Specific Q about spells during declare blockers

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm being attacked by an Inkmoth Nexus.  Its owner has a Kessig Wolf Run in play and plenty of other land to activate it.

He declares Nexus as attacking.  I am tapped out with a Gut Shot in my hand.  I declare no blockers.

He uses his wolf run to give Inkmoth something like +9/+0 and trample.  In response I use my Gut Shot to kill his nexus.

All of this is correct, yes?

As a follow up, if he were to declare inkmoth as attacking, and I declare no blockers and he chooses not to use kessig to pump the inkmoth, I am forced to take that 1 infect, correct?  I ask this because I'm assuming in scenario 1, I am allowed to respond to him activating Kessig, and in scenario 2 I passed priority when I declared no blockers. 

I may not have the exact terminology correct but please let me know if I have this two situations correct or if I'm just being dumb again.  Thanks
Yes, all correct.
MTG Rules Advisor
1) Yes, that's fine.

2) No (see below), you can cast spells during combat. Combat is broken into several steps:

Beginning of combat step
Declare attackers
Declare blockers
Combat damage step
End of combat step

^ Combat damage is at the very start of the combat damage step. But you can cast spells during any of the steps of combat. So you can gut shot the nexus during the declare attackers step, or the declare blockers step.

Edit: Oh, yes if you pass priority and he passes priority then you move to the combat damage step. So in that case, you'd take 1 damage.
… and then, the squirrels came.
No, both answers to #2 are incorrect. He gets priority first on his turn. The scenario in Skibo's edit can't happen because of that (everything before his edit is correct).

If he chooses not to activate the wolf run, you DO get the opportunity to cast gut shot before you take any damage from it.
All Generalizations are Bad
Point 2 was the question I was unsure about, so to understand it better let me ask this way.
How would this process work?  Like this..?:

-He attacks with Inkmoth
-I declare no blockers

At this point I would naturally expect him to activate his kessig, but he doesn't and says (for the sake of staying true to a real-game scenario) "Ok, you take the 1 damage and get a poison counter." 

This is basically him passing priority (the time when he'd be able to activate his Kessig), right?  So I can say "No, I cast Gut Shot, targetting your Inkmoth." and then take no damage?

The reason I asked about question #2 was because in my best case scenario, I would want to let him pump his inkmoth so I can activate gutshot in response, making him waste his mana.  I wasn't sure how it would work if he decided not to  (aka, unsure of when I would have priority).
This is basically him passing priority (the time when he'd be able to activate his Kessig), right?  

Correct.
 So I can say "No, I cast Gut Shot, targetting your Inkmoth." and then take no damage?

You sure can.
All Generalizations are Bad
you have the option of casting a spell after he has declared blockers.
he is the first to act, if he passes you get a chance to act

once both players have passed with an empty stack it moves on to combat damage

if you did not say anything between declaring no blockers and him saying "Ok, you take the 1 damage and get a poison counter." you are in your right to back him up.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yup, you can do that.

After blockers are declared, the active player gets priority.  Whether or not he plays something or passes, either way you get priority next.  At which point you can cast your Gut Shot. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Cool, that makes more sense now.

Sometimes I lose some nuances of the game in the player-to-player interaction which tends to gloss over parts of a turn.

Thanks for all the quick help, as usual
Cool, that makes more sense now.

Sometimes I lose some nuances of the game in the player-to-player interaction which tends to gloss over parts of a turn.

Thanks for all the quick help, as usual

A couple points to remember:
During the phases/steps of a turn and after an object resolves, the active player always is the one who gets prioirty first.
The game cannot proceed to the next phase/step until ALL players have passed prioirty on an empty stack.

Players take shortcuts to avoid constantly having to say "pass" and slowing the game to a crawl.  So if someone says something that indicats that they are moving on to the next part of a turn and you wish to do somehing before the game moves on, you are entitled to say "hold on" and back them up to the point where you wish to play something.

In your case "ok you take 1 poison damage" is a shortcut stating that he is passing prioirty until the Combat Damage step.  Since you want to cast Gut Shot, you say, "wait, before that I'm casting Gut Shot on your Nexus". 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

Okay then let me rearrange this question for my own sake.  

I want to use my inkmoth to block his attacking 1/1 flyer– At what stage do I do this -  Declare attackers?

Is there a way to activate to blinkmoth and block before it can get nuked (say with a doom blade)?

Okay then let me rearrange this question for my own sake.  

I want to use my inkmoth to block his attacking 1/1 flyer– At what stage do I do this -  Declare attackers?

Yes, the Declare Attackers Step is your last chance to activate it before the start of the Declare Blockers Step (where the very fist thing you do is to declare blockers).

Is there a way to activate to blinkmoth and block before it can get nuked (say with a doom blade)?

No.
[<o>]
to attack the latest you have to activate is "begin of combat", the step before "declare attackers"
to block the latest you have to activate is "declare attackers", the step before "declare blockers"

in both cases your opponent has a chance to destroy or tap your creature to stop you from attacking or blocking
proud member of the 2011 community team
Going back to the case where your opponent attacks with Inkmoth, passes priority, and then you have the option to cast your gut shot or pass priority...

Keep in mind, if you cast the gut shot and then pass priority, your opponent can respond by activating his kessig wolf run.
Going back to the case where your opponent attacks with Inkmoth, passes priority, and then you have the option to cast your gut shot or pass priority...

Keep in mind, if you cast the gut shot and then pass priority, your opponent can respond by activating his kessig wolf run.

He can, but it won't do much good.  Kessig Wolf Run's ability doesn't pump the creature's toughness.  Kessig's ability will resolve and give the Inkmoth +X/+0 and trample, but then Gut Shot will resolve and kill the Inkmoth before it can deal any combat damage.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Sign In to post comments