Silent Tool uses

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
(I searched the forum and found nothing indicating this has already been asked, so here goes)

While "shopping" for some utility items for my rogue in preparation for our next session, I noticed for the first the magic item silent tool from AV:When used to do the work it was designed for, a silent tool grants the user a +5 power bonus to Stealth checks made while using the tool. Any individual mundane tool—a woodcutter’s axe, a crowbar, a grappling hook, a hammer, a shovel, and so on—can be made silent. For example, a silent crowbar could aid attempts to open a locked door without alerting the sleeping monster on the other side, while a silent grappling hook has less chance of being heard by nearby guards. This property can be applied only to mundane tools. It cannot be placed on weapons, clothing, jewelry, or other mundane objects.
This 520 gp item sounds excellent! Unfortunately, my limited imagination thought of the tools they already mentioned (especially the crowbar) and that's about it. The only other one that came to mind that isn't a variation on what they listed in the description is a set of silent oars that let you row a boat with much less noise than normal. Would you allow this in your game?

Anyway, I turn to the collective creativity of the Boards to come up with more silent tool variations. What can you think of? I'll start with the listed items and then my own thought:

1. Axe: chop down a door or shatter restraints raising much less of an alarm.

2. Crowbar: jimmy the lock far more quietly

3. Grappling hook: Get second-story access without that nasty clanging sound on impact.

4. Hammer: Same as an axe.

5. Shovel: Grave robbing made quieter?

6. Oars: Row row row your boat gently and quietly to the shore.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Well in the new Emporium item book they have some new mundane items(some of which are nifty like gambler cheats and gambling items).  They have a Block, Tackle, and Wench item to basically increase lift/pull/drag capabilities.  That being silent could be helpful for similar reasons as the grappling hook.  Same goes for the Dagger Boots in the book.  Though maybe those wouldn't be considered but they're boots that have blades that can poke out of them to help you climb, so they seem like a tool.  Oh, there's the glass cutter.  Obviously making it quiet while cutting the glass to break into a house or something.  And then the Iron Spikes which can be used to jam doors shut making it harder to open.  Though the item itself says they're noisy to use and any creature w/in 20 sq can make a Perception check with a +5 bonus so it would cancel the +5 they get naturally because of the items, even the odds.

That's really all I can think of, but yeah silent tool can be very nice. 

Hmm... I wonder if a silent knife would help at all when cutting purses...
A silenced saw probably wouldn't see particularly much use in an adventure...
Does a 10-ft pole count as a tool? Or a ladder?

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

They have a Block, Tackle, and Wench item

Interesting image, but are you sure that wasn't a Winch?

Tongue Out

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
They have a Block, Tackle, and Wench item

Interesting image, but are you sure that wasn't a Winch?

Tongue Out

haha!  Yeah, meant Winch didn't notice the typo, but haha!  That'd bea funny item.  Though disturbing thought to make the Wench "silent"....creepy...
Though disturbing thought to make the Wench "silent"....creepy...

I was under the impression that many people consider this to be a good thing, not a bad one.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Some people prefer 'em screaming.

Also if you really want to mess with the guys whose fort you're infiltrating, replace all the alarm bells with new, silent versions. It only takes like an hour to cast the ritual on the existing bell, or you can bring a bunch of silent hammers to replace the normal ones they beat the gong with.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I really really really like Pluisjen's bell alarm idea!!! I could see a charisma rogue posing as a repairman to "change out the obsolete alarm bells" in a building in preparation for a break-in.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Hey, Guys. I have a random question about silent tool. I read over its description several times, and it still confuses me a bit. My issue is...what qualifies as a mundane TOOL? The term "tool" is rather vague to me, and I'm unaware of any list that specifies EXACTLY what qualifies as one. The text gives a few examples of "tools"--a crowbar, grappling hook, etc. When I look up those examples in the compendium, it tells me that they all fall under the category "gear," and don't mention anything with the word "tool" except OCCASSIONALLY in the description of certain items. Does this mean that any mundane gear item would qualify as a tool? I'm asking specifically because of the mundane "gear" item Footpads. The property of footpads is as follows: While wearing these felt soles over your normal footwear, you gain a +1 bonus to Stealth checks to move quietly. 

If it works the way I'm thinking,  the wearer of the Footpads would effectly get +6 to stealth checks to move quietly (+1 from Footpads, +5 from Silent Tool), being that Silent Tool specifies the bonus is applied to the item "when used to do the work it was designed for": moving more quietly.

Can someone PLEASE clear this up for me??? Thanks a bunch!!!! 
Sign In to post comments