Forum Game: Three Card Magic (under new management)

2194 posts / 0 new
Last post
Somehow this post got eaten by boards when I edited it.
So just the basic stuff:

More detailed rules, stolen from the original

1. I will play the games using proxies. I will decide matches as if both players play perfectly, and have full knowledge of all their opponents cards.
2. Matches will be played in a round robin format. Each match will consist of 2 games, one with a each player going first. 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. A draw occurs if neither player can force a win.
3. Players will pm their one deck to me. While not required, please post here to acknowledge your involvement, as well as to keep the thread on the first page for people to see.
4. Standard MTG rules apply. 20 life, the phases etc.
5. Players can not lose by being decked out. Note that this does not mean that the draw step is skipped--rather, that if a player attempts to draw a card for any reason and there are no cards in that player's library, nothing happens.
6. Decks contain exactly 3 cards. Those cards are all drawn as your "initial hand" at the start of the game.
7. All random effects (eg coinflips) you own go in favor of your opponent.
8. Wishes, Wild Research, and any other card that lets you get cards from out of the game cannot find anything.
9. I have the final say concerning disputes, rule infractions, and what I intend to have allowed and not allowed, this includes loopholes. If you are concerned about a potential loophole, please pm me.
10. Consider all results to be followed by the following disclaimer: As I am human I will make mistakes, because of this checking your own results is recommended.

I will be participating, but I will finish my deck in advance, before anyone else sends me theirs (so I don't have an unfair advantage).

Anyone can join at any time, just send me a PM with your decklist in the following format:

Your username
Card 1
Card 2
Card 3
Deckname.dec (optional)

Round 27:

Format: 2 Headed Giant WITH A TWYST

each player submits 2 3-card decks, and at the end of the round each player gets randomly assigned 2 decks
your score is the sum of the scores of the pairs that included your decks.

Deadline: Sunday 9th 20:00 GMT+1

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I  hope I win this time
I think I'd make the format Modern 3CM

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
so is this going to be a community grading thing like the old one was at the end?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Depends how much time I have and if I have trouble with matchups.
I also still need to look how to make a google document. It could be easy, but I just need to look for it still.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Depends how much time I have and if I have trouble with matchups.
I also still need to look how to make a google document. It could be easy, but I just need to look for it still.

Pretty sure it's really easy

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Is Laboratory Maniac unethical/banned? I considered using him in my deck but I didn't.
Is Laboratory Maniac unethical/banned? I considered using him in my deck but I didn't.

Seems broken when your library consists of three whole cards. Then again, I have no idea how three card magic works.
Seems broken when your library consists of three whole cards. Then again, I have no idea how three card magic works.

The library consists of zero cards.
6. Decks contain exactly 3 cards. Those cards are all drawn as your "initial hand" at the start of the game.

So that would be the problem. City of Traitors, Mox Sapphire, and Laboratory Maniac or something like that.

I know it's far from unbeatable but it just seems a crazy.
Knew I forgot to add him.
Yeah, he's banned.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I think our round turnaround needs to be a bit faster.  Still a day left to submit but no posts in 3 days?  The deadline probably could have been yesterday. 

I actually do get decks, but they don't always post here.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I'm glad it did extend a day.  I just discovered this idea, and it is pretty cool.  Deck sent.
In other news, I figured the stuff out on google docs.
Community rating it is.
In 26 hours I'll post the link.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I'm glad it did extend a day.  I just discovered this idea, and it is pretty cool.  Deck sent.

Only because I bumped the thread, I could have just sat around, then the next new post would have been JaC posting the link.

Though, I'm glad my bump helped you participate ;P

I fully expect to do poorly this round. I only submitted because hey why not.

L1 Judge

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I took the liberty to number the lists for ease of use.

L1 Judge

Purple Shrimp's deck is awesome.
ew, I was wrong.

Purple Shrimp's deck is awesome.

