Surface Action Set List

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
We promised you a set list, and here it is!

Steve

#NationUnitClassRarity
1CanHMCS AlgonquinDestroyerC
2UKSwordfish Mk. IAircraftC
3FrStrasbourgBattleshipR
4PoORP DragonCruiserU
5UKHMS HalcyonAuxiliaryC
6UKHMS NelsonBattleshipR
7UKHMS SheffieldCruiserU
8UKVospers MTBTorpedo BoatC
9UKHMS EagleCarrierR
10UKHMS HawkinsCruiserR
11USF4U-1D CorsairAircraftC
12USLSTAuxiliaryC
13USSS American VictoryAuxiliaryU
14USUSS EdsallDestroyerC
15USUSS GuadalcanalCarrierU
16USUSS HornetCarrierR
17USUSS MontanaBattleshipR
18USUSS New JerseyBattleshipR
19USUSS PhoenixCruiserU
20USUSS WaspCarrierR
21SULend-Lease Hurricane Mk. IIAircraftC
22GeFw 190AAircraftC
23GeKonigsbergCruiserU
24GeM1 (Minesweeper)AuxiliaryC
25GeMoltkeBattleshipR
26GeRheinubung BismarckBattleshipR
27JaB5N2 Type 97 Attack BomberAircraftC
28GeU-2511SubmarineC
29ItAndrea DoriaBattleshipR
30ItCamicia NereDestroyerC
31ItGiovanni Delle Bande NereCruiserU
32JaDaihatsu Landing CraftAuxiliaryC
33JaElite A6M2 ZeroAircraftC
34JaHatsukazeDestroyerC
35JaMogamiCruiserR
36JaNakaCruiserU
37JaRyujoCarrierR
38JaSho-Go YamatoBattleshipR
39JaTaihoCarrierR
40NHeavy Shore BatteryInstallationR

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks so much.  Smile
Fantastic!

Slight correction to the list...

It should be HMCS Algonquin. It's Canadian.

Sorry for the confusion.

My mistake. Fixed it.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Many thanks to both of you!

The Conga ends and the angst begins! Wink
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/ah_weedsrock2/3312ea8b685a0ad5ac1554bc35fbf33d.jpg?v=50000)
Interesting list. Not quite what I expected.

General thoughts...

• There are several units on the list that I am very pleasantly surprised to see. Ryujo, Guadalcanal and Hornet, for example. Any one of those would have been a big deal for me in previews, so I'm impressed you kept them under wraps for so long.

• 50% of the units are reprints, and I'm 100% okay with that - as long as the reprint has a new card that either makes the original unit more playable (e.g. Swordfish, Jintsu) or offers an interesting variation.

• Always glad to see more auxiliaries.

• There are some very obvious missing units which give me hope that there will be a Set 7 coming in the future.

• My only disappointment: this isn't the UK / Royal Navy set that I was hoping it would be. The only UK air is a reprint of the Swordfish (Seafire? Lancaster? UK Corsairs? Skua? Anson? ...so many missing slots, and the UK got none of them). No HMS Vanguard/Lion. No UK sub since Set 1 (seriously?). I'm always glad to see new UK cruisers, but this feels like a let-down to me after the initial hype that the UK would get some attention this set.

Specific units (thumbs up!)....

• Swordfish Mk 1: Please let this be playable. It either needs to be cheaper, or more robust. If the unit is playable, the absence of the Seafire is completely forgiven.

• HMS Sheffield, HMS Eagle: Already commented in the previews. Excellent units.

• HMS Halcyon, Vospers MTB: Good to see these. Adding new capabilities to the UK.

• LST, USS Edsall: Good for scenarios.

• SS American Victory: Always great to see another auxiliary, and the SS JoB are very pricey and hard to get.

• USS Guadalcanal, USS Hornet, USS Wasp: WOW! Can you say "carrier overload"? More excited about the Guadalcanal than the Hornet to be honest, but the Wasp beats either.

• USS Phoenix: Inspired choice. I grew up listening to radio reports of the Falklands War, so I'm kinda thrilled to see the General Belgrano in play.

• Lend-lease Hurricane: Much-needed fighter for the Soviets. I'd like to see a couple more native air choices in the future, but I expected this unit.

• FW-190, U-2511: Great stuff. These units are very exciting, although I hope they're appropriately costed for (what I assume will be) some fairly uber- stats.

