PEACH - Wrath, the Vengeful

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I designed this NPC for use in a campaign, I am wondering whether people think he is overpowered, underpowered, or about right.

He is designed to work with six other NPCs.

Wrath, the VengefulLevel 21 Elite Brute
Medium Natural HumanoidXP 6,400

HP 410; Bloodied 205; Initiative +18; Regeneration 15
AC 42; Fortitude 39, Reflex 38, Will 31, Perception +12
Speed 7, Charge 9; Low-light vision
Resist Cold 10, Necrotic 10
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Traits
Agile Superiority
Wrath gains a +8 bonus to opportunity attacks. An enemy struck by Wrath's opportunity attack stops moving, if a move provoked the attack.
Combat Challenge
Every time Wrath attacks an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, Wrath can mark that target. The mark lasts until the end of Wrath's next turn. In addition, whenever an adjacent enemy shifts, Wrath makes a basic melee attack against that enemy (as an immediate reaction).
Deadly Soldier
When Wrath wields an off-hand weapon, the damage die of that weapon increases
Furious Charge
Wrath gains a +2 bonus to speed when charging. Whenever Wrath charges and makes a basic melee attack, that attack gains the invigorating keyword. In addition, Wrath can take actions after a charge.
Unbridled Fury
Whenever Wrath misses with an attack that costs a standard action, he must make a second attack roll against a valid target adjacent to the original target for the same attack.
Standard Actions
Katar (Weapon) ♦ At-Will
Attack: Melee Weapon (one creature); +30 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8+8 damage. (3d8+4d6+24 damage on a critical hit)
Dual Strike (Martial, Weapon) ♦ At-Will
Attack: Melee Weapon (One Creature); +30 vs. AC (two attacks)
Hit: 2d8+8 damage per attack. (3d8+4d6+24 damage on a critical hit)
Battlefield Challenge (Martial, Weapon) ♦ Daily
Attack: Melee Weapon (One Creature); +30 vs. AC
Hit: 5d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+48 damage on a critical).
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever an enemy Wrath can see makes an attack that does not include him as a target, Wrath can mark that enemy as an opportunity action. The mark takes effect after the attack, and lasts until the end of Wrath's next turn..
Special: When charging Wrath may use this power in place of a melee basic attack.
Fighter's Recovery (Martial, Weapon) ♦ Daily
Attack: Melee Weapon (One Creature); +30 vs. AC
Hit: 3d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+32 damage on a critical hit).
Effect: If Wrath has used both Shocking Twister and Skirmisher's Pounce, he may regain one of those powers.
Shocking Twister (martial, weapon) ♦ Encounter
Primary Attack: Melee Weapon (One Creature); +32 vs. AC (main weapon)
Hit: 1d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+16 on a critical) and make a secondary attack against the target.
Secondary Attack: 30 vs. AC (off-hand weapon).
Hit: 1d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+16 on a critical) and Wrath may shift 3 and make a tertiary attack against the target.
Tertiary Attack: +30 vs AC (either weapon)
Hit: 1d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+16 on a critical) and Wrath may shift 3 and the target is dazed until the end of Wrath's next turn.
Skirmisher's Pounce (martial, Weapon) ♦ Encounter
Primary Attack: Melee Weapon (One Creature); +30 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+24 damage on a critical hit), and Wrath can shift 4 squares and make a secondary attack.
     If Wrath has combat advantage against the target, this attack deals 8 more damage.
Secondary Target: One Creature other than the primary target.
Secondary attack: +30 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8+8 damage (3d8+4d6+24 damage on a critical hit), and Wrath can shift 4 squares and make a secondary attack.
     If Wrath has combat advantage against the target, this attack deals 8 more damage.
Special: When charging, charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.
Second Wind (Healing) ♦ Encounter
Effect: Wrath spends a healing surge and gains 102 hit point. In addition, he gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the begining on his next turn.
Special: As a standard action, an adjacent ally can make a DC 10 Heal check to allow Wrath to use this power without spending an action.
Minor Actions
Incredible Stride (stance) ♦ Daily
Effect: Until the stance ends, Wrath gains a +4 power bonus to speed.
Third Wind (Healing) ♦ Daily
Effect: Wrath spends a healing surge and regain 102 hit points.
Special: As a standard action, an adjacent ally can make a DC 10 Heal check to allow Wrath to use this power without spending an action.
Dancing Katar (item daily power) ♦ Recharge When Bloodied 
Effect: Wrath may make a melee basic attack at a range of 2.
Sustain (minor): You may repeat this attack.
Great Cat Darkhide (item daily power) ♦ Encounter  
Effect: Shift 8 squares.
Triggered Actions
Furious Assault ♦ Encounter
Trigger: Wrath hits an enemy.
Effect: Wrath's attack deals an extra 1d8.
Fury's Resurgence (healing, martial) ♦ Daily
Trigger: Wrath scores a critical hit or reduces an enemy to 0 hit points.
Effect: Wrath spends a healing surge and regains 105 hit points. Wrath makes a saving throw against each effect that a save can end with a +3 bonus.
Half-Orc Resilience (keyword) ♦ Encounter
Trigger: Wrath becomes bloodied for the first time in the encounter.
Effect: Wrath gains 15 temporary hit points.
Murderous Frenzy ♦ Encounter
Trigger: Wrath reduces a foe to 0 hit points.
Effect: Wrath gains 1 Action Point.
Savage Rebuke ♦ At-Will
Trigger: Wrath is hit by a melee attack.
Effect: Wrath makes a basic melee attack as an immediate interrupt.
Skills Athletics +25, Endurance +20

