DOL will RATE YOUR DECK!!

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ive been playing EDH for a while now, and feel that I have a fairly strong grasp on the format. Recently, I have developed a system for rating EDH decks. This is a 5 point system, based on the following aspects of a deck:

Versatility (able to answer a variety of threats and/or perform well under various circumstances)
Longevity (able to recover from sweepers and perform well through the lategame with card advantage, recursion, etc..)
Effectivity (able to get the cards you need reliably and how effective your strategy is for winning)
Quality (overall quality of your card selection; ie: Demonic Tutor is better than Diabolic Tutor)
Surprise Factor (able to swing games in your favor quickly and/or win out of nowhere)

I rate each on a scale of 1 to 10, and then take the average to get the overall rating of a deck. Just link me to your deck list and I will tell you how I think it adds up.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
I am game as well

Glissa Deck

Bolas Deck

I play all colours at one point but Black, Red and Blue are my favourites. Canadian, Eh! Insanity is my theme! dummy2205's Comprehensive Index of Generals
I haven't updated the lists in these posts since I started playing with them, but there largely the same so bring it!

Merieke
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Lin Sivvi

Horde of Notions
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
Rate my rubina deck found in the compendium!

3DH4LIF3

Wow, already so many requests! I will attempt to cover all of these throughout the night.

Also note: My judgment may seem harsh, but I have very high standards. A rating of 4-6 might seem low, but to me that is on par (which is good). 1-3 is low, while 7-9 is solid and 10 is exceptional... I dont expect any deck to get a full 10 overall.

@ Willmsy: Mono black is difficult, mostly because of its lack of answers. However it makes up for it with the sheer number of tutors which enable players to get what they need.

Versatility: Nevin's disk is a good card to have in a color that has very few answers to enchantments. Oblivion Stone simply outclasses it, and All is Dust is another addition that could help you answer threats that mono black typically has problems with. Some of black's strenths include sac effects, which can help get around shroud, indestructible, etc... Consuming Vapors fits this slot good, but you could also use a few extras imo. Notable inclusions are Butcher of Malakir, Grave Pact, Barter in Blood and Fleshbag Marauder. A plus is that you are including a few specific cards for graveyard hate. Helldozer and Strip Mine give you some land destruction as well, although there are a handful of cards like Tectonic Edge that could do the job and fit into your mana base. Ill give you a rating of 6 on Versatility.

Longevity: It truly saddens me to not see Decree of Pain in a mono black list. It is one of the best cards black has late game. Beacon of Unrest is another fantastic black card for late game that appears to be missing. I also feel that your mana base is a little short to keep you going strong in the late game, even with the mana artifacts you are packing. You are however packing plenty of life gain with Drain Life, Exsanguinate, Corrupt, Consuming Vapors, and you are getting extra draw from Phyrexian Arena and Syphon Mind. Phyrexian Reclemation is pretty solid too. Ill give you a 7 on Longevity.

Effectivity: You have several tutors, with the only notable ones missing being Vampiric Tutor and Beseech the Queen. You also have a couple different ways to increase your mana income to make those X drain spells huge. Seems pretty effective. Ill give you a 6 on Effectivity.

Quality: There are a handfull of cards in your list that leave me wondering the question "why?" I already mentioned Oblivion Stone over Nevin's Disk (although I would probably run both in mono black). Onyx Mage, Fog of Gnats, Hypnotic Specter, Mirri the Cursed, Sign in Blood all seem pretty janky to me, along with quite a few of your artifacts. There is a solid base to the deck, but there is too many cards that you would not want to draw most of the time. Ill give you a 3 on Quality.

Surprise Factor: Its really really hard to have that surprise factor without any instants. This is the only category where your deck almost completely whiffs. You do have the potential for a high powered Exsanguinate, which can not only swing games in your favor, but can also win out of nowhere. Unfortunately, that is about it. I am gonna give you a 1 on Surprise Factor.

so that is 23/50, which gives your deck an overall rating of 4.6
Lets see whatcha got!! (i know ima be dinged for suprise factor with this one....)

