10/20/2011 TD: "Brains! Brains! (and Brisbane)"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

so in the spirit of undead week, is solar flare "dead" now? seems like it had a very short lifespan
so in the spirit of undead week, is solar flare "dead" now? seems like it had a very short lifespan

Solar flare, RDW, tempered steel and Pod are all missing, yes. I don't think any of them is dead, but i have a feeling that Solar Flare needs a little extra to become good.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Tadaaa! Finally a draw-go permission deck type in a format again! Oh how many years I waited for this moment. Prepare for noobs hysterical whining about how counterspelling, creature removal and instant card draw is op
I really think this season is going to be veeery interesting.

I love Magic
Tadaaa! Finally a draw-go permission deck type in a format again! Oh how many years I waited for this moment. Prepare for noobs hysterical whining about how counterspelling, creature removal and instant card draw is op
I really think this season is going to be veeery interesting.

I love Magic

Meaning the next batch of counterspells will be powered down even more.
I don't think an archetype can be pronounced 'dead' just because it didn't make top 8 in a particular tournament. More likely this is the back-swing of Sondag's performance at the SCGOpen, where Wolf Run was so effective precisely because no one was prepared for it. Everyone wants to play a deck that no one prepares for, which results in everyone both playing it and preparing for it.

I think theis999 is right in that Solar Flare is missing something, some kind of more reliable early defense or better W/B mana fixing? Who knows...
biggest beef I had with the flare (and reason for switching to straight UB control) - mana base. Not only 3 colors means less stability, but try running a ghost quarter to deal with nexus/wolf run - a real pita.

Technically - flare has all the tools of UB, and then some - oblivion ring, timely reinforcements, sun titan, day of judgment and unburial rites, as well as the possibility of running geist in the SB.

In practice, the mana stability is worth dropping a color, and packing a full suite of counterspells and removal leaves little room for extras.

Basically - if you are going to play draw-go permission, play UB, or UWb (there's a list on the channelfireball site)

If you decide to go lighter on the permission aspect and play high impact finishers - go flare, TR, DoJ, and rites makes it worth the trouble.

And yea - flare is going to need some tweaking - simply to find a niche for itself, instead of competing over one with UB, which is the superior permission deck.
RDW, Tempered Steel and other swarm decks will stick around if only to punish control decks that start to move cards for control mirrors into the maindeck from the sideboard. RDW can (obviously) just win with burn, and Tempered Steel has enough fliers to go over the top of Wolf Run Ramp's blockers.

Besides, the exact "defensive curve" that Flores outlined with Wring Flesh into Mana Leak into Snapcaster...has a whopping 3.5% chance of showing up in that deck's opening hand. There's a reason why a full third of the sideboard is just generic aggro hate.

Solar Flare might be replaced for now by UB and UW decks with better mana and permission, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up again as future sets are likely to help its cause.