Hephaestus, the Clever Artificer

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
A while ago I noticed an interesting trick that lets an artificer mimic a striker's damage feature.  I've done some tinkering and it looks like you can make a decent striker from an artificer|controller combo.  I'd be suprised if this reaches DPR king levels, but I'd be interested in seeing how far we can take it.  Here are the tricks I have so far.

Controlled Bursts

The Clever Control feats gives you an extra dice of damage per tier if you target at least two creatures but only hit one.  The artificer at will "Thundering Armor" has both a primary and secondary target, but only requires an attack roll against the secondary target.  This means Clever Control should hit each time the character hits with Thundering Armor.

Note that to use this trick, you must be a controller with the Thundering Armor power.  I'm using an artificer|controller hybrid as the artificer bring a few extra tricks to the build.

Off Action Damage
Powers that do damage without using a standard action are notoriously good for strikers.  I did a little searching and found the following interesting powers.

Artificer Powers
Level 3 Encounter:
Phantasmal Henchman (Interupt, Ranged, creates a flanking conjuration with a minor action attack)
Shocking Feedback (Interupt, Ranged Weapon, grants ally damage resistance)
Level 7 Encounter:
Debiliating Intercession (Reaction, Ranged Weapon, inflicts attack penalty)
Level 9 Daily:
Healer's Momentum (Reaction, Ranged Weapon, grants healing surge and temp hp)
Level 17 Encounter:
Arsenal Transferance (Reaction, Ranged, use artificer at will with Wis mod extra damage)
Level 23 Encounter:
Rejuvenating Intercession (Reaction, Ranged Weapon, grants boosted healing surge)
Level 27 Encounter:
Retribution Magnet (Reaction, Ranged Weapon, grants ally attack bonus)

Invoker Powers
Level 5 Daily:
Deluge of Blood (Reaction, Close Burst, dazes and deals ongoing damage)
Level 9 Daily:
Malediction of Rigidity (Minor, Close Blast, immobilizes and deals ongoing damage)
Level 13 Encounter:
Thunderous Rebuke (Reaction, Close Blast, pushes and deafens)
Level 23 Encounter:
Fateful Foresight (Interupt, Ranged, blocks use of target power for 1 round)

Psion Powers
Level 25 Daily:
Recall Agony (Reaction, Ranged, may deal ongoing damage)

Wizard Powers
Level 5 Daily:
Thunderstaff (Interupt, Melee Implement, stops and knocks back enemy who gets close to you)
Level 6 Utility:
Fire Shield (Daily, Minor , protects you with melee relation damage for an encounter)
Level 13 Encounter:
Arcane Chastisement (Reaction, Ranged, blocks follow up attacks on you or an ally for 1 round)
Level 16 Utility:
Flame's Protection (Encounter, Minor, protects you and allies with fixed melee retaliation damage for 1 round)
Level 23 Encounter:
Flaming Rebuke (Reaction, Ranged, can stun if used to counter a fire attack)

This gives the artificer enough encounter powers to get in off action damage every turn for up to 3 turns.  That's without counting extra off action damage from summons, zones, and sustainable effects.

Sigils
The artificer also has a number of daily spells that boost the damage output of a weapon or implement for an entire encounter.  These "sigil" spells can provide a sizable sustained DPR boost.  When combined with the archmage epic destiny, you could even pull out at least one of these every encounter.
Interested in a rambling collection of game ideas? Check out Schemes of the Dancing Chimera.
Level 1 Snapshot

Race: Genasi (Stormblood)
Class: Artificer|Wizard

Ability Scores with racial adjustments:
Strength 10 (+0)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Dexterity 11 (+0)
Intelligence 20 (+5)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 8 (-1)

HP: 27

AC: 15
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 15
Will: 12

Initiative: +0
Speed: 6

At-Will Powers:
L1:
Thundering Armor - Close burst 10, sends a pulse out from a party member to damage and push and enemy.  This will be our main source of standard action damage.
L1: Freezing Burst - Area burst 1 within 10.  This is what we'll use on enemies who try staying out of melee.  It's got a chance of triggering Clever Control and the slide can be used to put enemies where we want them.

Encounter Powers:
L1: Conduit of Ice - Ranged 10.  This gives us solid damage against an isolated ranged target.  It's also creates a temporary enemies only damage zone for little extra hurt.

Daily Powers:
LV1:
Icebound Sigil - Minor Action.  This lets use add 3 extra points of cold damage to every attack for an encounter.

