Confused with mechanics Wizard/Sorceror multiclass

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I intend on doing a multiclass of Wizard and Sorceror, using seperate spell lists, and since I'm playing a kobold in 3.5 rules, Sorceror is my favored class. I am starting this character at level six, 5/1 for Wiz/Sor, and planning for lichdom. I sepcifically am planning on keeping my spell lists seperate, so I can use either spellsets as a situation calls for it.

I'm looking for a bit of feedback, and some advice, since I want to become a lich later on.
Planning on a Lawful Neutral and powerhungry setup.
Hey Joobles,

How's it going? I think it's a great idea to keep your spell lists seperate. It's smart as a player so you know exactly what you have available (and why you have it available to use) and it's great for when you DM feels like it's weird why you have so many of the same spell; that way you can put his worries to rest.
But if you are planning on playing a Lich, here's my advice (2 cents); first, make sure your DM is ok with it and knows like, right now, so he can have the information, plan for it, and build missions within the campaign to help you on your way. I also say this, because a Lich is evil. And most DM's I know, including myself, run it that when a character becomes evil, they "Go to the Dark Side" Laughing and the character becomes the property of the DM (officically becoming an NPC).
Hope all goes well.

- NEMIS   
Hey Joobles,

How's it going? I think it's a great idea to keep your spell lists seperate. It's smart as a player so you know exactly what you have available (and why you have it available to use) and it's great for when you DM feels like it's weird why you have so many of the same spell; that way you can put his worries to rest.
But if you are planning on playing a Lich, here's my advice (2 cents); first, make sure your DM is ok with it and knows like, right now, so he can have the information, plan for it, and build missions within the campaign to help you on your way. I also say this, because a Lich is evil. And most DM's I know, including myself, run it that when a character becomes evil, they "Go to the Dark Side" Laughing and the character becomes the property of the DM (officically becoming an NPC).
Hope all goes well.

- NEMIS   

That sounds like an excellent house rule, I might have to adopt that(if my players are cool with it). Our DM is planning a pretty solid campaign, playing online, and I'm so excited since this is going to be my first time playing as a character rather than DMing, since pretty much high school.

We're playing a watery campaign, lots of islands, and one of my friends is playing a bear druid, and another will be a Bard focusing magic with some rouge in him.

I'm just about to go print my sheets to get started on building my character.
I intend on doing a multiclass of Wizard and Sorceror, using seperate spell lists, and since I'm playing a kobold in 3.5 rules, Sorceror is my favored class. I am starting this character at level six, 5/1 for Wiz/Sor, and planning for lichdom. I sepcifically am planning on keeping my spell lists seperate, so I can use either spellsets as a situation calls for it.

I'm looking for a bit of feedback, and some advice, since I want to become a lich later on.
Planning on a Lawful Neutral and powerhungry setup.

Definately keep your spell lists separate since they are going to work significantly differently - different CL, caster stat, different bonus spells, spells known, CL, casting method (preped. vs spont.), etc.

I would reconsider multiclassing.  In 3.5, spellcasters live and die based on their spells, and it is almost always better to not dilute your casting since it lowers the power of your spells, delays access to more powerful spells, and splits your focus between maintaining two different stats.  Adding a +4 LA template on top of that (assuming your DM allows it) is going to dilute your casting even more.  The Practiced Spellcaster feat can help with your CL, but only up to 4CL (maxing at your HD) and you'd have to take it for both classes.

Though if you are still set on utilizing both classes, the Ultimate Magus prestige class can really help since it can progress two arcane spellcasting classes at the same time (though read how it affects your spellcasting carefully - some levels only increase the caster level of one class (and thus no additional spells) rather than the spellcasting both).  You'd still be a quite bit more powerful focusing on a single caster class though.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

Wizard sorcerer multiclass. I almost feel silly suggesting it, but someone has pointed you towards Ultimate Magus in Complete Mage? It basically advances both casting classes together. 

You can actually go into it next level, probably, and it might be worth asking about retraining your last level into it as well. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Wizard/Sorcerer Mulit-class???

Make it easy and just go "Mystic Theurge". It's in the 3.5 DMG, page 192. Great class.

-NEMIS  
Mystic Theurge is Arcane/divine 

he would definitely be better off with the Utimate Magus class which advances him in spells per level as a wizard/sorc. at the same time.   

on a side note. I THINK...dont qoute me on this. but i THINK there is such thing they have printed off as a "good lich" i forget what book its from. but you could find out where its in and present that to your DM.  i think that would be your safest route to do rather than being an Evil lich. (unless your party is Evil align)  
Oh ya... lol.

A good lich? That I would be interested to see. I know a guy in my current campaign would love that. If that is true, I think I'll keep that one under my hat for now. lol 
Oh ya... lol.

A good lich? That I would be interested to see. I know a guy in my current campaign would love that. If that is true, I think I'll keep that one under my hat for now. lol 

lemme look through my books and see if i can find it!  i'll let you know for sure 
found it..  

its in the monsters compendium Monsters of Faerun.  page 90.  
Interesting. I'll check it out. Thx.  Smile