Str 26 (+18)Dex 26 (+18)Wis 15 (+12)
Con 16 (+13)Int 10 (+10)Cha 12 (+11)

Alignment Evil Languages Common, Giant
Equipment 2 +4 Katars, 2 +4 Katars of Dancing, +4 Great Cat Darkhide, Boots of Striding, Ring of Shadowguard

Cannot tell you whether he is too powerful or not, but can tell you that he needs simplifying. There is far too much going on.

He also seems to based around PC powers . . . in fact it looks like you made a PC build then converted some of it into a monster?

The math does seem a bit off. A level 21 brute should be getting +26 vs AC, not +30. Damage expressions on At-Will single targets should be around 4d6+15 (average 29 damage), although you could up that for an Elite if it only gets one attack per round  by design (i.e. no triggered attacks, or Minor action attacks). His AC should be around 33, not 42 - that's a huge difference, and players will have a lot of trouble dealing with his very high defences (only Will is about right).

Edit: The large number of powers improving his resilience, on top of regeneration, seems overkill, and is probably a side effect of conversion. PCs need healing powers in combat - monsters have larger amounts of HP to start with, and monster healing powers are rarer. Giving this particular monster access to an additional pool of over 300 hit points is probably making him a little too resilient.

So, let me see if I have this right:

A: he has too much healing for a monster,
B: his to hits are too high
C: his damage is too low
D: and his defenses are too high

Is that the jist of your statement. I'll post my calculations soon and maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong.

Edit: Calculations
I used the NPC Design system in the DMG and dropped the AC and FORT bonuses for the template I gave him.
Attack Bonus = 10 (Half level) + 9 (Level Bonus) + 8 (Ability Score) + 3 (Proficiency Bonus) + 4 (Enhancement Bonus) - 4 (Magic Threshold) = +30

AC = 10 (Base) + 10 (Half level) + 9 (Level Bonus) + 8 (Ability Score) + 4 (Darkhide Armor) + 4 (Enhancement Bonus) -4 (Magic Threshold) +1 (Tempest Technique) = 42 AC

Fortitude = 10 (Base) + 10 (Half level) + 9 (Level Bonus) + 8 (Ability Score) + 2 (Class Bonus) = 39
Reflex = 10 (Base) + 10 (Half level) + 9 (Level Bonus) + 8 (Ability Score) + 1 (Tempest Technique) = 38
Will = 10 (Base) + 10 (Half level) + 9 (Level Bonus) + 2 (Ability Score) = 31