DPR Estimates
Sustainable
Round 1: Use "Promise of Storm" as a minor action and "Thundering Armor" as a standard. 63.8% chance to hit for 17.5 damage (1d8 + 1d6 Clever Control + 1d8 Promise of Storm + 5 Int mod) = 11.4 damage.
Round 2: Same as round 1.
Round 3: Promise of Storm wears off, dropping damage to 8.6 (13 on hit).

Level 2

Feat: Blade Initiate - This will give you access to dagger implements which work well with your upcoming off action attacks.
Utility Power: Swift Mender - Being able to pass out an extra save as a minor action every encounter is very nice.  Shield is also good, but we've got other uses for our immediate actions.

Level 3

Encounter Power: Shocking Feedback - This gives us our first immediate action attack.  It's also lighting damage, so it gets boosted by Promise of Storm.

Level 4

Ability Scores: Con 17, Int 21
Feat: Superior Implement Training (Resonating Dagger) - This will up your at-will damage nicely.

Level 5

Daily Power: Grasp of th Grave - In addition to being a solid artillery power, this creates an ally friendly damage zone.

Level 6

Feat: White Lotus Dueling Expertise - This will give you a scaling accuracy bonus, acting as a slight upgrade to Versatile Expertise.
Utility Power: Summon Iron Cohort - This one's situational, but it does give you another body to bounce your thunder pulses off of.  Glowering Wrath is a strong alternative if you want to boost your pushes instead.

Level 7

Encounter Power: Debilitating Intercession - This gives you second immediate attack for more off action damage.

Level 8

Ability Scores: Con 18, Int 22
Feat: Coordinated Explosion - This gives your Thundering Armor a +1 to hit as long as an ally is within 10 of you.

Level 9

Daily Power: Mordenkainen's Guardian Hound - This conjuration gives you minor action attacks for an encounter.

Level 10

Feat: Echoes of Thunder - This gives an untyped scaling damage bonus as long as you keep hitting with thunder powers.
Utility Power: Slick Conconction - This let you slide allies.  This is get both for getting them into position for a thunder pulse and for setting off Agile Opportunist in Paragon.

DPR Estimates
Items: Resonating Dagger +3, Dragonshard of the Mage (heroic)
Sustainable
Round 1: Use "Promise of Storm" as a minor action and "Thundering Armor" as a standard for
18.6 damage w/ 73.8% chance of adding Echoes of Thunder effect [73.8% chance to hit (+16 (6 int + 5 level + 3 enhance + 1 expertise + 1 coordinated explosion) vs Fort) for 24.5 damage (1d8 + 1d6 Clever Control + 1d8 Promise of Storm + 6 Int mod + 3 enhance + 2 resonating dagger + 1 dragon shard)].  If an ally takes damage, Shocking Feedback triggers for 14.8 damage [75% chance to hit (+18 (6 int + 5 level + 3 enhance + 1 expertise +3 prof) vs AC) for 19.2 damage (2d4 + 1d8 Promise of Storm + 6 Int mod + 3 enhance + 0.74 Echoes of Thunder)].  Total estimated damage 33.3.
Round 2: Thundering Armor is up to 19.1 DPR due to Echoes of Thunder roll over (25.2 damge per hit).  Debiliating Intercession replaces Shocking Feedback for 11.2 damage (down to 14.7 on hit from loss of Promise of Storm).
  Total estimated damage 30.3.
Round 3: Switch to Conduit of Ice for 18.3 damage [72.4% chance to hit (+15 (6 int + 5 level + 3 enhance + 1 expertise) vs Reflex) for 24.74 damage (2d8 + 6 Int mod + 3 enhance + 1 dragon shard + 0.74 Echoes of Thunder + 5 EoT damage)].
Round 4: Without Promise of Storm or Echoes of Thunder, Thundering Armor is down to 11.6 (15.5 on hit).
Round 5: Echoes of Thunder chain starts again, raising us to 12.1 damage with Thundering Armor (16.2 on hit).

---

Here's a sample build I whipped up in the offline character creator.

