I need help getting my game started

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys i just signed up on this site annd recently got the Red Box Well I got 3 freinds to play it with

So I had them come over I did a demo charecter sheet and let them see it for a example well after i had them create there charecters (took forever) they wanted to play a adventure. I know one mistake that i did was that i didnt prepare and all well lets just say it went bad, My freinds lost interest and kept wanting to play my xbox so then i had to turn off the screen. Thats when they started calling me a nerd for wanting to play this game That day didnt turn out so good So if anybody can take me through some steps and give me some tips on how to be a good DM and sort of help me out it will be greatly appritiated oh btw i was talking to them about having DM switch offs like Ill be DM for 3-4 weeks then somebody else is the DM for a couple of weeks. Because I want to play to . So Plz respond to this and if anybody has some help for me dont be afraid to post it on here.   
Welcome to the hobby!

First thing, always make sure you read and understand any adventures you plan on running ahead of time. It seems like this may have been a problem.

Next, I think pregenerated characters can be a big help for new players and for getting the game off and running. You said that making characters took a long time, so you didn't do this either.

Third, always turn off the xbox when you are trying to play a role playing game. It's quite simply one of the biggest distractions you can have.

I hope these ideas help you out, and again, welcome to the hobby.
The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change...

As a DM: 

Always remember you can't plan for everything - and be prepared to improvise! Quite frankly, if you can't improvise - you'll never make a good GM.  Sorry to say it, but it's true.  The best DM's can think on their feet and keep the story flowing.  If the players do do something that throws you for a loop; take a sec to think about it (tell them 'ok, hold that thought a sec' and then go get a drink / go to the bathroom...)  I can almost guarentee you that the players will start discussing their good idea to flesh it out even more...

Just as an expample:  We were playing Shadowrun and had to get past a bunch of guards - the DM was expecting a big fight; had everything planned out - so we disguised one of the players as a food deliverer - rigged the food with a ton of explosives - and delivered the food to them.  When they said they didn't order it and started getting nervous, the player had the best story ever about why he had the food for them.  The DM was laughing so hard, he let us get away with it - and that was the end of encounter (well, after the massive explosion....) - years later, we still laugh about it.

Also: Make sure there are NO distractions - If there are distractions, you're sunk.

I personally say no to having pre-generated characters.  Have them make their own characters; investment into a character is the best way to keep them interested in my opinion.  Help them make 'em sure; but let them do everything.

Ok thanks for the help you two Ive been looking for pre generated charecters to get them started and if they like it ill have them create there own charecters. Also i will make sure there are not any distractions in hte room. I will try to plan ahead. And also be flexible for anything. Also do you guys know where to get pregenerated lvl 1 charecters specifically dwarf, human, elf, halfing races and classes, fighter, cleric, rouge, mage. that will help alot thank you also if you or anybody else have some tips or advice plz post it.

Thank-you 
DM's should know the rules.
Have you had mock combats with a few creatures to try different things?
I recommend pre-gens to see how the game works, then creating character's once they understand how the game and character classes work. People may like the sound of a fighter for instance but prefer a rogue when they see how they actually 'feel' in play.

The players sound action orientated from your description. Perhaps an arena battle to introduce them to the game? Remember to give plenty of descriptions for results of actions in combat.

D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.
Hi EvilP3nguin in addition to all of the great advice that you've recieved here there's also a whole site here that's dedicated to DMing help community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588....  It's kind of out of the way and easily overlooked unfortunately.  As a side note, your friends actually called you a nerd for playing a table top RPG instead of video games?  Really, I mean it's not like video games fit the mainstrean definition of cool.  I guess that they are more popular than table top RPGs though Undecided.

Good luck on you game.  

Thx everybody for your suggestions but i still need Pre-generated lvl 1 charecters so if anybody knows where i can get them or you guys have some i could print that would be helpful

Hi. If your looking for some pregens I know that the official dnd website has some on their official dnd rpg page. Head on over to the "DM" (at the top of the page) section and look under the "new to dn" tab on the right side of the page. If you download the Keep On The Shadowfell adventure and go to the last few pages there will be I believe six Level 1 pre gens. Good luck with your DMing career. Smile

PS: If your very insistent oon being a player (i suggest you try it) then ask at your local game store about dnd encounters and maybe someday DM one of the events.

Thx everybody for your suggestions but i still need Pre-generated lvl 1 charecters so if anybody knows where i can get them or you guys have some i could print that would be helpful

Here's a link to a few, there near the bottom of the page www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new....
Thx for the help again guys still looking for charecters even though i have alot of them i like a variety and still any tips for DMing will be helpful thx.
I haven't been on this forum for too long, but I've never heard this tip mentioned: Make sure your players are fed.

