Default Initiative for new monsters

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
According to the document I have (DMG July 2010 update), monster initiative bonuses should be as follows:

Skirmisher +2
Brute -+2 (I guess they mean -2?)
Soldier +4
Lurker +0
Controller +0
Artillery +0

However, in the MB if you create a new monster, Brutes default to +0, Soldiers default to +2 and Lurkers default to +4.  Anyone else seeing this?  Am I correct in what I think the default bonuses should be?

(Then there's the default damage values which I discussed in this thread but that's another discussion.)

Didn't see any problems in anything else I tested yet though!

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

That document is out of date. You can grab the current version from the archive.

The correct numbers are

• Artillery, Brute, Controller = +0

• Skirmisher, Soldier = +2

• Lurker = +4 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Excellent.  Thank you, Steve!  Got the new document printed for quick reference now.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”