Rule-of-Three (2011 October 24)

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rule-of-Three (2011 October 24)
by Rich Baker

Each week, our Community Manager scours all available sources to find whatever questions you’re asking.

Talk about this news here.

Well, that settles the pixie issues... (finally)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Yeah, 'bout damn time' sums it up nicely.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Bladelings are finally going to get some support. That's quite nice. I just hope they also get some better art that doesn't make them just look like thorny demons.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
Pixie flight clarification (and the AL rules in general) is much appreciated (and a more potent interpretation than I actually expected).

I'm under the distinct impression that they do not have (nor want) an article for goblins (bugbears, hobgoblins, goblins), given that the refusal of my pitch for those was "We have a print product slated for next year that covers those."  I'm curious if that's still the case (and still disappointed that it's taken so long to get there).

I completely understand why they wouldn't want to mix the brands there - but at the same time, I'm kind of disappointed that they wouldn't use a M:tG plane as a D&D setting.  Also: Mother-loving-slivers; you own the IP rights - use them in D&D.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
There was a goddamn Warcraft and Diablo D&D rulebook, a M:tG setting wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

M:tG's also got fantastic artwork, I'd love to own a book with just the card art blown up in size.

There was a goddamn Warcraft and Diablo D&D rulebook, a M:tG setting wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

M:tG's also got fantastic artwork, I'd love to own a book with just the card art blown up in size.

The warcraft one wasnt WoTC, it was a third party product using the OGL, same for Diablo probably.

The warcraft one wasnt WoTC, it was a third party product using the OGL, same for Diablo probably.

The Diablo one was published by WotC under license from Blizzard at the beginning of 3e.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)

Okay, but which MTG setting?

They've already got Zendikar, which was pretty much a D&D themed Magic set. Come to think of it, Zendikar seems like the perfect plane for a D&D campaign. Awesome flavor that didn't quite get translated to the cards as well as it could have been, plus it has the built in race against the clock to stop the lovecraftian level 30 solos from waking up.

Or the Weatherlight Saga seems like it could be adapted to a 1-30 epic campaign thingy just replacing the members of the crew with the PCs. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

They've already got Zendikar, which was pretty much a D&D themed Magic set. come to think of it, Zendikar seems like the perfect plane for a D&D campaign. Awesome flavor that didn't quite get translated to the cards as well as it could have been, plus it has the built in race against the clock to stop the lovecraftian level 30 solos from waking up.

Seconded.

Ravnica would be pretty cool, too, and Kamigawa for the fans of that sorta thing.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I can't really comment on the M:tG setting thing.
I haven't played M:tG since Ice Age. Hopefully it improved since then.
I only really started paying attention during the siege of mirrodin block, which seems pretty awesome, even if the bad guys did win in the end.
I can't really comment on the M:tG setting thing.
I haven't played M:tG since Ice Age. Hopefully it improved since then.

I played in those days; I liked this expension thematicaly.

I'm a québecois, and 'my country is not a country, it's winter', sang Gilles Vigneault. ;) 
1.  Yes, Virginia, there is an Altitude 0.  (I thought this was more or less settled, but it's nice to know, officially).

2.  If you don't have any cool new products to tell us about, how 'bout some cool new Dragon articles? Undecided

3.  This one's interesting.  It /says/ "No, we're not going to mix M:tG and D&D."  But, y'know, there's what you say, and there's what you do.  And, we do have collectible Fortune Cards for D&D, and collectible cards for "'D&D' Gamma World."

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

1.  Yes, Virginia, there is an Altitude 0.  (I thought this was more or less settled, but it's nice to know, officially).

2.  If you don't have any cool new products to tell us about, how 'bout some cool new Dragon articles?

3.  This one's interesting.  It /says/ "No, we're not going to mix M:tG and D&D."  But, y'know, there's what you say, and there's what you do.  And, we do have collectible Fortune Cards for D&D, and collectible cards for "'D&D' Gamma World."

They are cards.  I hardly see how they are collectible.  Random, maybe, but hardly "collectible".  Also, wholly optional.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

2.  If you don't have any cool new products to tell us about, how 'bout some cool new Dragon articles?

They are cards.  I hardly see how they are collectible.  Random, maybe, but hardly "collectible". 

They're sold in blind/random booster backs.  Common, uncommon, & rare.  That doesn't sound familiar?

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

They are cards.  I hardly see how they are collectible.  Random, maybe, but hardly "collectible". 

They're sold in blind/random booster backs.  Common, uncommon, & rare.  That doesn't sound familiar?

Yes, it sounds like a random distribution scheme.  There are also common, uncommon and rare baseball cards. And for some people they are collectable; other people just like the random cards and gum.  

So I guess what I' saying is they need to start packing gum in with their cards. ;)
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Wrong example. You should've used D&D Miniatures ;)

Also, I'd dig a Magic Roleplaying game. The flavor for that game is totally awesome and I bet groups of plainswalkers duking it out with titanic enemies could be really awesome. I'd probably not look all that much like D&D, but it'd be a cool RPG.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

Yes, it sounds like a random distribution scheme.  There are also common, uncommon and rare baseball cards. And for some people they are collectable; other people just like the random cards and gum.  

