Recommended Methods for Gaming in Non-Gamer Territory

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quite self-explainatory, where I live there is at least 1/40 people that plays any tabletop games anymore. Anyone ever done games via skype or something else? I noticed the Gnomefinger thread, that's basically online-d&d right?

Any recommendations or ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am Blue/Black "The Red Dragon is pulverizing your friends..." -Me "Okay so I'm up here?" -Shrui "Yeah..." -Me "Okay I want to triple backflip down from the ceiling while holding my family's katana and drive it through the Dragon's head." -Shrui "Yeah you'll take a -15 because he's moving his head." -Me "Don't care, I try it anyway." -Shrui (Acrobatics Roll Succeeds) (Attack Roll Succeeds) "How much extra damage do I get for this attack?" -Shrui "It dies, you don't need to do an attack roll." -Me Evil Dungeon Master says, And now young adventurer... you die.
Since I live in South America now, I play online using GameTable (OSU Project) and Ventrilo for voicechat. Online gaming has its benefits.

Gnomefinger is a one-shot game I wrote and am running for Centauri, Plaguescarred, warrl, and wraithgnome. We're finishing it this Sunday. Perhaps someone else will run the next one. I'm sure I'll run one again sometime down the road. It's been a lot of fun.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

Here, Have Some Free Material From Me: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Dark Sun Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Generated D&D 5e PCs

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I "grew my own".  I run a game for my kids and their friends (High School and Middle School). 

I may go with the VT (Beta) if I can get my schedule to match  

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Since I live in South America now, I play online using GameTable (OSU Project) and Ventrilo for voicechat. Online gaming has its benefits.

Gnomefinger is a one-shot game I wrote and am running for Centauri, Plaguescarred, warrl, and wraithgnome. We're finishing it this Sunday. Perhaps someone else will run the next one. I'm sure I'll run one again sometime down the road. It's been a lot of fun.

Are there any D&D players in South America? I'll check out the two sources, also Gnomefinger sounds like it's fun. :P

I "grew my own".  I run a game for my kids and their friends (High School and Middle School). 

I may go with the VT (Beta) if I can get my schedule to match  

Yeah but you're lucky in the manner that not all tabletop gaming in your area is recognized as a "nerd's sport".
I am Blue/Black "The Red Dragon is pulverizing your friends..." -Me "Okay so I'm up here?" -Shrui "Yeah..." -Me "Okay I want to triple backflip down from the ceiling while holding my family's katana and drive it through the Dragon's head." -Shrui "Yeah you'll take a -15 because he's moving his head." -Me "Don't care, I try it anyway." -Shrui (Acrobatics Roll Succeeds) (Attack Roll Succeeds) "How much extra damage do I get for this attack?" -Shrui "It dies, you don't need to do an attack roll." -Me Evil Dungeon Master says, And now young adventurer... you die.
Oh it is.  I'm in Northern Wyoming.  Sport is KING (from Fishing to Football)

Closest FLGS is 2 hours one way  

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Are there any D&D players in South America? I'll check out the two sources, also Gnomefinger sounds like it's fun. :P

Yes, actually. There's a gaming and hobby store right on my street a short walk away. They have tables set up outside in the beautiful Medellin weather where you can game or do miniatures games/wargames. I speak some Spanish, but I'm not fluent and wouldn't have the full range of expression I require to run a game (though I got the swear words down). It would be a decent way to learn but can you imagine a DM stuttering his way through an adventure, constantly asking what the Spanish word for "catoplebas" is?

Gnomefinger has been very fun. These guys are well creative and that's always fun when you're DM. And I just know I've opened myself up to a ton of improvised actions on Sunday given my presence in that other thread. Dammit.

It's okay, we already had one in the game and nobody noticed. (It's when Dozer jumped off the bridge and onto the boat.) Goes to show ya...

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

Here, Have Some Free Material From Me: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Dark Sun Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Generated D&D 5e PCs

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Dude! I know exactly how that is.  I used to live in a town called Big Piney, Wyoming.  It really is all about the football.
You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

Dude! I know exactly how that is.  I used to live in a town called Big Piney, Wyoming.  It really is all about the football.

Doesn't sound like my kind of place.