10/28/2011 LD: "Shattering the Ivory Tower"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

*chuckles* 902 votes in the last poll to 9811 votes in this one. Just a bit of a jump there.

I've always kind of questioned the need for Wizards employees to be ineligible at sanctioned events. I can definitely see it at events Wizards has a hand in actually sponsoring--you don't want your employees competing for prizes your company is handing out--but for low-level "normal" events all sanctioning means is that the tournament has to be run under a certain set of rules and that you report the results to Wizards.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I feel like the statement "The kind of person who finds us on Twitter tends to be highly enfranchised in whatever mode of play they like. Tournament players who tweet at us tend to be extremely active and willing to travel several hours to play... we have to make sure we view extreme statements made by such people as though they may have come from a specific perspective rather than a broad one. However, this is one of our best ways to get feedback from those groups, and I value it."

Is in responce to the massive backlash at his anti combo tweet a few weeks ago.
re: limited - Been running limited pretty regularly now for the last month with 2 live drafts a week and sealed on the weekends.   While I feel all of the various builds have their high and low points I feel like there's maybe one more card missing to interact with flyers, like a plummet variant.  Especially in sealed, it's really difficult to deal with.  The other piece id artifacts, with exactly 3 cards in the entire full set that can interact with them (and interestingly enough, white didn't get artifact removal this time) The last thing that has rubbed me wrong.. both playing it and against it, is when a player actually gets an invisible stalker combo online (stalker+dagger, stalker+Hauberk, stalker+cleaver)  or a giest+wings combo - I realize statistically it's not something that happens all that often, but when it does happen, there's very little that's going to stop it.  decreasing interaction in the game seems like a bad call.   It happened in m12 with wolf + spirit mantle, but in that format you were using a rather awkward creature with a very specific enchantment, in a somewhat weaker deck.    In that way, you've sort of bypassed the "rock paper scissors" limited match up because you can very easily beat a deck your deck wasn't designed to beat.. 

I feel like the statement "The kind of person who finds us on Twitter tends to be highly enfranchised in whatever mode of play they like. Tournament players who tweet at us tend to be extremely active and willing to travel several hours to play... we have to make sure we view extreme statements made by such people as though they may have come from a specific perspective rather than a broad one. However, this is one of our best ways to get feedback from those groups, and I value it."

Is in responce to the massive backlash at his anti combo tweet a few weeks ago.

Could be, but it happens all the time. People on this board are higher than avarage enfranchised too.
7.3% of the people who voted in the poll are smartallex.  (Or at least are willing to publically if anonymously admit to being smartallex.)
As for this week's poll, I as usual don't have the option to vote the exact truth: "I have played Innistrad limited exactly once and thus have no real sense of whether it's good or not".  So I just didn't vote.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
For me, limited Magic is all about interaction and variance, and I think Innistrad design and development focused so much on flavor that they seriously dropped the ball on this one.  The set plays like a glorified core set in limited.  The new mechanic and ability additions are evidence of this: Morbid and Fight technically already existed, with Transform being the only really "new" idea (cough, flip cards, cough) that adds to gameplay decisions.  Additionally, there seem to be a metric ton of vanilla and French vanilla creatures in the set, even more than M12.  We have Riot Devils, Kindercatch, Abbey Griffin, Voiceless Spirit, Thraben Purebloods, Chapel Geist, Spectral Rider, Moon Heron, Fortress Crab, Diregraf Ghoul, Markov Patrician, Rotting Fensnake, Typhoid Rats, Walking Corpse, and, to a slightly lesser extent, Vampire Interloper and Orchard Spirit.  I concede that there needs to be a scale of complexity for all cards, but this is way more simplicity than I'm used to seeing from an expert level set.

Add to that the annoying dilution of instants in this set, and you have a limited environment that focuses almost all of its interesting decisions on creature combat.  Sure, this is what Wizards has been pushing for a while, but it's a severely flawed philosophy.  Creature interaction requires both players to be developing their boards consistently for it to work, and combat becomes painfully linear when one person is clearly ahead, either in quality of creatures or quantity.  Because I have such little play on my opponent's turn, I have very little I can do to outplay, outmaneuver, and bluff my opponent into making poor plays outside of the very core set skills of working around counterspells and cards like Rebuke.

The set is balanced, in general, so that's a plus, but it just doesn't feel like they put the shoe on the right foot when designing it.  They had such a fever for flavor that they focused more on that then on how the set actually played in limited.  Basically, Innistrad limited for me feels like M11.5, a tempo balance between the plodding pace of M11 and the aggression of M12, with just a sprinkling of "expert level" on the top.
After seeing the shout-out to Shane's, my local card shop, I feel like sharing the story of how I got into Magic in the first place.

Just under 4 years ago, I had been convinced by my roommates to take up Magic. I did some research, and during a visit to Renton, my hometown, during spring break, I went with a Magic-playing friend to Shane's to find myself a starter deck.

It was late on a Friday; the store wouldn't normally be open that late, but I imagine FNM had just wrapped up. Aside from the owners, there was only one other guy in the shop. We explained that I was there to get Magic cards (I'd been in several times to buy Yu-gi-oh! stuff), and the other customer chimed in that he was a (former) Wizards employee. He suggested that I get a couple precons from the newest set (Morningtide) so that I could experiment with some different strategies and colors. I ended up picking out the 'Shamanism' and 'Going Rogue' decks.

I go to the register, a little hesitant about spending twice as much as I'd planned on a game I hadn't even played yet, but before I can pay, the guy says "Charge it to my store credit"

So, that's how I got my first two decks for free. I still play with them (along with many, many others) today.

Wizards, you have some awesome people working for you. 
7.3% of the people who voted in the poll are smartallex.  (Or at least are willing to publically if anonymously admit to being smartallex.)

I was genuinely surprised it was only 7.3%.
"... new development intern Gavin Verhey, who is at the time of this writing only two days into his time here. I don't know what Gavin's voice will be, but I can already tell that it will be different from any of ours."

This excites me tremendously! I only know Gavin (online, not personally) from his work with the Overextended format a few months back, but came away with the impression of an ingenious and generous fellow. I believe his voice will bring some interesting perpectives into the "Ivory Tower". I really hope it turns out well for him...

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I like the component of "take in" in perspective here, as it does show you guys care to look in on non-in-house elements of the game, but I wonder if you don't go far enough. You don't, for example, go outside the pro element, or the Renton element, which is itself entrenchment on the level of pleasing Wizards. A lot of the people and places from which it seems you gain perspective have a dedicated interest, often financial, to maintain a positive relationship with Wizards of the Coast. How exactly have you gained a perspective from the casual element, and is this also done through chatting it up with folks at gaming stores?
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
THis might be REALLY, REALLY unrelated, but could someone head to my deck help tab and help me plz.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
sorry lapille i just feel innistrad was pretty bad. the double face cards are just unfun. but beyond that it wasnt a complicated format. i figured it out pretty much in 2 drafts. was kinda like a bad core set. m12 was much better imo.

Sign In to post comments