I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
@ Luna: can you organize your list? Trying to go through your list with everything all mixed up is giving me a headache (or making it worse I should say).

@ Gongshow:

Versatility: You have pretty much everything that I would expect in a bant deck. Unfortunately no Hallowed Burial, Aura Shards, Hinder or Spell Crumple, but that is okay. Land destruction is the one thing you are really lacking (outside of Woodfall Primus). Tectonic Edge, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter and Strip Mine could all fit into your mana base and give you the answers you need in tight situations. I would also fit in Indrik Stomphowler and/or Wickerbough Elder to give those creature tutors a little more versatility. I am gonna give you a 7 for Versatility.

Longevity: Consecrated Sphinx, Sun Titan, Crucible of Worlds, Angelic Destiny, Rhystic Study and all of your planeswalkers should give you plenty of reach and CA to keep you going strong in the late game. Outside of maybe Stroke of Genius, Fact or Fiction and other cards of that nature, you pretty much have it down. Maybe include Genesis to get a little more reach. The only real weakness I see is that you are only running 35 lands, and I can see you struggling to make land drops when you dont draw into your ramp. I am gonna give you an 7 for Longevity.

Effectivity: With Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Prime Time, Green Sun, Primal Command, Summoner's Pact, War Gate, and all your card draw, you should be able to grab pretty much everything you need. Worldly Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Survival of the Fittest and Fauna Shaman are all notable tutors that you are missing. Also, the overall strategy however seems a little less focused, and probably could use some tweaking to get everything working towards a particular strategy. I am gonna give you a 6 for Effectivitiy.

Quality: There are a handfull of cards in your build that leave me scratching my head. Angelic Overseer, Geist of Saint Traft, Hero of Bladehold, and a few other cards just seem like filler to me. I am sure some of these cards could be replaced for something better... perhaps some of the cards I already mentioned above? I am gonna give you a 5 for Quality.

Surprise Factor: You only have a handful of instants, which is not terrible, but its also does not provide much in the way of a surprise factor. Akroma comes out swinging and you do get use out of the planeswalkers when they hit the board, so that counts for something. I am gonna give you a 4 for Surprise Factor.

That is 29/50, which is a 5.8 overall.

BTW: I just realized it takes me about an hour to do a full analysis of a single deck, so its unlikely that I will be able to do all of these in one night. Ill do my best to keep up though.
I think there should be some kind of criteria that acocunts for the ability to not get facerolled by a tuned deck in the early turns. More people need cheap answers/disruption.
@willmsy- no necropotence?

Also, o-stone is vital for black to deal with troublesome non-creature perms. But it doesn't out class disk. Nevs disk lets you play walkers and blow up the field without a 9 mana investment- which is why I suggest you play all the walkers you can.

3DH4LIF3

Well, I'm curious as well what others think of my decks, so I'll give u my Ur-dragon to critique. Oh, and one thing first, it's not a typical Ur-dragon deck.

My EDH deck: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26329625/Another_Ur-Dragon_deck&sort_order=ASC
Organized my deck for you.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
I know you currently have a rather large backlog of decks, but when you can get around to it

Ive been playing EDH for a while now, and feel that I have a fairly strong grasp on the format. Recently, I have developed a system for rating EDH decks. This is a 5 point system, based on the following aspects of a deck:

Versatility (able to answer a variety of threats and/or perform well under various circumstances)
Longevity (able to recover from sweepers and perform well through the lategame with card advantage, recursion, etc..)
Effectivity (able to get the cards you need reliably and how effective your strategy is for winning)
Quality (overall quality of your card selection; ie: Demonic Tutor is better than Diabolic Tutor)
Surprise Factor (able to swing games in your favor quickly and/or win out of nowhere)

I rate each on a scale of 1 to 10, and then take the average to get the overall rating of a deck. Just link me to your deck list and I will tell you how I think it adds up.

Wow..you really got a big brass pair, don't you?  I have disagreed with you enough to know that your metagame and idea of what cards and decks work is miles from mine, which makes your ranking system highly subjective.