• M1: Auxiliaries are almost always good, even if this one is a scenario-only piece.

• Andrea Doria, Bande Nere, Camicia Nere: I'm okay with all three of these units. Good choices for Italy, even if two are reprints.

• Daihatsu Landing Craft: See LST above. Good for scenarios.

• B5N2, Elite Zero: Good choice for reprints. High demand, good chance to "fix" these units. Many have complained that the original Zero just doesn't cut it against the Wildcat, and the original Kate is a trifle overcosted / underpowered.

• Mogami: Iconic cruiser. Glad to see it.

• Taiho, Ryujo: YES! Outstanding inclusions. Well done.

• Heavy Shore Battery: Good, but more please. Normandy fortifications. Norwegian batteries. Henderson Air Field.

Specific units (thumbs down!)...

• US Corsair: Really? So soon? And you couldn't reprint it for the UK (who operated it off carriers first) or New Zealand (who used it in the Pacific)? Missed opportunity.

• USS New Jersey: I'm going to assume this was on the same plastic mold as one of the other battleships (e.g. Yamato). Even so, it's a disappointment. Ten US units, and not one of them is a classic/missing BB sculpt such as USS Texas. And having both an Iowa-class and the Montana in the same set is overkill at the far end of the scale.

• Konigsberg: Ouch. And I thought the Daihatsu Landing Barge was going to be the "20 cent" unit of the set. An uncommon with an effective class limit of 1 (given the Koln and the Karlsruhe are already out there). Painful.

• The things that SHOULD have been here: A UK submarine (one... in 6 sets). A new UK air unit. A new patrol bomber, for any nation (Heinkel, Dornier, Anson, Lancaster... just to name a few).

Overall, I'll give it a preliminary B+, until I see the stat cards. If the Swordfish is playable, and most of the reprints bring something new to the game, I'll happily revise it to an A- (or higher). Good effort.

[...but, seriously, UK submarine... new UK air... and a couple new patrol bombers next set, eh?]
Thanks for the list! 

I really like all the carriers in the set, and many other cool units. Glad to see Ryujo here at last.

However, I do agree that the UK should have gotten alittle more help.

So... is Mogami a straight reprint, or modded into a sculpt of the late-war Hybrid version? Please tell us you didn't mix Hybrid stats/SA's on an As-Built mini...
"The game is NOT canceled, it's just on indefinite hold... until nobody cares anymore." --Old WizKids Games Standard Operating Procedure (sound familiar, anyone?)
I thought this was suposed to be a UK love set???

If anyone needs an idea of what capital ships we could use for them, look here.
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1431/war-at-...
IMAGE(http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/NeuralDream/AxisAllies/TsondaboySig1.jpg)

Excellent!  I REALLY like this set.  

My only hope on the reprints is that they are re-costed or have different SA's - especially the Corsair.  I'm at a loss on why that was repeated so quickly.  Also - what do I do with all my old swordfish since I had to use a swarm of them to insure any impact...I have a dozen.

My favorites from this set are:   Minesweepers, ORP Dragon, HMS Nelson, Vospers MTB, HMS Halcyon, USS Hornet, the landing craft, and the shore battery.

My biggest disappointment: No Italian Auxillary, no Surcouf....and no other installations. 

Must be future sets coming....

Every set we can get is welcome in this game.   

Is there any particular reason the Swordfish is out of order?  Is that related to the Dragon's late addition to the set?
Cool, I'm lovin' this set!  Smile  It gets a solid A becuase of the return to an abundance of carriers.
Wow, this set aggressively tackles alot of issues with Set 1 and 2 being out of print, great job! I think this is just what the game needed to reinvigorate it. I'll definetly be buying a case now, one way or the other. I've had to sell almost all of my double rares over the past year or two so it will be awsome to rebuild my 'sundered' fleets (yeah right, they are still ginormass lol). Can't wait to see the models and stat cards. Excellent set! Christmas comes early this year...
Aw man!  Thanks for posting "The List"!Laughing  It looks really good.

I believe HMS Hawkins is going to be a very handsome cruiser indeed.  Can't wait to see the mini!