It may sound like a joke, but I've never played a smooth-running session without snacks at the beginning and a meal at half-time. And no, my group is not a bunch of angry fat people. Once the group starts regular sessions, start a pizza fund. Make it part of the experience.

Another thing I've learned from many failed attempts at getting a D&D group going is that you won't be able to pull everyone you want into the game. My best friend since high school still refuses to play the game. My wife resisted playing for years until she saw the D&D episode of "Community" and got interested. My advice: if you really want to play the game, seek out willing participants.

Both preperation and improvisation are important for the DM because both are needed for a smooth game. Improvisation comes with a bit of practice, of course.

3.x Faithful.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
Sorry to hear that things didn't go according to plan.  Sounds like one of those things where you're trying to herd cats while finding your own way around the game - it can be tricky!

For pre-gens, check out the Quick Start Rules (link) - there should be some pre-generated characters at the end of the document; just add names and you are set to go.  They are older than the Red Box and might have some minor errata issues, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

I'll try to transcribe the pre-generated characters from one of the two 4th Edition starter sets in another reply (it'll take me a while.)

You can always create your own pre-generated characters, too... just create a couple characters of each class, sketch a quick background and description that's open enough for the players to add their own details, and you are set to go.

(Oddly, when I was younger X-Box players would have been considered nerdier than pen-and-paper RPG players.. funny how things change!)
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
"Old 4th Edition" ("blue box") Starter Set Pre-Generated Characters:

[spoiler Dwarven Fighter]
Name: __________  Gender: _____

As a Dwarf, you share many qualities with the earth and rock of your mountain home.  You are strong, hardy, and dependable.  As a fighter, your job is to defend your allies.  You are brave, loyal, and devoted to the cause of goodness.

Hit Points: 31 __________
Bloodied: 15  /  Healing Surge: 7  /  Surges per day: 12
Initiative:  +1 __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: 17  /  Fortitude:  15  /  Reflex:  11  /  Will:  12

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +6 (maul)  Damage:  2d6+3
Ranged Basic Attack:  +3 (dagger)  Damage:  1d4+1

Racial Traits: 
Height 4'8"  Weight 200 lb.  Size:  Medium
Speed:  5 squares  Vision:  Low-light
Languages:  Common, Dwarven
Alignment:  Good
Skill Bonus:  +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Endurance (already included).
Cast Iron Stomach:  +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison.
Dwarven Resilience:  You can use your second wind as a minor action
Stand Your Ground:  When an effect forces you to move - through a pull, push, or slide - you move 1 square less than the effect specifies.  In addition, when an attack would knock you prone, you can make an immediate saving throw to avoid falling prone.

At-Will Power: Cleave (Fighter Attack 1)
You hit one enemy, then cleave another.
At-Will - Martial, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee weapon
Target:  one creature
Attack:  +6 vs. AC
Hit:  2d6+3 Damage, and an enemy adjacent to you takes 3 damage

At-Will Power: Reaping Strike (Fighter Attack 1)
You punctuate your scything attacks with wicked jabs and small cutting blows that slip through your enemy's defenses.
At-Will - Martial Weapons
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Hit:  2d6+3 damage.
Miss:  3 damage.

Encounter Power:  Spinning Sweep (Fighter Attack 1)
You spin beneath your enemy's guard with a long, powerful cut, and then sweep your leg through his an instant later to knock him head over heels.
Encounter - Martial, Weapon
Target:  One creature
Hit:  2d6+3 damage, and you knock the target prone.

Daily Power:  Brute Strike (Fighter Attack 1)
You shatter armor and bone with a ringing blow.
Daily - Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Hit:  6d6+3 damage.
Miss:  You don't expend the use of this power.

Class Features:
Combat Challenge:  Every time you attack an enemy, whether that attack hits or misses, you can chose to mark that target.  The mark lasts until the end of your next turn.  While a target is marked, it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include you as a target.  A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time.  A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.  In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes and attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.
Combat Superiority:  You gain a +2 bonus to opportunity attacks.
Fighter Weapon Talent:  You gain +1 bonus to attack rolls when using two-handed weapons (already included).

Ability Scores (Check Modifier):
STR 16  (+3)
CON 16 (+3)
DEX 13 (+1)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 11 (+0)

Skills (Ability)  /  Trained  /  Modifier
Acrobatics (DEX) / n / +1
Arcana (INT)  /  n  /  +0
Athletics (STR)  /  yes  / +8
Bluff (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  n  /  +4
Endurance (CON)  /  yes  /  +10
Heal (WIS)  /  n  /  +2
History (INT)  /  n  /  +0
Insight (WIS)  /  n  /  +2
Intimidate (CHA)  /  yes  /  +5
Nature (WIS)  /  n  /  +2
Perception (WIS)  /  n  /  +2
Religion (INT)  /  n  /  +0
Stealth (DEX)  /  n  /  +1
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Thievery (DEX)  /  n  /  +1

Feat:
Power Attack:  When making a melee attack, you can take a =2 penalty to the attack roll.

