Above Level 30, Experience table?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this may sound crazy, but I was wondering if anyone has a table for the experince points for levels 31 thru 40?

If not I was think of making 40th levels xp 5 or 10 million and working back from there, does that sound do able?
You can extrapolate them from the monsters. The DMG has the table for the XP value of monsters above 30th level; take the Standard Monster value and multiply it by 10, that's how many XP points you need to earn to go up that level (not the total mind you, the extra XP you need to collect)

For example a level 31 standard monster is 23,000 XP so you need to earn 230,000XP once you hit level 30 to get to 31.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I know this may sound crazy, but I was wondering if anyone has a table for the experince points for levels 31 thru 40?

If not I was think of making 40th levels xp 5 or 10 million and working back from there, does that sound do able?

You could just extrapolate from the existing formula, but why?

Past level 30, you're talking about literal gods as characters, and a whole lot of the L30 content is, uh, broken.  Like, makes the mechanics fall apart - and that's okay, since L30 is your victory lap and your characters are all retiring anyway, so it doesn't *really* matter if you're untouchable because it won't last more than 2 sessions or so.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Here are all the numbers for your leveling pleasure!  (You can find monster XP values for levels 30-40 on page 56 of the DMG.  Numbers are based on the formula of 10 Level + 0 fights giving enough XP for a level.)

Level 30 (baseline): 1,000,000 xp
Level 31: 1,190,000 xp (level 30 monster is 19,000 xp, so 10 would be 190,000).
Level 32: 1,420,000
Level 33: 1,690,000
Level 34: 2,000,000
Level 35: 2,390,000
Level 36: 2,860,000
Level 37: 3,410,000
Level 38: 4,040,000
Level 39: 4,830,000
Level 40: 5,780,000

Note: In looking over the numbers for levels 23-30, I noticed that they no longer follow the formula of 10 standard monsters of your level to get to the next level.  For example, at level 29, a standard monster is worth 15,000; but characters of that level require about 17,000 xp per monster in order to level up after 10 fights.  Make of this what you will.
XP is the easy part.  Without new shiny powers and stuff, whats the point?  Thats the hard part.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

XP is the easy part.  Without new shiny powers and stuff, whats the point?  Thats the hard part.

That's still easy. How about the story? The enemies? Most powerful beigns in the universe are around level 35. What is capable of threatening you and challenging you when you got MORE power than the dude who can just create a new plane of existence to play with with a snap of their fingers when they're bored?

What will be happening in yor campaign when characters have more power than the most powerful beings man is capable of imagining, gods? They'll have so much power they should be doign thigns we can't imagine. So either you'll try, and everything falls to pieces or slips to the next option, where you stay with the "dealing with omnipotent dudes"-thingy and all your extra levels translate to only show that after descending to godhood or similar power, universe is just like that obscure backwater valley. Just instead of a kobold lair you're raiding some pantheon swarming with omnipotent dudes.

You could fight the Beyonder. He needs another butt-whipping. Use post-retcon for level 40 super-epic destiny. Use the pre-retcon version for level 60.

Plus you know you want his epic disco clothes.. 

...For example a level 31 standard monster is 23,000 XP so you need to earn 230,000XP once you hit level 30 to get to 31.

The variable from level does seem to make much sense.
At one point, I have expected a book to look at "Epic play" that went beyond the hard level cap. It was tried in 3.5, and didn't work well.

But with Essentials mostly concentrating on Heroic and little support for Epic Tier, this is not happening within the lifespan of this edition.

I think what would have been in the book is more like a scale and what one would gain at different level marks, using the already existing powers and options from the other books.

For now, though, the assumption is that the character is retired at level 30 (after that last big adventure), as has been posted above.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
At one point, I have expected a book to look at "Epic play" that went beyond the hard level cap. It was tried in 3.5, and didn't work well.

But with Essentials mostly concentrating on Heroic and little support for Epic Tier, this is not happening within the lifespan of this edition.

More, there *really is* nowhere to go from Epic.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Not with the level cap, which is how it was set up. This was not the case in previous editions, and is a point of contention for this one. It is understandable, since the writeups need to stop at some point and putting a cap insead of a scale for beyond the write up is easier.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Not with the level cap, which is how it was set up. This was not the case in previous editions, and is a point of contention for this one. It is understandable, since the writeups need to stop at some point and putting a cap insead of a scale for beyond the write up is easier.

Once you've statted deities, where do you go?

D&D gave a level cap, and then statted the most powerful beings in the universe as being "near that cap but beatable".

Above the point where the most powerful things ever lie, where do you write your story?
I suppose with the ability to house rule feats and powers you could always make lvl 31 = lvl 1 but use the paragon tier for gaining powers.  Ie at 31 gain 1 feat +1 to all stats, at 32 gain 1 feat + 1 to attacks and defences at 33 gain an ADDITIONAL lvl 1 encounter power instead of swapping.  lvl 41 means a second paragon path and lvl 51 means a second epic destiny.
I suppose with the ability to house rule feats and powers you could always make lvl 31 = lvl 1 but use the paragon tier for gaining powers.  Ie at 31 gain 1 feat +1 to all stats, at 32 gain 1 feat + 1 to attacks and defences at 33 gain an ADDITIONAL lvl 1 encounter power instead of swapping.  lvl 41 means a second paragon path and lvl 51 means a second epic destiny.

You could, but:

#1: Most L1 powers suck, even as a free bonus.
#2: What are you going to *do* with them?  You're already at the "kill the most powerful possible Gods without effort" stage.
Agreed most lvl 1 power arent very impressive so make it gain a lvl 3 instead.  What you do is ultimately up to the DMs imagination.  Nothing says you have to stop just because the book tells you so, and nothings to stop a DM from his own creations.
nothings to stop a DM from his own creations.

Except his own imagination. And therein lies the problem. I refer to my earlier post to this topic.