Getting serious with mtgo now. What to make??

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

So I have been playing some MTGO for around a week now with a white deck I made from all my free cards. My next step is to sell my booster and use the tix for some proper cards.

I really like the Black Infect deck or Birthing Pod. I play a U/W Illusion deck irl.

What would you say I should go for? What would win more consistently? I want to put the hours in, and get really good at the deck.

How should I go about it? How many Tix would you say I would need for each deck?

Would you say going through MTGO is the best way to obtain cards? Or from other sites?

Thank you very much dudes, Please help me become better

PS - my username is Strykah feel free to add me! I am a nice guy! PROMISE!

Hi. Such enthusiasm deserves a positive response. You'll probably find other sites/bots to be the cheapest way to build a constructed deck, whatever format you're thinking of. If you are thinking of standard decks then I imagine a typical price to be $200 or more. That might not get you the best deck in standard, recently you would be paying $200 for just 4 copies of Jace the mind sculptor, and a whole lot more for the rest of the deck. I don't play standard, I play pauper (commons only format) where most of the decks are under $30. Good luck.
Hey. Thank u very much for your reply. Hmmm sounds like alot of money. I still want to play the black infect deck though!! Looks sooo sweet. any other tips please?
Hi strykah
The better botchains have their own website were you can find the prices for the cards you want.
I am not allowed to name them on here so you will have to look for it yourself.
I allways play with budget decks and i know it is possible to build a pretty good and cheap deck.
If you have a decklist you have to look up the prices of the cards in it and simply remove the expensive ones.
Now you will have to find cheap cards to replace those expensive cards.
The site i use for this is magiccards.info wich is actually a pretty good buildingtool.
If you put infect in the search option it will give you all the cards with infect.
However in a lot of cases those expensive cards you took out could be keycards for the deck on that list so if you want to replace them with cheaper cards you will have to make some more changes to make it work.
But when you start puzzling with it you will probably (like me) bump into a cheap card wich you just have to use in a deckCool
You also could take a look into the heirloom format.
This format uses all cardtypes but only the cheaper ones...common is max 5ct..unc is max 10ct...rare is max 20ct and mythic is max $1.
They probably have some fun decklists out there.

laterrrrrrrr

Getting serious with MTG:O?
Then what you need to make is more money.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Everyone seems to not play standard properly then on MTGO? lol. Everyone who has commented has basically said to play cheaper formants :P 

Maybe I should just make the Black infect deck irl and stick to drafts on MTGO. How does that sound?

Thanks for all your help.

@Fortunecase - could you please send me an IM with the links?

Thanks! 
it really depends on what level of seriousness or competitiveness you are aiming for. the more powerful tourney calibre cards - especially the rares and mythics - are often expensive.

the two deck types you have mentioned - infect and birth pod - can be played 'for fun' and whatnot. and outside of the birthing pods, either deck can be built pretty cheaply. at least if you are willing to substitute for the more costly cards they use. mind you that both of these archetypes have seen enough play that many will complain that they are 'overplayed' and will complain in gneral when they see an infect themed deck or the first birth pod hit the board.
Mono black infect may actually not be to much to make, think it is a fairly cheap standard deck to make.  I think Inkmoth Nexus is the only thing that is to expensive in the deck.

However if you are looking for serious play for cheaper try Momir basic or Pauper.  Momir is a deck where you generate random creatures and can play competitively for 10 dollars.  Pauper is all commons and can be played competitively from 10-40 dollars.  One thing you can do if you don't want to spend much money and want to play competitively is to start in one of these two formats.  You can then play daily events (which pay out very nicely) and sell the packs until you have enough for your standard deck.

However, if you just want to play in casual room, you can pretty much spend as little as you would like.
Could u recomnend a deck to make for such daily events!? Thanks a bunch
Could u recomnend a deck to make for such daily events!? Thanks a bunch
Try pdcmagic.com for many recent winning pauper decks.  

Hey Strykah, it's good to see someone so enthusaistic.  Smile

First let's set your expectations.  If you want a good Standard deck, where "good" means "holds up in a competive environment" then $200 is toward cheaper end of how decks can go.  $500 would hardly be out of the question.  $1000 is not unheard of.  (And on the whole, MTGO is cheaper than paper so take that for what it's worth.)

Also, and this is often overlooked by people starting out, a good environment shifts a bit.  So you build a deck, and then the environment changes, and now that deck isn't so competitive. So you need to budget some time and money to flexibility.

So if that scares you off then that's why Pauper has become so popular, and pdcmagic.com is the place to go.

If you do want to go with Standard, then "what deck" is an endlessly unanswerable question.  Many columns are written every week on what's best and how to adjust, and here is today's column on DailyMTG.com ("the mothership") attempting to further answer it.  mtgonline.com has the latest listings from the dailies themselves so you can peruse raw data and make your mind up.  But that's the whole meta-game of Magic, trying to sort through all the data to pick what's best.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Thank you all very much for your replies!! I think I will go pauper first after much thought. With pauper..does it work in formats? Like is there a standard? Or is pauper THE format? And every common card is available? If I enter a tourni and win a match...do i get a booster? What boosters are they? I am deffo going to all the links suggested. Thanks again!!
Pauper is THE format. Any common ever printed ever. Skull Clamp and some other thing is banned.

You will win M12 packs.