Gear:
Armor:  Scale Mail
Weapon:  Maul, Daggers (5), Your daggers have a range of 5/10 as thrown weapons
Adventurer's Kit:  including a backpack, bedroll, flint and steel, a belt pouch, two sunrods, ten days worth of trail rations, 50' of rope, and a waterskin.
Gold:  10gp

Second Level:
At 2nd level, you gain the following:
Hit Points increase to 37
Bloodied increase to 18
Healing Surge increase to 9

Level Modifier:  Because your new level is an even number, everything that includes 1/2 your level gets better.  Increase your attacks, defenses, initiative, and skill check modifiers by 1 point.

Feat:  Dwarven Weapon Training:  You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers (such as your maul).  Increase your damage numbers accordingly.

Utility Power:  Unstoppable (Fighter Utility 2)
You let your adrenaline surge carry you through the battle.
Daily - Healing, Martial
Minor Action, Personal
Effect:  You gain 2d6+3 temporary hit points.

3rd Level:
At 3rd level, you gain the following:
Hit Points:  increase to 43
Bloodied:  increase to 23
Healing Surge:  increase to 10

Ecounter Power:  Crushing Blow (Fighter Attack 3)
You wind up and deliver a devastating blow with your weapon.
Target:  One Creature
Attack:  +7 vs. AC
Hit:  4d6+8 Damage
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Halfling Rogue]

As a Halfling, you are resourceful and known for your quick wits and steady nerves.  As a Rogue, your job is to dart in and deal massive damage, and use your skills to aid your allies as necessary. 

Hit Points: 25 __________
Bloodied: 12  /  Healing Surge: 6  /  Surges per day: 7
Initiative:  +4 __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: 16  /  Fortitude:  11  /  Reflex:  16  /  Will:  13

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +5 (dagger)  Damage:  1d4+1
Ranged Basic Attack:  +8 (dagger)  Damage:  1d4+4

Racial Traits: 
Height 4'0"  Weight 85 lb.  Size:  Small
Speed:  6 squares  Vision:  Normal
Languages:  Common, Goblin
Skill Bonus:  +2 Acrobatics, +2 Thievery (already included).

Bold:  +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear.
Nimble Reaction:  +2  racialbonus to AC against opportunity attacks.
Second Chance:  You can use Second Chance as an encounter power.

Racial Power:  Second Chance (Halfling Racial Power)
Luck and small size combine to work in your favor as you dodge your enemy's attack.
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt, Personal
Effect:  When an attack hits you, force an enemy to roll the attack again.  The enemy uses the second roll, even if it is lower.

At-Will Power: Deft Strike (Rogue Attack 1)
A final lunge brings you into an advantageous position.
Standard Action, Melee or Ranged weapon
Special:  You can move 2 squares before the attack.
Attack:  +8 vs. AC
Hit:  1d4+4 damage.

At-Will Power:  Sly Flourish (Rogue Attack 1)
A distracting flourish causes the enemy to forget the blade at his throat.
Hit:  1d4+7 damage.

Encounter Power:  Positioning Strike (Rogue Attack 1)
A false stumble and a shove place the enemy exactly where you want him.
Hit:  2d4+4 damage, and you can slide the target 3 squares.

Daily Power:  Trick Strike (Rogue Attack 1)
Through a series of feints and lures, you maneurver your foe right where you want him.
Daily - Martial, Weapon
Hit:  3d4+4 damage, and you can slide the target 1 square.
Effect:  Until the end of the encounter, each time you hit the target you can slide it 1 square.

Class Features:
Artful Dodger:  You gain a +3 bonus to AC against opportunity attacks.  (Your total bonus is +5 due to Nimble Reaction.)
First Strike:  At the start of an encounter, you have combat advantage against any creatures that have not yet acted in the encounter.
Rogue Weapon talent:  You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls when using a dagger (already included.)
Sneak Attack:  Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and are using a light blade a crossbow, or a sling, your attack against that enemy deals an additional 2d8 points of damage.

STR 12  (+1)
CON 13 (+1)
DEX 18 (+4)
INT 11 (+0)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 16 (+3)

Acrobatics (DEX) / yes / +11
Athletics (STR)  /  n  / +1
Bluff (CHA)  /  yes  /  +8
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  n  /  +0
Endurance (CON)  /  n  /  +1
Heal (WIS)  /  n  /  +0
History (INT)  /  n  /  +0
Insight (WIS)  /  yes  /  +5
Intimidate (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Nature (WIS)  /  n  /  +0
Perception (WIS)  /  yes  /  +5
Religion (INT)  /  n  /  +0
Stealth (DEX)  /  yes  /  +9
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Thievery (DEX)  /  yes  /  +11

Feat:
Backstabber:  The extra damage dice from your Sneak Attack class feature increases from d6s to d8s (already included).