Steve

#NationUnitClassRarity
3FrStrasbourgBattleshipR
4PoORP DragonCruiserU
5UKHMS HalcyonAuxiliaryC
6UKHMS NelsonBattleshipR
7UKHMS SheffieldCruiserU
9UKHMS EagleCarrierR
10UKHMS HawkinsCruiserR
12USLSTAuxiliaryC
14USUSS EdsallDestroyerC
16USUSS HornetCarrierR
19USUSS PhoenixCruiserU
20USUSS WaspCarrierR
22GeFw 190AAircraftC
23GeKonigsbergCruiserU
25GeMoltkeBattleshipR
28GeU-2511SubmarineC
34JaHatsukazeDestroyerC
35JaMogamiCruiserR
36JaNakaCruiserU
37JaRyujoCarrierR
39JaTaihoCarrierR

So many questions that cannot be answered until we see the stat cards and models! Will Konigsberg and Camicia Nere be mine layers? Will USS Hornet have the Surprise Raid SA?? Is Mogami in her later war configuration? Does Bismarck have corrected turrets? Is Andrea Doria a correct sculpt via her scale? Is the carrier based Corsair a fighter, or a fighter-bomber? SA's for the new Jill, maybe Torpedo Swarm and/or battleship killer, a standard bomb attack??? I cannot wait to find out!

Steve

#NationUnitClassRarity
3FrStrasbourgBattleshipR
4PoORP DragonCruiserU
5UKHMS HalcyonAuxiliaryC
6UKHMS NelsonBattleshipR
7UKHMS SheffieldCruiserU
9UKHMS EagleCarrierR
10UKHMS HawkinsCruiserR
12USLSTAuxiliaryC
14USUSS EdsallDestroyerC
16USUSS HornetCarrierR
19USUSS PhoenixCruiserU
20USUSS WaspCarrierR
22GeFw 190AAircraftC
23GeKonigsbergCruiserU
25GeMoltkeBattleshipR
28GeU-2511SubmarineC
34JaHatsukazeDestroyerC
35JaMogamiCruiserR
36JaNakaCruiserU
37JaRyujoCarrierR
39JaTaihoCarrierR

So many questions that cannot be answered until we see the stat cards and models! Will Konigsberg and Camicia Nere be mine layers? Will USS Hornet have the Surprise Raid SA?? Is Mogami in her later war configuration? Does Bismarck have corrected turrets? Is Andrea Doria a correct sculpt via her scale? Is the carrier based Corsair a fighter, or a fighter-bomber? SA's for the new Jill, maybe Torpedo Swarm and/or battleship killer, a standard bomb attack??? I cannot wait to find out!

Me either!

I seriously doubt any older sculpts were redone (not including Dragon), but I am very prepared to be wrong. Wink

I am very much looking forward to the Naka's card. The Jintzu has long needed a re-do.

I am personally surprised RB decided to re-issue the Swordfish. I think the original was pretty accurate except maybe it cost one point too much which is common with any set I unit with torpedoes. I just don't see how he is going to please anyone. The Mk I will no doubt be cheaper, but it will also have a weaker attack if done properly. It should be like the Fi. 167 and we know how popular that is!           

IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/ah_weedsrock2/3312ea8b685a0ad5ac1554bc35fbf33d.jpg?v=50000)
Every set is going to be missing something.  Certainly there are units I wish were part of the set (ever so long I have I waited for the Dutch Java) but every set has some gold in it and there is plenty of gold here.   OK, the Brits could have had more but the Sheffield and Eagle are interesting additions.   Don't forget that the Dragon was a British cruiser for the nearly the first four years of the war and for those of us who simply are not patient enough to wait for all the sister ships to reach official play, it opens the door to having the Danae, Dauntless, Despatch, Delhi [at least up to 1941 before its significant modifications into an AA cruiser] and Diomede.  Danae can play the part of a second Polish cruiser in 1943.  Perhaps the The Konigsberg wont be the most popular German unit but new German large surface units are getting pretty sparse.  And of course I love that we have a four-stack U.S. destroyer now.  I wonder what sort of run will be on the Victory ship.  Such a weak, almost silly piece in a game like WAS yet the earlier transport releases sold out quickly and now are worth their weight in platnum ($23 for a transport, yikes!).  One of my coolest game setups is to have a freet of transports with a protective screen (I often combine the Japanese transport, U.S., and German Nordmark units to give the convoy some variety and a reasonable size).  This is a good set for folks who like scenario plays.

There was one missed opportunity though.  I think the name "Surface Action" should have been reserved for a future release and this one should have been called AIR STRIKE.  Such a carrier overload and that the strike capability is without a doubt impressive.   I am willing to bet the Corsair is a carrier fly off version.    Of course, if you were just using units from this set, one weakness is immediately obvious, there is not enough carrier based aircraft diversity within the set!  Keep up the great work Rich.

