Mono Black Infect Deck

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

So I am looking to make a competative deck. And infect has been doing quite well. I saw this deck list and really like it.

Tell me what you think? What would you change? Would you say Liliana really needs to be in this deck?

Artifacts

Contagion Clasp
" tooltip="Contagion Clasp">Contagion Clasp

Lashwrithe
" tooltip="Lashwrithe">Lashwrithe

Nihil Spellbomb
" tooltip="Nihil Spellbomb">Nihil Spellbomb

Tumble Magnet
" tooltip="Tumble Magnet">Tumble Magnet

Creatures

Phyrexian Crusader
" tooltip="Phyrexian Crusader">Phyrexian Crusader

Plague Stinger
" tooltip="Plague Stinger">Plague Stinger

Whispering Specter
" tooltip="Whispering Specter">Whispering Specter

Instants

Dismember
" tooltip="Dismember">Dismember

Doom Blade
" tooltip="Doom Blade">Doom Blade

Tribute to Hunger
" tooltip="Tribute to Hunger">Tribute to Hunger

Victim of Night
" tooltip="Victim of Night">Victim of Night

Virulent Wound
" tooltip="Virulent Wound">Virulent Wound

Legendary Creatures

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
" tooltip="Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon">Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Planeswalkers

Liliana of the Veil
" tooltip="Liliana of the Veil">Liliana of the Veil

Sorceries

Distress
" tooltip="Distress">Distress

" tooltip="Tezzeret's Gambit">Tezzeret's Gambit

Basic Lands

Swamp
" tooltip="Swamp">Swamp

Lands

Inkmoth Nexus
" tooltip="Inkmoth Nexus">Inkmoth Nexus

Sideboard:

Nihil Spellbomb
" tooltip="Nihil Spellbomb">Nihil Spellbomb

Tumble Magnet
" tooltip="Tumble Magnet">Tumble Magnet

Spellskite
" tooltip="Spellskite">Spellskite

Phyrexian Vatmother
" tooltip="Phyrexian Vatmother">Phyrexian Vatmother

Whispering Specter

Tribute to Hunger

Virulent Wound

" tooltip="Black Sun's Zenith">Black Sun's Zenith

Distress
The deck does not need Liliana at all. -3 Liliana +2 Whispering Specter, +1 Tezz Gambit. She is still way overpriced for what you get.
See that's exactly what I thought! But two separate decks from pro players both contain her. there must be a reasons. Maybe its just the presence she has? Or the discarding effect along with whispering specter?
See that's exactly what I thought! But two separate decks from pro players both contain her. there must be a reasons. Maybe its just the presence she has? Or the discarding effect along with whispering specter?

It is literally nothing more than the fact many times tournament decks are thrown together at the last minute. Theres a good 5-6+ MBI decks from states that look nearly identical (with liliana's) because they took the idea from the Gerry T show. Those decks and people netdecking those exact decks are the only reason you're seeing her in deck lists. She's really not optimal in the deck.
I think a couple of you guys are being a bit unfair to Liliana.

She's not terrible here. I wouldn't say she's necessary, but she's fairly powerful even just as an Edict engine (i.e. taking some removal slots). I think I'd only want 2 maximum.

That being said, you already have 4 Crusader and 4 Whispering Specter at 3 cmc (and if you don't, you should, both of them are integral to effective Infect blowouts).
Hmm, I think I have come to the conclusion of not actually using Liliana. She is just too expensive for a she's not terrible here item.

I think I will deffo spend the money to make this deck. I just like everything about it!

Anymore ideas? Would you keep it the same minus the Liliana's? What about trigon of rage? PS, who do you make it link to the cards is it... something like [c] Cardname [c] ?? 
I also recently used my friend's B/G infect deck and found it to be quite fun and so decided to come out with a mono black infect.

Land

20x Swamp
4x Inkmoth Nexus

Creatures

4x Plague Stinger
4x Phyrexian Crusader
3x Whispering Specter
2x Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Spells

4x Virulent Wound
3x Dismember
3x Doom Blade
3x Geth's Verdict
3x Go for the Throat
3x tezzeret's Gambit

Artefacts

4x Lashwrithe
2x Contagion Clasp

what do you guy think about it ?
Yeah, thats the build I would go for I reckon. Has some more removal and no Lilians. Have you ever played with this Mono Black deck yet?