Gear:
Armor:  Leather.
Weapon:  Daggers (10).  Your daggers have a range of 5/10 as thrown weapons.
Adventurer's Kit:  including a backpack, bedroll, flint and steel, a belt pouch, two sunrods, ten days worth of trail rations, 50' of rope, and a waterskin.
Thieves' Tools:  To use the Thievery skill properly, you need the right picks and pries, skeleton keys, clamps, and so on.  Thieves' Tools grant a +2 bonus to Thievery checks to open a lock or disarm a trap.
Gold:  25 gp

Second Level:
Hit Points increase to 30
Bloodied increase to 15
Healing Surge increase to 7

Level Modifier:  Because your new level is an even number, everything that includes 1/2 your level gets better.  Increase your attacks, defenses, initiative, and skill check modifiers by 1 point.

Feat:  Halfling Agility:  When you use your Halfling Second Chance racial feature, the attacker takes a -2 penalty to the new attack roll.

Utility Power:  Tumble (Rogue Utility 2)
You tumble out of harm's way, dodging the opportunistic attack of your enemies.
Encounter - Martial
Move Action, Personal

3rd Level:
Hit Points:  increase to 35
Bloodied:  increase to 17
Healing Surge:  increase to 8

Ecounter Power:  Bait and Switch (Rogue Attack 3)
You strike and weave, causing your foe to lurch forward so that you can duck around him and slip into his space.
Attack:  +9 vs. Will
Hit:  2d4+4 Damage.  In addition, you switch places with the target and can then shift up to 3 squares.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Eladrin Wizard]

As an Eladrin, you are graceful and intelligent.  You have strong ties to nature and magic.  As a Wizard, you channel arcane forces to exert control that hinders foes or blasts them into oblivion.  Magic is your art form.

Hit Points: 23 __________
Bloodied: 11  /  Healing Surge: 5  /  Surges per day: 7
Initiative:  +7 __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: 14  /  Fortitude:  11  /  Reflex:  14  /  Will:  14

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +3 (longsword)  Damage:  1d8
Ranged Basic Attack:  +4 (magic missile)  Damage:  2d4+4

Racial Traits: 
Height 6'1"  Weight 170 lb.  Size:  Medium
Speed:  6 squares  Vision:  Low-light
Languages:  Common, Elven
Skill Bonus:  +2 Arcana, +2 Hisstory (already included)

Eladrin Will: +1 racial bonus to Will defense (included), +5 racial bonus to saving throws against charm effects.
Fey Step:  You can use fey step as an encounter power.

Racial Power:  Fey Step (Eladrin Racial Power)
With a step, you vanish from one place and appear in another.
Encounter - Teleportation
Move Action, Personal
Effect:  Teleport up to 5 squares.  You have to be able to see your destination.  This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.

At-Will Power: Magic Missile (Wizard Attack 1)
You launch a silvery bolt of force at an enemy.
At-Will - Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 20
Special:  This power can be used to make ranged basic attacks.
Attack:  +4 vs. Reflex
Hit:  2d4+4 force damage.

At-Will Power: Scorching Burst (Wizard Attack 1)
A vertical column of golden flames burns all within.
At-Will - Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action, Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target:  Each creature in burst
Hit:  1d6+4 fire damage.

Encounter Power:  Burning Hands (Wizard Attack 1)
A fierce burst of flame erupts from your hands and scorches nearby foes.
Encounter - Fire, Arcane, Implement
Standard Action, Close blast 5
Hit:  2d6+4 fire damage.

Daily Power:  Acid Arrow (Wizard Attack 1)
A shimmering arrow of green, glowing liquid streaks to your target and bursts in a spray of sizzling acid.
Daily - Acid, Arcane, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 20
Primary Target:  one creature
Hit:  2d8+4 acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).  Make a secondary attack.
- Secondary Target:  Each creature adjacent to the primary target
- Secondary Attack:  +4 vs. Reflex
- Secomdary hit:  1d8+4 acid damage and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).
Miss:  Half damage, and ongoing 2 acid damageto primary target (save ends), and no secondary attack.

Daily Power:  Sleep (Wizard Attack 1)
You exert your will against your foes, seeking to overhelm them with a tide of magical weariness.
Daily - Acid, Sleep, Implement
Standard Action, Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Target:  Each creature in burst
Attack:  +4 vs. Will
Hit:  The target is slowed (save ends).  If the target fails its first saving throw, the target falls asleep (save ends).
Miss:  The target is slowed (save ends).

