[CoN] Excited new player with a few questions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
First of all, I LOVED the game! I played it only once with friends and had been studying it a bit alone, but so far, so good.

Me and my friends were left just with one doubt seemingly not covered by the rules: what if the heroes and the dungeon guardians kill each other in their last round of combat? Do I leave the same monster(s) but visible? Do I change it, adding only one new guardian instead of two? Do I put two?
Plus, I was pretty sure about the working of Victory Points but my friends weren't... Is it true that you never actually lose VPs? And that you gain them again and again for a same conquered territory if you conquer it many times?

And a final more general question, how balanced did you finf out the nations were? I think that in general, the evil ones are stronger in short games, while the good ones are better in long games.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

We play that yes, the Guardian stays (and "heals") face up.

RE: VP, as I understand it, yes VP never reduce and re-taking the same territory can add VPs. Your opponent is "losing" VP because he is taking back home territories (No VP gained for the effort)

Balance wise I think that Nerath is outmatched in the short game, but has "legs" in the Long game

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Me and my friends were left just with one doubt seemingly not covered by the rules: what if the heroes and the dungeon guardians kill each other in their last round of combat? Do I leave the same monster(s) but visible? Do I change it, adding only one new guardian instead of two? Do I put two?

This was clarified by Peter Lee himself over on BGG: www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7099361#70...

Basically, it comes down to:

"Everything in the dungeon (heroes and monsters) dies, no immediate treasure is gained, the dungeon remains empty, the next hero to enter gets the treasure for free."

Hope it helps.

It seems the creator chose the ruling that makes less sense, cosnidering the other rules... I mean, if a dungeon attratcs more monsters when the guardians are defeated and the treasure is taken, why should it remain empty when the treasure is still there? Well, maybe not seeing anyone coming back, the monsters wrongly assume that the dungeon is still ocupied. Could make sense. From the game's POV however, it remains to be seen which option is more valid!

Do you know if somebody came up with scenarios, new/alternative rules or something like that?

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)