If so, how did it go? Did you find some match up's difficult?

So what do people thing of Trigon of Rage? 

Anymore ideas? Would you keep it the same minus the Liliana's? What about trigon of rage? PS, who do you make it link to the cards

Almost. Liliana of the veil[/c ] if you remove the spaces will be [c]Liliana of the veil.

Instead of 3 Doom Blade and 3 Go fo the Throat, im going to run 2 doom blade, 2 go for the throat and 2 victim of night. It spreads what your 2cmc removal suite cant target over a wider range of creatures.

Trigon of rage: I would rather run contagion clasp. the +3 +0 is nice but being ablt to squeeze out that last poision directly appeals to me a little more.

EDIT: Postmortem Lunge seems to have been left out. Seems like a solid finisher.
this deck is just an idea cuz im still in the process of building up my U/B control but i may consider building this one after that, depending on my budget
Have you considered ichor rats and also core prowlers?  If you're dealing with budget, these are good options.  

The version I've been working on I run core prowlers, Corpse Cur, throne of geth, and then the critters you have.

Geth's thrown is basically a proliferate for 2 at the worst... best case is when you drop say core prowler it's a instant two counters out there, if you need that poison and the blockers out being able to feed your own artifacts going is priceless, which gets you around turbo fog etc.  With your inkmoth well that's also now a auto proliferate with a thrown of geth out as well...  Just some food for thought
i actually considered ichor rats but didn't know what to take out for them and i think the most expensive things to get would be the lashwrithe, blight dragon and the inkmoths for me. the rest should be quite cheap or i already have them.
one of the things I think would be kind of interesting to see, is just a straight up ramp to blightsteel colossus and inquisitor's flail...  double strike 11/11 infect!

Use control and viridian emissaries and rampant growth to ramp to the 11 mana asap =p 
that would be epic to see but probably wont be easy to pull off i would think  Tongue Out
MBI wins because it's just so freaking fast and reliable. The spectre eats their hand, Lash means you're swinging for lethal with just about anything, you've got lots of threats coming and manalands if they remove stuff, and Skittles has haste when you need it... and the manabase doesn't cause mulligans.

Going off color for ramp, etc, as awesome as it would be, just means losing consistancy and the ability to end the game fast.

Niche, the crowned king of mono-black took MBI to a tournament not that long ago. I'd search that thread up. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
was playing against a turbo fog that did it pretty well.  Those Emissarys are pretty amazing rampant growth that generally gets delt with because it's  2/1 swinging every damn turn right off the bat. it's not too hard to see 9 mana by turn 5 but it's definatly not a easy cast.  you'd only have two of in the deck probably. 

oh and four solemn orichalums. 
So I think I am going to go with something like this:

I am missing 4 cards. What would you suggest?

Artifacts

Contagion Clasp
" tooltip="Contagion Clasp">Contagion Clasp

Lashwrithe
" tooltip="Lashwrithe">Lashwrithe
2 Trigon of Rage

Creatures

Phyrexian Crusader
" tooltip="Phyrexian Crusader">Phyrexian Crusader

Plague Stinger
" tooltip="Plague Stinger">Plague Stinger

Whispering Specter

Instants

Dismember
" tooltip="Dismember">Dismember

Doom Blade
" tooltip="Doom Blade">Doom Blade

Tribute to Hunger

Victim of Night
" tooltip="Victim of Night">Victim of Night

Virulent Wound

Legendary Creatures

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
" tooltip="Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon">Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Sorceries

Distress

" tooltip="Tezzeret's Gambit">Tezzeret's Gambit

Basic Lands

Swamp
" tooltip="Swamp">Swamp

Lands

Inkmoth Nexus
" tooltip="Inkmoth Nexus">Inkmoth Nexus (Because I can't afford the other two!)
Something you may consider is another virulent wound, and just increasing tribute to hunger count (lastly for love of pete use card commands, god I hate having to look at external sites for this crap!)
Something you may consider is another virulent wound, and just increasing tribute to hunger count (lastly for love of pete use card commands, god I hate having to look at external sites for this crap!)