Cantrip Power:  Ghost Sound (Wizard Cantrip)
With a wink, you create an illusory sound that emanates from somewhere close by.
At-Will - Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Target:  One object or unoccupied square
Effect:  You cause a sound as quiet as a whisper or as loud as a yelling or fighting creature to emanate from the target.  You can produce nonvocal sounds such as the ringing of a sword blow, jingling armor, or scraping stone.  If you whisper, you can whisper quietly enough that ony creatures adjacent to the target can hear your words.

Cantrip Power:  Light (Wizard Cantrip)
With a wave of your hand, you cause a bright light to appear on the tip of your staff, upon some other object, or in a nearby square.
At-Will - Arcane
Minor Action, Ranged 5
Target:  One object or unoccupied square
Effect:  You cause the target to shed bright light.  The light fills the target's square and all squares within 4 squares of it.  The light lasts for 5 minutes.  Putting out the light is a free action.
Special:  You can have only one light cantirp active at a time.  If you create a new light, your previously cast light winks out.

Class Features:
Cantrips:  You know a few minor spells that you can use as at-will powers.
Spellbook:  Your spellbook holds an extra daily spell.  After an extended rest, prepare one of those spells to use for the day.  You know two daily spells, but you can only cast one per day.
Wand of Accuracy (Implement Mastery):  Once per encounter as a free action, you gain a +2 bonus on a single attack roll against one target when using your wand.

STR 11  (+0)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 16 (+3)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 10 (+0)

Acrobatics (DEX) / n / +3
Arcana (INT)  /  yes  /  +11
Athletics (STR)  /  n  / +0
Bluff (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  yes  /  +6
Heal (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
History (INT)  /  yes  /  +11
Insight (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Intimidate (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Nature (WIS)  /  yes  /  +6
Perception (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Religion (INT)  /  n  /  +9
Stealth (DEX)  /  n  /  +3
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +0
Thievery (DEX)  /  n  /  +3

Feat:
Improved Initiative:  You gain a +4 bonus to initiative checks (already included).

Gear:
Armor:  none
Weapon:  longsword, wand
Spellbook
Gold:  23 gp

Second Level:
Hit Points increase to 27
Bloodied increase to 13
Healing Surge increase to 6

Feat:  Eladrin Soldier:  You gain +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with your longsword.

Utility Power:  Expeditious Retreat (Wizard Utility 2)
Your form blurs as you hastily withdraw from the battlefield.
Daily - Arcane
Move Action, Personal
Effect:  Shift up to twice your speed.

3rd Level:
Hit Points:  increase to 31
Bloodied:  increase to 15
Healing Surge:  increase to 7

Ecounter Power:  Fire Shroud (Wizard Attack 3)
With a subtle gesture, you wreathe nearby enemies in flames.
Encounter - Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action, Close burst 3
Target:  Each enemy in burst
Attack:  +5 vs. Fortitude
Hit:  1d8+4 Fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Human Cleric]

As a human, you are decisive and rash.  You are othing if not adaptable.  As a cleric, you use your prayers to heal and bolster your teammates.

Hit Points: 24 __________
Bloodied: 12  /  Healing Surge: 6  /  Surges per day: 8
Initiative:  +0 __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: 16  /  Fortitude:  12  /  Reflex:  11  /  Will:  17

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +3 (mace)  Damage:  1d8+1
Ranged Basic Attack:  +2 (crossbow)  Damage:  1d8+x

Racial Traits: 
Height 6'0"  Weight 180 lb.  Size:  Medium
Speed:  5 squares  Vision:  Normal
Languages:  Common, Draconic
Alignment:  Lawful Good

Human Bonuses:  One extra at-will power, feat, trained skill, +1 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses (already included).

At-Will Power: Lance of Faith (Cleric Attack 1)
A brilliant ray of light sears your foe with golden radiance.  Sparkles of light linger around the target, guiding your ally's attack.
At-Will - Divine, Implement Radiant
Standard Action, Ranged 5
Hit:  1d8+4 radiant damage, and one ally you can see gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next attack roll against the target.

At-Will Power: Sacred Flame (Cleric Attack 1)
Sacred light shines from above, searing a single enemy with its radiance while at the same time aiding an ally with its beneficent power.
At-Will - Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action, Ranged 5
Special:  x
Hit:  1d6+4 radiant damage, and one ally you can see chooses either to gain temporary hit points equal to your CHA modifier + one-half of your level or to making a saving throw.