We talked about needing a set that reintroduced the sculpts no longer available from set 1 and 2 for a while over here. I'm guessing RB and the other designers read it and agreed, plus it more than likely made the WotC bean counters happy. I'm thinking set 7 might have alot of Set 2 sculpts like Conti di Cavour (Gulio Cesare reprint), USS South Dakota / Alabama / Indiana (a Big Mammy reprint), maybe a USS New Orleans (USS  San Franciso reprint) if we're lucky. Prolly get a reissue of Hood and Scharnhorst... two old rares even I would like to see revisited.

Thats - thats- wait a bit I first must calm down a bit...
...,... and Rock'n Roll - but Minis are fun too...
OK now its a bit better...

18! (out of 40 reprints) - I am glad I did not order more

Thats the worst set since Task Force (I assume Hornet is a NEW sculpt ... I hope)

And quite a few of the NEW ships are - in my opinion - not the ones I was looking for

Some observations

1 NEW airplane FW 190

10 UK units as promised - if you count in a lend lease Hurricane for the Soviets

1 sub (fitting for surface action)

late war (1943 is late IMHO) US super plane - reprint
4 reprints of UK/Japanese planes - the originals were OK when they came out (Swordie too expensive, but useable in swarms)
Good new German fighter - but the Bf 109 was good enough IMHO

Mixed feelings here - good for newbies (after Task force), but considered what we (I) were expecting the planes are disappointing.

About the NEW ships

Canada - a 2 ship class for canada, but offers a good reprint value.

Poland - I'd rather had the unit that filled this slot when the set was originally designed, but like the CDN ship it offers a reprint opportunity...

UK - Halcyon - first unit on the list I really like...

HMS Sheffield, Vosper MTB, Eagle - really nice

HMS Hawkins - mixed feeling - I might have liked her if the other UK options (planes BB) were better, Now I am thinking - there could have been the Vanguard...

LST/American Victory - Really like them

Edsall maybe the unit I like best in this set (and thats not easy considering I don't play the US often)

Hornet - Would have loved her more If she was the ONLY US carrier in the set - overshadowed by the Eagle and Wasp - there are too myna carriers in this set ...

Hannah Monty Haul - enough has been said before

Wasp (see Hornet)

Fw 190A (!) might be a low altitude Bomber - if this is true then I like it, if its a pure fighter its - just another fighter.

M1 - really like it

Moltke - Z-plan not more to say

U-2511  - THE surprise (positive) of the set - looking forward to the stats

GDBN - - a good NEW option for the Italians

Daihatsu - :D - needless to say more

Ryujo/Taiho - Seed WASP/Hornet

HSP - don't like the decision to model after fort drum (generic would have been better IMHO, so I can use only one - historical limit!)

Overall - 2 precoius NEW slots were wasted with fantasy BB  ships, 5! Carriers - (i like them all, but not in ONE set with limited rare slots...) 1 NEW HEavy Cruiser - NO NEW BB --- OH NOOOOOO (don't count the fantasys as Real slots here ... ;))

THE REPRINTS

Swordie - MK I ???? we have the MK I, but considering availability date we already had teh MK I (and not the MK II) - sigh - wasted opportunity to introduce a new plane for the UK

Strassbourg - ONE French UNIT - and its a REPRINTED BB - sigh - UNHAPPY

HMS Nelson - why not a rerint of a KGV,R or QE - why the 2 ship class.... - Its the Best UK BB in game Thats why - If there was a Vanguard in this set I would have fully liked it, so its just  OK

Corsair - why not the Wildcat or Hellcat - newbies need early US options, Why not s Dauntless instead of the Hurricane or the Swordie - I would have liked this betetr - even if it would have taken an UK/SU slot away.

Guadalcanal - its another Carrier - in a set with too much carriers (Never thought I would say this ;)) - but its a large class, so its OK.

New Jersey - Iowa and Montana class  in ONE set is nice, but overkill (did I mention I would rather get an older NEW sculpt.

Phoenix - announced and no surprise, but there are too many reprints in this set, so - reluctanty - thumbs down.

Hurricane for the Soviets - Just wonderuing if RB could have found a domestic russian fighter to fill this slot - My bad forgot that we hve a reprint quota to fill

Königsberg (NOT Konigsberg please) - another reprint - now we have all K-class cruisers...

