Converting 2e "Kits" to 4e

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone tried to do any conversion work of the 2e character "kits", ie specialty priests, for 4e? 

I had a beloved 2e specialty priest of Dugmaren Brightmantle (FR) that I was thinking of resurrecting.  But it's difficult to figure out a class/build - the original kit was not really damage focussed, it was more "utility" spell focussed (got things like Mend, Augury and Legend Lore for free), so I'm having trouble finding the right niche to rebuild him...  4e powers are hard to work around the old Vancian system.  Any help or discussion on how other kits or specialty priests have been converted would be much appreciated!
Utility spells, make him a Ritual Caster.  Beyond that just pick a class that sounds fun from the divine source and be flexible.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
Create themes to replace the kits. For spells that don't even seem to fit as utility powers, make them rituals. You could even restrict them to characters that have that theme or at least worship that particular deity if it suits you.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Has anyone tried to do any conversion work of the 2e character "kits", ie specialty priests, for 4e? 

I had a beloved 2e specialty priest of Dugmaren Brightmantle (FR) that I was thinking of resurrecting.  But it's difficult to figure out a class/build - the original kit was not really damage focussed, it was more "utility" spell focussed (got things like Mend, Augury and Legend Lore for free), so I'm having trouble finding the right niche to rebuild him...  4e powers are hard to work around the old Vancian system.  Any help or discussion on how other kits or specialty priests have been converted would be much appreciated!

Pacifist Cleric from Divine Power, Knight Hospitaler Theme from Dragon #399, and maybe a background in religion or Heal, with a bit of Ritual Caster if you don't already have it?

Most utility spells have become rituals, particularly those that normally don't have immediate utility.  Those that *do* have immediate utility tend to be either skill checks or utility powers.  And since the Pacifist Cleric is the least damage-oriented build, that might pique your interest

I'm not sure of the whole Dugmaren Brightmantle thing, but most of what isn't mechanics/spells is likely fluff, role-play, or skill checks in 4E.

Oh, and just to cover this aspect as well: HP in 4E is the overall health of a character -- physical, spiritual, mental, courage, etc. -- so even if a power deals damage, that damage can mean just about anything.  And while "reduced to 0 hit points" is often interpreted as a physical sort of death, upon DM approval it could easily be changed to disarmament, dismemberment, insanity, fleeing or whatever other sort of effect that renders the target combat-ineffective.  So you could effectively be an implement-using character who deals lots of damage during combat, and yet never actually physically kill anyone, just likely do anything from render them insane, helpless, permanently blind or disfigued or dismembered, etc.

EDIT: You might also consider checking out paragon paths (which I believe are evolved from prestige classes, which in turn had evolved from kits, correct me if I'm wrong), or do what bone_naga had suggested The basic idea is that
1. Backgrounds give, at most, a tiny mechanical advantage, usually with regards to skills or language
2. Themes grant a more significant mechanical advantage, typically a level 1 encounter power, a level 5 and a level 10 feature, as well as additional heroic tier alternative utilities
3. Paragon paths are specializations that emphasize a character's progress in terms of capability, granting new features and powers that otherwise wouldn't have been accessible in heroic tier 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Well, there is also the issue of your diety's sphere, his domain. My Monster Mythology says this god is one of basically Knowledge and Change or something like that, so you could take the domain feats in Divine Power for those domains. Power of Change gives a +2 to Thievery and if you use Recovery Strike you get a +1 to-hit with a power next turn. Power of Knowledge gives a bonus with Astral Seal and a +2 to History, etc. Sure Knowledge isn't bad either.
That is not dead which may eternal lie

Speciality priests are a pretty serious undertaking.

However, if you check out the Neverwinter book, you'll see a few 'Domains' for deity-specific warpriests, that's awefully close.    

