Mycosynth Lattice, Commander Rule 903.9 and a Controlled Creature's ability cost not in my profile.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's assume I have a Mycosynth Lattice in play and in some manner I gain control of a creature that has an ability not in my commander's colour profile.

Using conventional means I cannot pay this cost since I cannot generate any coloured mana in my mana pool that isn't a colour in my commander's colour profile by 903.9. 

The Lattice doesn't say add any colour to my mana pool, it reads as a replacement effect and says that I can **spend** mana **as though** it were of any colour. 

I interpret this to mean that if I had a red mana in my colour profile but not black, I could tap a mountain to pay B on a creature's activated ability since I am adding R to my mana pool but spending it **as though** it were B.

Does this argument satisfy 903.9's requirements but still allow the ability to be paid? 
Yes, you can use Mycosynth Lattice to pay colored costs not in your commander's color identity.

903.9 only cares about what color mana gets added to your pool, not what color you spend it as. 
All Generalizations are Bad
Correct. You can spend the red mana (which you can make) as though it was black mana (which you can't make) and activate an ability requiring black mana as a payment.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Sign In to post comments