Dragon 404: Class Acts: Runepriest - Shan Zi of Kara-Tur

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Words of Bravery is ally-unfriendly, but the flavor text says that you're only hitting the enemies around you. It seems like it should target "Each enemy in the burst".

I think the timing on Words of Ancestral Bravery works, but it's a bit confusing. Can the ally gain the benefit from ending its turn adjacent to the runepriest for the saving throws being made that turn? In an analogy, is it like Magic's end step starting or its end step ending?

Words of Celestial Heaven (the Enlightened Word daily 20) should have the charm keyword. Also, based on the rules of "end of turn" on page 198 of the RC (which I just looked up for the last one), creatures can't take actions during their end of turn, which is when the aftereffect would normally come up. This means that the aftereffect technically doesn't work, since it's a free action forced attack.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't realize it was right there. Thought you were talking about the Monday article.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Protective Scroll (Utility 10) creates a healing scroll which lasts "until it is expended or until the end of your next extended rest". Since it is an encounter power, this allows the runepriest to stockpile a bunch of scrolls, and use several of them in a single fight, if needed. This hardly looks like an intended application.

I would make it last "until it is expended, until the end of your next extended rest, or until you use this power again". Of course, you could also make the power a daily, but I think that would be overkill.

Edit: It turns out that the fix I suggested still leaves the door open to 2/uses per encounter (since the rPriest can use two minors to create a scroll and spend a surge after a scroll has been spent). For this reason, a proper set of changes to turn Protective Scroll into a real encounter power would involve: (1) have the scroll last  "until it is expended, until the end of your next extended rest, or until you use this power again", (2) add "special: you can use this power only during a short or extended rest".

My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Pg. 5 Class Act: Runepriest  Touch of Hope's Utility Power should require a Minor Action to use instead of a Standard Action. 

Pg. 6 Class Act: Runepriest  Heavenly Halberdier's Feat should work with any Runepriest Power and instead limit it to Slide one target hit by the Power as a Free action.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

No other application for Protective Scroll? I would think that a encounter power allowing to heal a surge as a minor action and gain a huge bonus to defenses could see some play. It's not like the Runepriest has an excess of options for healing utilities below level 16 - you have Shield of Sacrifice (which is decent but usable only 1/day), and a bunch of mediocre skill powers. 
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
It does not function as a targeted heal, yeah. It's just a power with a personal range, which the runepriest can grant to any member of the party before any encounter. I still don't see how that "deletes it from the system entirely" - the healing remains useful, and the defense bonus is damn good.

And with Comrade's Succor, the Healing Surges cost can be mitigated pretty easily. I submitted an Errata for Protecting Scroll too.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Pg. 5 Class Act: Runepriest  Touch of Hope's Utility Power should require a Minor Action to use instead of a Standard Action. 

I agree that this should be a minor action.  It is not strong enough to warrant being a standard action.

Its bad enough that the equivalent cleric powers are standard actions.