
1 x Rebuke
1 x Village Bell-Ringer
1 x Voiceless Spirit
2 x Chosen of Markov
1 x Tribute to Hunger

Five Mana
1 x Silverclaw Griffin
1 x Fiend of the Shadows
1 x Increasing Ambition

It has a frankly disapointing reccord of 2-2

Second Sealed Deck, Red and Green

9 x Forest
8 x Mountain

One Mana
1 x Caravan Vigil
1 x Stromkirk Noble

Two Mana
1 x Talons of Falkenrath
1 x Naturalize
1 x Darkthicket wolf
2 x Ambush Viper
1 x Strangleroot Geist

Three Mana
1 x Wild Hunger
1 x Ulvenwald Bear
1 x Lambholt Elder
1 x Daybreak Ranger
1 x Kessig Wolf
1 x Markov Blademaster

Four Mana
1 x Wrack with madness

Five Mana
1 x Nearheath Stalker
1 x Pitchburn Devils
1 x falkenrath Marauders
1 x Somberwald Spider
1 x Grizzled Outcasts
1 x Vorapede

Six Mana
1 x Gravetiller Wurm
1 x Into the Maw of Hell

3 matches won, one of which was the bye, one match lost.

Draft, its been over a year.

10 x Island
  7 x Mountain

1   x Accorder's Shield

1   x Essence Scatter
3   x Seacoast Drake

1   x Academy Raider
1   x Act of Treason
3   x Frost Breath
2   x Trained Condor
1   x Warden of Evos Isle
1   x Cancel
1   x Phantom Warrior
1   x Wall of Frost

1   x Nephalia Seakite
1   x Ogre Battledriver
1   x Water Servant

2   x Pitchburn Devils
1   x Armored Cancrix
1   x Air Servant

[spoiler=Sideboard]
1   x Suntail Hawk
1   x Capashen Knight
1   x Sentinel Sliver
1   x Angelic Wall
1   x Charging Griffin
1   x Siege Mastodon
1   x Serra Angel

1   x Zephyr Charge
1   x Spell Blast
1   x Frost Breath

1   x Vile Rebirth
1   x Shrivel
1   x Syphon Sliver
2   x Deathgaze Cockatrice

1   x Fog

2   x Demolish

1   x Staff of the Sun Magus

Sign In to post comments