Does anyone remember the days....

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
When playable races had stats other than +2 Dex, +2 Cha? I'm going to throw this out there: +2 Dex +2 Cha characters make great vampires, which will see no love any time soon. So....why out of the various races that have been released in the past 8 months or so, a fair amount have +2 dex and cha? Revenant, Pixie, Satyr, Shade, Vryloka, Hengeyokai....am i forgetting any?

I'm just saying.

Also....anyone else ever notice that most races from another plane of existence or with a tie to another plane have +2 int as a possible stat? Yet, only a small handful of races from the material plane have that (Humans get a choice and warforged can be made intelligent) as a possibility? It's almost like there's a conspiracy to inform us that if it's not from around here, their brains are better.
And your point is ... ?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
For instances of that last part, Eladrin, Gnome, Pixie (feywild), Tieflings (part devil (Hell)), Shadar Kai, Shade (Shadowfell), Genasai (Elemental Chaos), Githyanki, Githzerai, Shardmind (Astral Sea). Notable Exceptions: Bladelings, Satyrs.
Just some things I've noticed. I'm not angry or complaining.
According to the online Compendium, there are 39 races (plus six sub-races). Humans only get a plus to one stat, so let's ignore them.

There are 15 possible combinations of two stats to get bonuses to (6 for the first stat, times 5 for the second stat, divided by 2 because we don't care which of the two chosen is "first"), and many of the remaining 38 races fit in two of those combinations. There are a total of 64 race-and-two-stat-bonuses combinations.

Currently there are six races out of the remaining 38 that get Dex/Cha as an option. There are also six that get Dex/Con, six that get Dex/Int, seven that get Int/Cha, and nine that get Str/Con.

The Feywild book will add the Pixie as another Dex/Cha race. But isn't there another race or two in there?

Here are the UNDER developed combos:

Con/Int - 1 race
Str/Int - 2
Str/Cha - 2
Str/Dex - 3
Str/Wis - 3
Int/Wis - 3
Wis/Cha - 3

The last of these probably deserves to be underdeveloped since the two stats boost the same NAD. Which is also true of Dex/Int (overdeveloped) and Str/Con (hugely overdeveloped).
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

You have Con/Int and Str/Int switched, I'm afraid.  There are two Con/Int races (Genasi, Warforged) and one Str/Int race (Genasi again).  Although it's funny, when the article that gave the pre-PHB 3 races an optional stat mod came out, I remember complaining about all the darned Dex/Wis races!

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
So....why out of the various races that have been released in the past 8 months or so, a fair amount have +2 dex and cha? Revenant, Pixie, Satyr, Shade, Vryloka, Hengeyokai....am i forgetting any?

DEX/CHA races make good Rogues, which are the 4e analogue to the old Theif.  In AD&D, virtually every race had a 'U' under thief (unlimitted level advancement).   So, they're just evoking the classic feel of the game by making non-humans good theives. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Sign In to post comments