So, M:tG isn't 'collectible' either?

1: Clarification, thank goodness.  This is one of the more useful and better Ro3 answers in recent weeks.

2: Yay - support ofr under-used races is great, but unlike some (the Thri-Kreen article I'm eagerly awaiting, for instance), Bladelings never really inspired me.

3: I could not care less about M:tG, and the fewer CCG elements in D&D the better.  A crossover is not something I'd like to see.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So, M:tG isn't 'collectible' either?

Anything can be collectible.  In Magic's case, the collectible is only insomuch as a player feels the need for a certain set or specific card.  I.E. the collectible is always a component, because cards are required for play, the collectible is within the name of the game type, CCG.  However, the cards in and of themselves required to play only number a deck, which can be bought in whole.  So after you have "collected" a deck, any other cards are merly a situation of how to keep up with the Joneses.  So definitly collectable, but only to the greater or lesser extent of the individual player.

Meanwhile, fortune cards are not required to play, and the deck of GW cards comes with the game, the extras are extremely optional.  Still collectible to those who feel the need to collect them, but not intrinsicly collectible because the only reason to collect them is to have them (much like baseball cards). 

Then again, if fortune cards and GW cards are considered collectables, then so are stamps, action figures, antiques, books, etc.  Anything can be collectable. Very few things really truly have meaning when collected though, so the collectable property of anytinh is really up for debate.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
Oookay, so you've got a hair to split with the word 'collectible.' 

Anyhow, you've got 3 M:tG-style booster sets on sale for 'D&D.'  But they're not mixing D&D with M:tG.  

Oookay, so you've got a hair to split.

Much better.

Anyhow, you've got 3 M:tG-style booster sets on sale for 'D&D.'

I have seen the cards, seen the "boosters", and from my point of view, the only thing that would make them like M:tG is if they were a total requirement for play.  Otherwise, the only similarity is the foil used to wrap them.

But they're not mixing D&D with M:tG.

I totally agree with this.  Though I know you meant it in jest.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
I have seen the cards, seen the "boosters", and from my point of view, the only thing that would make them like M:tG is if they were a total requirement for play.  Otherwise, the only similarity is the foil used to wrap them.

And the blind/random distribution model.  And rarity.  And custom deck-building for an in-game advantage.  

So, let me get this straight:  WotC introduces 3 sets of cards for use in 'D&D,' rates them common/uncommon/rare, just like M:tG, sells them in blind/random foil booster packs, just like M:tG, gives rules to build custom decks, just like M:tG, people compile card lists of them to aid in collecting complete sets, just like M:tG, BUT, because

1) Someone, somewhere might not want to /collect/ them.

and

2) They're called 'optional.'

they in no way resemble M:tG.

Did I get that right?

And the blind/random distribution model.  And rarity.  And custom deck-building for an in-game advantage.  

So, let me get this straight:  WotC introduces 3 sets of cards for use in 'D&D,' rates them common/uncommon/rare, just like M:tG, sells them in blind/random foil booster packs, just like M:tG, gives rules to build custom decks, just like M:tG, people compile card lists of them to aid in collecting complete sets, just like M:tG, BUT, because

1) Someone, somewhere might not want to /collect/ them.

and

2) They're called 'optional.'

they in no way resemble M:tG.

Did I get that right?

I didn't say they didn't have resemblances to, I said they were not exact, and thus they are not crossing M:tG with D&D.

Hell, the D&D minis game had more in common with M:tG, and I still would call them two different animals.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
Rule of 3 haiku time!

1 Pixies confuse me!
Longwinded explanations --
Thanks for diagram!

2 More racial support!
We need Dragon submissions...
Bladelings are coming.

3 Plans to crossover
D&D and MtG?
Thoughts?  Sure.  Plans?  Never.

Rule of 3 haiku time!

Pixies confuse me!
Longwinded explanations --
Thanks for diagram!

More racial support!
We need Dragon submissions...
Bladelings are coming.

Plans to crossover
D&D and MtG?
Thoughts?  Sure.  Plans?  Never.

<3

fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

We roll dice in D&D. I'm still not accusing WotC of crossing Yahtzee into D&D.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I actually tried submitted a bladeling article a few weeks ago (a sort of 'bladelings of the astral plane' thing), and was told that bladelings weren't popular enough to justify writing an article for, unless it really kicked ass. I'm curious to see what made it. I'm hoping they change their attribute set-up from Dex/Wis to Dex/Wis or Str, so they can actually take some martial classes.
I'm hoping they change [the bladeling] attribute set-up from Dex/Wis to Dex/Wis or Str, so they can actually take some martial classes.