I think someone had it last round, so I can't take any credit for it
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
It's amazing how some decks have a sure win against Lotus Lotus Fatty, while others just roll over to it.
It's amazing how some decks have a sure win against Lotus Lotus Fatty, while others just roll over to it.

it's amazing how metagames exist.

Damn I missed this.
My crows didn't get a chance to shine this time.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Really? Someone submitted the same list as me except with Inkmoth instead of Blinkmoth? That's super lame.

Oh well. 
Corrected 5 versus 11 from the reported value of 3 to the correct value of 6.
Corrected 5 versus 12 from the reported value of 6 to the correct value of 4.

Show

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

1. Just_a_cleric
Black Lotus
Plains
Ajani Vengeant
In a cat mood.dec

Ajani Vengeant doesn't tap anything. Rakdos the Defiler can attack it and win.

mqj - 6
Just_a_cleric - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

2. Simple_Dreams
Leyline of Singularity
Karakas
Ghost-Lit Redeemer

Karakas wins.

Simple_Dreams - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

3. Purple_Shrimp
Starke of Rath
Homeward Path
Black Lotus

On the Play Rakdos the Defiler can attack and force sacrifice.

On the Draw Rakdos the Defiler dies to Starke of Rath.

mqj - 3
Purple_Shrimp - 3

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

4. Chamale
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Hunted Horror
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
TheHorror.dec

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale wins.

Chamale - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

6. darkeshrine
Pendelhaven
Inkmoth Nexus
gg.dec

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale wins.

darkeshrine - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

7. silasw
Maze of Ith
Dwarven Hold
Form of the Dragon
I am a dragon, I breathe fire on you.dec

Maze of Ith wins.

silasw - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

8. MTGKaioshin
Isochron Scepter
Lightning Helix
City of Traitors
$3LightningHelix.dec

Rakdos the Defiler wins.

mqj - 6
MTGKaioshin - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

9. SereneChaos
Snapback
Disrupting Shoal
Dryad Arbor

Snapback wins.

SereneChaos - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

10. razorborne
Simian Spirit Guide
Artifact Blast
Chancellor of the Forge
bringinitback.dec

Artifact Blast wins.

razorborne - 6
mqj - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

11. Wahooney
Black Lotus
Dryad Arbor
Befoul

Rakdos the Defiler wins.  Befoul can't target a black creature.  Rakdos the Defiler is black.

mqj - 6
Wahooney - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

12. Torleep
Blinkmoth Nexus
Mishra's Factory
Dismember

On the Draw Rakdos the Defiler gets smaller with Dismember but trades and deals combat damage against Blinkmoth Nexus and player forcing a draw.

mqj - 4
Torleep - 1

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

13. suudsu2200
Black Lotus
Leonin Squire
Garruk Relentless
planeswalkersarenotbroken.dec

Rakdos the Defiler wins.

mqj - 6
suudsu2200 - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

Rakdos the Defiler wins.

mqj - 6
DaTuck - 0

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

15. xavious
Dismember
Mishra's Factory
Inkmoth Nexus

On the Draw Rakdos the Defiler gets smaller with Dismember but trades and deals combat damage against Inkmoth Nexus and player forcing a draw.

mqj - 4
xavious - 1

---===---

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

16. omeomi
Vault of Whispers
Dark Ritual
Phylactery Lich

Rakdos the Defiler can attack and force sacrifice.

mqj - 6
omeomi - 0

I checked all of my matchups.  I was surprised to see no Phyrexian Dreadnought shenanigans.

Show

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

1. Just_a_cleric
Black Lotus
Plains
Ajani Vengeant
In a cat mood.dec

Draw-Draw

DaTuck - 2
Just_a_cleric - 2

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

2. Simple_Dreams
Leyline of Singularity
Karakas
Ghost-Lit Redeemer

If I go first, I win, because the Relic-warder exiles the Leyline, and neither Karakas nor the Redeemer can deal with the Relic-warder.  If I go second, I lose to Karakas.

