Need help with a dungeon-Underdark river port

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
  I'm building a dungeon for some upcoming encounters in the Underdark. The party is pursuing a raiding party who have taken slaves from the surface. The party must catch up to the raiders before they reach the river port or the slaves are lost.

I'd like some ideas about how the drow would design such an outpost. It's not a port city, just a dock and some buildings for storage,living quarters,etc. The river flows toward the nearest drow city, so this would be a stand alone encounter for the party.The city is too far away to send help if they became aware of the party's presence.

The boat or ship would be tied to the dock and the slaves would have to be taken aboard, so there's time for the party to act.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
A Drow Outpost would most likely still include some sort of fortifications. Read R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books 1&2 if you want more inspiration.
I am Blue/Black "The Red Dragon is pulverizing your friends..." -Me "Okay so I'm up here?" -Shrui "Yeah..." -Me "Okay I want to triple backflip down from the ceiling while holding my family's katana and drive it through the Dragon's head." -Shrui "Yeah you'll take a -15 because he's moving his head." -Me "Don't care, I try it anyway." -Shrui (Acrobatics Roll Succeeds) (Attack Roll Succeeds) "How much extra damage do I get for this attack?" -Shrui "It dies, you don't need to do an attack roll." -Me Evil Dungeon Master says, And now young adventurer... you die.
Neverwinter Nights's last of the original three campaigns featured a small town who had a river or lake in the Underdark... You use it to go to an island...
I remember that, it was... just after you finish the dungeon portion and find... Halastar?
I am Blue/Black "The Red Dragon is pulverizing your friends..." -Me "Okay so I'm up here?" -Shrui "Yeah..." -Me "Okay I want to triple backflip down from the ceiling while holding my family's katana and drive it through the Dragon's head." -Shrui "Yeah you'll take a -15 because he's moving his head." -Me "Don't care, I try it anyway." -Shrui (Acrobatics Roll Succeeds) (Attack Roll Succeeds) "How much extra damage do I get for this attack?" -Shrui "It dies, you don't need to do an attack roll." -Me Evil Dungeon Master says, And now young adventurer... you die.
Canals ala' real world Venice, Italy?

The water is negated by Drow levitation (unless that has disappeared with 4E), but serves a decent passive defense against many Underdark threats.

Canals also allow for stealth options, provided sentries don't notice the wet footprints.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I remember that, it was... just after you finish the dungeon portion and find... Halastar?

Under Waterdeep, there is indeed that Undermountain crazy dungeon, and in this game, we find it even goes deeper, the Underdark...
if you can get a hold of the 3.5ed campaign book called "expedition to the undermountain"  its a redish brown book.   in the undermountain, there's a drow settlement town by a river bank! it would be perfect for you to get some ideas off of. 
  I'll look for that. I've read the Dark Elf trilogy and plan to use the deep gnome village as a rest stop. I see the port as more of an outpost. It's a transit station to send slaves on to the nearby drow city.