Quick Level 30

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Heph, level 30
Genasi, Artificer|Wizard, Academy Master, Archmage
Hybrid Artificer: Hybrid Artificer Will
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Tome)
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Arcane Admixture Power: Thundering Armor
Quickened Spellcasting: Thundering Armor
Archspell: Lightning Sigil
Background: Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 22, Dex 13, Int 28, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 41 Fort: 40 Reflex: 42 Will: 38
HP: 149 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 37

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +23, Religion +33, Dungeoneering +21, Arcana +37

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Endurance +23, Heal +16, History +28, Insight +16, Intimidate +21, Perception +16, Stealth +16, Streetwise +15, Thievery +16, Athletics +17

FEATS
Level 1: Clever Control
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Blade Initiate
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Resonating dagger)
Level 8: Coordinated Explosion
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Arcane Admixture
Level 12: Lasting Frost
Level 14: Echoes of Thunder
Level 16: White Lotus Enervation
Level 18: White Lotus Riposte
Level 20: Reserve Maneuver
Level 21: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 22: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 24: Robust Defenses
Level 26: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 28: Mark of Warding
Level 30: Oncoming Storm

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Winged Horde
Hybrid at-will 1: Thundering Armor
Reserve Maneuver: Confusion
Hybrid encounter 1: Conduit of Ice
Hybrid daily 1: Punishing Eye
Hybrid utility 2: Swift Mender
Hybrid encounter 3: Shocking Feedback
Hybrid daily 5: Bigby's Icy Grasp
Hybrid utility 6: Force Ladder
Hybrid encounter 7: Debilitating Intercession
Hybrid daily 9: Mordenkainen's Guardian Hound
Hybrid utility 10: Slick Concoction
Hybrid encounter 13: Arcane Chastisement (replaces Conduit of Ice)
Hybrid daily 15: Lightning Sigil (replaces Bigby's Icy Grasp)
Hybrid utility 16: Flame's Protection
Hybrid encounter 17: Arsenal Transference (replaces Debilitating Intercession)
Hybrid daily 19: Hellfire Sigil (replaces Punishing Eye)
Hybrid utility 22: Opportunistic Enchantment
Hybrid encounter 23: Rejuvenating Intercession (replaces Shocking Feedback)
Hybrid daily 25: Life-Shock Sigil (replaces Hellfire Sigil)
Hybrid encounter 27: Retribution Magnet (replaces Rejuvenating Intercession)
Hybrid daily 29: Prismatic Wall (replaces Mordenkainen's Guardian Hound)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Vengeful Resonating dagger +6, Accurate staff of Ruin +6, Siberys Shard of the Mage (epic tier), Shimmering Mindpatterned Armor +6, Healer's Brooch +6, Executioner's Bracers (epic tier), Zephyr Boots (epic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), Opal Ring of Remembrance (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Baldric of Valor (epic tier), Tattoo of Vengeance (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Interested in a rambling collection of game ideas? Check out Schemes of the Dancing Chimera.
Reserved for extra notes and alternate builds.
Its really worth it?

+1d6/2d6/3d6 isnt enough damage to reach a striker baseline.
The at-will isnt that great by itself, even with the increased damage, since there is leaders with at-wills that are far more powerful then this one.

In fact a Direct the Strike will still cause more damage then you using this, if you have atlast 1 striker with descent MBA.

And since this only targets 1 enemy, its not that amazing on a controller role. And giving +1 AC for 1 ally is far from a descent use of a leader standard action.

Please explain to me how this build is better or atlast as powerfull as a standard leader. Im failing to see how this is better then a standard eneabling warlord or ardent for example.

Its really worth it?

As opposed to copying and pasting a DPR king build?  Maybe not.  For me the value come from taking an idea that hasn't been fully fleshed out yet and seeing how far it can go.

+1d6/2d6/3d6 isnt enough damage to reach a striker baseline.

It's the exact same progression as Hunter's Quarry and Warlock's Curse.  It also doesn't need to carry the entire striker baseline by itself any more than quarry and curse make up the entire baseline by themselves.

In fact a Direct the Strike will still cause more damage then you using this, if you have atlast 1 striker with descent MBA.

Not neccesarily.  Not all striker damage features are MBA friendly.  This combo also has the advantage that you make the attack from any ally, not just those with strong MBAs.  That gives you considerable targetting flexibility.

And since this only targets 1 enemy, its not that amazing on a controller role. And giving +1 AC for 1 ally is far from a descent use of a leader standard action.

I'm not using it to fill the leader or controller role, I'm using to fill a striker role.  Were I playing up the controller side, I'd be focusing more on a "Thunderglaive" style build and exploiting the push it provides.

Please explain to me how this build is better or atlast as powerfull as a standard leader. Im failing to see how this is better then a standard eneabling warlord or ardent for example.

