Red Deck Wins.. thoughts from experienced players please (:

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have done a lot of research on the deck and have gotten most of the cards to build a really great example of it.

Just haven't gotten to play it yet.

Id really like to hear from some people that have knowledge and have played it on how it should play out, different common scenarios you run into and how you handle them, and just a basic help in understanding the different components to it.
I know its pretty straight forward, but I'd like to know things like.. should you start burning your opponent early, should you use your burn for removal and allowing creatures to do most damage, anything else you think would be helpful to someone trying to learn that hasn't played in tournaments yet etc.

Yes I'm a noobie, but I'm a quick learner and very appreciative of any help you can offer.

Also which build do you consider best and why? Any tweaks you would make to it and what nontraditional changes do you think would help?

Also, one last noob question... When people say meta what is it they are talking about? ><

Thank you
You should probably ask this and post your deck in the RDW thread in the Tier 1 forums (2 below this one).

As to Meta, meta is the play environment.  For example, a meta might consist of lots of netdecks or mostly rogue ones.  It might be more casual or more hardcore.  It might be heavy on the control decks or see lots of aggro. 

Since what you play against will impact how your deck performs, it is important to keep your meta in mind when making card choices, especially for the sideboard.
A shorter answer. When players refer to a meta (metagame) they are referring to either:

The collection of decks played at top level standard events

or the collection of decks played in their area (And the two are not always the same) 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
i'm not really a red expert, but i know that at the end of the day, its definitely a numbers game.  every point of life counts, and you always try to maximize efficiency in every play you make, which means you need to have probably at least a few turns mapped out in advance.  burning your opponents creatures happens usually early on to remove blockers for your dudes.  you're always trying to have a clear board in the early and mid game if possible and push through as much damage as possible.  the burning your opponent portion happens after than start establishing a board presence and/or you're trying to just push through the last remaining points.  however, if it makes sense depending on the matchup or game state, you may just decide to start flinging burn at their face to keep "tempo".  a lot of this will be gained through experience and practice.  i'm sure more experienced red players have more to say on the matter though, as i haven't played mono red seriously in a few years.

meta refers to, in short, what other people in your area are playing (metagame).  (are people playing a lot of control, aggro, combo, blue decks, swarm aggro, etc.?)

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

play good cards etc
To be precise, 'metagame' refers to the choosing of a deck and sideboard to take advantage of the local environment. That is, playing the 'game' is playing an actual match of MtG. Playing the metagame is taking preparations based on how you know other people will be playing to give yourself an advantage; this is also used in verb form, that is "to metagame" or "metagaming".

Since the most common part of metagaming is looking at the local environment (i.e. what decks everyone else is playing), the term as since become synonymous with the environment itself, so people will refer to their 'local metagame', meaning the set of decks that people use where that person plays. 

To be really precise "Metagame" is both a Noun and a Verb.

THE Metagame is the collection of decks that represent the field, the overall metagame and the local one, often the are very different. For example, Legacy in mainland europe has more Maverick than anywhere else but a sizable portion.

TO Metagame, the act of metagaming is as Mr Indigo described above. I can metagame a deck, in other words design a deck to beat the collection of decks described as above.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Against many of the topdecks in the format. You are either going to win early, or you are not going to win at all. Which could be said for many RDW's over the ages.

A few of the aggro match-ups can be a little rough but the key to winning against any deck is a good hand that involves Beserker or Shrine. Those two cards will probley win you the most games.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Hmmm well I guess ill have to either scope out the local tournaments or play in a few first to find out what people playing. I went to FNM last week, just to watch and did hear someone say they were playing Solar Flare...
I have seen a decklist for Solar Flare, but not really sure how it works..
Hmmm well I guess ill have to either scope out the local tournaments or play in a few first to find out what people playing. I went to FNM last week, just to watch and did hear someone say they were playing Solar Flare... I have seen a decklist for Solar Flare, but not really sure how it works..

Solar Flare is a control deck that uses a lot of removal in the early game, and then overwhelms in the late game with Titans and Praetors. It has Unburial Rites as a mechanism of grinding out the end game (e.g. Grave Titan + Unburial Rites means you need a minimum of three removal spells to get rid of it, and they net 4 extra tokens when you do so). They also have the ability to 'godhand' by going Turn 3 Forbidden Alchemy (milling a Titan/Praetor and Unburial Rites) and then reanimating Turn 4, or Turn 3 Liliana-discard-Titan/Praetor, Turn 4 discard-Unburial Rites, reanimate.
Against many of the topdecks in the format. You are either going to win early, or you are not going to win at all. Which could be said for many RDW's over the ages.

