Add Templates

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I noticed this evening that the ritual for becoming a lich has been added. Or it was always there and I never noticed.

Either way, rad.

But the ritual adds a template to the character when performed. Now before anyone goes and says that only NPC's should be liches or whatnot... the ritual is in there and so it is possible. For those games in which the dungeon master allows such things, it would be nice to be able to apply the template to a player character in the Character Builder program. I know it would be like adding a whole new feature. So I think it could instead be done by ... I dunno ... perhaps adding it somehow into the housee ruled option for selecting feats and powers? Program in templates as a feat or something that can only be selected through the house rules button?

Just a thought.
Emily Hook Longmont, CO Current DragonLance 4th Edition Writing Project: Champions of the Lance
If you use the ritual, you become an NPC, so it's not needed in a player resource like the Character Builder.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yeah but it's not in the monster builder either.
Adding templates, and alternate powers, to the Monster Builder would be really nice.  I'm surprised this has never happened after all this time.

I love D&D more than I could ever love a human child.

If you use the ritual, you become an NPC, so it's not needed in a player resource like the Character Builder.

Nothing in the ritual description says that a character becomes an NPC when the ritual is used. The lich template itself only recommends it for NPC's as well. The decion as to whether or not a player character becomes an NPC after using the ritual is left wholly up to the dungeon master unless there is something that I have missed in both the ritual or template descriptions.

Just saying, is all.

The real downside to the lich template (which would make a character difficult to play unless the party characters all have necrotic resistance) is the necrotic aura, which affects creatures and not simply enemies.
Emily Hook Longmont, CO Current DragonLance 4th Edition Writing Project: Champions of the Lance
By the definition of Templates, they only go on NPCs/Monsters.  Therefore, if a template is applied to a creature, it is an NPC/monster.
Right. But that is simply one understanding of a fact that is left wholly up to implication. Based on the wording in the ritual, it can also be just as easily implied that the ritual is the exception to that rule. The same is true - to my understanding - of the ritual which allows a player character to be transformed into a Vampire Lord. It is a ritual which can be purchased and mastered by player characters but it is also a ritual which requires that the caster be a Vampire Lord. Some might say that this means no one can cast it but it also could be read as showing that there can be exceptions.

It is ultimately up to the dungeon master in question, as there does not seem to be a hard and fast rule. 
Right. But that is simply one understanding of a fact that is left wholly up to implication. Based on the wording in the ritual, it can also be just as easily implied that the ritual is the exception to that rule. The same is true - to my understanding - of the ritual which allows a player character to be transformed into a Vampire Lord. It is a ritual which can be purchased and mastered by player characters but it is also a ritual which requires that the caster be a Vampire Lord. Some might say that this means no one can cast it but it also could be read as showing that there can be exceptions.

It is ultimately up to the dungeon master in question, as there does not seem to be a hard and fast rule. 

Well....pretty much false.  On page 174 of the DMG you find the chapter on "Customizing Monsters".

Page 175 second paragraph under the heading "Templates":
This section provides more than a dozen templates for customizing monsters.  Functional templates adapt a monster to a given purpose in an adventure.  You can also add a functional template to a nonplayer character.  See "Creating NPCs" on page 186 for more information.  Class templates allow you to add features of a specific character class to a monster.

If that's not enough for you then there's the little fact that adding a template to a standard creature makes it into an elite.  AFAIK there is no such thing as an "elite PC".  You would essentially be doubling the PC's HP's with no commensurate change to the parties encounter calculations.
n cast it but it also could be read as showing that there can be exceptions.

Yes, there is a hard and fast rule.
The rules for Templates state that they are for NPCs/Monsters.  Therefore, they only go on NPCs/Monsters.
To add to the argument that templates should only go on NPCs, some of the powers recharge on a die roll which I haven't found any class or race attacks that do that.

Also, there are some templates that can be placed on PCs. They are called character themes. For more information look in Dragon magazines and in forums.

There are a lot of forums asking for character themes in the character builder. UnimportantHero, if you want your character to be a Lich in the character builder, first request for character themes to be in the character builder, then request for the Lich theme. I think thats your best bet.
Oh, and if you know where you can request things like that, please post.

>_<

Themes are in the Character Builder.

>_<

Themes will only exist if they're published.  You can't REQUEST a Lich Theme.  Or at least, requesting for one won't just make it suddenly appear there.  It needs to be published in a book or article first.  You could pitch a Dragon article to dndinsider@wizards.com for a Character Theme: Lich.  That might work.  But only if they decide they want your article, and publish you with it. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

See also: Archlich Epic Destiny.

>_<

Themes are in the Character Builder.

>_<

Themes will only exist if they're published.  You can't REQUEST a Lich Theme.  Or at least, requesting for one won't just make it suddenly appear there.  It needs to be published in a book or article first.  You could pitch a Dragon article to dndinsider@wizards.com for a Character Theme: Lich.  That might work.  But only if they decide they want your article, and publish you with it. 

Where do you put themes on in the character builder
The third tab of the character builder, "Add Additional Character Details." It's the first option under the personality traits text box.
"I don't have time for your logic. I'm freaking out here!" - Keroro, Sgt. Frog
The third tab of the character builder, "Add Additional Character Details." It's the first option under the personality traits text box.

thanks

thanks
sorry i posted twice
Sign In to post comments