Doomed Traveler and Necropede

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a Doomed Traveler out, and my opponent played a Necropede.  There are no other creatures on the table.  If I attacked on my turn, and he blocked would he be unable to kill my Spirit?  If he attacked and I blocked, would he be able to kill my Spirit?

I looked at the rules for priority in the FAQ of this forum and found:

When priority is given to any player, but before the player has the option of doing anything, several things happen first:

• State-based actions are checked

• Then, any triggered abilities that have triggered and are waiting to go onto the stack are put onto the stack. If multiple triggered abilities would go in at the same time, first the active player puts all abilities controlled by him onto the stack in any order, then each other player in turn order does the same.

• Once these two things are done, the player with priority may make the decision to either do something, or pass priority.

From this, it seems that if it is my turn, I put the Doomed Traveler's trigger on the stack, and then he puts the Necropede's trigger on the stack, so that the -1/-1 has nowhere to go.  Then I put my Spirit into play.

However, if it was his turn, the Necropede's trigger would go on the stack, and then the Doomed Traveler's, so that my Spirit would come out, and then his -1/-1 counter would be able to go on it.

Is this correct?  If not, what happens and why?  Thanks.
That all looks correct. I forgot about the trigger needing to target. See below for correct answer.
he cannot kill your Spirit no matter which turn

if he wants to put the trigger from Necropede on the stack he needs a legal target, which is not present in either case (since the trigger from Doomed Traveler could not have yet resolved)
proud member of the 2011 community team
No, that's not correct.

You have the right order for putting triggers on the stack, but you forgot that neither trigger resolves until both triggers have gone on the stack, and targets are chosen when the triggers are put on the stack, not when they resolve.

The necropede won't be able to target the spirit token, regardless of whose turn it is. 
All Generalizations are Bad
he cannot kill your Spirit no matter which turn

if he wants to put the trigger from Necropede on the stack he needs a legal target, which is not present in either case (since the trigger from Doomed Traveler could not have yet resolved)

Ah, thank you.  My opponent said that he could not kill the Spirit, but did not explain why.  I thought there was some way to stack the triggers, but I see now that it would have no legal target.  Thanks.
1. counter after atking.
2. spirit has summon sickness
3. his block is separate from -1/-1 counter.

in result, he can and kill spirit.

look at my edit XD
1. counter happens before atking.
2. spirit has summon sickness
3. his block is separate from -1/-1 counter.

in result, he can and cant kill spirit BUT if the spirt has flying he cannot.

That is incorrect. The correct answer was already given by Enigma and RootBreaker above.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Sign In to post comments