DaTuck - 3
Simple_Dreams - 3

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

3. Purple_Shrimp
Starke of Rath
Homeward Path
Black Lotus

DaTuck - 0
Purple_Shrimp - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

4. Chamale
Hunted Horror
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
TheHorror.dec

DaTuck - 0
Chamale - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

5. mqj
Black Lotus
Black Lotus
Rakdos the Defiler
FlyingDemon.dec

DaTuck - 0
mqj - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

6. darkeshrine
Pendelhaven
Inkmoth Nexus
gg.dec

DaTuck - 0
darkeshrine - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

7. silasw
Maze of Ith
Dwarven Hold
Form of the Dragon

DaTuck - 0
silasw - 6

It would have helped if I read the Form of the Dragon card before making my deck.  I forgot that only flying creatures would be able to attack.  I was counting on beating that card. 

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

8. MTGKaioshin
Isochron Scepter
Lightning Helix
City of Traitors
$3LightningHelix.dec

I exile the Scepter going first or second (if I go first, I just wait until he taps out for the Scepter, then play my Relic-warder).

DaTuck - 6
MTGKaioshin - 0

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

9. SereneChaos
Snapback
Disrupting Shoal
Dryad Arbor

Draw-Draw.

DaTuck - 2
SereneChaos - 2

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

10. razorborne
Simian Spirit Guide
Artifact Blast
Chancellor of the Forge
bringinitback.dec

Draw-Draw

DaTuck - 2
razorborne - 2

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

11. Wahooney
Black Lotus
Dryad Arbor
Befoul

Draw-Draw

DaTuck - 2
Wahooney - 2

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

12. Torleep
Blinkmoth Nexus
Mishra's Factory
Dismember

DaTuck - 0
Torleep - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

13. suudsu2200
Black Lotus
Leonin Squire
Garruk Relentless
planeswalkersarenotbroken.dec

DaTuck - 0
suudsu2200 - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

15. xavious
Dismember
Mishra's Factory
Inkmoth Nexus

DaTuck - 0
xavious - 6

---===---

14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

16. omeomi
Vault of Whispers
Dark Ritual
Phylactery Lich

DaTuck - 6
omeomi - 0
14. DaTuck
Black Lotus
Leonin Relic-Warder
Chancellor of the Forge
Something.dec

7. silasw
Maze of Ith
Dwarven Hold
Form of the Dragon

DaTuck - 0
silasw - 6

It would have helped if I read the Form of the Dragon card before making my deck.  I forgot that only flying creatures would be able to attack.  I was counting on beating that card. 

Actually, it's a 2-2 tie.
If he plays Form, you play Relic-Warder after that and win.
If you play Warder first, Form will kill you.

So the correct play is for him not to play Form and for you not to play the Leonin.
So the token and Maze counter each other and no-one wins.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Oh, thanks.  Apparently I went to sleep on that one.  I hope that I got the rest of them right.
If there are still open spots sunday, I will fill in the rest at that time (I am almost never available on Fridays and Saturday is my mother's birthday)

But for now, it looks like silasw will win.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I filled in the rest of the list. Congratulation to Silasw.
I double-checked 1 and 2 because of how close they were and it is indeed silasw that wins the first round.

Forrm of the Dragon will be added to the ban list.
Silasw may also add another card and unban 2 others.

He can also make a choice from the following 3 formats:

Normal 3cm, in a format of choice (Vintage, Extended, Modern, Standard)

Landless (Artifact Blast will be banned)

At the beginning of each players pre-combat main phase, add to that player's mana pool.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Hold on, in my opinion Form of the Dragon should not be banned. Silasw could have won that tournament if he had chosen a different card that works with mana ramp, such as Red Sun's Zenith. I think that Maze of Ith should be banned, because it's so effective at shutting down a single creature.