Strength Based Damage = +8 (Ability Score) +4 (Enhancement) - 4 (magic threshold)
In addition, I was allotted 1 At-Will, 2 Encounter, 2 Daily, and 3 Utility powers and used them thusly

AW Dual Strike
EN Skirmisher's Pounce
EN Shocking Twister
D Battle Field Challenge
D Fighter's Recovery
U Incredible Stride
U Third Wind
U Fury's Resurgence

Savage Berserker gave the following
Savage Rebuke
Murderous Frenzy
Regeneration 15

Being a Half-Orc gave
Half-Orc resilience
Furious assault
and part of furious charge.

The other part of furious charge came from the epic destiny I would have chosen: Invincible Vanguard
and deadly soldier came from the shock trooper paragon path.

Unbridled Fury was something that I made up that PCs could take advantage of, if they figured it out. (Make Wrath hit his allies)

I also gave him 2 dancing katars intentionally, it's part of what makes him wrath. these increase his damage potential while somewhat decreasing his mobility. he charges most of the time, so he can still cover ground and deal damage.
Your problem is that you are using the PC system to build a monster

Your calculations should go like this:

He's a Brute. Brutes get AC of 12 + Level. 12 + 21 = 33. End of calculation.

As you are DM, you can then adjust the stats for "feel".  So, if you feel he should have extra good AC due to his description, then increase the AC, perhaps as high as 37, but reduce some other ability to compensate. Then you will have built a level 21 brute, as opposed to building something else and slapping the L21 Brute label on afterwards.

You can add one or two racial features and powers similar to the PC ones, because these are recognisable, and not too complicated. Generally you can ignore all other factors, such as feats, paragon paths, epic destinies, class features.

It's fine to give him magic items, but you don't need to alter his stats for them - you can simply assume they are part of the stats as written. When you build a PC, they progress very differently to a monster, and they need the modifiers for magic items. Monsters simply have it all factored in, and you don't generally adjust monster stats with item enhancement bonuses, because that is adding the same bonus twice and makes them over powered.

Edit - some more examples of calculations for monsters:

Brutes get attack versus AC of 5 + Level.  5 + 21 = +26 vs AC. End of calculation
Brutes get Non-AC defences of 12 + Level.  12 + 21 = 33 for Fort, Ref, Will. As he's thematically a tough guy, you might adjust this to 35 Fort, 33 Ref, 31 Will . . .
Brutes have hit points of (Level +1) x 10 + Con. Double this for an Elite. So Wrath might have approx 460 hit points. He shouldn't have Second Wind, Third Wind etc, as those are PC powers, intended for PCs who will generally have less than half Wrath's starting hit point total.

For powers and effects, a simple Level 21 Elite monster might have a Basic Melee attack (edit: make this do around 4d6+15 damage, but you can make higher for brutes and/or Elites, if you want him to be scary - for example, I might go up to 5d6 + 25 if it were pure damage, with no conditions, or maybe for thematic nastiness have it as 4d6+15, plus 15 ongoing (save ends) for a bleed effect), plus another, better At Will. Then add a couple of Encounter powers, and maybe one or two triggered actions, or perhaps an Aura. You can base these powers of racial, class or item powers that you feel the NPC should have, but they do not have to be identical or called the same thing.

I can understand that for a pure monster, but why do they have an NPC design system then, and why are they so different, it doesn't make sense.

I used the NPC system because Wrath and the others are supposed to be like corrupted heroes. The only reason Wrath is a Brute is because the template said to change him to brute, I was thinking of him more like a skirmisher/soldier crossover.

From what I understand there are three systems, first PC, which players use, then Monster, which is detailed in the DMG, and then NPC, which follows the monster section. NPC system doesn't allow for feats and minimizes magic items like the monster system, but gives a more PC feel, which is what I wanted, so why do they produce such variable results.
OK, first question: Is Wrath built to be a combat opponent of the PCs?

If so, ignore the NPC build mechanics form the DMG, because they are not helping you get a good result here (I think you may be trying too hard to find some consistent rules, wher ethere are none). Use the monster system - it will do what you need.

