Campaign Setting: The Legend of Zelda

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, after much work, I'm finally starting my Hyrule campaign in a few days. I'm going to work on this thread as I expand my creations.

First things first: The Races.
RACES OF HYRULE
Show

DEKU

Show

DEKU

RACIAL TRAITS
  Average Height:
3' 9''-4' 6''
  Average Weight: 50-75 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or Charisma
  Size:
Small
  Speed:
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:
Hylian, Deku (Common, Elven)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Nature, +2 Stealth
  Lightweight:
You gain training in Acrobatics. Whenever you make an Acrobatics check to reduce falling damage, roll twice and use either result.
  Water Walk:
If you begin your turn standing on a solid surface, you can move across liquid as if it were normal terrain. If you are still on liquid at the end of your turn, you fall in.
  Plant:
You have the Plant keyword. You do not sleep, and instead must spend 4 hours refraining from any strenuous activity to gain the benefits of an extended rest. You are fully aware during this time. This does not render you immune to any effects.
  Swift Burrow:
You have the Swift Burrow racial power.

GERUDO
Show

GERUDO

RACIAL TRAITS
  Average Height:
5' 6''-6' 2''
  Average Weight: 135-220 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity or Intelligence
  Size:
Medium
  Speed:
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:
Hylian, choice of one other (Common, choice of one other)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Endurance, +2 Acrobatics
  Versatile Body: Choose Fortitude, Reflex or Will. You gain a +1 racial bonus to that defense.
  Shifting Sands: When you are affected by a forced movement, you can shift 1 square after the effect resolves.
  Vitality: You gain one additional healing surge.
  Born Survivor: You have the Born Survivor racial power.

GORON
Show

GORON
  Average Height:
7' 2''-7' 8''
  Average Weight:
320-380 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution or Charisma
  Size:
Medium
  Speed:
  Vision:
Low-light

Languages:
Hylian, Goric (Common, Dwarven)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Diplomacy, +2 Dungeoneering
  Burning Heart: You have resist fire 5 + one-half your level.
  Stone Body: You have a +2 racial bonus to AC against opportunity attacks.
  Volvagia's Bane: You have proficiency with throwing hammers and warhammers.
  Quake Slam: You have the Quake Slam racial power.

HYLIAN
Show

HYLIAN
  Average Height:
5' 6''-6' 2''
  Average Weight:
135-220 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 to one ability score of your choice.
  Size:
Medium
  Speed:
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:

Hylian Heritage: You gain a bonus feat at 1st level. You must meet the feat's prerequisites.
  Hylian Skill: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.
  Hylian Resilience: You have a +1 racial bonus to your Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses.
You can choose either Hylian Prowess or Goddesses' Favor.
  Hylian Prowess:
You know one extra 1st level At-Will power from your class.
  Goddesses' Favor:
You have the Goddesses' Favor racial power.

KOKIRI
Show

KOKIRI
  Average Height:
3' 10''-4' 2''
  Average Weight:
75-85 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity or Charisma
  Size:
Small
  Speed:
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:
Hylian, Ancient Hylian (Common, choice of one other)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Nature, +2 Insight
  Child of the Forest:
You ignore difficult terrain of the forest type.
  Guardian Faerie: You gain the Arcane Familiar feat as a bonus feat. Your familiar is a Forest Faerie. You can take additional feats to improve your Forest Faerie, even if you do not meet Arcane class prerequisites.
  Faerie's Guidance: You gain the Faerie's Guidance racial power.

MOBLIN

Show

MOBLIN
  Average Height:
5' 2''-5' 9''
  Average Weight:
180-240 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Strength or Constitution
  Size: Medium
  Speed:
  Vision:
Low-light

Languages:
Hylian, Moblish (Common, Giant)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Perception, +2 Intimidate
  Wounded Beast:
You gain a +1 racial bonus to attacks while bloodied.
  Battle Hungry: You gain a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks.
  Bite Back: You have the Bite Back racial power.