I had a beloved 2e specialty priest of Dugmaren Brightmantle (FR) that I was thinking of resurrecting.  But it's difficult to figure out a class/build - the original kit was not really damage focussed, it was more "utility" spell focussed (got things like Mend, Augury and Legend Lore for free), so I'm having trouble finding the right niche to rebuild him...

You'll want to look into Rituals for utility-spells-equivalents (yes, I know there are 'utility' powers, and some old spell are there, too, but the stuff you mention are all rituals).  The nearest rituals to the three classic spells you mention are Make Whole, Hand of Fate, and (for a Cleric) Consult Mystic Sages (there's still a Legend Lore, but it uses the Arcana skill).  A Devoted Cleric build (PH1) would seem like a good place to start (ignore the PH1 advice about investing in STR).  You can't afford to invest too heavily in INT, but a 14 to start shouldn't be too burdensome, that'll help with the knowledge skills - Religion & Arcana, particularly.  You should also take Dungeoneering and Nature.    That should give you a pretty good sense of being devoted to a god of knowledge. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Thanks guys for the help.  I had pretty much come to the same conclusion that its more a matter of re-fluffing with my DM.  Just curious to see what/if other people had done to achieve the effect.

(Starting to lean towards Char Dev now...)  For those not as familiar with what I'm talking about, the specialty priest kits were similar to themes, in that it was a template of abilities that you kind of overlayed on the cleric class.  Other classes had kits like this too.  There were some granted abilities, and then as you progressed, you got some bonus abilities/spells as you went. 

In my example, Dugmaren "The Wandering Tinkerer" is the dwarven god of scholarship and invention, with a minor in change.  He embodies the experimental, progressive side of the dwarves.  His priests were seekers of knowledge for the sake of knowledge, and recovered lost dwarven lore, collected riddles and puzzles, etc.  They are tinkerers and experimenters with a dose of ADD, and have a penchant for half-baked ideas and unfinished projects.  The kit (build) gives you things like an additional language every other level, at certain levels you get a spell-like ability like "You can cast Legend Lore once per day for free", you can always cast priest/wizard scrolls of any level but with a certain % chance to backfire, and a couple other things.  The trade off is you can't turn undead, you can't multiclass, after a certain level you have to earn triple XP to advance, some things like that.  Much like an Essentials build - you give up some of the cleric's versatility in exchange for a more pre-defined progression.

I was thinking maybe instead of a cleric, I could use a bard or artificer as the base class, and just RP him as a devout follower of the deity.  Maybe use the Scholar theme, which gives the additional languages and access to some knowledge-type utilities.  Either class comes with Ritual Caster and a couple basic rituals; bard emphasizes the lore/riddles/secrets/puzzles/ADD aspect, while artificer emphasizes the tinkerer/inventor aspect.  Then just reflavor the powers a bit: Bard at-will Vicious Mockery is more like I pose a riddle or "fun fact" that so boggles the bad guy he takes a -2 on his attacks next turn, or Artificer 13 Barbed Automaton is "Hey guys check out this mechanical grain reaper I invented, looks like it works on bad guys too!"

Anyone else tried to do this kind of 2e conversion, or even things like 3e Prestige classes?

I was thinking maybe instead of a cleric, I could use a bard or artificer as the base class, and just RP him as a devout follower of the deity.  Maybe use the Scholar theme, which gives the additional languages and access to some knowledge-type utilities.  Either class comes with Ritual Caster and a couple basic rituals; bard emphasizes the lore/riddles/secrets/puzzles/ADD aspect, while artificer emphasizes the tinkerer/inventor aspect.  Then just reflavor the powers a bit: Bard at-will Vicious Mockery is more like I pose a riddle or "fun fact" that so boggles the bad guy he takes a -2 on his attacks next turn, or Artificer 13 Barbed Automaton is "Hey guys check out this mechanical grain reaper I invented, looks like it works on bad guys too!"

Sounds like you have exactly the idea right there.

Love sticking things like that in my Creative Character Build Collection...
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Sign In to post comments