If not, my apologies for dragging this out, but what do you intend to use the NPC for?

I assumed you meant to build a monster to fight, because this is a combat stat block.
I do intend to use Wrath for combat against the PCs.

I was using the NPC design system because I wanted something that felt like a PC, but that I could use as an opponent.

If I read you correctly, I should scrap this design and just redo the whole thing using the Monster design method, and ad-hoc abilities then?
I do intend to use Wrath for combat against the PCs.

I was using the NPC design system because I wanted something that felt like a PC, but that I could use as an opponent.

If I read you correctly, I should scrap this design and just redo the whole thing using the Monster design method, and ad-hoc abilities then?

Yes, you will end up with a simpler design that will be both easier to play, and closer to the balance point for his level.

Your work isn't lost though, its a good pool of the sort of powers that you feel Wrath should have.

Some ways to incorporate the feel of a PC would be to:

1) Give Wrath an easy-to-recognise Half-Orc racial power.

2) Base his power special effects, such as conditions imposed, or buffs, on something from a regular class. If he's a "defender", then using marks, and punishing opponents that ignore his marks, is just fine. I'm sure you could find a regular monster at around his level that does this, and adapt a few things.

3) Give him one or two powers closely resembling one of the Dailies you took from the class. For instance, if marking is his thing, I'd take the effect line from Battlefield Challenge, and turn it into e.g. an Aura 5: Wrath marks any enemy in the aura that makes an attack not including him. The mark is applied after the attack is resolved and lasts until the end of Wrath's next turn. Note how this cuts out the attack part of the Daily, and just gives him the essence of how it affects a Fighter at around his level. Also note that this specific power is only really useful if he can do something to marked opponents on his turn.

working on redesign......
ok, here is the redesign, what do you think now?

Wrath, the Vengeful
Level 21 Elite Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid
6,400 XP

HP 408; Bloodied 204; Initiative +17
AC 35; Fortitude 37, Reflex 36, Will 32, Perception +11
Speed 8, Charge 10 (see master charger); Darkvision
Resist Cold 10, Necrotic 10, Regeneration 15
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Traits
Combat Challenge
Whenever Wrath attacks an enemy, he marks that enemy regardless of whether he hits. The Mark last until the end of his next turn. The target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls that don't include Wrath as a target. A new mark supersedes a mark already in place.
In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against the enemy as an opportunity action.
Master Charger
Wrath gains a +2 bonus to speed when charging. In addition, When Wrath charges, he may continue his turn after the charge is resolved.
Murderous Frenzy
Wrath gains 1 Action Point the first time he reduces a foe to 0 hit points in an encounter.
Standard Actions
Katar (Weapon) ♦ At-Will 
Attack: Melee Weapon (one target); +26 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6+7.
Vengeful Blade (Weapon) ♦ At-Will
Attack: Melee Weapon (one target); +24 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d6+7 and the target is slowed until the end of Wrath's next turn.
Special: This power may be used in place of a melee basic attack during an opportunity action.
Frenzied Crosscut (Weapon) ♦ Recharge
Attack: Melee Weapon (one or two targets); +26 vs. AC (two attacks)
Hit: 2d6+7 per hit.
Special: This power may be used in place of a melee basic attack during a charge.
Raging Whirlwind (Weapon) ♦ Recharge  
Attack: Close Burst 2 (all enemies in range); +22 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6+7 damage per hit and slide each target 2 squares.
Evisceration (Weapon) ♦ Encounter
Attack: Melee Weapon (one target); +26 vs. AC (four attacks)
Hit: 2d6+7 per hit.
Second Wind (healing) ♦ Encounter
Effect: Wrath regains 102 hit points and +2 to all defenses until the end of his next turn.
Move Actions
Fury Step At-Will 
Effect: Shift 3 squares.
Minor Actions
Incredible Stride (Stance) ♦ Encounter
Effect: Wrath's speed inceases by 4 during this stance.
Payne & Pleasure (Item) ♦ Recharge when Bloodied
Effect: You may make a Melee Basic Attack as a Free action at a range up to 2 squares..
Sustain: Minor. Repeat the attack.
Triggered Actions
Furious Assault ♦ Encounter
Trigger: When Wrath hits an enemy.
Effect: Wrath deals 8 extra damage.
Savage Rebuke ♦ At-Will
Trigger: When Wrath is hit by a melee attack.
Effect: As an Immediate Reaction, Wrath may make a melee basic attack.
Tide of Rage ♦ Recharge  
Trigger: Wrath has no remaining actions.
Effect: Wrath may spend a healing surge and gain no hit points. In exchange, Wrath gains a standard action.
Skills Athlete +22, Endurance +19