Level 11: +6, 2d8
Level 21: +8, 3d8

RITO

Show

RITO
  Average Height:
5' 6''-6' 0''
  Average Weight:
90-115 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or Charisma
  Size:
Medium
  Speed:
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Acrobatics, +2 Athletics

Light Footed: You ignore difficult terrain while shifting.
  Winged Athlete: When you make an Athletics check to jump, roll twice and use either result.
  Valoo's Wings: You have the Valoo's Wings racial power.

TWILI

Show

TWILI
  Average Height:
6' 0''-6' 5''
  Average Weight:
160-190 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom or Strength
  Speed:
  Vision:
Low-light

Languages:
Hylian, Twilit (Common, Abyssal)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Stealth, +2 Arcana

Watcher's of the World:
You gain training in one skill of your choice.
  Night Dweller: You have resist necrotic 5 + one-half your level.
  Shadow Step: You have the Shadow Step power.

ZORA
Show

ZORA
  Average Height:
5' 5''-6' 1''
  Average Weight:
130-180 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity or Intelligence
  Speed:
6, 8 in water
  Vision:
Normal

Languages:
Hylian, Zoran (Common, choice of one other)
  Skill Bonuses:
+2 Acrobatics, +2 Arcana
  Skin of the Eel:
You have resist lightning 5 + one-half your level.
  Shark's Fury: You gain a +1 racial bonus to attacks against bloodied foes.
  Aquatic: You have the Aquatic keyword. You can breathe normally underwater and ignore rough water while swimming. You never have to make an Athletics check to swim.
  Bio-Electric Barrier: You have the Bio-Electric Barrier power.

SAMPLE ADVENTURERS
The campaign is underway, and although we haven't had many sessions yet, everyone is enjoying the world (even those not familiar with it). I decided it might be nice to add my player's characters, just for fun.
Show

Callas is a hylian two-blade ranger from Ordona province. As a toddler, Callas was found wandering the fields of a moblin couple, who took him in and raised him as their own along with their two biological children. Callas and his siblings were raised on stories of the legendary hero, clad in green, who slew the vicious demon king. His siblings have already left home to follow the hero's footsteps, and with the recent loss of his mother, a year after his father, Callas has decided to pursue the dream he and his siblings shared.

Kaeknil is a prescient kokiri bard. To his tribe, magic, music and knowledge are everything. They hold an annual contest to determine who is most proficient is these areas, and the winner takes ownership of the Dragon's Tooth Ocarina, said to be carved from the fang of a dragon slain by the legendary hero. Kaeknil knows that in order to win, he must know everything about the world, but to do that, he must do what his tribesmen have never dared do, he must leave the forest.

Zarathos is an inspiring goron warlord. During the great war between Ganondorf's armies and the soldiers of Hyrule, Zarathos and his men joined the side of King Gustaf. Zarathos commited many atrocoties against the gerudo in the name of justice. Decades later, waves of alcohol have successfully washed away his strength and skill, but failed to do the same to his guilt. His only reason to keep going is the thought that he may someday atone for his past misdeeds.

Veradon is a twili summoning wizard. A spellcaster of great promise, Veradon was selected to test a powerful new ritual, which could breach the barrier between the Realms of Light and Twilgiht. The ritual was a success, but Veradon found himself trapped on the other side. He now must find the components to repeat the ritual, for he plans to pull his people through the gate with him. Veradon's genius intellect is matched only by his ego, and his exact motivations are as of yet unclear.

Later, I hope to add some additional races, plenty of tools and magic items, and a handful of monsters. May even post a few notes on the campaign after a few sessions.

The campaign we're playing uses the following house rule:

Heart Containers
Whenever the party performs a great deed, usually the slaying of a terrible boss monster, the DM can reward them with a heart container. Heart containers cause the entire party to gain a level.
Heart Containers can also be found outside major quests. Certain sidequests offer 'Pieces of Heart' as rewards. If the party assembles 4 pieces of heart, it becomes a Heart Container, and they gain a level.
With the Heart Container method of levelling up, experience is no longer used. Battles reward players with rupees, arrows, bombs, and other small items.

