10/17/2011 MM: "The Walking Undead"

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
That was a really cute article. Love these look back articles so I enjoyed it.

Now the question is what will be the next undead.
Poison beat Proliferate in the godbooks?  That is surprising and rather disappointing.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
This might be my favorite article MaRo's ever done, and that's saying something. Well done as usual.

You know what I love about MaRo?  He shares my love of gimmicks.  To me, that's not a dirty word.  Un-sets, Phyrexian Mana, Time Shifted, these articles...I love them all (and I know they weren't all MaRo's ideas, but he had something to do with them).  And when I saw he was the lead designer of Innistrad, I knew we were in for something fun.  And sure enough, double faced cards.  Gotta love it 
Current Magic Decks: Vulshok and Awe (Red Kuldotha/Battle Cry) Blades/Claws/Fangs (Red/Green Werewolf) Primal Vigor (Green Garruk) Lost History (Rainbow Un-sets)
Haha... Cloud of Faeries.  Cause that was a thing they were into in the mid 90s - creatures named "_____ of _______"  that they got out of and just recently brought back with Murder of Crows. 

Very cute article.

I'm hoping it will be Dwarves.
This might be my favorite article MaRo's ever done, and that's saying something. Well done as usual.

You know what I love about MaRo?  He shares my love of gimmicks.  To me, that's not a dirty word.  Un-sets, Phyrexian Mana, Time Shifted, these articles...I love them all (and I know they weren't all MaRo's ideas, but he had something to do with them).  And when I saw he was the lead designer of Innistrad, I knew we were in for something fun.  And sure enough, double faced cards.  Gotta love it 

Seconded. I have a lot of favorites from MaRo's archive, but this may very well top the list.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I liked the article too. Also, it's too bad there's probably little demand for a full art Serra promo. That art is too nice to stay in the GY, but it can't be used on anything except a Serra.

As long as it's not 'graveyard order matters' cards, I'm good.  Or JtMS... that should stay dead too.

If squirrels really are back they should be in sets too and not just on Acorn Catapult. Or was that just to keep you happy enough?

Haha... Cloud of Faeries.  Cause that was a thing they were into in the mid 90s - creatures named "_____ of _______"  that they got out of and just recently brought back with Murder of Crows. 

Very cute article.

Also faeries themselves, who stopped appearing in green and became a blue tribe.

I liked the article too. Also, it's too bad there's probably little demand for a full art Serra promo. That art is too nice to stay in the GY, but it can't be used on anything except a Serra.

It should've been M12's promo instead of that silly Tormented Soul or Auramancer =(

Good call, I only thought it was about the Faeries. Also:

As soon as I left the bridge, I felt the sickness return.

"Summoning sickness" as a term was abandoned and then returned. Nice one, Mark!
I liked the article, but I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't more detail about a number of the undead that we hadn't heard about before. It makes a lot of sense to link to the older articles where they exist, so I can definitely see why you did it, Mark, but as someone who had long ago read all of the columns you linked to and has heard most of those other stories through other channels, this article felt light on content. It wasn't, really...it was mostly just light on new content.

However, I realize that I'm in the long-time-reader-old-fogey minority and that most readers won't have seen many of those other columns or read about those other stories, so it's not a big deal. Just not really all that new. Nice format, though.

...Reading MaRo's column these last couple of weeks has reminded me of watching Escef's videos. I see it and get mostly a review of stuff I already knew, but other people see it and learn a ton of stuff they'd never heard about before. And then I feel old.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

THIS is from the all-powerful, brilliant former writer for the genius that was "Roseanne"?  What happened, did they ask you to come on to write an episode to draw the slower crowds who were too busy watching WWF to transcend to a sitcom?

Seriously, this isn't trope, it's tripe.  Not only is the writing awful, but the acknowledgement of humility is like a drop of food coloring in an ocean of sickening arrogance.  We get it, MaRo, you're proud of Infect, one of the worst abilities ever to grace the game.  We get it, you fight for things that make oh so much sense, but the man keeps bringing you down.  We get it, you're the driving force behind everything great in the game.

Better to let people think you're arrogant for no good reason then to start typing and remove all doubt.
Really, Maro, really?  There was one single obvious "big bad" and it was...demons?  Demons was the biggest baddest thing you could think of that you ever brought back?

Because I have to admit, I was expecting something else.  Something so big and bad that it had an entire set dedicated to it.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Poison beat Proliferate in the godbooks?  That is surprising and rather disappointing.

To be fair I really don't think Posion had a lot of competition in the "favorite scars mechanic" area, not because Posion is necessarily a really exceptional
mechanic, but more because the other mechanics were really just lackluster, I never really liked metalcraft, and it never was effective enough to have a deck be built out of it. Even though Proliferate was a cool mechanic it suffered the same fate, just not applicable enough. Where as Infect had a lot easier following because it is just a much stronger more straightforward mechanic. And as it's been said before, Phyrexians kinda did get all the good cards vs Mirrans so... Meh lol.
Really, Maro, really?  There was one single obvious "big bad" and it was...demons?  Demons was the biggest baddest thing you could think of that you ever brought back?

Because I have to admit, I was expecting something else.  Something so big and bad that it had an entire set dedicated to it.

Brought back after it explicitly was disallowed from being in magic =p
I don't think the Phyrexians were ever forbidden to return.
Not gonna lie, the first thing that crossed my mind when you finished the article by saying that you need to be willing to admit your mistakes and reevaluate your decisions was that I thought you were announcing the end of the Reserved List. I'll make my soapbox small so as not to co-opt the discussion, but almost everyone I know who plays Magic finds the Reserved List to be a bad policy, yet it is a mistake you persist in keeping around. I know that I for one would love to play Legacy (most of my friends love the format) but I simply can't get the cards for it. A change to the reprint policy to allow for a moderated way of getting legacy staples into players' hands would be a good thing I imagine, if done well. It doesn't have to be a repeat of the Chronicles debacle (and frankly the secondary market is so different these days it would be difficult to create that same sort of situation even if you tried).
The Reserved List still exists for mysterious reasons, Wizards isn't willing to talk about it. It's not a mistake they want to keep around, as evidenced by how they experimented with promo versions in the FtV products.

EDIT: Here's another gem from Twitter:

Does the Gatherer mention if a card is on the Reserved list? @mtgaaron

@CryptRat No, we try not to highlight the existance of that thing. Google "Magic Reprint Policy"

I absolutely love how honest and straightforward Aaron is =)

Two great articles in a row!
Did anyone else get the vibe that he's setting up an announcement to another Un-set?  It just doesn't quite seem to fit here:

"Black-bordered core sets, Un- sets, basic land in boosters, the term "cast," colored mana symbols in text boxes, trample in the core set, printing in Korean... I could go on and on"

Un-sets are the only thing on that list that are currently dead... or are they?
Great article!
I agree with Mooby! That card 'Que Serra, Serra' didn't look like a mock-up... Are we witnessing the first preview of the next Un-set, 'Confetti'? ;)
Did anyone else get the vibe that he's setting up an announcement to another Un-set?  It just doesn't quite seem to fit here:

"Black-bordered core sets, Un- sets, basic land in boosters, the term "cast," colored mana symbols in text boxes, trample in the core set, printing in Korean... I could go on and on"

Un-sets are the only thing on that list that are currently dead... or are they?

Un-sets were killed after Unglued, then brought back once with Unhinged. Thus, Un-sets being on the list isn't foreshadowy.
Top-notch article MaRo, well done. I really like retrospectives and the story format worked very well.