Again, I'm not trying to make it an exceptional leader.  I'm looking to take classes intended for other roles (leader and controller) and seeing how they can be bent to a new role (striker).  The fact the resulting character has some leader ability is more a perk than the primary goal.

It's the exact same progression as Hunter's Quarry and Warlock's Curse.  It also doesn't need to carry the entire striker baseline by itself any more than quarry and curse make up the entire baseline by themselves.

Thing is, that's not all Rangers and Warlocks have.  Rangers have a SLEW of multiattacking powers that can absolutely shred other enemies up, even disregarding Hunter's Quarry.  Warlock's Curse can be buffed to silly amounts (Warlock|Paladin with Hands of Hadar and Vile Resonance goin' will deal up to 7d10+INT modifier extra damage with their Curse at Epic level), certainly more than a mere 3d6.

Even better, both of these features can trigger off of out-of-turn attacks.

It's not just "I can deal 3d6 extra damage" that determines how well of a Striker you are.  Hell, that basically amounts to an average of 9-10 damage on every hit, which is quite a nice boost, but not on a level you'd think.

Warlock/quarry are only 1/round.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Warlock/quarry are only 1/round.

Quarry might be, but I know for sure Warlock's Curse isn't anymore.
Sneak and Curse are 1/turn, Quarry remains 1/round.
Rangers have a SLEW of multiattacking powers that can absolutely shred other enemies up, even disregarding Hunter's Quarry.

That's why I looked into off action attacks.  An artificer can fill nearly all it's encounter slots with immediate action attacks starting at level 3.

It's not just "I can deal 3d6 extra damage" that determines how well of a Striker you are.  Hell, that basically amounts to an average of 9-10 damage on every hit, which is quite a nice boost, but not on a level you'd think.

I understand it's not the only factor, but it seemed like enough of a starting point to catch my interest.

Let me put it this way, given the clever control combo as a base, how would you optimize the character?  "Optimize this build" or "optimize within constraints" is a common enough request on these boards.

The best optmization you can do with cleaver control combo is not using it.

I was expecting you to show me math that supports your characters, and all you did was say that 3d6 is what makes a striker do its role... either its a joke or you really doesnt know anything about optmization...

You are spamming a weak at-will without any real nova.
Rangers are good because they use multi-attack and off-action attacks at the same time.

Twin-strike + off-action and multi-attack dailies and encounters is what makes rangers good.
To be a striker you need either multi-attack and stacks of extra damage and/or vulnerabilities, or the charge combo.

To be a descent optmized DPR you need to reach 30/60/90 DPR, counting miss on each round of the encounter.
I fail to see how your build can produce those numbers in a 5-6 rounds encounters.

Probably you will cause less them half of the required damage by epic.
+3d6 is a joke in epic, horned helm gives it to ANY charge attack, and you can have it and the entire charge combo... without using a weak at-will with no real support.

Sorry to say that but your build isnt a striker.

I will look to see if i can find anything more useful to use Cleaver Control, but im not sure its possible to otpmize a striker based on it.

I'm just not seeing it. Yeah it is a cute use of a feat, but having to hybrid into a controller to do it is terrible.
I will look to see if i can find anything more useful to use Cleaver Control, but im not sure its possible to otpmize a striker based on it.

It's definitely very useful to certain Controller classes (Invoker + Divine Bolts, anyone?), but it's not something to build a specific combo around unless every power you possessed followed this rule.

The problem is that there is only one at-will power that makes it work as a "combo" and its a pretty weak at-will with no dpr potencial, and cleaver control is a "dpr" increase feat.

I agree that its not a bad feat for some builds, but its not a good feat to base the entire build around.

Alcetis: Its not the hybrid controller that makes it useless, its the fact that you need to use a at-will with weak damage potential to make it works every round.
 If the problem was just the classes, it would be possible to work around it, but the way it is, its a useless combo.

Like you said... cute... but useless.

For what it's worth, I think it's a nifty trick, and while it's not enough to base a build around, spending a feat to up the damage on one of your at-wills is, while not exactly a marvelous way to build your character, at least not godawful, especially if one or two of your encounter powers could also qualify. That said, as I and others have mentioned, it's just not enough to be a cornerstone of a build, even if it is a cute trick.
I would agree with you Rayje if it was a good at-will... but i really dont like thundering armor.
Using your turn on Magic Weapon is many times more efficient IMO.
If you don't like Thundering Armor then you haven't played an Artificer. Killswitch takes the Bonus At-Will instead of Heroic Effort because there are times when Thundering Armor is a better use of a Standard than either Magic Weapon or Direct the Strike.
Alright, I've got Heroic Tier sketched out.  Check out the level 10 entry for a full DPR estimate.  It looks like the build can sustain striker DPR (over 30) for the first 2 rounds through Promise of Storm and it's immediate action attacks.  Damage does drop significantly after that though.

