Gully Dwarf Racial Traits?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone made up or seen the Racial Traits for a 4th ed Gully Dwarf as a pc race? If not would someone like too Smile? I'd like too myself but don't trust myself to do it properly. I remember DMing Dragonlance 1st ed once and one of the players had a Gully Dwarf Cleric and they played it really well. The character was an idiot who worshipped Paladine. Now, obviously he didn't understand how to pray for spells as normal priests, though he new they did 'talk' to the god and then they could do special things like make ouches go away so he tried in his own way, singing, chanting, dancing and making faces. As the parties only healer and because the player was willing to sacrific the benefits normally afforded to a character of his class for the sake of roleplaying his character properly and adding some humurous fun to the game, never taking it too far and detracting from the othe players, I didn't think I should, in effect, punish him or the rest of the group so I allowed him to get spells and even use them as the party needed them, it was just that it was always an accident in some way so he would bumble into casting the right spell on the right person, like the Keystone Cops. So why did Paladine even give him his spells when he wasn't using the right incantations or rituals? Well Paladine could remember another befuddle, bumbling old spellcaster he was fond of and thought he'd help the like Gully Dwarf out. It probably explains why those 'accidents' always worked out so well, well most of the time that is.
     So it was fun and I wouldn't mind trying it again. Alas I only eer DMed Dragonlance once and can't remember a lot about the stats of Gully Dwarves, besides I'm new to 4th ed and I'm not confident enough to make up a race and get the balance right so I thought I'd put out the call for some good sumaritan who had some free time and thought it might be fun make the race for pcs. I thank you for any help you can give me. And if you don't feel inclined I'd like to know if anyone else has a 'Gully Dwarf' character story they'd like to share (or any story about a similar kind of character, Gully Dwarf or not). 
What defines the different between a Gully Dwarf and a regular Dwarf? Are you sure it's not minor enough to use a Heritage Feat like they did with Wood Elves and Sun Elves, using the base stats for Dwarves?

I've never played Dragonlance so I don't really know about them.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
That maybe possible, I don't know too much about heritage feats, though I get the gist and the difference is more than the difference between wood elves and sun elves, which were Silvanesti and Kragonisti in DL. I believe, and I could be wrong I'm going back 20 years and I only DMed it for a few adventures, they had a gnome/dwarf heritage so they were really a different race rather than a subrace as the name implies. They weren't very good at really, they were stupid, gullible and smelly. They had a good constitution though, considering they lived in filth, so that is similar to a regular Dwarf. They were good thieves too, I think. It's not really the kind of race you'd take for game mechanic reasons, to be honest they were comic relief actually. They guy who played him was a roleplayer and he liked a challenge, it's a bit like people who like to play kobolds, but not the ones that do it just to get up everybody's noses.  
Comic relief doesn't require stats. Just grab Dwarf stats, switch +2 Wis with +2 Dex, drop their racial Dungeoneering for Thievery, and you're good to go.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Yeah I know what you mean and keeping it simple is best. Ta.
Well as I recall the gully dwarf is more akin to a raggedy stretched out gnome than a true dwarf.

In 3.5 they ran something like +2 dex, +2 con, -4 cha, -4 wis, possibly an int penalty in there too but I don't have the book on me.

They lacked the exceptional stability, stubborness, and durability of the dwarf, but were remarkably adept at squeaking by despite being just about worthless.
I never saw them in 3rd or 3.5, didn't like the look of the new edition of Dragonlance, what was it called the 5th age or something? Of course dwarves always deny any ancestral link to them. Like I said your not going to play one for power-gaming purposes, in fact not many people would play them. When the guy first asked if he could have one I thought he was joking, or a masacist. If I didn't know him I would of assumed he was doing it, as I said, to get up everyone's nose. I think they would keep the stubborness though, some of the ones in the Chronicals were pretty stubborn. I think they had resistance to desease as well, due to the squalid conditions they lived in.
Well for starters a gully dwarf would be an actual small creature, instead of a short medium.

They can't typically count past two, and rarely make it into advanced age, due to sickness, the cruelty of others, or ADAD.
The more I read about them, the more I wonder "how is this race surviving?"
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Mostly by the blessings (as it were) of the gods, since gully dwarves should have gone extinct a long time ago...But in all honesty, I think you may be over-complicating the need to create the race. Have the player take an 8 Int, 10 Wis, and 10 Cha and beef up the other stats. The hardest part of playing a gully dwarf is the same for playing a kender, just play dumb and collect shiny things alot, regardless of actual worth.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Don't forget to eat random lumps of raw bio-mass you find laying around.
Don't forget to eat random lumps of raw bio-mass you find laying around.

Very true. Being able to digest said consumed bio-mass is rarely considered, and that might make you a candidate for leadership.../shudders.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Yeah, basically they survive cockroach-style by being able to eat anything that isn't actually poison, finding hiding places anywhere, and being generally too pathetic for any intelligent being to bother killing on purpose. Racial skills of groveling, scrounging, and spotting danger (real or imagined) in time to run or hide.
Honestly, nowaday, the whole deal make me.. uncomfortable.

I know mentally 'disabled' peoples in real life, and it seems to me now as a parody, cruel parody of 'retards'. Urgh.

They should be erased of canon maybe, or not playable - or at the very least freakin' reworked. A very few time I agree with so called 'PC crowd', because I know real life discrimination on those peoples.
The more I read about them, the more I wonder "how is this race surviving?"

Script immunity.  The same way the Kender and Tinker Gnomes survive ... because the author wants them to, even though, by all rights, they should have gotten killed centuries ago.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.