Alchemists

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

Moonglove Harvester -
Creature - Human Alchemist
, , Put a harvest counter on target basic land you control: Put an artifact token named Healing Potion onto the battlefield with “: Sacrifice Healing Potion: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player.”
1/1

So, I don't feel like making up comp rules for harvest counters, but the concept would be something along the lines of poison counters.  Once any land reaches three or more harvest counters the controller of the land sacrifices it.  The flavor of it would be that different alchemists can take from the land, but once enough of the resources are taken, the land dies and produces nothing.  Alchemists take the herbs and other plants from the basic lands, and make their potions with them.  Harvest counters control the number of potions that can be created at any given time, or, that would be the intent.

Something.

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Not all alchemists take from the land. Artifacts and creatures would be neat too.
Trying to do too much for a common.

This. An activated ability that makes a token that has an activated ability is more complicated than you'd see on most rares. Plus, keeping track of a bunch of counters spread across all your lands sounds like a bookeeping nightmare. If you do use counters on lands as a resource, just do 1 counter per land.

If you want it at common, I suggest making it an ETB ability. "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a harvest counter on a basic land you control without a harvest counter on it. If you do, you gain 3 life."
Doesn't moonglove harm instead of heal?

Lace with Moonglove, Moonglove Winnower, etc. 
[spoiler Quotes] You have a rather disgusting amount of ramp sir. Could I interest you in a Genesis Wave? - Flyheight Can't really go wrong with a deck that has the 2 cards recently banned in both standard and modern. - JaxsonBateman Infinite Analysis Sorcery ~ is blue. Cycling Madness Buyback - EchoRobin You'd better believe him. He's Bomberman. - Steinhauser [/sblock]
Not all alchemists take from the land. Artifacts and creatures would be neat too.

Not all werewolves transform, like they do in Innistrad.  It's not a hard and fast rule that alchemists take from the land, but as a mechanic, yes, I was going to use mostly herbal based ideas for my alchemists.  That's not to say they can't do more.

This. An activated ability that makes a token that has an activated ability is more complicated than you'd see on most rares. Plus, keeping track of a bunch of counters spread across all your lands sounds like a bookeeping nightmare. If you do use counters on lands as a resource, just do 1 counter per land.

If you want it at common, I suggest making it an ETB ability. "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a harvest counter on a basic land you control without a harvest counter on it. If you do, you gain 3 life."

The reason for posting is not to show off a single card, but to discuss a machanical theme I was thinking of using.  Please don't obsess over the fact that I didn't make the effect stronger and change the rarity.
Doesn't moonglove harm instead of heal?

T'was purely a name filler, I hate coming up with names.

Not sure how viable this idea is at common.

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

It's also pretty rough at other rarities, if every alchemist means a new artifact token, especially one with an activated ability. Multiple types of non-vanilla tokens is potentially headache worthy, and when you throw in all the creatures MAKING the tokens, plus all the counters on the lands, things get a few notches more difficult. 

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Why not have it tutor for a card named Healing Potion that has this ability? I'm not a fan of noncreature tokens.

I think keeping track of harvest counters would be more of a pain than it would seem. I like the idea though, but I think it can be refined. Maybe lands that have harvest counters on them can't have any more harvest counters placed on them? Maybe lands with harvest counters on them tap for colorless mana instead of colored mana?
~Wonko the Sane~
Mana Symbol Order
One color - list that color: (ubrg), (w) (brg), (wu) (rg), (wub) (g), or (wubr) Two "ally" (i.e. adjacent) colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (brg) , (rgw) , (gwu) , (wub) , or (ubr) Two "enemy" (i.e. not adjacent) colors - start in the larger of the two empty spaces, then move clockwise: (rg) (u) , (gw) (b) , (wu) (r) , (ub) (g) , or (br) (w) Three "ally" colors (Alara shards) - start in the empty space, the move clockwise: (rg) , (gw) , (wu) , (ub) , or (br) Three "wedge" colors (two adjacent and one away from the other two) - start with the "enemy" color, then move clockwise: (u) (g), (b) (w), (r) (u), (g) (b), or (w) (r) Four colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (g) , (w) , (u) , (b) , or (r) Five colors - start with white, then move clockwise:
Moonglove Harvester - 
, Put a potion artifact token onto the battlefield under your control.
Potions you control have ", , sacrifice this permanent: prevent that next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn."
1/1

Would something like that with other alchemists giving potions abilities be acceptable to you?
It's also pretty rough at other rarities, if every alchemist means a new artifact token, especially one with an activated ability. Multiple types of non-vanilla tokens is potentially headache worthy, and when you throw in all the creatures MAKING the tokens, plus all the counters on the lands, things get a few notches more difficult. 

Fair enough, loads of memory issues.
Why not have it tutor for a card named Healing Potion that has this ability? I'm not a fan of noncreature tokens.

No, not going the Yu-Gi-Oh route.  Sorry, but not happening.
Moonglove Harvester - 
, Put a potion artifact token onto the battlefield under your control.
Potions you control have ", , sacrifice this permanent: prevent that next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn."
1/1

Would something like that with other alchemists giving potions abilities be acceptable to you?

More or less, it drops a bit of flavor, but picks up a lot of elegance.  I think I can live with that.  Thanks for the idea!

Awesome concept! It'll have possibilities for all other colors as well. I'll try some later. Right now here's a fix to your OP: 

Moonglove Harvester |
Creature — Human Alchemist
, , Put a token artifact named Healing Potion onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this permanent: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt to you or to target creature you control this turn."
1/1

And you might hand off potions to a teammate.

Moonglove Harvester |
Creature — Human Alchemist
, , Put a token artifact named Healing Potion onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this permanent: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt to you or to target creature you control this turn."
: Target player gains control of target artifact you control named Healing Potion.
1/1

Awesome concept. It has possibilities for all other colors.

Moonglove Harvester -
, , Put a token artifact named Healing Potion onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this permanent: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt this turn to you or to target creature you control."
1/1

And you might hand off potions to a teammate.

Moonglove Harvester -
, , Put a token artifact named Healing Potion onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this permanent: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt this turn to you or to target creature you control."
, : Target player gains control of target artifact you control named Healing Potion.
1/1
I think I might end up with something closer to:

Moonglove Harvester
 - 
: Put a potion artifact token onto the battlefield under your control.
, Sacrifice a Potion: Prevent that next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
1/1

Something that might make it so it's the alchemist that you currently have that allows you to choose which potion it is...

that's definitely the best design

I think I might end up with something closer to:

Moonglove Harvester
 - 
, Sacrifice a Potion: Prevent that next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
1/1

Something that might make it so it's the alchemist that you currently have that allows you to choose which potion it is...

How about "Put a white potion" / "Sacrifice a white potion" so you can make potions with alchemists in other colors and not have their potions used in an off-color way. Although there's still an issue of the potions being useless in your version if the alchemist leaves the battlefield. 
How about "Put a white potion" / "Sacrifice a white potion" so you can make potions with alchemists in other colors and not have their potions used in an off-color way. Although there's still an issue of the potions being useless in your version if the alchemist leaves the battlefield.

Useless, yes, they would be.  But any alcemist can make use of the potion, so it's not completely useless.  Also, color specific potions would be just as bad of a headache as my original design for them.

To keep the original flavor and using your last design, make harvest a keyword ability.

Moonglove Harvester
 - 
Harvest- Spend only mana produced by basic lands to cast ~~ and activate its ability.
1/1
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Sign In to post comments