Looking for specific Dwarf Build

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey gang. I was hoping you could help me optimize a character in the framework of a Theme.

I'm pulling much of the flavor of this character from the “Avalanche Hurler”, Ranger Paragon Path. I loved the idea of a Dwarf trained in ancient combat techniques of his people. A kind of Tunnel-Fighter, keeping the passage of the Dwarven Kingdoms safe from external threats.

Other things I have in mind for him... I had visions of dual wielding hammers that he can toss around the battlefield when he needs to reach out and touch someone.

Is there a build out there that has this kind of flavor? I looked through “The Complete Collection of Character Build Links”, but didn't find what I was looking for.

If there is a build like this I would be thankful if anyone could point me in the right direction. Otherwise I'd welcome any help in cobbling this fella' together!

Thanks!

Dwarven Thrower is a magic weapon that has the heavy thrown property and can be placed on a hammer. You can dual-wield Craghammers and off-hand the Dwarven Thrower so if you ever really need to you can make an RBA with it. You won't be Twin Striking (or using any other ranged Ranger power) though because they are all based on Dex and it wouldn't be a good idea to go Str/Dex on a Dwarf.
Dwarven Thrower is a magic weapon that has the heavy thrown property and can be placed on a hammer. You can dual-wield Craghammers and off-hand the Dwarven Thrower so if you ever really need to you can make an RBA with it. You won't be Twin Striking (or using any other ranged Ranger power) though because they are all based on Dex and it wouldn't be a good idea to go Str/Dex on a Dwarf.

In fairness you're going str/con with the racial split, so going 18 str, 16 dex after racials isn't too bad.  There are stronger races, but within the constraints of Dwarven Avalanche Hurler I think thats OK.  -1 to hit on all ranged powers, AC and Initiative, but thats the price of fitting those constraints.

That said, going Str/Wis Melee Ranger and having an offhand Dwarven Thrower for RBAs may well capture the flavour you want.
MME also has a 'Mighty Dwarven Thrower,' which is quite nice, at least for a higher lvl throwing enchantment.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I'd suggest a Fighter/Seeker hybrid (man I've wanted to say that for a while).  It'd give you the option to take some decent RBA powers along with feats to buff them.  Seems like it would fit in well with Avalanche Hurler if you MC into ranger.
Str/Dex dwarf with Twin Strike and Throw and Stab will work fine. You won't be making very many ranged attacks with twin strike anyway. Your one ranged attack each encounter should typically be Hurling Charge. The occasional time you want to throw at a minion, Throw and Stab works great. If you really have no options other than twin strike a target at range, you suck up the penalty, and deal with it. Even at -1 or -2, twin strike remains a very good power. As a dwarf, you might want to invest in a speed boosting feat, or some boots, or maybe a utility/skill power or two.
Hey gang, thanks for the replies.  After looking at the suggestions I put together the first shot at the build.  Any thoughts?

[Edited to include suggestions]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Nuli Silverbeard, level 12 Dwarf, Ranger, Avalanche Hurler Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style Ranger Option: Running Attack   FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 23, CON 13, DEX 17, INT 9, WIS 12, CHA 11   STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 10 AC: 26 Fort: 26 Ref: 26 Will: 21 HP: 92 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 23   TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +14, Athletics +15, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +14, Perception +12   UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Heal +7, History +5, Insight +7, Intimidate +6, Nature +7, Religion +5, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9   POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry Ranger Attack 1: Throw and Stab Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf Ranger Attack 1: Hurling Charge Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting Ranger Attack 5: Frenzied Skirmish Ranger Utility 6: Death Threat Ranger Attack 7: Lashing Leaves Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run Ranger Utility 10: Root Gate Avalanche Hurler Attack 11: Landslide Strike Avalanche Hurler Utility 12: Quick-Draw Trick   FEATS Toughness Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training Level 2: Bludgeon Expertise Level 4: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 6: Solid Footing Level 8: Improved Defenses Level 10: Quick Steps Level 11: Two-Weapon Defense Level 12: Two-Weapon Opening   ITEMS Adventurer's Kit Boots of Striding x1 Lifeblood Hide Armor +2 x1 Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1 Dwarven Throwers x1 Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1 Foe Stone Bloodiron Craghammer +3 x1 Inescapable Craghammer +2 x1 ====== End ======

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Nuli Silverbeard, level 12

Dwarf, Ranger, Avalanche Hurler

Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style

Ranger Option: Running Attack

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 23, CON 13, DEX 17, INT 9, WIS 12, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 18, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

AC: 24 Fort: 27 Ref: 24 Will: 21

HP: 90 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +13, Athletics +16, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +13, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Heal +7, History +5, Insight +7, Intimidate +6, Nature +7, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience

Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry

Ranger Attack 1: Throw and Stab

Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike

Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf

Ranger Attack 1: Hurling Charge

Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery

Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting

Ranger Attack 5: Frenzied Skirmish

Ranger Utility 6: Death Threat

Ranger Attack 7: Lashing Leaves

Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run

Ranger Utility 10: Root Gate

Avalanche Hurler Attack 11: Landslide Strike

Avalanche Hurler Utility 12: Quick-Draw Trick

FEATS

Toughness

Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training

Level 2: Weapon Focus (Hammer)

Level 4: Lethal Hunter

Level 6: Solid Footing

Level 8: Improved Defenses

Level 10: Quick Steps

Level 11: Two-Weapon Fighting

Level 12: Two-Weapon Opening

ITEMS

Adventurer's Kit

Boots of Striding x1

Lifeblood Hide Armor +2 x1

Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1

Dwarven Throwers x1

Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1

Foe Stone

Bloodiron Craghammer +3 x1

Inescapable Craghammer +2 x1

====== End ======

Hey gang, thanks for the replies.  After looking at the suggestions I put together the first shot at the build.  Any thoughts?
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

FEATS
Toughness
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 4: Lethal Hunter
Level 6: Solid Footing
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Quick Steps
Level 11: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 12: Two-Weapon Opening

My recommended starting stat array:
STR 16+2, CON 12+2, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 10

Weapon Focus (Hammer) doesn't stack with Dwarven Weapon Training. Take Bludgeon Expertise instead.
Lethal Hunter isn't all that great IMO until paragon+, when you actually have more than one die to roll. Take Two-Weapon Fighting/Two-Weapon Defense somewhere in heroic, and take Improved Defenses at some point in paragon.
Quick Steps is good, although Solid Footing can be very situational if you are mostly outdoors (highly campaign dependent).

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Thanks for the reply, Mithrus.  Much better stat array and I don't know what I was thinking with Dwarven Weapon Training and Weapon Focus (Hammer).  I went ahead and made those changes.

I was iffy on Solid Footing, but i kind of liked it for the flavor.  I also liked Quick Steps combined with his Boots of Striding to give him a suprising (for a Dwarf) base speed of 7.

I believe Improved Defenses will be the next feat he takes.

Thanks again for the input!