Str 24 (+17)Dex 22 (+16)Wis 14 (+12)
Con 15 (+12)Int 13 (+11)Cha 12 (+11)

Alignment Evil Languages Common, Giant
Equipment "Payne", "Pleasure", Darkhide Armor, Shadowguard Ring
He's looking a lot more like a monster now.

The Fortitude is still very high - a well-optimised L21 PC will be attacking this at +26 (Stat +8, 1/2 Level +10, Magic Item +5, Expertise +3), needing a 15 to hit. Highest Fort I can see in Adventure tools for L21 monster is 36 (Betrayer Wight and Elder Deathmask Dragon).

He's also still got rather a lot going on. I would personally drop:

*  Combat Challenge (he does nothing extra to marked enemies, is designed to move around a lot, and he counter-strikes when he himself is attacked, so the marks aren't much of a deterrent).
   * Second Wind (he already has plenty of hitpoints plus regen)
   * Half-Orc resilience. He regenerates. That's pretty resilient, those 15 THP look like a drop in the ocean in comparison.

I might also consider:

* Increasing power of Furious Assault. Make it a simple +8 for example, something that the PCs will notice. I'd also let it recharge when he was bloodied.
  * Making the use of "Pleasure" and "Payne" less all-or-nothing. If he is Dazed or Stunned, then he will in effect power down, losing two extra Minor attacks per round, and access to a couple of his best powers - unless that is your intent? If not, I would go for letting him use "Pleasure" when he is not bloodied, and "Payne" once he is, then loosening the requirements on Evisceration and Tode of Rage to having just one of the weapons active.

I'm not sure how you intend the mechanics for Tide of Rage to work? At the very least you need to be clear how many surges Wrath has (I cannot remember what the rules are for monsters, I guess he has just one or two).
Edited redesign as appropriate.

Combat Challenge allows a basic melee attack when an opponent shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include him. I think it adds to the dervish like nature of wrath.

Second Wind is something that I don't think is too much, the death knight, lich, mummy and vampire entries all have second wind in MM1, therefore I don't think it is too much for a major villain.

I do agree that half-orc resilience is lacking when you have regen, so I think I may ditch that.

As for payne and pleasure, they are intended to simulate dancing weapons from PHB1. Wrath may use them as he sees fit, and he is likely to use evisceration as soon as both blades are up. and if he is in danger of losing them, he can use Tide of Rage for extra actions to keep them active.

speaking of tide of rage, it's intent is to allow wrath to burn his energy supplies to deal more damage. an Epic Tier monster has 3 healing surges (one per tier)

As for the fortitude, I think you are right and I should drop it by 4 (the amount I raised it by for savage berserker)
Intended tactics

Round 1:
Minor: Incredible Stride
Standard: Frenzied Crosscut
Move -> Minor: Payne & Pleasure
Trigger: Tide of Rage
Standard: Eviscerate

Total potential damage in round 1: 14d6+49

Round 2
Minor: Sustain Payne & Pleasure
Standard: Raging Whirlwind
Move: Fury Step

he burns out quickly after round one, and need to wait for recharges.
almost tempted to increase recharge rate on Frenzied Crosscut, or make it an at-will.
I haven't read the whole thread, but for those who want help in their calculations when making monsters you can download my excel file that generates all the numbers for a single mobs. It's in my description :D

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Sign In to post comments