10/31/2011 Feature Article: "Regnum Planaris – The Planar Wars"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

So are the Planechase planes being reisued, or is this just a thing for someone (or someone who knows someone) who has hoarded them all already?
I personally would like to see them re-issued myself.

Hopefully y'all will add a few more from all across that thar' Muttliverse...I mean Multiverse xD.

Why are there no paying Planechase contests?!?
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

The biggest problem with everyone having their own Planechase deck is that it requires that everyone buy Planechase cards and then construct a deck (or, more likely, multiple decks, since playing one deck over and over gets boring) to match those cards.  That's a level of commitment that not a lot of people have for a kitchen table format like Planechase.

I know Wizards is trying to push sales, but the best thing about a single, random Planechase deck for everyone (and probably why it is more popular than the official rules) is in fact the randomness.  A lot of casual game groups have a wide variety of player types and deckbuilding types, and a largely random Planechase mechanic is a great way to equalize the misbalance of deck power and the resulting staleness of the metagame.  Even if you have a crappy deck with no new card past Alliances, you can still gamble on the Planechase roll to open up new and interesting game states that would never have occurred if you were using a carefully selected subset of planes.
Bellum Planarum!

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

The biggest problem with everyone having their own Planechase deck is that it requires that everyone buy Planechase cards and then construct a deck (or, more likely, multiple decks, since playing one deck over and over gets boring) to match those cards.  That's a level of commitment that not a lot of people have for a kitchen table format like Planechase.

I agree... and that's a big part of why I like working on variant format which useone copy for the group to share.  It's much easier to arrange and requires less commitment... you show up, draft the planes (5 min or so) and play.   Unfortunately, I don't have any information* about how much planechase is/will be available for purchase.

I also agree that using a random pile of planes can help to balance decks of varied power level.  The problem with just one pile is that many groups find it hard to get those games going because the pendulum swings too far.  Too many people won't play with planechase at all because it's too random for them... at which point it's no longer balancing the group anymore.  

If it works for your group, awesome... it a'int broke!   If it's not quite right though, dividing them up with a draft strikes a good balance.  The resulting stacks aren't nearly as powerful as a carefully selected decks of ten, and still give older/less powerful decks more opportunities for unpredictable game states, but without scaring anyone away by being totally unpredictable.

Give it a try once or twice and let me know how it goes!

Gavin

* I do know it's popular, and they like popular things.   I also hope we get more promo planes at prereleases.
The draft idea seems very useful to me... Often my planes, while the most balanced, still swing far in advance one player who runs away with the whole game. If I divided them up better, even 1 per player if need be, it would be more interesting since you're planeswalking to actually get yourself out of a jam, not to get into a completely new one. Even Blind Eternities isn't always enough... If you hit Planeswalk, you should be guaranteed to see that luck turn into advantage by going to a plane that benefits you.
All in all, Eternities Map seems the much more interesting way to use Planes.
Regnum Planaris just seems like Gavin got an edict from above to "get casual players into drafting - any way you can, dammit!"

It's great that Gavin is still trying to get Planes accepted, but this variant and the last one (that way awesome Eternities map) are still just band-aiding the simple logistical fact that casual players don't have easy or wide access to Planes, thus the ones who do generally have no one to play "Planar" against unless some sort of 'huge pile' variant is involved. 
Really, all the Giant-Card variants suffer this same basic problem (especially Vanguard, where there hasn't been any new or reissued cards for over a decade).
I don't think this threat links where it is supposed to. Graveborn nails it for this product for the first time. I am not surprised. The Hump is a Magical madman and has influenced many years of my play. Bravo to this product. Bravo.
Graveborn (officially spoiled Monday Nov 14) looks sweet. Hopefully I can locate a copy for around MSRP. As 12three45 said above: Bravo. 
Mist Dragon art by Al Davidson
Sign In to post comments