A few of the aggro match-ups can be a little rough but the key to winning against any deck is a good hand that involves Beserker or Shrine. Those two cards will probley win you the most games.

I actually strongly disagree.

With most non-red aggro decks, that is indeed the case. You win early, or you don't win. With RDW, however, you have access to burn, which affects every stage of the game strongly.

Basically, red doesn't have access to the best creatures - not the best early creatures, not the best midrange creatures and not the best lategame creatures. The access to burn makes an aggressive strategy incredibly powerful, however, which is why red creatures usually *have* to be subpar to give the other decks a chance.

The way the basic game plays out with RDW is that you apply pressure early, then keep it up. You are the one with the initiative, you're the one with momentum. Your opponent will be trying to change this, but if you play the deck right, you're assessing which of your opponents potential plays will actually accomplish that, then making sure that they can't make them.

As an example, I'll show you the basic outline of a solid game between a pre-ban Cawblade list and a RDW. Even when Caw is on the play.

Him: T1 Celestial Collonade
You: T1 Goblin Guide, attack (18)

Him: T2 Stoneforge Mystic, fetching Sword of War and Peace or Batterskull, hoping to overpower his opponent with powerful plays. Or Squadron Hawks, trying to get a hand full of potential blockers and save some life points. Or just a removal spell (likely Dismember or Journey to Nowhere).
You: T2 Searing Blaze (15), attack (13) - or in the case of a removal spell, just playing a 2-drop like Ember Hauler or something (putting him at 18/14 depending on whether it was Dismember).

Either way, you're pushing through with a lot of pressure. You don't need to win by t4 or t6. You just need to lock your opponent out of options. At this point, any time he tries to play a Mystic, Hawk, PW'er or a Sword, he's sacrificing tempo for a long-term engine. By applying enough pressure that any such play will be too risky, you're making sure that he can't really do anything efficiently. Also, if he uses that early removal spell, he's opening himself up to a solid beating from a Dragonlord or a Geopede later, having to spend removal on a 1-drop.

Long story short: You don't really care when you win. If you're trying too hard to win early, you're putting yourself at the risk of 2-for-1's, and even worse, tempo loss when your opponent sweeps your table for a couple of mana. You want to make every one of his options miserable, then burn your way to victory when he has a hard time stopping you.

In some MU's, you obviously have to push harder early - if they have access to tons of Wurmcoil Engines or they can win out of nowhere with a Primeval Titan, you need to take that option away from them by putting them too low on life to risk a big play (fearing something like Act of Aggression or something). This requires you to take the risk of being stopped hard early.

Other than that, you have the initiative. Use it to dominate the game.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
That's a good basic understanding, I appreciate that AlienFinger. I had to look up all the cards you mentioned though, since I just started playing over the past month and a half.. and even then all I have been doing is buying cards and doing research on decks and strategy.

I got the cards to make a solid RDW deck, just trying to figure out the optimal build and sideboard... but since I don't know what everyone else around here is playing really I am not sure what the SB should look like or even if I did, how to use the SB.. ugh
A long long time ago, when red was in it's infancy of being the deck to beat, there was a saying that went around.

"Cut off the head, and the body shall fall."

This should be your motto when playing an aggressive deck.  If you're playing a Red deck with Goblins and burn, consider maximizing your damage in spite of losing your creatures.  I'll provide an old school example.

You have 3 creatures in play.  You have dealt already 5 damage to your opponent.  Your creatures are

Mogg Conscripts
Mogg Flunkies
Mogg Raider

You cast Raging Goblin.  You attack with your 4 creatures

Your opponent blocks your Mogg Raider and Raging Goblin (trying to save their creatures from dieing this turn).

In order to deal the most damage, as fast as you can, you would want to sacrifice your Raging Goblin and Mogg Raider to pump up your other 2 goblins, thus instead of dealing 5 damage, you deal 7. (12 damage so far).  Back then it was very dangerous to be that low.  In this situation, you could have 3 mountains, and 3 cards in your hand.  Those 3 cards could be Fireblast a Mountain and Sonic Burst.  You tap your 2 remaining Mountains for 2 red mana, sacrifice 2 Mountains to cast your Fireblast then use the 2 mana and discard your Mountain to cast Sonic Burst, both to the face.  GG

I miss those days =)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I appreciative all of the insight and opinions, definitely will help.

Which is the best build for a current day RDW?
I have seen a number of variations with creatures and spells.