Blackguard and Holy Symbols?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I currently have a  level 2 Dragonborn Blackguard; and just recieved a +1 holy symbol last night (both to Bahamut).  I noticed it's not adding the +1 attack/damage - no matter how I try it (either in the off-hand - or the holy symbol slot).

Blackguard can use holy symbols - so why doesn't it add bonuses anywhere?  Do they only work for holy priests - or do holy symbols not work like I thought?

Blackguards primarily make Weapon attacks. Holy Symbols are not weapons and are not useable with Weapon attacks.
Magic implements only add their bonus to implement powers, not weapon powers.  All of the default Blackguard powers aren't implement powers.  The only implement powers they get access to are daily powers picked from the larger Paladin list.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ah ha!  Thanks you two!

Actually one more question (that I already know the answer too - but asking anyway):  Basically, it's absolutely worthless to me - isn't it?    (other than a roleplaying thing)

Ah ha!  Thanks you two!

Actually one more question (that I already know the answer too - but asking anyway):  Basically, it's absolutely worthless to me - isn't it?    (other than a roleplaying thing)

Well if you multiclass into an implement-using class, you can use your Holy Symbol (I am assuming Blackguards are proficient with them).

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Or if you get more implement powers.  Or, since you said your blackguard got the holy symbol I'm guess it was loot or something, and that you didn't just go buy it yourself.  In which case I would talk to your DM about changing it to a +1 weapon of whatever type you use, because it could be your DM, like yourself, wasn't really aware that the blackguard doesn't use implement attacks often and he made a mistake planning the loot.
He's actually going off a pre-written module (for starters) to get back into the swing of DMing again...   But yeah, it was loot.  When we get back to civilization, I'll see about trading it in and see what happens... 

You can get Implement Daily powers on a Blackguard, but it's useless other than those (and for a traditionally-built Blackguard, there aren't many of those).  You should be able to persuade your DM to let you trade it for a magic weapon, which will actually be of use to you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.