Dragon 404: Monk Basics

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Piercing Palm feat does not allow Monk Unarmed Strike to be used with rogue powers, meaning that a rogue who took the feat would only be able to use it with melee basic attacks. Another sentence like "In addition, you can use your monk unarmed strike with rogue powers that require a light blade and are not ranged or area powers." would be helpful.
One other drawback of Piercing Palm is that it doesn't work with Scoundrel Weapon Talent or Thief Weapon Talent.

Perhaps a better way to phrase the feat would be: "Your monk unarmed strike is also considered to be a dagger for the purposes of rogue powers and rogue class features."
I wonder... would it break anything to just say that your unarmed strike counts as a light blade? 
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Light Blades get ludicrous damage support, so yes, it probably would (and would make the MC absolutely delicious for basically anyone who like 1hws and high damage).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
To be clear, I'm talking of changing the text of Piercing Palm to "Benefit: Your monk unarmed strike counts as a light blade". And, while that looks like a cool feat that people would use, I can't find it opening any unbalanced combination. Support for the unarmed weapon group is almost non-existant. A monk wouldn't get much out of the feat beyond what it can already do using a dagger as an implement, except for perhaps better basic attacks (which it needs). And a rogue would have a reskinned rapier which doesn't really do much that a rapier can't do.

Or am I missing the degenerate combo here? 
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Depends who has access to Piercing Palm.  If it's prereqs are rogue and monk, it's probably OK.  But if it's just Rogue or just Monk, then you're giving either of those classes, and potentially anyone who MCs Monk, access to a d10 off-hand light blade.  And that's a pretty big thing.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A monk wouldn't get much out of the feat

That's an understatement.

It does nothing for them at all. A monk does not, cannot use their unarmed strike as an implement because it cannot be enchanted and therefore provides no enhancement bonus to their attacks.

Monks can use their Ki Focuses' enhancements when they use their unarmed strike. 

Furthermore, feat and power connectivity.  If a feat says "with light blades" or a power says "must be weilding a light blade" the unarmed strike counts.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Erachima is correct. Monks can use the enhancement bonus/crit line/properties on a ki focus when making a weapon attack, or when using the ki focus directly as an implement. The unarmed strike itself does not have an enhancement bonus to use. The only way that a monk could effectively use Monk Unarmed Strike as an implement is in a game with inherent bonuses, and in that circumstance, it's equivalent to using a generic magic implement.
But the MUS is a weapon with which you are proficient.

"When you wear or hold your ki focus, you can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of monk powers and monk paragon path powers that have the implement keyword. You can also add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of weapon attacks you make using a weapon with which you’re proficient."

That looks to me that you get to add Ki Focus enhancement on a weapon attack using the MUS with a Ki Focus.
Yes.

That's not the point.

You can make weapon attacks using it with the ki focus enhancement.

You can't make implement attacks using it and the ki focus enhancement.  Implement attacks for the Monk take their enhancement from the weapon, if you want to cast through it, and the MUS is never enchanted.

The feat Internalize the Basic Kata is not clear as to whether it is intended to allow you to use your flurry of blows more than once per round. If it is, a sentence should be added explaining such. If it is not, a sentence should be added explaining such.

This hasn't been changed yet, and it's needed.  With the current wording FOB will rarely be triggered on OAs by monks with Internalize the Basic Kata, because using FoB on an OA requires the monk to miss on their turn. 

The other option is to let monks use their FoB every turn.
Was Piercing Palm fixed?  Character Builder shows my sneak attack on the cards when using ki focused unarmed strike.    Or is this CB just displaying incorrectly?

------------ http://twitter.com/#!/combatadvantage