I'd rather they make it Wis/Dex or Str. Keep Wisdom as primary, and let Dexterity or Strength be secondary so that they have the full range of martial classes with a decent Will-based build option. Let them be wise, and focus on either smash or finesse in their fighting style.  (It becomes almost the same thing, though.)
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
re fortune cards, 

Wasn't the whole point of the newer delves/enconters that they were going to be harder so you needed the cards in order to survive?  Something where you bought 2 booster packs and ripped them open and those were your cards for the game. 

@Kalnaur, I understand where your going with the collectible thing - however the fortune cards were designed to be collectible by adding the rarity and random distribution.  Stamps were designed to be collectible (at first) until they started doing "limited editions" of artwork or Elvis photos, which is the other key thing to making something collectible.

Had the fortune cards come out as a boxed set (similar to the Shadowfell despair cards) they would be as collectible as any other D&D product, but they would not have been designed to be collectible.  

That said, I don't see it as a cross over from MTG to D&D, it was a marketing goal that influenced product design.   

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
I'm hoping they change [the bladeling] attribute set-up from Dex/Wis to Dex/Wis or Str, so they can actually take some martial classes.

I'd rather they make it Wis/Dex or Str. Keep Wisdom as primary, and let Dexterity or Strength be secondary so that they have the full range of martial classes with a decent Will-based build option. Let them be wise, and focus on either smash or finesse in their fighting style.  (It becomes almost the same thing, though.)

That would work, too. Str/Wis gives you most fighter classes, melee rangers, and some clerics. I like Str/Dex though because it gives you tempest fighter (a Bladeling with 2 swords seems natural to me), Brutal Scoundrel Rogue, and Mountain Fist Monk.

My real reason, though, is competition. The only Str/Dex races are Bugbear and Half-Orc, while there are several Str/Wis options, like Dwarf. Str/Dex would give the Bladeling it's own space.

It will be good to see Bladelings get something. They are very much the 'People as Machine'. The god of war decided to create an army, and what did he create? Undead creatures that feel no pain? Wargorged Golems? Elemental spirits made of fire? No. The ultimate killing machine was a human being, capable of anything another human being is...except maybe touching each other. It probably made sense to the god of war: what's war without pain and bloodshed? Just destruction. Maybe he saw bladelings as humanity perfected. Who knows.

And then they escaped their war, and are trying to fit into the rest of the world, like a soldier coming home from a war. Except they're not built for peace. They are a great mechanism for telling stories about how war changes people, about post-traumatic stress disorder, and about how we turn people into machines in the modern world. They're not humanoid monsters, they're monstrous humans who have had things done to them. I think bladelings are awesome, compared to the many 'humanoid with features of animal X' creatures we see in a lot of the monster manuals.
Adding collectibility to D&D products is a marketting technique, not a fluff crossover which is what would be interesting regarding getting M:tG into D&D or vice versa.

A setting book for D&D based on M:tG could have some interesting potential, as could a M:tG block based on a D&D setting. It could even be interesting (and perhaps more practical?) to do a brand new setting designed from the beginning to be launched simultaneously in both games.

Of course, I their reluctance is not unfounded. D&D doesn't have a good way of reflecting the 'colors' that make up the core of the M:tG metaphysics, and Magic fans might complain about such being absent, depending somewhat on the specific setting. You could have madness like a lightning-bolt slinging (sorcerer) merfolk, even though lightning is red and merfolk are blue! ZOMG! I'm not sure what a D&D setting would bring to Magic in terms of inspiring mechanics. A distinct shortage of enchantment removal?

Ha, nice one! Whenever my campaign group get too metagamey and forgets to roleplay I take the yahtzee game down off the shelf and lay it on the table.

"If all you want to do is roll dice and compare numbers, this game is a lot simpler and involves less arguing over the rules."

Before we get any support for monster manual races I'd like to see more support for those other forgotten races: Kalashtar and Changeling. I know they're Eberron specific, but they were released as official playable races... and then forgotten.

Heh, I /use/ Yahtzee dice in D&D (and Champions!).  Is Yahtzee a Hasbro property?

On reflection, though, I think (3) was more about mixing setting fluff than making M:tG mechanically more like D&D (will likely never happen) or D&D mechanically more like M:tG (has already happened).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee

"Yahtzee is a dice game made by Milton Bradley (now owned by Hasbro), which was first marketed by game entrepreneur Edwin S. Lowe in 1956."

Better be careful with them 5d6 damage rolls, people.  You never know what could happen.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Yeah, 'bout damn time' sums it up nicely.

Yeah. How dare they take so long to settle the argument...weeks before the book is released. WTF?

/sarcasm.
Maybe because it's actually an unclear piece of rules that's been about since the altitude limit rules were written - it's just been brought to the fore by the Pixie preview.  Clarification of unclear rules is useful, and the quicker the better.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I wonder if the Bladling write up will be addition support for the one in the Annual or a complete rewrite with added materail (Essentialized)

Whoop... He is in the Planes Manual Book
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Sign In to post comments