Wow..you really got a big brass pair, don't you?  I have disagreed with you enough to know that your metagame and idea of what cards and decks work is miles from mine, which makes your ranking system highly subjective.

I don't agree, either, my friend; all ranking systems are subjective. It's impossible to be familiar with every meta everywhere, after all. Still, it was interesting to hear what what someone else had to say. Like everything on the 'net, take it well salted. 
For a laugh, here are some of my decks. Goodness, typing these things out takes FOREVER.

The Mimeoplasm
Show

24 SPELLS
Nightmare Void
Tortured Existence
Tombstone Stairwell
Oversold Cemetery (may get cut for Pernicious Deed)
Grim Discovery
Living Death
Dread Return
Life // Death
Life From the Loam
Regrowth
All Suns' Dawn
Darkblast
Maelstrom Pulse
Sylvan Library
Deep Analysis
Jace, Memory Adept
Birthing Pod
Survival Of the Fittest
Mystical Tutor (will eventually become Intuition)
Vampiric Tutor
Diabolic Intent
Demonic Tutor
Cruel Tutor
Buried Alive

37 CREATURES
Consecrated Sphinx
Jace's Archivist
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Mulldrifter
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Wonder
Big Game Hunter
Bone Shredder
Corpse Connoisseur
Fleshbag Marauder
Golgari Thug
Grave Titan
Massacre Wurm
Necroplasm
Nekrataal
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Shriekmaw
Stinkweed Imp
Withered Wretch
Acidic Slime
Avenger of Zendikar
Eternal Witness
Fauna Shaman
Genesis
Golgari Brownscale
Golgari Grave-Troll
Indrik Stomphowler
Krosan Tusker
Primeval Titan
Sylvan Ranger
Terastodon
Vorinclex, Voice Of Hunger
Wood Elves
Woodfall Primus
Yavimaya Elder
Duplicant

38 LANDS
Bojuka Bog
Breeding Pool
Cabal Coffers
Cephalid Coliseum
Dakmor Salvage
Dust Bowl
Faerie Conclave
Gilt-Leaf Palace
Llanowar Wastes
Misty Rainforest
Overgrown Tomb
Polluted Delta
Polluted Mire
Remote Isle
Strip Mine
Thawing Glaciers
Treetop Village
Tranquil Thicket
Underground River
Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth
Verdant Catacombs
Wasteland
Watery Grave
Yavimaya Coast
Forest (5)
Island (4)
Swamp (5)

I am also considering if I want to cut a spell for Liliana Of the Veil. I have been told she may be "le nuts" in this deck... or just another good card.

In case you were wondering, YES it is an EDH Dredge deck
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
Doran, the Siege Tower
DECK LIST

56 SPELLS
Regrowth
Yawgmoth's Will
All Suns' Dawn
Land Tax
Sylvan Library
Abundance
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena
Enchantress's Presence
Harmonize
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Garruk Wildspeaker
Liliana Vess
Sorin Markov
Karn Liberated
Sterling Grove
Enlightened Tutor
Idyllic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Wrath of God
Hallowed Burial
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Condemn
Swords To Plowshares
Oblation
Beast Within
Maelstrom Pulse
Vindicate
Honden Of Life's Web
Honden Of Night's Reach
Honden Of Cleansing Fire
Bitterblossom
Sigil Of the Empty Throne
Opalescence
Defense of the Heart*
Oath Of Druids*
Replenish
Open the Vaults
Seal Of Primordium
Seal Of Doom
Aura Of Silence
Leyline of the Void
Leyline Of Sanctity
Expedition Map
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Mimic Vat
Crucible Of Worlds
Overgrown Estate
Exsanguinate
Privileged Position
Debtors' Knell
Awakening Zone
Pernicious Deed

5 CREATURES
Blightsteel Colossus
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Iona, Shield Of Emeria
Terastodon
Novablast Wurm