Yeah I could just up the count of those cards. Was just seeing if there was anything else.

Sorry about the links! only just learnt about the command!!!  
one thing I've been toying with is dropping a couple of the green phyrexian mana costed pump spells in here to boost the poison count very quickly even at the exepense of life.
yeah of course heh, just swinging with one critter and tapping out, they'd deal with it if they could second you tap most likely. So you know that's a instant 3 poison counters when you use it.   I'm really looking forward to what can be done when the next set comes out.
yeah of course heh, just swinging with one critter and tapping out, they'd deal with it if they could second you tap most likely. So you know that's a instant 3 poison counters when you use it.   I'm really looking forward to what can be done when the next set comes out.

But we have already got boosts in the form of lashwrithe and Trigon of Rage and being able to stop blockers with contagion clasp

Although I understand that Growth is instant and has the eliment of suprise
Not really a big fan of trigon of rage, i would rather pack in more creature destructions and what not but thats just me =)

1 x Dismember
2 x Doom Blade
1 x Tribute to Hunger
2 x Victim of Night
3 x Virulent Wound  

Don't you think that is enough removal?

I personally think that having the boost to the monsters attack is better than having more monsters out. Also what do you guys think of  Surgical Extraction ? Good side or do you think I could get away with 2 side and 1 main? Or, non at all?

Cheers 

Throw in a copy or two of contagion engine. Trigon of corruption is nice as well.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Would you guys play Phyrexian Vatmother in the sideboard vs RDW?
Vatmother is a must against mono red. Stick 3 on the sideboard. Also, make no mistake Liliana is a must in this deck, no other card(s) complement this deck like she does. She's got removal and hand control in one 3 mana package, and a game ending ultimate which isn't hard to play with help from Gambit and Clasp. Scrap Tribute and Dismember and run at least 2 Liliana if you want to be competitive. Also, scrap the Clasps for Sword of Feast and Famine if you can afford it for a lock on mirror and mono green matches. If you do, make sure to run at least 3 Gambit's to make up for lack of proliferation. Don't run Nihil and don't run Tumble like all those no talent copycats, you don't need graveyard removal, this deck owns Solar Flare outright even without those cards. Just sideboard some Surgical Extraction in case you actually come across a decent Solar Flare deck (fat chance).

What is the best way to beat Wolf Run?  I run a version of mono infect,  and finding that the best cards are  despise  (stop those Garrucks),  distress (to remove their beast within or garrucks) and virulent wound (as they are so handy against the birds/elfs and the blinkmoths).  

Running in the main
4 despise
2 distress
3 virulent wound

Then if against wolf I sidebord in the full playset for each.

What other cards are ways to beat wolf run - that we should consider running in main or side to help take down the wolf?

The other cards in mydeck:

4 Phyrexian crusader
4 Plage stinger
3 whispering specter
2 skitriyx
2 vatmothers
4 lashwrithe
2 trigon of rage
2 tezz gambit
3 victim of night
2 drowned catacombes
4 inkmoths
18 swamps

Sideboard:
2 black sun zenith
2 distress
1 virulent wound
1 doom blade
2 go for the throat
2 surgical extraction
2 ratchet bomb
3 nihil spellbomb

I have never found red a problem. Vatmother just seems worse than the Crusader in that matchup anyway.
Since my current fav standard deck in standard atm is MBI, I must comment!

Mutagenic Growth I find meh, it's my only "ninja pump", 4 lashwrithes should do awesomely enough for pump, I'd rather drop the growths for more control, like Despises and other stuff
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Mutagenic Growth   is fun to run, block his 6/6 titan with your crusader slap the mutagenic growth on, survive the hit and leave his titan a measly 2/2 .

However it really does not complement the deck that well and it's a one hit wonder.    I'm running two trigon of rage.  but find there is no subsuitute for the Lashwrire.  Therefore a tez gambit IMHO is Better than a mutagenic growth in your hand.   However, it's your deck and you have to think about the meta you play.  It is not a bad card to have in the deck.
Sign In to post comments