Leonin Arbiter

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This guy is starting to seem relevant again as two of the top decks are based around searching. However, Wolf Run is packing some heat for it with 3-4 Beast Within and Slagstorms. Perhaps Spellskites/Metamorph could keep spot removal away from the cat.

Anyways, what is the general consensus about the viability of this card and the role that he can play in the meta? Is there any deck that could easily take advantage of the ability he provides? Or would a deck need to be built around him? Can he stay on the board long enough to affect the game?

Thoughts?

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

He wasn't good even when fetchlands were rampant.

Unless WW gets good somehow (and in a non-human way), I don't see him being relevant at all. You're holding up mana in u/w control decks on turn 2, and past turn 2 he seems quite mediocre.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Actually, I don't think that's a terrible idea. The reason Arbiter never really worked pre-rotation was two-fold.

Firstly, it was just better to have Stoneforge Mystic and Squadron Hawk than it was to try and stop your opponents'.

Second, doesn't stop searches, it just slows them down. That means that, e.g. vs Valakut, you can't just play him and then assume you've won - you need to be applying beatdown pressure at the same time. 

That in mind, it plays a similar role to Grand Abolisher out of the SB in WW decks against the Primeval Titan decks. 
He makes ghost quarter into strip mine (almost).  Combine with reclaim and noxious revival for mayhem.  Add bramblecrush and beast within for land destruction deck.

Unless WW gets good somehow (and in a non-human way), I don't see him being relevant at all. You're holding up mana in u/w control decks on turn 2, and past turn 2 he seems quite mediocre.

check the MODO daily events.... WW and WWu have become a big deal.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

He makes ghost quarter into strip mine (almost).  Combine with reclaim and noxious revival for mayhem.  Add bramblecrush and beast within for land destruction deck.

...why do I want to build this?  This sounds hideous to play against, and yet...I love Arbiter + Ghost Quarter.

Other options include Acidic Slime, Liquimetal Coating + Artifact Destruction.  Sun Titan at the top of your curve to get back Ghost Quarters and beat face.  God, this sounds so mean.

Yar. I'm packing 4 Arbiter in my SB for Wolf Run decks.

Not sure if it is the best option, but it is off the top of my head. If anyone has a better suggestion for a good card against WR, let me know.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7

Yar. I'm packing 4 Arbiter in my SB for Wolf Run decks.

Not sure if it is the best option, but it is off the top of my head. If anyone has a better suggestion for a good card against WR, let me know.

i thought you said it had a good ramp matchup?  otherwise, arbiter for sure.  maybe pack some flashfreeze/Orings in the board?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Drew Levin sporting 4-of Arbiter in the SB of his U/W Humans build against Wolf Run in Round 8. Cool

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Drew Levin sporting 4-of Arbiter in the SB of his U/W Humans build against Wolf Run in Round 8.

Drew Levin losing to Wolf run in Round 8 Innocent
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
Never keep a one-lander on the play unless you have Ponder. He never had a chance after he started bricking on his draws.

Never keep a one-lander on the play unless you have Ponder. He never had a chance after he started bricking on his draws.

Ponder doesn't even sound like a good excuse
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
Perhaps I'm greedy, but I would probably try it if I had Arbiter in my opening hand. Not sure how many lands his specific list runs, but if it was => 24, then I'd probably try it.

Yeah, Wu Humans is pretty insane. I really only lose games where:
1) I make bad plays (I don't think as much when I play on MODO :P)
2) Never draw a blue with Moorland Haunt in play/Mana Leak in hand (really annoying)
3) Never drawing a 2nd land (I do that a lot )

@BF: Yeah, the WR MU seems pretty good. I just have the Arbiters cause I want to board out the Abolishers, and it makes the MU better. Mono Green is the easiest, cause if you draw 1 Crusader and any other pressure, you've probably won. GR is a little harder. Haven't played against the Naya version yet.
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
I've lost a lot of games with WW/u that basically end with me drawing several Bladeholds and Destinies but only 3 lands, drawing a bunch of HotP but less creatures than the opponent has removal, etc.

It's a solid deck, especially with the blue kept to a minimum (I have 3 Moorland Haunt, 8 duals, 3 Traft, 2 Leak in the MD), but it appears from testing to be highly sensitive to draws.
I'm playing TS tokens and arbiter seems to be good enough, even if it is only slowing em down.
I am Blue/Black
Yeah, Wu Humans is pretty insane. I really only lose games where:
1) I make bad plays (I don't think as much when I play on MODO :P)
3) Never drawing a 2nd land (I do that a lot )

#3 is an extend of #1 broseph.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Why run humans when you can run u/w clerics? Arbiter, geist of saint traft, abolisher, leonin relic-warder... all clerics and there are more. Run adaptive automaton and bam, got yourself a cleric-themed deck :P

>Why run humans when you can run u/w clerics?
>Run adaptive automaton

You answered your own question.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

you're not supposed to run any tribal cards... its just called humans because they all happen to be basically humans

Photobucket

you're not supposed to run any tribal cards... its just called humans because they all happen to be basically humans

Champion of Parish.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Oh the humanity.... sorry couldn't resist.

on topic, I'm not sure I like the idea of aggro control atm. I kinda want to forget the jace the deck sculpter era, since caw blade was a aggro deck as well as a controling midrange.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
@Kedi: obv it is a bad play. I'm just a sucker for 1 landers.
Accomplishments
@Anon: WW/u is in no sense an Aggro-Control deck. It's Aggro.

Champion of Parish.

except that one... obv

Photobucket