Action Points in Gamma World?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tonight we had a player suggest we should be using Action Points in our D&D Gamma World game.  The GM seemed to think at the time it would be inappropriate for Gamma World, given that then we would have to start counting Milestones and things of that nature, and Milestones aren't even something you use and not mentioned at all in the Gamma World rules.

How many of you out there use Action Points/Milestones in your Gamma World game? Do you think it is a bad idea to introduce them to Gamma World and that we would be better off playing the game the way it is in the Gamma World books or vice-versa?
Action points are nice... I think the feel of the game is more geared toward not having them. More the though of trying to keep the game as fast and unpredictable as possible. Getting an extra action is not that bad, but it usually tips the game in the players favor more and thus lower the chance of screwing up and dying. Which I like to believe is a part of Gamma World.

But if you were trying to play a longer term game, and already incorporated all of the 4e rules. Then I would think you have added the Action Point already. (my thought is that a lot probably do this)

That being said we use a slightly different approach... We use combat tokens (poker chips) that when someone rolls a 1, 20, or misses twice in a row, gains a combat token. Either the GM or Players may gain these. One poker chip can be used to turn a hit into a miss, or a miss into a hit. Upon doing so the combat token is then given to the character that it was used against. (this cannot change a fumble or a critical) But if you have 3 combat chips then you could (turn a miss into a critical, or change a critical into a miss). The players may pool the chips they own, as the GM gets to pool the chips the monsters own. All chips are void after the encounter and are returned.

Why - well it speeds up the final rounds of combat, since there can be a lot of chips out. (in a boss fight if it dragging on the chips help out a lot). It also adds a bit more control of the fight for players and the GM. Not to mention as a player, it sucks sitting there missing over and over again.

We do not allow the chips to change the result of the Overpower Rolls... just the combat.

That being said we use a slightly different approach... We use combat tokens (poker chips) that when someone rolls a 1, 20, or misses twice in a row, gains a combat token. Either the GM or Players may gain these. One poker chip can be used to turn a hit into a miss, or a miss into a hit. Upon doing so the combat token is then given to the character that it was used against. (this cannot change a fumble or a critical) But if you have 3 combat chips then you could (turn a miss into a critical, or change a critical into a miss). The players may pool the chips they own, as the GM gets to pool the chips the monsters own. All chips are void after the encounter and are returned.

I like this idea a lot.  My players in my D&D campaign often complain that a bad string of misses can completely ruin the fun of an encounter for them, and I cannot say that I disagree.  I think the next time we sit down to play I'm going to suggest this as an option and see what they think.
That's an awesome idea with the chips, I'm stealing that.