A good pauper deck will probably set you back about 20 tickets. Daily events cost 6 tickets to enter. If you win 3 matchs out of 4, you get 6 packs. If you win all 4 matches, you get 11 packs. If you win 2 or less matches, you get no packs. 
And is it a dollar for 1 tix?
Hey all. So I really like the mono black infect deck - but it will cost around £80 for me to make irl and whats the point if it wont win anything? So this topped yesterday in pauper and will cost me around £4 to make. You think it's a vialble choice? Please let me know asap! as i may make this tonight. I need help finding these cards also! Do I just get them from a bot? I would love for someone to meet me online and give me a hand...like mentor me, tell me what to do

www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlin...
Pauper has a green infect deck which you may like. A word of warning, it includes the card invigorate, a common that was only "printed" in MTGO in a special precon deck, so the card is actually worth around 12 tx in MTGO. However, the expansion where it was released (Mercadian Masques) is being released in MTGO in December. Since its a common, there will be plenty of that card going around when everybody starts drafting the format and the price for that card should go down. If you plan to play this format, I recommend getting al the other cards now and practicing, then once MM is released, wati for the price to come down (a couple of weeks should do) and finish the deck. BTW, Lotus Petals are also quite expensive but I don't see those coming down in price any time soon.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Do you have a link for this green deck? I couldnt find any lotus petals online. How much we talking?
Right!! So just spent a little over one ticket to buy the entire deck as above. The only things I am missing at the mo are the expensive cards, like the lotus, rangor and something else...Just played a quick game.. 1-0 WOOP!

Are there any other green cards that allow you to deal damage? more that 1 like hornets sting?
Update...Just won again Rot Wolf + Groundswell is AMAZING!!
You can find the lotus petal at the, er.. bigges bot retailers. Darn I wish we could talk about bots properly here. Its around 6tx each. Actually, if you look for Lotus Petal in the classifieds, you can find a couple of adds selling it (though I don't think any of those are the major bots). I recommend not paying more than 6tx though.

Also, about that green infect deck. A lot of people hate it because it can win so... cheaply, specially when you add the invigorates so don't be surprised if you're playing for fun, play forest, infect elf and the other person just quits. On the other hand, I'm always looking for people playing infect to test my decks against infect but there seem to be very few practicing.

Also, about that green infect deck. A lot of people hate it because it can win so... cheaply

not only that, but it can win out of nowhere. the infect creatures plus any pump in hand makes even a lowly 1/1 a big threat if left unblocked.

if you were looking for non-pauper only cards, i would recommend some card draw as well as the damage dealers you already asked about.
@gabochidillo Can you send me a cheeky PM on recommended how I can obtain those apart from looking in classified? Also, I am more than happy to help you test against this deck. Unfortunatley it doesn't have the main cards like Locust Petal and Invigorates, but i look to get them. Once you tell me the best way

@aXa Non Pauper cards would take me out of the pauper format though
Is it me or is Lotus Petal and Thicket not really that essential in this deck? I feel the only real card I really need Invigorate. 

Can you guys suggest a side board? I think Sandstorm is a given since all this goblin fun thats going around. 
Is it me or is Lotus Petal and Thicket not really that essential in this deck? I feel the only real card I really need Invigorate. 

Can you guys suggest a side board? I think Sandstorm is a given since all this goblin fun thats going around. 

i am not certain what the exact build of the deck you went with. one that i saw that seemed like the one that you picked that included the cards you mentioned - like the petals, thicket and invigorates - seemed to also include around 6 off colour phyrexian mana based cards, like Apostle's Blessing. and while the occasional life payment wont hurt you too badly, they can add up; the petals seemed to be in there to give you access to both mana of any colour and a way to have one mana left free until you need it, in like an emergency(to save a creature or to go lethal during combat). i think the deck also runs the card Manamorphose to allow access to mana of any colour. plus its a cantrip(draw a card when you cast it) which is great, imo
Wow, hadn't checked the thread in a while, cool to see someone new to MTGO having a lot of fun.  Feel free to pm me in game if you want to test pauper.  As far as sideboard I would include something for artifacts, thermokrast to destroy lands from the two storm decks, and fog for mirror and goblins.
Also, about that green infect deck. A lot of people hate it because it can win so... cheaply, specially when you add the invigorates so don't be surprised if you're playing for fun, play forest, infect elf and the other person just quits.

Pauper games are much more rare than Classic and Standard, and then once I do find a Pauper game, the majority of opponents are playing Green Infect or Black/Blue control. Once I spot the decks (and it's not hard -- they all play the same cards in the first few turns), I concede. I don't need to play through the game to know that I've lost and that their copied deck is superior. I like to play against variation, against the unknown. When I can see a single card and know the entire content of their deck, that's not variation, that's playing against someone who has copied someone else's deck. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to play against people, not the decks.
I actually have the opposite problem. The infect deck, while it has a draw that is imposisble to beat if they play first, in general takes a few turns to go online. I see that, at least in the dailies, they often go 3-1 but surprisingly don't 4-0 that much so I assume that it must be possible to beat them consistently with the right sideboard and deck. Therefore, I keep wanting to practice against them, but I find not that many people play them in the practice room .

BTW, If what you want is variance, you should probably try the casual room. While some people like to test out their decks against the metagame, I believe most people are trying to learn how to play with the most competitive decks against the most competitive decks in the tournament practice, while in the casual room you find the more interesting experimental decks.
Sign In to post comments