Essentials Style Ranged Defender: The Harrier

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Based on a discussion I had recently about defenders, I decided to try creating a new defender mechanism that focused on the ally as opposed to the monster. Because it can't stack or conflict with Defender Aura or Marking, some of the language is a bit of a kludge. I'm pretty sure the current wording prevents any of those problems, but I may have missed something or there might be a better way to phrase it.

I stitched the new defender feature into a class modeled on the Hunter. The class probably should get it's own set of Aspects of the Wild with more defender themed benefits, but I'd like some feedback on the new defender feature while I work on those. The encounter power is modeled on Power Strike but is clearly much more powerful. I've always found Power Strike to be underwhelming compared to the minor action, immediate action, and multi-attacking powers O4E classes get, so this is my attempt at pushing that power curve.

Here is the Harrier Ranger, a fully playable ranged defender.
[sblock=Harrier Ranger]

size: large;">Harrier (Ranger)
"When they’re looking at you, I’m looking at them."

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Defender. You quickly spot threats to your allies and attempt to draw enemy fire with well aimed shots.
Power Source: Martial and Primal. Primal spirits empower your senses but years of training aim your shots.
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Wisdom
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex
Hit Points at 1st Level: 15+ Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 9+ Constitution Modifier.
Trained Skills: Dungeoneering or Nature (your choice). From the class skills list below, choose 4 trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Atheltics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex)
Class features: Archery Style, Aspects of the Wild, Harrier’s Barrage, Opportunistic Harrier, Protective Watcher, Wilderness Knacks, Weapon Talent.

Total XPLevelFeats KnownClass Features and Powers
11Archery Style, Aspects of the Wild, Harrier’s Barrage, Opportunistic Harrier, Protective Watcher, Wilderness Knacks, Weapon Talent
1,0002+1Level 2 Ranger Utility Power
2,2503-Improved Harrier's Barrage
3,7504+1Ability Score Increase, Additional Wilderness Knack
5,5005-Second Sight, Weapon Mastery
7,5006+1Level 6 Ranger Utility Power
10,0007-Additional Aspect of the Wild, Improved Harrier’s Barrage
13,0008+1Ability Score Increase, Additional Wilderness Knack
16,5009-Close Combat Archery
20,50010+1Level 10 Ranger Utility Power

Level 1:
Archery Style:
Bow Harrier: You gain Bow Expertise.
Crossbow Harrier: You gain Crossbow Expertise and Speed Loader.

Weapon Talent:
You gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls of weapon attacks.

Wilderness Knacks:
You gain two of the following abilities of your choice.
(See Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms)

Prptective Watcher:
You gain the Protective Watcher power.

size: small;">Protective Watcher

size: small;">Ranger Utility
You begin vigilantly watching an ally, warning them of incoming attacks.
At-Will ♦ Martial, Primal
Minor Action  -  Close Burst 10
Target: One ally in burst.
Special: You cannot target an ally with the Defender Aura power, the Protective Watcher power or an ally already being protected.
Effect: You begin protecting the targeted ally until the end of the encounter, you fall unconscious, or you end this effect as a minor action. Attacks against a protected ally that do not also target you or an ally with an active Defender’s Aura take a -2 penalty. Marked enemies are not subject to this penalty.

Opportunistic Harrier:
You gain the Opportunistic Harrier power.

size: small;">Opportunistic Harrier

size: small;">Ranger Utility
Seeing your protected ally in danger, you launch an attack to take advantage of the opening.
At-Will ♦ Martial, Primal
Opportunity Action  - Personal
Trigger:An enemy within 10 squares of you makes an attack against an ally you are protecting that does not target you or an ally with an active Defender Aura.
Target: The triggering enemy.
Special: You cannot use this power against an enemy marked by the ally targeted with the triggering attack.
Effect: Make a ranged basic attack against the target.

Aspects of the Wild:
You gain two of the following Aspects of the Wild.
(Uses Hunter's list. See Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms)

Harrier's Barrage:
You gain the Harrier's Barrage power

size: small;">Harrier's Barrage

size: small;">Ranger Attack
As soon as your first arrow hits its mark, another is already on the way.
Encounter ♦ Martial, Primal
No Action  -  Special
Trigger:You hit an enemy with a ranged basic attack using a weapon.
Target: The enemy you hit.
Special: You can only use this power once per turn.
Effect: Make a ranged basic attack against the target.

Level 2:
Level 2 Ranger Utility Power:
You gain a level 2 Ranger Utility power of your choice.

Level 3:
Improved Harrier's Barrage:
You gain one more use of Harrier's Barrage per encounter, but you can still use it only once per turn.

Level 4:
Additional WIlderness Knack:
You gain one additional Wilderness Knack.

Level 5:
Weapon Mastery:
You gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks.

