X-men D&D Campaign.

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

So I am DMing an intresting couple of sessions starting at level 22. They will be X-Men themed. All PC's are playing as one of the X-Men. Party consists of Beast, Wolverine, Juggernaught, Jean Grey and Prof X. 

Now the question, If you were building Magneto and his Brotherhood as D&D epic tier monsters, what powers would they have? OR lets see who can build the best Magneto.

500 Internet points for the winner! 
Would you mind providing a desired level for Magneto, and whether you see him as a solo, elite, or what?

I would imagine him as a solo controller or elite controller(leader?) depending on whether you want to use him as a 1vParty threat or have him supported by brotherhood members.

Obviously, flight is a given, AOEs probably enemies only at least some of them, equipment based protections from psychic powers, plenty of forced movement and movement restricting powers. Etc.

Concievably you could make stats as a solo and then an elite 6 levels higher, use the first for a bad-guy-supposed-to-win-(nonlethally)-and-escapes-if-he-would-lose type fight and the latter for when the PCs have gained in strength and meet up with him with his brotherhood supporting.

If Wolverine is statted as a Claw Fighter or something, maybe you could give Magneto a minor power that disarms and force moves metal weapons, with the special caveat that on wolverine it force moves him instead?        
Magneto would be a solo end-boss monster. Given his reputation in the comics and how memorable a villain you'd want him to be, I might give him a unique power when bloodied. Like having him suddenly surrounded by a magnetic force field while a half-dozen large objects float around the room (terrain / minions). 
It'd be fun to make liberal use of terrain or objects in the game, such as having barrels or crates scattered around the room acting as cover, but giving Magneto a blast power that pulls or repels objects, having them deal damage when they strike a creature.  

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Definitely alot of sliding, immobilizing, restraining, and so on.  You can flavor these attacks as using the surroundings vs PCs who aren't composed of much metal, by having electrical wires and I-beams spring up to coil around them and such.  I liked the idea that there would be crates and such all around, allowing Magneto to change the terrain as he pleases, creating/denying cover and/or blocking terrain as he pleases.

Interesting idea for a mechanic: he has only half the HPs he's supposed for a solo, but he has a minor action at-will ability to gain a number of temporary hitpoints equal to his healing surge value.  This would represent his force-field, and it would make action-denial abilities (dazing, stunning, etc) very powerful against him.
I'd make him immune to dazing, stunning, etc while his helmet is on!   Make it a skill challenge in the combat to remove the helmet! 

------------ http://twitter.com/#!/combatadvantage

For Magneto, you can replicate a lot of his powers using monsters; a lot of what he does is animating metal, so make use of iron golems and other "metal come to life" type critters.

Oh, and he can pretty much do any spell in the book as long as you say "electromagnetically" in front of it. You can't say "Magneto blasts you with a fireball" but you can say "Magneto blasts you with "electromagnetically generated heat."
I thought about a Marvel 4th Ed the second 4th Ed came out, and at first I was thinking which heroes would be Heroic (The Punisher), Paragon (Wolverine), Epic (Thor), Solo (Galactus) etc, but then i realized in the Marvel Universe so many heroes come up against other heroes or villains (everyone fights everyone eventually sort of thing), so I thought maybe it best to make it with no levels.

Just an idea, I'm still interested. 
I'll give you stat blocks to comment on at some point. Currently working on Magneto, Blob, Nightcrawler, Mystique, Toad, Mavrick, Havok, Cannonball, pyro, mastyermind, etc etc etc
Was night crawler a baddie at some point?
He was part of Mystique's brotherhood when they were fighting the x-corps
I would be interested in this; but it really depends on the party in question.  How optimized are they?  Will they auto stun anything not immune to stuns? Will they deal 4k damage to anyone not immune to forced movement?  Are they alpha-strikers that can deal out 3k damage on the first round? I have a level 24 party that handily wipes out every monster ever published (including multiple level 35 gods at the same time); so against that party, I could design Magneto with a no-holds-barred mentality, and be totally happy dishing out 100 damage per attack with 6 attacks per round and a +40 attack bonus.  Against a somewhat less optimized party, that wouldn't work.  If juggernaut is designed using revenant mechanics, then adding in a 'ignore insubstantial' ability would be required; if he is not, then I could use something else.  At the other end, if the party has never played paragon characters before (let alone epic), and has never read the CharOp forums, then some of the monsters in MM3 might be too strong, and I could get away with nothing except 'he has this attack and that attack, and these defenses.  While bloodied, he does this extra attack'.