Hold on, in my opinion Form of the Dragon should not be banned. Silasw could have won that tournament if he had chosen a different card that works with mana ramp, such as Red Sun's Zenith. I think that Maze of Ith should be banned, because it's so effective at shutting down a single creature.

I'd agree with this. Maze is what makes the deck work, Form is just what makes it kill.

Form works pretty much as defense and win condittion.
It stops the majority of creatures fro attacking you, and is also a 4 turn clock.
It's very good.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
It stops the majority of creatures fro attacking you, and is also a 4 turn clock.
It's very good.

I agree with Chamale that Form of the Dragon is not overpowered.

With a single Mercadian Bazaar, Form of the Dragon requires 9 turns to come out.  A mere 3/3 could win the damage/storage counter race.

Show

Turn 1
Play Mercadian Bazaar

Turn 2
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (1)

Turn 3
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (2)

Turn 4
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (3)

Turn 5
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (4)

Turn 6
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (5)

Turn 7
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (6)

Turn 8
Put a storage counter on Mercadian Bazaar (7)

Turn 9
Cast Form of the Dragon

Turn 1
Cast 3/3

Turn 2
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 3 total

Turn 3
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 6 total

Turn 4
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 9 total

Turn 5
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 12 total

Turn 6
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 15 total

Turn 7
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 18 total

Turn 8
Attack with 3/3; deal 3 damage; 21 total

Maze of Ith is very good.  It stops the majority of creatures from attacking you.  It also provides you as much time as needed to get your own deck to win.

It's very good.

It would certainly be a problem if we did the proposed format with 1 extra mana, because Lotus-Lotus-Form of the Dragon is an amazing line of play.

However, I don't think it's the card that makes Silasw's deck a winner. I hypothesize that losing Maze of Ith would weaken the deck more, so I'll figure out this problem scientifically. I just redid the results for the last round, if Silasw has used Red Sun's Zenith instead of Form of the Dragon. He actually would have done better than with his current deck, beating Deck 14 (instead of tying) to make his score 68. Without Maze of Ith, using The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale as a substitute, the deck is also a bit stronger. I ran the results and saw it losing to deck 5, and turning the draw against 11 into a win, plus winning solidly against 13. The new score would also be 68 points.

It seems that Form of the Dragon and Maze of Ith may be equally good, so I accept the decision to ban the Dragon. It's interesting that hindsight shows it would have been better to use either The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale or Red Sun's Zenith, but not both, in the winning deck.

tldr: I was wrong, and Form of the Dragon and Maze of Ith are both strong cards. I agree with the ban decision. 
tldr: I was wrong, and Form of the Dragon and Maze of Ith are both strong cards. I agree with the ban decision. 

Heh, just after I agreed with you.

Heh, just after I agreed with you.

I won't deny that they're both excellent cards, and Maze of Ith is a bigger threat to the deck I'm planning to build next round, so it looked more dangerous to me. But the scientific method was able to show that both are equally good, so Just_a_cleric would be right either way. If he banned Dwarven Hold, I'm sure the whole thread would be yelling at him, but he made a good call.
It's very good.

It would certainly be a problem if we did the proposed format with 1 extra mana, because Lotus-Lotus-Form of the Dragon is an amazing line of play.

Yes, my point is eaxctly this. It's worth banning in the +1 mana format.
In other variants, I don't know, but probably not.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I am satisfied with my score in that round.

Albeit still a little bit upset that someone had basically the same list as me.

I'll get over it eventually. 
I am satisfied with my score in that round.

Albeit still a little bit upset that someone had basically the same list as me.

I'll get over it eventually. 

it actually happens a lot in 3CM.  this was my first round playing, and I wont be coming up with some obscure format breaking deck since I havent actively played Magic for about 4 years.  Inkmoth and dismember just stuck out cause they're in a lot of friggin tier 1 decks.
Sign In to post comments