LANDS
Bojuka Bog
Brushland
Caves of Koilos
Command Tower
Dust Bowl
Forbidden Orchard
Forbidding Watchtower
Godless Shrine
Grasslands (eventually will become a "real" fetch)
Horizon Canopy
Scrubland
Llanowar Wastes
Marsh Flats
Maze of Ith
Murmuring Bosk
Overgrown Tomb
Rishadan Port
Serra's Sanctum
Spawning Pool
Stirring Wildwood
Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge
Temple Garden
Treetop Village
Verdant Catacombs
Wasteland
Forest (4)
Plains (4)
Swamp (4)

YEP, it's an OATH deck. The nuts hand can put down a turn two Oath & give you a creature to trigger it, leading to a turn three bomb. This isn't Oath/Combo and actually can win some attrition battles without Oath running the show.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
The link to both of my lists is in my sig under Wort EDH. I have a Kemba deck as well. They're nowhere near complete but I'd appreciate the critique, when you can get to it.
I'm new to the forums, and would really appreciate help on any of my deck lists, as those who live near me and play Magic is a small pool to draw from. I play EDH and Standard, and enjoy both Sealed and Draft in Limited. Wort EDH In standard I play U/w Delver/Illusions.
I am gonna take a bit here to address some of the criticism I have received in this thread:

I think there should be some kind of criteria that acocunts for the ability to not get facerolled by a tuned deck in the early turns. More people need cheap answers/disruption.

That kinda falls under both versatility and longevity.

Also, o-stone is vital for black to deal with troublesome non-creature perms. But it doesn't out class disk. Nevs disk lets you play walkers and blow up the field without a 9 mana investment- which is why I suggest you play all the walkers you can.

I feel that most players who want to sweep the board probably arent going to want to wait a full turn cycle to be able to actually do it, nor do they want to risk giving opponents an opportunity to blow up the disk before they get to use it. I agree that the disk is good with all of those planeswalkers, but I dont see it being as good as O-Stone. Maybe just a difference of opinions, and I am fine with that.

Its one thing to feel that this thread is subjective (which it is depending on who you play with, what you play against, whether you play mutiplayer or duel, etc...), but its another thing entirely to go out of your way to insult me because you dont agree with me. Next time you feel the need to make such a post, do yourself and everyone else a favor by simply ignoring that urge.

As for the rest of these decks, I will do my best to get around to them. Its likely I will be able to get Silk (and possibly whoever was next) done tonight. As I already stated, it takes a lot of time and effort to fully analyze a deck and I can't get them all done in the blink of an eye... at least not very effectively. Thanks for your patience.
@DOL- you don't play disk as an immediate answer the same way you play other sweepers. And while you can play o stone that way, it too is best when you use it to save your board and blast the rest- also not an immediate type of use.

3DH4LIF3

Its one thing to feel that this thread is subjective (which it is depending on who you play with, what you play against, whether you play mutiplayer or duel, etc...), but its another thing entirely to go out of your way to insult me because you dont agree with me. Next time you feel the need to make such a post, do yourself and everyone else a favor by simply ignoring that urge.

I genuinely apologize for my post.  It was off topic and unnecessary.  I take umbrage at this thread and your presumptuous premise, but all i did was vent my thoughts in a way that had was off topic.  I should not have commented at all.

I take umbrage at this thread and your presumptuous premise

Why? Seems harmless enough to me. (presumptuous as all ****, but harmless.)

I want to dole out ratings too. Kicking myself for not thinking of it first. 
I just updated my Ulasht deck and would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

I take umbrage at this thread and your presumptuous premise

Why? Seems harmless enough to me. (presumptuous as all ****, but harmless.)

I want to dole out ratings too. Kicking myself for not thinking of it first. 

I batted the idea back and forth with the decklist compendium. Rating each deck categorically rather than numerically, but thought better of it. I didn't want to offend or alienate (or show any potential ignorance about the format!). But here people solicit the rating, so no worries.

3DH4LIF3

Sure why not. If you ever get around to it, quote this mesage please!
My Deck
Grow old or die trying.
@DOL- you don't play disk as an immediate answer the same way you play other sweepers. And while you can play o stone that way, it too is best when you use it to save your board and blast the rest- also not an immediate type of use.