I have rough ideas of how the characters are built, based on the x-men they are named after, but mechanics can be refluffed in many ways - I could build Wolverine as a Warlock, although at first it seems awfully strange.  So.  More information please! 
The party as of now consists of 

Gambit: Marauding ranger, really strong optimizer
Beast: 2 weap fighter, pretty good player, not alot of exp in epic tier 
Juggernaught: not sure yet, Long time player, med optimization
Wolverine: 2weap ranger, med optimized

All in all very smart guys, that use very smart tactics. I pretty comfortably throw enounters at them of PC level+5

Hey guys, here is the magneto build. Advice, suggestions?

MAGNETO

Initiative +20 Senses Perception +16;
HP 500; Bloodied 250;
AC 39; Fortitude 40, Reflex 39, Will 41
Saving Throws +5
Resist 10 lightning
Speed fly 8 (hover)
Action Points 2

Aura 2: creatures in the aura take 5 damage from swirling debree at start of their turn.

Aura 2: When Bloodied: +2 to all defences: When an enemy moves into the aura, Magneto may use Contral Metal as a free action

Control Metal (standard; at-will) • see text
Magneto uses one option chosen from the list below. Using Control metal does not provoke opportunity attacks.

1-Throw Object: Ranged 10; +34 vs. AC; Magneto slides an obect into an enemey. Hit: 4d8, 5d8, or 6d8 + 10 (depending on object size)
2-Throw Person: Ranged 10; +32 vs. Fort; Hit: Slide enemy 5 squares and 6d8 +10 and prone if land adjacent to an object or enemy.
3-Metal Bindings: Ranged 10; +32 vs. Reflex; 3d8 + 10 and the target is restrained (save ends)
4-Metal Visor : Ranged 10; +32 vs. Will; 3d8 + 10 damage, and the target is Blinded (save ends)

Dual Control: Standard Action: Magneto uses 2 Control metal options on 2 different enemies.

Shrapnal Explosion: Standard Action: Recharge 6: Close Burst 3 or Blast 5:
+34 vs Ref: 5d10 + 10 and target pushed 5 squares. miss: Half Damage, no push

Steel Prison: Standard Action: Daily: Requires Craft Metal: +32 vd Ref Hit:Target is blind and trapped in a metal orb (no save). Target must break free by any means.

Trampling Orb: Move Action: Recharge 6: Requires Craft Metal: Magneto moves 12 squares, can move through enemy squares. +34 vs AC. 4d8 + 10 damage and knocked prone.
Effect: Magneto is blind and has resist 20 all until end of next turn.
Flavor: Magneto builds a metal orb around himself and flies it around the room, bashing into people.

Attract: Move Action: Burst 3: Slide all metal opbects 2 squares adjactent to him.

Craft Metal: Minor: Fufil craft metal req.

Str 18 (+16) Dex 26 (+20) Wis 18 (+16)
Con 26 (+20) Int 21 (+17) Cha 28 (+21)

I thought about a Marvel 4th Ed the second 4th Ed came out, and at first I was thinking which heroes would be Heroic (The Punisher), Paragon (Wolverine), Epic (Thor), Solo (Galactus) etc, but then i realized in the Marvel Universe so many heroes come up against other heroes or villains (everyone fights everyone eventually sort of thing), so I thought maybe it best to make it with no levels.

Just an idea, I'm still interested. 

A Modern 4e or Marvel 4e seem like they would both work great to me. We were looking at reflavoring a number of classes in superhero sense and I vaguely recall Daredevil being a Martial Flavored sorceror for some reason it worked very well
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I would KILL for a Marvel themed 4E.
I've been toying with this idea recently, and I decided that I would rather throw the X-men against a group of iron golems, slightly retooled to be closer to the classic sentinels.  I would lower some of the initial defenses, but add in a power that let the golems increase their defenses against individual powers each time they are hit.  It makes encounter and daily powers more likely to hit, but those at-wills are going to less useful as the battle goes on, and the team will have to get more creative to keep hitting. 
Check out Gamma World, it uses 4e for the most part, and alot of the powers and combos in all 3 of the books can EASILY replicate the xmen and their particular powers, hell theres already telekinetics, regeneration, solar beams, and huge hulking bruisers in the book, its almost like they made it for playing xmen

If I was the DM, I'd be surprising my players by just using stuff out of a monster manual, but giving it a different name, and making them guess the extent of it's power and what monster they are up against under the guise of a powerful mutant.