Encounter Power:  Healing Strike (Cleric Attack 1)
Divine radiance gleams from your weapon.  When you smite your enemy, your deity bestows a minor blessing in the form of healing for you or one of your allies.
Encounter - Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon
Attack:  +3 vs. AC
Hit:  2d8+1 radiant damage, and the target is marked until the end of your next turn.  In addition, you or one ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

Daily Power:  Beacon of Hope (Cleric Attack 1)
A burst of divine energy harms your foes and heals your allies.
Daily - Divine, Healing, Implement
Standard Action, Close burst 3
Target:  Each enemy in burst
Hit:  The target is weakened until the end of its next turn.
Effect:  You and all your allies in the burst regain 5 hit points, and your healing powers restore +5 hit points until the end of the encounter.

Class Features:
Channel Divinity:  You can use one of these special divine powers once per encounter.
Healer's Lore:  When you grant healing with one of your Cleric powers that has the Healing keyword, add +3 to the number of restored hit points.
Healing Word:  Twice per encounter as a minor action, you can use the Healing Word power.

Cleric Power:  Healing Word (Cleric Feature)
You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds.
Encounter (Special) - Divine, Healing
Special:  You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round.
Minor Action, Close burst 5
Target:  You or one ally
Effect:  The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

Channel Divinity Power:  Divine Fortune (Cleric Feature)
In the face of peril, you hold true to your faith and receive a special boon.
Encounter - Divine
Free Action, Personal
Effect:  You gain a +1 bonus to your next attack roll or saving throw before the end of your next turn.

Channel Divinity Power:  Turn Undead (Cleric Feature)
You sear undead foes, push them back, and root them in place.
Encounter - Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action, Close burst 2
Target:  Each undead creature in burst
Hit:  1d10+4 radiant damage, and you can push the target 6 squares.  The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Miss:  Half damage, and the target is not pushed or immobilized.

Channel Divinity Power:  Armor of Bahamut (Feat Power)
Bahamut protects you or a friend from devastating harm.
Encounter - Divine
Immediate Interrupt, Ranged 5
Trigger:  An enemy scores a direct hit on your or an ally.
Effect:  Turn a critical hit against you or an ally within range into a normal hit.

STR 13  (+1)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 11 (+0)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 18 (+4)
CHA 14 (+2)

Acrobatics (DEX) / n / +0
Arcana (INT)  /  yes  /  +5
Athletics (STR)  /  n  / +1
Bluff (CHA)  /  n  /  +2
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +2
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  n  /  +4
Heal (WIS)  /  yes  /  +9
History (INT)  /  yes  /  +5
Insight (WIS)  /  yes  /  +9
Intimidate (CHA)  /  n  /  +2
Nature (WIS)  /  n  /  +4
Perception (WIS)  /  n  /  +4
Religion (INT)  /  yes  /  +5
Stealth (DEX)  /  n  /  +0
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +2
Thievery (DEX)  /  n  /  +0

Feat:
Action Surge:  You gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls you make during any action you gained by spending an action point.
Channel Divinity: Armor of Bahamut:  You can invoke the power of your deity to use the Armor of Bahamut power.

Gear:
Armor:  Chain mail.
Weapon:  Mace, crossbow bolts (20).  Your crossbow has a range of 15/30.
Holy symbol of Bahamut
Gold:  10 gp

Second Level:
Hit Points increase to 29
Bloodied increase to 14
Healing Surge increase to 7

Feat:  Human Perseverance:  You gain a +1 bonus to saving throws.

Utility Power:  Cure Light Wouns (Cleric Utility 2)
You utter a simple prayer and gain the power to instantly heal wounds, and your touch momentarily suffuses you or a wounded creature with a dim silver light.
Daily - Divine, Healing
Standard Action, Melee touch
Target:  You or one creature
Effect:  The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge.

3rd Level:
Hit Points:  increase to 34
Bloodied:  increase to 17
Healing Surge:  increase to 8

Ecounter Power:  Daunting Light (Cleric Attack 3)
A burning column of light engulfs your foe.  Its brilliance burns and hinders your foe's defense for a short time.
Encounter - Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Attack:  +5 vs. Reflex
Hit:  2d10+4 Radiant Damage.
Effect:  One ally you can see gains combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Dragonborn Paladin]

Fluff Text.

Hit Points: 27 __________
Bloodied: 13  /  Healing Surge: 7  /  Surges per day: 11
Initiative:  +0 __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: 20  /  Fortitude:  14  /  Reflex:  12  /  Will:  13

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +7 (longsword)  Damage:  1d8+4
Ranged Basic Attack:  +6 (javelin)  Damage:  1d6+4

Racial Traits: 
Height 6'4"  Weight 260 lb.  Size:  Medium
Speed:  5 squares  Vision:  Normal
Languages:  Common, Draconic
Alignment:  Lawful Good
Skill Bonus:  +2 History, +2 Intimidate (already included)

Dragonborn Fury:  When you are bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.
Draconic Heritage:  Your healing surge value is equal to one quarter of your maximum hit points + your CON modifier (already included)
Dragon Breath:  You can use Dragon Breath as an encounter power.