I have won a fair share of games by slow playing around an early game disk and watching the game tempo die down till I stableize.  It's not like a damnnation where you use it immiditley.  It is also a great political card.  IE you attack me I blow up your creatures.  I know it is a matter of opinion but when I started the disk was a great silver bullet cause I started playing mono black.  When revised was the core set.  So I feel it is way better than O stone.  

In mono-K I think it's risky at best to take this strategy.  Other colors have better ways of recurring the disk.  other than Beacon of Unrest, I can't even think off hand of another way to get the disk back on the field in black.  I don't know, because i've never played mono-black, but I've gotta agree with DOLZ here.  Having said that, my new favorite combo is disk + darksteel forge + unwinding clock.

I have won a fair share of games by slow playing around an early game disk and watching the game tempo die down till I stableize.  It's not like a damnnation where you use it immiditley.  It is also a great political card.  IE you attack me I blow up your creatures.  I know it is a matter of opinion but when I started the disk was a great silver bullet cause I started playing mono black.  When revised was the core set.  So I feel it is way better than O stone.  

Oblivion Stone is generally better and here's why:

*Disk can never be used the turn it enters without another card to help.
*Oblivion Stone can be cast and used with 8 mana... meaning it's actually able to blow it in an emergency after sand bagging it in hand.

Oblivion Stone hits Planeswalkers (normally a relevant fact in your favor).
Oblivion Stone can choose to protect a specific permanent or two.
Oblivion Stone allows you to still play artifact lands, Disk would blow up your Artifact lands.
Nevinyrral's Disk enters the battlefield tapped, which WILL normally draw fire your way if there is an aggro player moving in position to kill someone

Disk is a great card for decks that want to play Planeswalkers or selective answers the same way things like Pernicious Deed, Austere Command, and Void are. Missing specific classes of cards is handy, if your deck is designed to take advantage of what it misses.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

And on an aside, I am generally surprised that Jokulhaups isn't played more in dual or tri colour red decks as it's "Leave enchantments alone" philosophy can be handy.
All the decks that I've played the haups in either had better options for sweeps or couldn't recover as quickly from it. Looking back, Incendiary Command should have been a modal version of the haups- destroy all lands; creatures; artifacts; discard draw effect.

And I'm with mixmaddness on the disk. Comparisons between it and o stone are tenuous, the two are played very differently

3DH4LIF3

All the decks that I've played the haups in either had better options for sweeps or couldn't recover as quickly from it. Looking back, Incendiary Command should have been a modal version of the haups- destroy all lands; creatures; artifacts; discard draw effect. And I'm with mixmaddness on the disk. Comparisons between it and o stone are tenuous, the two are played very differently

You actually can't print hops as modual in mono-red.

Destroy all creatures appears in white and black
Destroy all lands appears in red and white
Destroy all artifacts appears in red, white, and green.

Red does get global effects that can hit tons of types of permanents at one time, however it doesn't comfortably get modual spells that can just flat destroy creatures.

A modified modual is possible as:

Choose two:

Destroy all artifacts, Destroy all lands, each player discards their hand and draws as many cards as they discarded this way, or CARD NAME deals 13 damage to each creature.

However a spell that good would have a super high mana cost. Catastrophe is a choose one and only has two of those modes and it's costed at SIX mana. Austere Command similarly can only do a couple of the modes and is costed at six. To do a better version of Austere Command (which is essentially what this spell would be), would have to start at 6, but would likely be costed at 7 or 8 mana.

So, i feel unloved because I have received no comments on my decks... LOL. I guess I should post a couple more of the list.

Random aside, I am up to 14.5 IRL decks. I have to build a mana base for deck 15 (Grimgrinnnnnn).