I'll test out Paragon next.  Right now I'm thinking Academy Master for the PP.  Malec-Keth Jannissary would add 1d4 cold damage, allowing for potential frost cheese.  I can pull that off with Academy Master plus Arcane Admixture, put that won't carry over to immediate attacks.
If you don't like Thundering Armor then you haven't played an Artificer. Killswitch takes the Bonus At-Will instead of Heroic Effort because there are times when Thundering Armor is a better use of a Standard than either Magic Weapon or Direct the Strike.

If i remember well it takes Bonus At-will because by the time it was created there isnt Heroic Effort to as an option.

I would take heroic effort over Thundering Armor any time.
There is much better options to "push 1" then thundering armor...
If the secondary attack was a close burst 1 around the primary target affecting all enemies, it would be better, but it just affects 1 enemy...

Alright, I've got Heroic Tier sketched out.  Check out the level 10 entry for a full DPR estimate.  It looks like the build can sustain striker DPR (over 30) for the first 2 rounds through Promise of Storm and it's immediate action attacks.  Damage does drop significantly after that though.

I'll test out Paragon next.  Right now I'm thinking Academy Master for the PP.  Malec-Keth Jannissary would add 1d4 cold damage, allowing for potential frost cheese.  I can pull that off with Academy Master plus Arcane Admixture, put that won't carry over to immediate attacks.

You need to reach 30 DPR at heroic in ~6 rounds taking into account the hit/miss chances.
 Most of descent strikers do it or more on at-will spamm without use of encounters/dailies.
 If you do more damage on the first 2 rounds, you need to do enough damage overall in the 6 rounds to maintain 30 DPR. (atlast 180 damage in 6 rounds)

I think Malec-Keth would be better if your going for striker.  All your off action powers will get a boost, doubled by vuln.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Maybe Malec-Keth to add lightning + that head that turns half-lightning damage on radiant (brilliant sun or something) + cold whetstones

Then find a party member that can apply radiant vulnerability, get frost-cheese by yourself, and do something about lightning vulnerability.

Maybe with this a you can reach 60 dpr in paragon, and with one or two epic tricks you can do 90 at epic.
You don't really need for Malec-Keth for the radiant damage a Crusader's Weapon would do the trick (turns half damage radiant), from there the character's only a multiclass away from going Morninglord.

I guess it breaks down like this:

Acadmey Master: grants +1 accuracy bonus on all follow up attacks, boosts at will damage by 5, has an at-will boosting encounter power, grants a free reroll per encounter.
Malec-Keth Janissary: can add 1d4 cold damge to all attacks, allowing frost cheese on all attacks
Morninglord w/ Crusader's Weapon: vuln 10 on follow up attacks, can be combined with vuln 5 cold to main attacks via arcane admixture.
Here's a quick breakdown are my current estimates for level 20 with the Academy Master.