RheinÜbung Bismarck - - not more to say

B5N2 whatever aka Kate - wondering which German unit was pulled when decision was made to put her in this slot (the set seems to have undergone a serious overhaul since design)

Andrea Doria/Camicia Nere - mixed feeling about them - reprints - too many this set

Elite Zero - OK as Set I/II planes are quite hard to get on the market - good for newbies and nice to expand existing airfleets

Hatsukaze - another Kagero - disappointed - really disappointed

Mogami - I am happy I did NOT get more Suzuyas, so I still can use that one..

Sho Go Yamato - unhappy as I would prefer reprints of ships that have NOT reached class limits, but its done right statwise...

Overall - I think this set is the worst so far , too many reprints total, too many reprints of planes - and then not the right planes /except the Zero and manybe Kate.

I would have preferred another UK BB and a NEW UK plane...

I think this is the set of missed opportunites

If I had to pick the three best units I think they are Edsall, U-2511 and Eagle

The three worst , Not sure where to start, If I picked one, therer are many others that would deserve this fate too, so I won't.

Cry

This is awesome and I for one am happy to see it, I can not wait to get the cards, This should prove very good for new Battles.

Thanks

Somthing dawned on me when I read over this list again just now... that there were no Taffy3 Destroyers in this set. This in it self isn't all that suprising, but I am still dissapointed none the less.
Also, the U-2511, would that be a Type XXI boat? 

U-2511 is a type XXI

Wondering if it has the Wolfpack SA ?

Somthing dawned on me when I read over this list again just now... that there were no Taffy3 Destroyers in this set. This in it self isn't all that suprising, but I am still dissapointed none the less.

W@S at least provides an excellent showing of the Destroyers for Taffy3.  As commons, even the casual collector can easily represent all of the US Destroyers involved in direct action. 

Personaly,  I hope to see greater expansion of Japanese destroyers involved so I dont need to proxy different classes.

GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600

Give us the USS Johnston!!! Then I'll shut up about Taffy 3... well... mostly Wink
U-2511 is a type XXI

Wondering if it has the Wolfpack SA ?

Yes, yes I do.
OK now its a bit better...

18! (out of 40 reprints) - I am glad I did not order more

Thats the worst set since Task Force (I assume Hornet is a NEW sculpt ... I hope)

And quite a few of the NEW ships are - in my opinion - not the ones I was looking for

Some observations

1 NEW airplane FW 190

10 UK units as promised - if you count in a lend lease Hurricane for the Soviets

1 sub (fitting for surface action)

late war (1943 is late IMHO) US super plane - reprint
4 reprints of UK/Japanese planes - the originals were OK when they came out (Swordie too expensive, but useable in swarms)
Good new German fighter - but the Bf 109 was good enough IMHO

Mixed feelings here - good for newbies (after Task force), but considered what we (I) were expecting the planes are disappointing.

About the NEW ships

Canada - a 2 ship class for canada, but offers a good reprint value.

Poland - I'd rather had the unit that filled this slot when the set was originally designed, but like the CDN ship it offers a reprint opportunity...

UK - Halcyon - first unit on the list I really like...

HMS Sheffield, Vosper MTB, Eagle - really nice

HMS Hawkins - mixed feeling - I might have liked her if the other UK options (planes BB) were better, Now I am thinking - there could have been the Vanguard...

LST/American Victory - Really like them

Edsall maybe the unit I like best in this set (and thats not easy considering I don't play the US often)

Hornet - Would have loved her more If she was the ONLY US carrier in the set - overshadowed by the Eagle and Wasp - there are too myna carriers in this set ...

Hannah Monty Haul - enough has been said before

Wasp (see Hornet)

Fw 190A (!) might be a low altitude Bomber - if this is true then I like it, if its a pure fighter its - just another fighter.

M1 - really like it

Moltke - Z-plan not more to say

U-2511  - THE surprise (positive) of the set - looking forward to the stats

GDBN - - a good NEW option for the Italians

Daihatsu - :D - needless to say more

Ryujo/Taiho - Seed WASP/Hornet

HSP - don't like the decision to model after fort drum (generic would have been better IMHO, so I can use only one - historical limit!)