Racial Power:  Dragon Breath (Dragonborn Racial Power)
As you open your mouth with a roar, the deadly power of your draconic kin blasts forth to engulf your foes.
Encounter - Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Poison
Minor Action, Close blast 3
Hit:  1d6+1 damage

At-Will Power: Holy Strike (Paladin Attack 1)
You strike an enemy with your weapon, which ignites with holy light.
At-Will - Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Hit:  1d8+4 radiant damage.  If you marked the target, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage roll.

At-Will Power: Valiant Strike (Paladin Attack 1)
As you bring your weapon to bear, the odds against you add strength to your attack.
At-Will - Divine, Weapon
Attack:  +7, +1 per enemy adjacent to you vs. AC
Hit:  1d8+4 damage.

Encounter Power:  Radiant Smite (Paladin Attack 1)
Your weapon glows with a pearly luminescence.  Enemies shrink from its pure light, especially creators of supernatural evil such as demons and devils.
Encounter - Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Hit:  2d8+5 radiant damage.

Daily Power:  Paladin's Judgment (Paladin Attack 1)
Your Melee attack punishes your enemy and heals an ally.
Daily - Divine, Healing, Weapon
Hit:  3d8+4 damage, and one ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.
Miss:  One ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

Class Features:
Channel Divinity:  You can use this special Divine power once per encounter.
Divine Challenge:  You can use Divine Challenge as an at-will power.
Lay on Hands:  Once per day as a minor action, you can use the Lay On Hands power.

Paladin Power:  Lay On Hands (Paladin Feature)
Your divine touch instantly heals wounds.
At-Will (Special) - Divine, Healing
Special:  You can use this power once per day.
Minor Action, Close burst 3
Effect:  You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points.  Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge.  You must have at least one healing surge left to use this power.

Paladin Power:  Divine Challenge (Paladin Feature)
You boldly confront a nearby enemy, searing it with divine light if it ignores your challenge.
At-Will - Divine, Radiant
Minor Action, Close burst 5
Target:  One creature in burst.
Effect:  You mark the garget.  The target remains marked until you use this power against another target, or if you fail to engage the target (see below).  A creature can be subject to only onemark at a time.  A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.  While a target is marked, it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include you as a target.  Also, it takes 6 radiant damage the first time it makes an attack taht doesn't include you as a target before the start of your next turn.  On your turn, you must engage the target you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it.  If none of these events occur by the end of your turn adjacent to it.  If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can't use Divine Challenge on your next turn.  You can use Divine Challenge once per turn.

Channel Divinity Power:  Divine Strength (Paladin Feature)
You petition your deity for the divine strength to lay low your enemies.
Encounter - Divine
Minor Action, Personal
Effect:  Apply your STR modifier (+4) as extra damage on yoru next attack this turn.

STR 18  (+4)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 10 (+0)
INT 11 (+0)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 16 (+3)

Acrobatics (DEX) / n / -4
Athletics (STR)  /  n  / +0
Bluff (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Endurance (CON)  /  yes  /  +2
Heal (WIS)  /  yes  /  +6
History (INT)  /  n  /  +2
Insight (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Intimidate (CHA)  /  yes  /  +10
Nature (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Perception (WIS)  /  n  /  +1
Religion (INT)  /  yes  /  +5
Stealth (DEX)  /  n  /  -4
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +3
Thievery (DEX)  /  n  /  -4

Feat:
Healing hands:  When you use the Lay on Hans power, the target heals extra damage equal to your CHA modifier (already included).

Gear:
Armor:  Plate armor, heavy shield.
Weapon:  Longsword, javelin (3).  Your javelins have a rnage of 10/20.
Holy symbol of Bahamut.
Gold:  5 gp

Second Level:
Hit Points increase to 33
Bloodied increase to 16
Healing Surge increase to 9

Feat:  Enlarged Dragon Breath:  When you use Dragon Breath, you can make it blast 5 instead of 3.

Utility Power:  Martyr's Blessing (Paladin Utility 2)
You step into an attack made against an adjacent ally.
Daily - Divine
Immediate Interrupt, Close burst 1
Effect:  You are hit by the attack instead.