At the moment, I'm worried that the goron and kokiri racial powers are too much, while gerudo and zora are not enough. I'd really appreciate opinions on these.
All replies are appreciated.
Bump...
Double bump, I'll read the post later and comment :D

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Good work, they all look good and balanced. I don't know much about Zelda, so I'm only speaking  from a mechanical point of view. Dunno about the fluff
Very nice. All of them seem balanced. I was about to hate on the Deku's lightweight class feature because it would be uselesss to people who already have training from their class, but then I realized you can just choose other skills as class skills isnce no class has mandatory acrobatics training.
All in all these look very good.  I do have 3 concerns, though:

The Goron's racial power should be +3/+6/+9 to attack to take into account the expertise feat it won't be getting.  All the newer racial powers do (or should do) this.

Similarly, the Moblin's power should be +5/+7/+11.  Again, to make up for expertise.  It should also scale in damage; probably 1d8/2d8/3d8.

Finally, I'm a little concerned with Hylians getting a bonus at-will and Goddess' Favor.  Humans only get one of these, and you are giving Hylians both.  I do not think your other races are more powerful than the norm, so I don't know if Hylians should get both.  Granted, a bonus at-will isn't usually that good of an option, so it might be fine, especially since this is a home game.

Best of luck.  This is an awesome idea, and I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

My reaction.

I rather like Zelda, so of course it's going to give me a bit of bias. But I think you're doing a terrific job so far. About the only complaint I might have is the damage and healthpoint system would probably work a little bit differently in a Zelda game.

For example, I think healing surges should be "hearts" you can use to rejevunate yourself, but have a finite amount and you have to gain more either by deliberate gifting from the DM, level up, or purchase with gold. Healing surges become a commodity, rather then a stagnent ability. 

I'd change the amount of HP a healing surge heals as well, based on several factors.

CLASS TYPE=Dice type used. (Just a rule of thumb)
Defenders: d12 
Strikers: d8
Leaders:  d12
Controllers: d8

You gain a number of dice equal to 1+constitution modifier. (Now lower then one.) So a fighter with 18 constitution, can heal 5d12 with every healing surge/"heart" used. 

I would consider the possibility of powers that rely on healing surges such as "trigger a healing surge" be a "free" use of a heart. Like lets say you have five hearts to piss away, any power that would tell you to use a heart, does not count toward your total heart inventory.

However, that might be way too broken.  

For example, I think healing surges should be "hearts" you can use to rejevunate yourself, but have a finite amount and you have to gain more either by deliberate gifting from the DM, level up, or purchase with gold. Healing surges become a commodity, rather then a stagnent ability. 

Well, I never planned on making a whole new game system, just a campaign set in Hyrule. The only major houserule is the use of Heart Containers: obtained whenever the party defeats a boss, or of course they can collect heart pieces by completing sidequest. When the party gets a full heart container, they gain a level. As such, exp has been done away with, and small dropped items (rupees, bombs, arrows, etc.) would be the reward for normal battles.
I love this and it sounds awesome. I hope you post session notes.
Very nice.  I'm a little disappointed you didn't give Gorons a rolling-based charge attack, though.
Very nice.  I'm a little disappointed you didn't give Gorons a rolling-based charge attack, though.

Originally, I had, but this is 4e, so everything must be balanced. A charge based power would be useless to, say, a goron wizard. They'd be like the minotaurs, out of place with the rest of the game.
Perhaps you could post it as an alternative racial power. There are several races with choices in that already.
Perhaps you could post it as an alternative racial power. There are several races with choices in that already.

I've actually been considering giving the gorons an overall of sorts. I don't like the slam power, really, and the charge even less. Though that really all they can do, so I'm unsure what else to give them. Perhaps drop the encounter power, and make up for it with some awesome features, like the dwarf did?
Perhaps a Racial Theme or racial utilities would work for the Goron to give them that flavor they're missing.
Hey, those Kokiri look familiar!  :P  

If you want, I've got some options (feats and most of a paragon path) written up for Kokiri here: www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p...
Sign In to post comments