10/21/2011 TWTW: "Rising Star from Down Under"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

More proof of what I said two weeks ago: the lack of competitive events outside the US severely hampers the ability of Asian, Australian and European players to easily burst onto the scenes of competitive Magic.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
More proof of what I said two weeks ago: the lack of competitive events outside the US severely hampers the ability of Asian, Australian and European players to easily burst onto the scenes of competitive Magic.

Yes, this is why you never see successful French or Japanese players.

Yes, this is why you never see successful French or Japanese players.

It also shows very nicely how the system works: once you're in, the cumulative gains (especially having your tickets paid for, which is certainly a nice move) are very useful and help these players get to the top. However, Wizards would do better to have more low-level tournaments in the aforementioned places.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
It's always just seemed to me that Wizards does the number of events in Place X that Place X and its player base can support. The US gets more love because it has a massive amount of Magic players. Don't you think they'd gladly host more events if their research made it look like a viable option?