3rd Level:
Hit Points:  increase to 39
Bloodied:  increase to19
Healing Surge:  increase to 10

Ecounter Power:  Staggering Smite (Paladin Attack 3)
With a mighty swing, you knock your enemy back.
Encounter - Divine, Weapon
Hit:  2d8+4 Damage, and you can push the target 1 square.
[/spoiler]

Note:  These are not Essentials Characters, and will be more compatible with the "Old 4th Edition" Player's Handbook 1 than they will be with the Essentials "Red Box" and Heroes of... books.  They are still 4th Edition characters, though, and should work just fine alongside Red Box characters.

[spoiler Template]

Fluff Text.

Hit Points: xx __________
Bloodied: xx  /  Healing Surge: xx  /  Surges per day: xx
Initiative:  +x __________  Action Points: __________

Defenses:
AC: xx  /  Fortitude:  xx  /  Reflex:  xx  /  Will:  xx

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +x (x)  Damage:  xdx+x
Ranged Basic Attack:  +x (x)  Damage:  xdx+x

Racial Traits: 
Height x'x"  Weight xxx lb.  Size:  Medium
Speed:  x squares  Vision:  x
Languages:  Common, x
Skill Bonus:  x

x:  x

Racial Power:  x (x Racial Power)
fluff text
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt, Personal
Effect:  x

At-Will Power: x (x Attack 1)
fluff text
Attack:  +x vs. AC
Hit:  xdx+x damage.

At-Will Power: x (x Attack 1)
fluff text
Effect: 

Encounter Power:  x (x Attack 1)
fluff text
Effect: 

Daily Power:  x (x Attack 1)
fluff text
Daily - Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Effect: 

Class Features:

STR 1x  (+x)
CON 1x (+x)
DEX 1x (+x)
INT 1x (+x)
WIS 1x (+x)
CHA 1x (+x)

Acrobatics (DEX) / n / +x
Arcana (INT)  /  n  /  +x
Athletics (STR)  /  n  / +x
Bluff (CHA)  /  n  /  +x
Diplomacy (CHA)  /  n  /  +x
Dungeoneering (WIS)  /  n  /  +x
Endurance (CON)  /  n  /  +x
Heal (WIS)  /  n  /  +x
History (INT)  /  n  /  +x
Insight (WIS)  /  n  /  +x
Intimidate (CHA)  /  n  /  +x
Nature (WIS)  /  n  /  +x
Perception (WIS)  /  n  /  +x
Religion (INT)  /  n  /  +x
Stealth (DEX)  /  n  /  +x
Streetwise (CHA)  /  n  /  +x
Thievery (DEX)  /  n  /  +x

Feat:

Gear:
Armor:  x
Weapon:  x
Gold:  x gp

Second Level:
Hit Points increase to x
Bloodied increase to x
Healing Surge increase to x

Feat:  x

Utility Power:  x (x Utility 2)
fluff text
Daily - Healing, Martial
Minor Action, Personal
Effect:  You gain xdx+x temporary hit points.

3rd Level:
Hit Points:  increase to x
Bloodied:  increase to x
Healing Surge:  increase to x

Ecounter Power:  x (x Attack 3)
fluff text
Hit:  xdx+x Damage.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
Welcome to the art of Dungeoneering :P;

I remember my first session XD, it didn't go well at all, I was all graph paper and unrelated miniatures, plus I had no idea how to DM properly. Don't worry you'll make it through allow me to give you tips, pointers and exotic ways to immerse players of the "New Age" era.

First off, you have to realize that DMing is an art that easily relates to being an author and game developer at the same time. Players of the New Age don't usually like anything that doesn't actual have visual acessories, and an XBOX is a machine that is supposed to entertain people, you're a living being, so you can obviously do better. I prefer to write my stories as they go, I also designed a program for Kobold Hall and it's successors.

So how can you immerse your players? What immerses a reader? Tragedies, Betrayal, Treachery, Romance, Extreme Descriptions and lots of obstacles that the readers need to read through to understand the next awesome scene. I myself use a player character, named Shrui, whom I've grown rather attached to, and use her background to think of scenes that would make everyone, mostly her, happy. Why? Because she over-emphasizes everything and turns stories of minor misery into ultimate tragedies.

So basically you need to be imaginative, when they get bored, move into overkill mode and pull something extreme or make something shady happen. Once my party got bored, I revealed 30 traps and made their target run away... they stopped being bored.
I am Blue/Black "The Red Dragon is pulverizing your friends..." -Me "Okay so I'm up here?" -Shrui "Yeah..." -Me "Okay I want to triple backflip down from the ceiling while holding my family's katana and drive it through the Dragon's head." -Shrui "Yeah you'll take a -15 because he's moving his head." -Me "Don't care, I try it anyway." -Shrui (Acrobatics Roll Succeeds) (Attack Roll Succeeds) "How much extra damage do I get for this attack?" -Shrui "It dies, you don't need to do an attack roll." -Me Evil Dungeon Master says, And now young adventurer... you die.