GU boneyard journey

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been thinking about playing a build like this for a while now, any ideas on improvements would be greatly appreaciated

Creatures - 29

3 viridian emissary
4 Splinterfright
4 Boneyard Wurm
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Civilized Scholar
3 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
4 Mindshrieker
Merfolk Looter

Other - 9

2 Bonehoard
4 Mulch
3 Memory's Journey

Lands - 22

9 Forest
9 Island
1 Hinterland Hardbor
3 Evolving Wilds

SB

3 Creeping Renaissance
3 Naturalize
3 Ratchet Bomb
2 Bonehoard
Bramblecrush
1 Memory's Journey

im still thinkering with this deck but it doesnt seem to be fast enough to be competative
anybody?
try solemn's, cultivates or maybe explores to get the mana out there. or you could use mycosynth wellsprings.
try solemn's, cultivates or maybe explores to get the mana out there. or you could use mycosynth wellsprings.

Cultivate and Explore are not valid options in Standard at the moment.

For that matter, neither is Evolving Wilds.

Don't really see the point to BoPs in the deck.  Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm both need creatures in the GY to not immediately die, so what exactly are the BoPs supposed to help ramp into?

You might want to run the Flashback mill 3 card.  Or Forbidden Alchemy.

3 Creeping Renaissance in the sideboard is too much.  Card is really more of a one of.

You are going to want some removal.  Maybe Beast Within.

Memory's Journey isn't worth running.  Stuff that goes into the GY goes into the GY.  Just draw more stuff from the library instead.

Solemn Simulacrum seems like a good idea

Forbidden Alchemy i liked but wouldn't Armored Skaab be better? it's a creature and it gets stuff into my graveyard... Armored Skaab could replace merfolk looter?

BoP i figured would help me get the mana to start poring my library into my graveyard. plus it's a flying blocker that adds to creatures in graveyard after the 1st few turns

Beast Within seems like a great plan though, could even use it to get BoP of some other small creature into my graveyard for bigger wurm & splinterfright. it could replace Memory's JourneyMemory's Journey was to get my spells back into my library, because even if i tossed them into my graveyard i could still use them as they have flashback..

Mycosynth Wellspring it good but the deck has no way to sac it again
Forbidden Alchemy i liked but wouldn't Armored Skaab be better? it's a creature and it gets stuff into my graveyard... Armored Skaab could replace merfolk looter?

Problem with Skaab is you get a 1/4 creature.  With Alchemy, you get to choose which of the 4 cards you keep, which means cards like Splinterfright, the Wurm, and Bonehoard.  Personally, I'd keep the looter and replace the scholar first.  2 drop versus 3 drop, so comes online a turn sooner.  And it has 1 power and can block Stromkirk Noble.
You're going to want to ditch Evolving Wilds and get 4 of the G/U duals. If you're dumping all of those creatures straight into your graveyard anyway, you might as well run Skaab Ruinator.  It's the best card I can think of. Yes, it doesn't fit that well with Boneyard or Splinter, but it's generally going to be bigger, faster, and have evasion. At the very least if it's not prudent to play it from your grave you can leave it there to power up the others. I would drop Mirror-Mad for it. I don't think the card is worth it. In order for it be effective at all, you need to have another creature out, and you're still still taking chances that it won't just dump a couple of land cards and hit one of the other two. It's also pretty slow and fragile.  I haven't play tested it myself however, so I can't really say. I would drop the birds too for removal (Beast within is practically made for this deck) and to really streamline it.

Just some suggestions.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
what about some of the exile a creature from the yard blue dudes?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Isn't that just bad synergy with Bonehoard?
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
Suprised Nobody Has Mentioned Labratory Maniac Yet!

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Suprised Nobody Has Mentioned Labratory Maniac Yet!

I run a pretty similar list but I never get that close to milling myself. Laboratory Maniac is fun but not really practical unless you had a reliable way to keep milling or drawing cards. I recommend that the original list runs Kessig Cagebreakers those things have won me the game several times. I also run Deranged Assistant for extra mana ramp and self mill.

Isn't that just bad synergy with Bonehoard?

probably... i'm not thinking, it was a long day of work

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

why in the world would you play Ambush Viper? and why in the world wouldn't you play Dream Twist. my friend runs a UG Boneyard and he uses Gnaw to the Bone. i've seen him hold off double Phyrexian Obliterators for a few turns by Gnawing, generally will net him around 12 life. Looter is way too slow and a horrible investment of 2 mana, especially when you could fill his slot with Dream Twist or Visions of Beyond? here's my take on UG Boneyard:

some people like Think Twice in here, personally i prefer Visions. also i do not run Bonehoard cause it's an investment of 6cmc which imo is too steep
why in the world would you play Ambush Viper? and why in the world wouldn't you play Dream Twist. my friend runs a UG Boneyard and he uses Gnaw to the Bone. i've seen him hold off double Phyrexian Obliterators for a few turns by Gnawing, generally will net him around 12 life. Looter is way too slow and a horrible investment of 2 mana, especially when you could fill his slot with Dream Twist or Visions of Beyond?

why in the world would you NOT run a two drop instant speed deathtouch creature? It not only feeds bonehoard, but ambushes unsuspecting attackers (hence the name, I can only assume)

You seem to think Bonehoard is a 6 mana investment, but I think you fail to realize it brings out a token and equips itself as soon as you play it, which is pretty much the 4-drop equivalent of Boneyard Wurm and Splinterfright.