Round 1: Minor to use Promise of Storm, follow up with Learned Boost on Thundering Armor for 50.8 damage [82.7% (w/ Refined Recall reroll) at 24 (7 int + 10 level + 4 enhance + 2 expertise + 1 coordinated explosion) vs Fort, 57.5 damage on hit (1d8 + 2d6 Clever Control + 2d8 Learned Boost + 2d8 Promise of Storm + 7 int + 4 enhancement + 3 Fundamental Mastery + 3 superior implement + 4 item bonus + 2 implement focus + 3 dragon shard + 2 gloves of ice), 102 crit].  If any allies are damaged, use Arsenal Transferance as an immediate reaction to apply Thundering Armor again for 43.6 damage [77% (w/ 82.7% chance of previous hit granting combat advantage, +1 attack, and -1 to target's fort) at 24 vs Fort, 54.2 damage on hit (lose 2d8 from learned boost, gain 4.1 from lasting frost vulnerability and 1.6 from Echoes of Thunder), 91.7 crit].  Total expected damage 94.3.
Round 2: 96% chance at least one volley of Thundering Armor hit before our turn.  Use it again for 43.2 damage [77.5% (w/ +3.8 buffed accuracy),  55.2 damage on hit (expected frost vuln up to 4.8 and Echoes up to 1.9), 92.7 crit].  If any ally is hit, use Arcane Chastisement through off hand Frost dagger as an immediate reaction for 25.9 damage [75.4% (w/ ~2.3 accuracy boost from last TA hit) at 23 vs Will, 32.5 damage on hit (2d8 + 7 int + 4 enhancement + 2 implement focus + 3 dragon shard + 2 gloves of ice + 3.9 frost vulnerability + 1.6 Echoes), 61.5 crit].  Total expected damage 70.6.
Round 3: 94.5% of lasting frost being up.  Use Thundering Armor again for 35.2 damage [73.5% (w/ +3 buffed accuracy) hit chance, 46.1 damage on hit (lost Promise of Storm, expected frost vuln down to 4.7, echoes down to 1.6), 61.5 crit].  If any ally is hit, use Shocking Feedback through off hand Frost dagger as an immediate reaction for 25.9 damage [75.4% (w/ ~2.2 accuracy boost from last TA hit) at 23 vs Will, 23.2 damage on hit (2d4 + 7 int + 4 enhancement + 2 gloves of ice + 3.7 frost vulnerability + 1.5 Echoes), 40.2 crit].  Total expected damage 53.2.
Round 4:  93.5%chance of lasting frost being up.  Use Thundering Armor again for 35.2 damage.
Round 5: 73.5% chance of Use Thundering Armor again for 34.1 damage [73% (w/ +2.9 buffed accuracy) hit chance, 44.6 damage on hit (expected frost vuln down to 3.7, echoes down to 1.4), 75.1 crit].

So it's still falling short toward the end, but has a solid opening.

Make the math, see if it can do 30/60/90 in a 6 round fight against enemies of same lvl.
If you can its a passable striker, if not it needs rework.

The numbers you showed are showing a ~56 dpr in a 6 round fight.
If you are doing this without any daily power, its almost acceptable as a striker on paragon.
See if at epic you can reach 90.

Edit: Oh and remember that it should do 60 by mid-paragon not by lvl 20, because 20 is almost epic.
 30 -> ~lvl5
 60 -> ~lvl15
 90 -> ~lvl25

Don't forget, he can also heal, and presumably some of that stuff buffs.

So even if he doesn't achive true striker levels, it's still a good build.  (dunno if i'd call it great, but definatly passes the "good" mark).

guides
Power
my builds

Agree with you mellored.

The problem is that he have only one encounter heal.

Of course he can pick some utilitie healing powers and all, but strikers mostly use those utilities for survavibility or extra nova with instances/etc...
Its not a bad trade by itself, its just that by default he just brings 1 heal/encounter, and each utilitie that he grabs that heals is one less utilitie that can be used to defend yourself or increase nova.

Of course the healing can be used as a way of self defense. It will not reduce the debuffs taken but on the other side it can also help allies.

I still dont like this at-will but we know that anything with enough standard optmization can reach striker dpr, so its passable.  (A weak at-will (IMO) being used just because of 3d6 extra damage, when its not charge friendly, neither area or multi-attack isnt the best power to spam around.)

All that was done to make this an acceptable dpr could be done with an Artificer/Striker better.
Well, you can even do a Artificer/Controller with multiclass Swordmage, intelligent blademaster, and charge with pure mba, and achive a better dpr then with this clever control combo. o_O
Thats why i dont like it.

But its playble in paragon with enough standard support (vulnerability exploit).

Never compare things to charge builds unless that build can fly, and ignores Immobilize, Slow, Daze, and Prone.  Artificer's can easilly take the striker route ... Boosting from Sigils, Minor Action attacks from Daily Summons, Interrupts, and the new trap powers definitely lend themselves to high 3 Round DPR.  That being said ...

Artificer-as-striker (in fact, any leader class as a striker) reeks of low level 3.x battle clerics that wasted 3 rounds of buffs on themselves to bring themself up to fighter damage.  I've seen someone use Lightning Sigil to boost their Magic Missile damage while sitting next to a Battlefield Archer, it's just silly selfishness.  Commander's Strike, Magic Weapon, Spirit Infusion, Righteous Brand, Staggering Note, Ire Strike, and most Rune Priest at-wills all have an equivalent to a Striker Feature built into them.  Artificers aren't Warlords or Bards, but they have enough tools to be amazing tactical leaders ... or average strikers.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.