The full team:

Sygg, River Cutthroat (UB aggro)
Doran, the Siege Tower (Oath deck)
Treva, the Renewer (Life gain & tokens)
Isperia the Inscrutable (Caw-blade)
Kresh the Bloodbraided (Jund)
The Mimeoplasm (Dredge/Living Death)
Selenia, Dark Angel (Dead Guy Ale/Angelgeddon)
Edric, Spymaster of Trest (Blue, Green Faeries)
Rith, the Awakener (Zoo/Big guy geddon/Stompy)

Sharuum the Hegemon (Time Sieve Combo)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Enchantress, with a side of theft)
Saffi Eriksdotter (Ramp)

Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer (Boros Aggro)
Damia, Sage of Stone (Infect)
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born (Zombie Tribal)

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Yea.... I am behind on things and with my going to chicago for a PTQ this weekend, I likely wont be getting around to many (if any) before next week.

See you in a couple days, Ong.
Yea.... I am behind on things and with my going to chicago for a PTQ this weekend, I likely wont be getting around to many (if any) before next week.

See you in a couple days, Ong.

I will wear a hat, and try to remember to bring my decks with me... we can play Por (spanish for) Funzies (fun-zees).

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

All the decks that I've played the haups in either had better options for sweeps or couldn't recover as quickly from it. Looking back, Incendiary Command should have been a modal version of the haups- destroy all lands; creatures; artifacts; discard draw effect. And I'm with mixmaddness on the disk. Comparisons between it and o stone are tenuous, the two are played very differently

You actually can't print hops as modual in mono-red.

Destroy all creatures appears in white and black
Destroy all lands appears in red and white
Destroy all artifacts appears in red, white, and green.

Red does get global effects that can hit tons of types of permanents at one time, however it doesn't comfortably get modual spells that can just flat destroy creatures.

How do you determine what red gets comfortably as modal spells? there are, what? less than a half dozen mono-red modal spells? Hardly a good sampling of what red can do modal-ly

A modified modual is possible as:

Choose two:

Destroy all artifacts, Destroy all lands, each player discards their hand and draws as many cards as they discarded this way, or CARD NAME deals 13 damage to each creature.

However a spell that good would have a super high mana cost. Catastrophe is a choose one and only has two of those modes and it's costed at SIX mana. Austere Command similarly can only do a couple of the modes and is costed at six. To do a better version of Austere Command (which is essentially what this spell would be), would have to start at 6, but would likely be costed at 7 or 8 mana.

Red can destroy creatures. Fissure, Aftershock and to a lesser extent Capricious Efreet and Dark Temper. It just doesn't happen often. Thats why a rare/mythic rare modal command would be the perfect place for such a spell. (oh yeah, and Cinder Cloud and Devastation, Diaochan, Artful Beauty... There are other destroy creature effects in red beyond these, but most are conditional)

Do I think that the modes I suggested would have stepped on Austere's toes? Yes, its probably why the red command was what it was (though I'd really like to know why it wasn't an instant! because of the draw? BAH! it should have been an instant!!!!)

could it cost 6? Sure, that would be aggressively costed much the way Austere was aggressively costed for its flexibility. Do I think wizards would do that? nah... is more like it.

3DH4LIF3

Okay, here's who I am:

A person who actually looks at what R & D does now, not what they have done in the past.

Since Time Spiral, they have set cleaner restriction on the color pie.

Red removal is random

Chaos Warp
Warp World

or it conditional

Incinerate
Dark Temper

or BOTH
Capricious Efreet

Dark Temper is only a hard removal spell if you control a black permanent... meaning it is essentially a flex cost black spell. It's sort of like Sedraxis Alchemist is really a blue card with a black cost.

Red doesn't mass remove creatures unless:

It's on a spell like Obliterate
It's by direct damage Chain Reaction or Inferno
It's in a red+ spell Void

That's the way things are right now. It could change, but they won't be doing modual spells that mass wipe creatures in red until they do

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

You do realize you essentially just said that wizards won't do modal mass removal in red until they do modal mass removal in red. Is that a no duh statement or what?

Look, I don't care who you are. And I don't care what modern color pie is. They constantly adapt what colors can do. Just look at into the core. How long has red been exiling artifacts instead of destroying them? Not a lot of that going on since time spiral. So whatever on modern color pie proclivities. I wasn't suggesting that they print red mass removal that destroys creatures in every set, just that the haups would make an awesome modal spell- mainly because incediary command sucks.

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments