Werewolf

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now that we have had the vampire as a character class, does anyone know if we will ever get the werewolf as a character class?
Now that we have had the vampire as a character class, does anyone know if we will ever get the werewolf as a character class?

As a class, not sure - but there is a Werewolf and Wererat theme in Neverwinter campaign guide.

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/

Earlier this year they revealed that they were testing a class that would switch roles in the middle of battle, going from a Defender to a Striker as the battle wore on. There was a lot of speculation that this was going to be a Werewolf build for Heroes of the Feywild.

This rumour was quashed at GenCon, where it the class was revealed to be a Barbarian build (method of release unconfirmed, to my knowledge).

Not that this kills the idea of a Werewolf class. If they ever do a Heroes of Nature book, I would expect to see a Werewolf there.

As a class, not sure - but there is a Werewolf and Wererat theme in Neverwinter campaign guide.

This BTW works great, especially when combined with a shifter.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

And Barbarian. Rages can easily be shifts as well.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Also, one of my favorite contributions from the Essentials line was the weapon-usable powers from the sentinel druid.

Use any race you wish as a base (shifters do work very well) and build a PHB2 druid.  Choose the weapon powers for the non beast form required ones, and focus as much on Wild Shape as you wish.  Instant werewolf.

Were-themes from the NWCG only add to the fun.

The added bonus: you have genuine choice in how your werewolf functions in (and out) combat, rather than several non-choices from a very short list. 
Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.

The added bonus: you have genuine choice in how your werewolf functions in (and out) combat, rather than several non-choices from a very short list. 

Well that cant be a good thing people are afraid and annoyed by niggling details and choices beyond the outer most flavor levels right?
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Some people, yes...

But I'm just here to talk about Werewolves.
Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.
Some people, yes...

But I'm just here to talk about Werewolves.

There arent a lot of well good werewolf movies out there but did see one in spite of being full of anachronisms I rather liked called "Ginger Snaps Back" ... heheh.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

To appeal to more Twilight fans!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

While I don't have the dire hatred many do towards the Vampire class (has some cool stuff), I'm still not sure it should be its own class; becoming vampiric does not wipe your memory (the 11th Ranger who becomes vampiric etc).
I think the theme route would have been a better route to go with the vampire. It works very well for both the wererat and werewofl in the neverwinter book.

I'm currently playing a 6th lvl human knight pack outcast and it's very fun. Right from first level you get an at-will wolf transformation that is usable in combat. At 5th you gain free combat advantage, and 10th you gain some skill bonus's. You can also choise some very nice werewolf utilities. There is a daily regenerate power when you're bloodied, and 10th lets you go full on werewolf and you get speed/dmg/skill boosts for an encounter.

To appeal to more Twilight fans!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

While I don't have the dire hatred many do towards the Vampire class (has some cool stuff), I'm still not sure it should be its own class; becoming vampiric does not wipe your memory (the 11th Ranger who becomes vampiric etc).

1. Such a character would multiclass or rebuild as a hybrid, and
2. Not even sure that's possible with in the game rules anyway, without becoming an NPC.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
One of my favorite "werewolf movies" is Harry Potter and the prisoner of Askerban.
When Lupin turns he is not some huge muscle boung gorilla he is scrawny and scraggelly.

Wolves are not strong, wolves are mean and nasty. A werewolf should not look like he can trow a car he should look like he wants to rip your throat out.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
One of my favorite "werewolf movies" is Harry Potter and the prisoner of Askerban.
When Lupin turns he is not some huge muscle boung gorilla he is scrawny and scraggelly.

Wolves are not strong, wolves are mean and nasty. A werewolf should not look like he can trow a car he should look like he wants to rip your throat out.  

Well wolves are big lean mean dogs that fight as a team unless they are just testing dominance where threat and nerve are more important than tooth and claw (actually all species of dog are specifically genetically direct derivative of the grey wolf - yes even the itty bitty chijuajua) 

There stamina is quite incredible and they still have a maximum burst speed about twice human (though we may reach our maximum faster so we have a chance if safety is close)

Sure, we'll get a werewolf class eventually.  We can already have a Vyrolka Vampire with Vampire Heritage (a Vampire race, Vampire class, with Vampire feats); we obviously need to be able to play a Longtooth Shifter, Werewolf, Pack Outcaste (Werewolf race, WereWolf class, Werewolf theme).
Right?Undecided

I mean, you don't really have a fully-supported character concept until your race, class, theme and feats are all the same thing...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I mean, you don't really have a fully-supported character concept until your race, class, theme and feats are all the same thing...

Well it does allow one to evoke a lot of nuanced distinctions ... either finding one that matches your visualization best or optimizes hardiest 

I can easily make a "werewolf" by using the correct race-class combo.

BAM! Barbarian Shifter. 
I would only consider playing a D-Werewolf.
Thank you all for the advice. It has been very helpful. Now I am off to have a go at building my own Werewolf.
I've actually been building a character on a similar idea.
I went with Gnoll because well they are a giant dog. Made him a scout and took the claw feat so his hands are weapons and then multiclass into barbarian at some point.

It works really well for the feral wolf angle which is how i'm playing him(its an evil campaign so it fits).
(actually all species of dog are specifically genetically direct derivative of the grey wolf - yes even the itty bitty chijuajua) 

That's not exactly what the research is saying. Have a read. Pretty close but simplified.

www.mnh.si.edu/GeneticsLab/StaffPage/Mal...
I went with Gnoll because well they are a giant dog. Made him a scout and took the claw feat so his hands are weapons and then multiclass into barbarian at some point.

A note: Gnolls aren't dog-men, they're hyena-men.  Hyenas are not very closely related to dogs at all (they're actually more closely related to cats.)  A walrus is more closely related to a dog than a hyena is.
There's a chick in my office I call The Werepig; maybe I should stat her up.
The Hengeyokai is coming out this month, which is shapeshifter I believe. Racoon Dog and Dog subraces could with a slight fluff adjustments pass as werewolves with ease. Maybe fox too, a smaller tricker werewolf. I never understood the whole it shapes into the same type of three forms, animal, hybrid and human, but the fluff in the past emphasises its not a werewolf. What's the difference?

BTW isn't packout cast just humans and shifter, maybe halfelves or halforcs?

Oh Vryloka could be reasonably refluffed as were wolves given that they have a racial utility power that allows them to become blood wolves. Plus they don't even drink blood so switch the fluff from Bloodpact to pawpact wouldn't hard.
Oh you can even oddly create a Changeling werewolf by going Changeling Monk Chameleon with a Shifter Outcast Racial pp in the same party. Changeling takes the hybrid wereform with his disguise power and fluffs it as using his claws and teeth when he strikes with unarmed monk attacks.
Plus they don't even drink blood so switch the fluff from Bloodpact to pawpact wouldn't hard.

Moonpact?

Earlier this year they revealed that they were testing a class that would switch roles in the middle of battle, going from a Defender to a Striker as the battle wore on. There was a lot of speculation that this was going to be a Werewolf build for Heroes of the Feywild.

this will have a defender aura similar to the knight, then you have rage powers that shut off your aura and give you bonus damage until the end of the encounter

this is stuff ive heard from friends of friends, i am not a playtester. but take it for what you will 
this will have a defender aura similar to the knight, then you have rage powers that shut off your aura and give you bonus damage until the end of the encounter

The Berserker in HotF (change from Defender to Striker when Bloodied)?

This is what I was thinking aswell. It'd be too easy if the new barbarian could just rage whenever he feels like it. "knight already in the party, well I guess i'll rage now... RAWR!" I'll admit it could be the other way, allowing them to rage at-will or once per encounter. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm thinking I might make a longtooth shifter, fury blackguard, pack outcast. Or that but new barbarian instead of blackguard.

I had always felt that there were so many different ways to make a vampire character well for that very reason. A high lvl character who becomes a vampire but is still heroic can multiclass. A player who wants to be a vampire from lvl 1 has many options, class, race, heritage feats. Any of those options or combination there of would evoke a vampiric feel. It all depends on how you approach it in character creation.

This is what I was thinking aswell. It'd be too easy if the new barbarian could just rage whenever he feels like it. "knight already in the party, well I guess i'll rage now... RAWR!" I'll admit it could be the other way, allowing them to rage at-will or once per encounter. 

Hatta on another thread said it becomes a Striker when it uses a Rage power.
I was just theorizing, I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong. Infact I think I did say something like that...
I was just theorizing, I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong. Infact I think I did say something like that...

Totally, me too, I'm on your page, homes.
i think your missing what i meant, you cant rage 1/encounter you rage for the rest of the encounter, after you use one of the rage powers, (diffrent from the normal barbarian) you cannot go back to defending until you rest i think this makes it a good tactical choice
i think your missing what i meant, you cant rage 1/encounter you rage for the rest of the encounter, after you use one of the rage powers, (diffrent from the normal barbarian) you cannot go back to defending until you rest i think this makes it a good tactical choice

Gotcha, start out as a Defender, get pissed off, and get all Striker on everyone's ass?

Gotcha, start out as a Defender, get pissed off, and get all Striker on everyone's ass?

more or less, if your the partys only defender this could go horribly wrong however....

more or less, if your the partys only defender this could go horribly wrong however....

I find the Defender thing a bit overrated.
I hate the vampire class.

it would have done better as a theme.

the were creatyre would also do better as a theme especially since there are multiple were creatures in DND.

the following:
Werewolf
Weretiger
wereserpent
werebear  
wereshark

and these are off the top of my head.            
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Sign In to post comments