I'd be content using a  beholder eye tyrant as a Magneto proxy. Level 19 artillery. I don't think it's the strongest possibility for the epitimy of X-Men villains, but then... Magneto rarely exercises the power of his magnetics to the fullest extent possible. Can we assume that magnetics could tear atoms apart? Why then isn't he using his own form of ray of disentigration? I think telekinesis ray would be a must. 

Poor Cannonball, I like the gist of his power... but he'd probably be a lowly  Fire Bat. (Level 5 skirmisher.) Nightcrawler is clearly a displacer beast, and Mystique is a changeling. (Honestly... I don't see Mystique making direct confrontation. She should be more of a political pain in the ass, not knowing who you can trust, because it could be Mystique, or her shapeshifting into politicians and other prominent figures to come after or frame you.) 

I like this idea of The Juggernaut being a PC, not that it matters... but are you going with 616's "magical gem" explanation for his powers, or ultimate's "he's a mutant with armor fetish" model?
I could be wrong with this, but having read the marvel X-Men comics and seen the shows, Juggernaut would fall more under Magnetos's Dark Brotherhood then allied with the X-Men due to the hatered he has for Professor X. (his half brother that he felt his father loved more)  Non the less the idea sounds awesome.
bump

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
I'd make him immune to dazing, stunning, etc while his helmet is on!   Make it a skill challenge in the combat to remove the helmet! 

you mean immune to psionic attacks that target will ;)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Hey guys, 

Just thought you might be intrested. The first session is this weekend. Everything is squared away. Some changes have taken place, the PCs are below. I'm sure you guys arnt all that intrested, but I'll send you info after the session about what happened. The story starts out on asteroid M. The other Xmen (jean, storm, cyclops, iceman, rogue, husk, canonball) went up there to investigate a few days ago and nobody has heard from them. The Xmen B team, is bieng sent up to investigate. 

Emma Frost
Beast
Gambit
Wolverine

As of now, building Blob was my favorite. Fun little power lets him lay down on an enemy. (prone and restrained no save) Ever round the guy underneath takets damage. :P
I actually am quite interested (in the lurker kind-of-way).
Can we see the character's, I'm especially interested in Gambit ^^ 

I'll see if we can get the PCs to share the character sheet. As far as I know Gambit is a Close Blast Sorceror that weild a staff. For ranged attacks I gave him proficiency in shuruken and he can use them to cast with also. 

He also has a few more bonuses, but I'm not going to get into the specifics 
If most of the PCs are reflavoured 4e classes I would love to get a list of powers and abilities and how they have been reflavoured to fit the character ^^

If most of the PCs are reflavoured 4e classes I would love to get a list of powers and abilities and how they have been reflavoured to fit the character ^^

Hey guys,

So in case anyone was wondering. Last weeks X-men session ran great. I was expecting gambit to be the star of the show, but Emma Frost was Hella powerful. I coulnt get char sheets for you guys but this was the breakdown.

Wol -- Two Weapon Ranger
Beast -- Two Weapon Fighter
Emma Frost- Illusion Mage (essentials)
Gambit- Close Blast  Sorc. (He used his staff and cards together, it was very cool to see)

The greatest moment was when Magneto enters combat, watching Gambit blow 2 dailies and one hit him, only to find out he just killed mystique. 
The next session is going to be a hybrid storyline, I dont want to say to much in case some of the PCs are reading this, but this guy might make an appearance. media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5344/93316... 
Awesome. I would love to see a full transcript of the sesssion, or at least its story :D

What damage type do you use for Gambit's cards? 

Awesome. I would love to see a full transcript of the sesssion, or at least its story :D

What damage type do you use for Gambit's cards? 

Thunder by mechanics, lore wise just energy. 

Basically the party was aware of the fact that they nneded to stop magneto on Asteroid M. They landed on asteroid M. fought off a few guards. (Longshot, Pyro, Warpath, Quill), proceeded to the main area where they were assaulted by the brotherhood. (Blod, Quicksilver, Toad, Avalanche). Using fingerprints off of Avalanche, they gained access to the recearch wing of asteroid M and noticed that there was alot of power bieng routed to it. When they investigated, they found that magneto had build an X-gene manipulator and mind control device. They had to fight off thier own friends first., (Rogue, Iceman, Husk, Cannonball), then Magnetos closest went after them. (Juggernaught, Collosus, Mystique)  and multiple man <--- who had just came out of the manipulator. Finally they kicked the sh!t out of magneto. it was straightforward and lots of fun. 

Next session will be MUCH different 
Sign In to post comments