Also, Looter might be slow, but why not use a creature that feeds your grave while letting you draw to let you control what gets tossed into there. 
valid point about Bonehoard; i always forget about the Living Weapon. perhaps i'll try to find a spot for it. i still don't like Ambush Viper, as it's basically a green Doom Blade. granted, it feeds Splinterfright and Wurm, but i find there are better uses for 2 mana in the deck than saving it to flash in a viper and chump. as for Looter, i still think he's a poor investment. Dream Twist is much more effective. between the Alchemy and Visions, you're never not going to get what you need, and the Dream Twist is just the most effective way to ensure your creatures are threats when they drop.

the one inclusion i'm debating cutting is the Assistant. he provides a little bit of ramp, but i'm not sure he's worth the 2 mana. i'd prob rather run some Leaks/Negates or Silent Departure or Think Twice
valid point about Bonehoard; i always forget about the Living Weapon. perhaps i'll try to find a spot for it. i still don't like Ambush Viper, as it's basically a green Doom Blade. granted, it feeds Splinterfright and Wurm, but i find there are better uses for 2 mana in the deck than saving it to flash in a viper and chump. as for Looter, i still think he's a poor investment. Dream Twist is much more effective. between the Alchemy and Visions, you're never not going to get what you need, and the Dream Twist is just the most effective way to ensure your creatures are threats when they drop.

But if you don't own Dream Twist (or enough copies of it) and have Looters, it can't hurt to have an aditional creature in there just as Wurm/Freight/Hoard fodder. 
And a green doom blade isn't too terrible if you need some sort of creature removal and can't invest much money into it - I personally threw it into my deck because a friend of mine uses Unbreathing Horde and Ambush Viper is just about my only way to actually destroy it.

I know the Bonehoard point was a valid one. It's why I've always enjoyed throwing it into decks that often see a lot of creatures in the grave, or when I'm playing in a multiplayer game since it can get hectic big easily, and if needed can just be tossed around between weaker creatures that don't have the Wurm/Freight's ability. I actually recently had it suggested to run Invisible Stalker in the deck since it's a Hexproof creature that's unblockable, and gets really nice with Bonehoard equipped.  

My take for Boneyard Milling

i like this list but im still not sold on forbidden alchemy without black mana sources, will run mulch in its place.

also -1 Phyrexian Metamorph for another Mirror-Mad Phantasm because running just 1 could be bad, what if its the last card in your deck when you use the ability? 

Mindshrieker can replace merfolk looter, Mindshrieker can mill faster and is a threat as well

what SB do you use for this list?

so the list i will be testing will look something like this :
 [deck]
4 Boneyard Wurm
4 Deranged Assistant
4 Ambush Viper
4 Mindshrieker
4 Splinterfright
4 Kessig Cagebreakers
2 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
3 Armored Skaab

3 Bonehoard
4 Mulch

10 Island
9 Forest
4 Hinterland
[/deck]
I'm pretty shure the correct number of Mirror Mads is neither 1 nor 2 but in fact 0.

BUG from Mane, States results are fun top8.

What you do to get value from Alchemy is run black too, yaaay.

I agree with Mulch though, Alchemy and Mulch are some of the best digs ever, any deck that can abuse both should try to.
i like Solemn Simulacrum or Acidic Slime over the mirror mads
-2 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
-1 Boneyard Wurm

+3Solemn Simulacrum or +2 Solemn Simulacrum & +1 Acidic Slime ?

how about this for SB ?
2 Acidic Slime - kills things
Beast Within - kills other things
negate - stops killer of this deck & DoJ
nihil spellbomb - kills this deck 
spellskite - spell catcher

EDIT
ok so new deck now looks like this

To NiimuraJun, I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Ambush Viper won't help much against Unbreathing Horde because the damage is prevented and so the deathtouch doesn't matter.
To NiimuraJun, I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Ambush Viper won't help much against Unbreathing Horde because the damage is prevented and so the deathtouch doesn't matter.

Yes, I actually remembered that after posting and rememebered that that was one of the reasons I had decided to throw in Beast Within.

Yes, I actually remembered that after posting and rememebered that that was one of the reasons I had decided to throw in Beast Within.

it doesnt change the fact that Ambush Viper is awesome removal for attacking creatures, and it goes to the graveyard directly after use so it adds to the creatures in graveyard count, its defnitly a 4-off in this deck

it doesnt change the fact that Ambush Viper is awesome removal for attacking creatures, and it goes to the graveyard directly after use so it adds to the creatures in graveyard count, its defnitly a 4-off in this deck

To each their own, though. Everybody plays things differently. Some may like Ambush Viper, some may prefer other cards over it in this kind of deck.
I'm trying to figure out why Mirror Mads aren't considered amazing in a deck like this, and I just can't see it. Seems as though that would be a great card to have at that slot.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I'm trying to figure out why Mirror Mads aren't considered amazing in a deck like this, and I just can't see it. Seems as though that would be a great card to have at that slot.

Because it costs 7 mana to use an effect that may or may not do anything at all. It's slow and dies to essentially everything. 

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Because it costs 7 mana to use an effect that may or may not do anything at all. It's slow and dies to essentially everything. 

its ability also allows it to dogde potentially leathal spells or damage while putting it back into play.. the abilty is at worst blink and at best it gets a lot of creatures into the graveyard while blinking
7 mana might be steep but your opponent would have to use 2 removal spells to get rid off it if you only had 2 mana open. with more mana it can block without dying and still avoid spells or abilities while feeding your boneyard type spells.