Second Sight:
You gain the Second Sight power.

size: small;">Second Sight

size: small;">Ranger Utility 8
The primal spirits temporarily bolster your senses, allowing you to protect two allies from harm.
Encounter ♦ Martial, Primal
Minor Action  -  Close Burst 10
Target: One ally in burst.
Special: You cannot target an ally with the Defender Aura power, the Protective Watcher power or an ally already being protected.
Effect: You begin protecting the targeted ally until the end of the encounter, you fall unconscious, or you end this effect as a minor action. Attacks against a protected ally that do not also target you or an ally with an active Defender’s Aura take a -2 penalty. Marked enemies are not subject to this penalty.

Level 6:
Level 6 Ranger Utility Power:
You gain a level 6 Ranger Utility power of your choice.

Level 7:
Additional Aspect of the Wild:
You gain one additional Aspect of the Wild.

You gain one more use of Harrier's Barrage per encounter, but you can still use it only once per turn.

Level 8:
Additional Wilderness Knack:
You gain one additional Wilderness Knack

Level 9:
Close Combat Archery:
Your ranged attacks don’t provoke opportunity attacks.

Level 10:
Level 10 Ranger Utility Power:
You gain a level 10 Ranger Utility power of your choice.

26,00011+1Ability Score Increase.
32,00012+1-
39,00013-Improved Harrier's Barrage
37,00014+1Ability Score Increase
57,00015-Paragon Weapon Mastery
69,00016+1Level 16 Ranger Utility Power
83,00017-Additional Aspect of the Wild
99,00018+1Ability Score Increase
119,00019--
143,00020+1-

Level 13:

Level 15:
Paragon Weapon Mastery:
The bonus to damage rolls granted by your Weapon Mastery class feature increases to +2.

Level 16:
Level 16 Ranger Utility Power:
You gain a level 16 Ranger utility power of your choice.

Level 17:
Additional Aspect of the Wild:
You gain an additional Aspect of the Wild.

175,00021+1Ability Score Increase
210,00022+1Level 22 Ranger Utility Power
255,00023-Peerless Perception
310,00024+1Ability Score Increase
375,00025-Epic Weapon Mastery
450,00026+1-
550,00027-Focused Harrier
675,00028+1Ability Score Increase
825,00029-Split-Eyed Guardian
1,000,00030+1-

Level 22:
Level 22 Ranger Utilty Power:
You gain a level 22 Ranger Utility power of your choice.

Level 23:
Peerless Perception:
Whenever you make a Perception check, you can roll twice and use either result.

Level 25:
Epic Weapon Mastery:
The bonus to damage rolls granted by your Weapon Mastery class feature increases to +3.

Level 27:
Focused Harrier:
You can take opportunity actions while Dazed.

Level 29:
Split-Eyed Guardian:
Your Protective Watcher power targets an additional ally in the burst.
Now I have to change the name of my E-style beastmaster again.
I don't have type to PEACH right now, but when I get a chance I'll read through and critique.
Corriver's Lantern - a D&D blog featuring the Frozen Over Campaign Setting. I am not anonymous. I am Colin B. Schaeffer.
I just read through your defender feature. I really like it :D
If seen something like this before, but to be honest you did it much better :D
I like the way you made sure it didn't clash with any marks or defender auras. I recommend allowing him to protect more and more allies as he grows in power. I want you to imagine two scenarios, one with a marked BBEG and the other where a 5man party is going up against a BBEG, and one of your allies is protected. One is obviously superior to the other ;)

Imma gonna read thru the rest nao ^^

EDIT:
The utility power is really a waste of a utility slot, since what it does is give you a second use of your defender feature. I think you should write it as a feature and do something creative and new with the utility slot. I can't wait to see more flavour and am even more excited for the defender-y aspects ^^ 

Does he get any at-wills other than a ranged basic? Can we get a throwing weapon support?

At-wills:
A suggestion for an atwill would be a ranged basic attack (a la the hunter) with the effect "and each of your allies adjacent to the target gain a +2 (power?) bonus to all defensed aganst the target's attacks until the end of your next turn". It's a basic controller effect written up as a defender effect so they can stack^^

I think you should even give him a disruptive shot-style power... I really like that power ^^

This class is a ranger, and rangers have a rep to uphold. He does well as a defender with his defender feature and ways of improving that. I think you should find a target DPR and try to match it. A easy way to give him bonuses to damage would be having an aspect or at-will that says "And if the target has hit any of your protected allies since the end of your last turn you gain a bonus to the attack/damage roll equal to your wisdom modifier"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
If we match this to perhaps the Cavalier we might need a Disruptive Shot and preferably an at-will power or two ^^
Where did you get the forum-able template for this class?

I really like The Harrier. I was wondering if you could post it as a doc or docx so I can download it on my computer (and print out when necessary)? That would be awesome ^^

Why the defenderesque hit points? I thought The harrier stayed in the back, using a barbarian or something as a meat-shield. He obviously as now way to "kite" since I doesn't have a slowing at-will... 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.