Overall - 2 precoius NEW slots were wasted with fantasy BB  ships, 5! Carriers - (i like them all, but not in ONE set with limited rare slots...) 1 NEW HEavy Cruiser - NO NEW BB --- OH NOOOOOO (don't count the fantasys as Real slots here ... ;))

THE REPRINTS

Swordie - MK I ???? we have the MK I, but considering availability date we already had teh MK I (and not the MK II) - sigh - wasted opportunity to introduce a new plane for the UK

Strassbourg - ONE French UNIT - and its a REPRINTED BB - sigh - UNHAPPY

HMS Nelson - why not a rerint of a KGV,R or QE - why the 2 ship class.... - Its the Best UK BB in game Thats why - If there was a Vanguard in this set I would have fully liked it, so its just  OK

Corsair - why not the Wildcat or Hellcat - newbies need early US options, Why not s Dauntless instead of the Hurricane or the Swordie - I would have liked this betetr - even if it would have taken an UK/SU slot away.

Guadalcanal - its another Carrier - in a set with too much carriers (Never thought I would say this ;)) - but its a large class, so its OK.

New Jersey - Iowa and Montana class  in ONE set is nice, but overkill (did I mention I would rather get an older NEW sculpt.

Phoenix - announced and no surprise, but there are too many reprints in this set, so - reluctanty - thumbs down.

Hurricane for the Soviets - Just wonderuing if RB could have found a domestic russian fighter to fill this slot - My bad forgot that we hve a reprint quota to fill

Königsberg (NOT Konigsberg please) - another reprint - now we have all K-class cruisers...

RheinÜbung Bismarck - - not more to say

B5N2 whatever aka Kate - wondering which German unit was pulled when decision was made to put her in this slot (the set seems to have undergone a serious overhaul since design)

Andrea Doria/Camicia Nere - mixed feeling about them - reprints - too many this set

Elite Zero - OK as Set I/II planes are quite hard to get on the market - good for newbies and nice to expand existing airfleets

Hatsukaze - another Kagero - disappointed - really disappointed

Mogami - I am happy I did NOT get more Suzuyas, so I still can use that one..

Sho Go Yamato - unhappy as I would prefer reprints of ships that have NOT reached class limits, but its done right statwise...

Overall - I think this set is the worst so far , too many reprints total, too many reprints of planes - and then not the right planes /except the Zero and manybe Kate.

I would have preferred another UK BB and a NEW UK plane...

I think this is the set of missed opportunites

If I had to pick the three best units I think they are Edsall, U-2511 and Eagle

The three worst , Not sure where to start, If I picked one, therer are many others that would deserve this fate too, so I won't.

Pretty Content with the set as a whole, the only let down being the UK side of things. As it was being touted as the 'UK' set it is a bit light on numbers for Britain itself (units being dispersed elswhere). Not enough Destroyers in my eyes, also a steady stream of Cruisers needed from now on. 'Vanguard' has got to happen soon considering Britain is the only big player without a super-battleship, after all this is not a fantasy ship.
Well one good thing for sure, we did not get the dreaded Soviet carrier. 

I had imagined the seafire, a sub, and an LST for UK in this set. I think everyone was expecting these or am I wrong.

The one unit that I wish was not on this set is the Swordfish. That is horrible decision like having Justin Timberlake in movies. Just saying.

My guess is those units should be in the next set. 

Overall, I like the list. can't wait to see the stats. The heavy carrier list shocked me, did not expect the Hornet,Guadalcanal, or Ryujo. 

Maybe we will see three fantasy units next go round. The Lion, Graf Z sister ship( the witch), and the carrier Sparviero (the wardrobe). Tongue out 
I'm surprised there's so much disappointment surrounding the UK offering in this set.  A quarter of the set is devoted to UK units and reprints.  The UK also receives the most new sculpts in this set.  If that ain't some serious lovin', I don't know what is.
Viva la Resistance! Proud Member of Axis & Allies Underground
I we forget what we hoped for.

US got 2 modern BB, 2 Cap 3 carriers (+1 CVE), 2 Auxillaries (some might consider this bat, but I think its a good thing) a good reprinted plane + a cruiser and a DD

UK got No destroyer a cap 1 carrier (I like it though), an old reprinted BB (though a powerful unit it should be). A minesweeper (not good for attacking SIs) 2 cruisers - a crappy pappy old plane a Torpedo Boat (nice as an add on).

now come and think who got the better present...

BTW UK with 2 cruisers  US with one - I don't think not enough cruisers is UKs problem ;)

Reprints:

US got 4/10 (less than average for the set)
UK got 2/7 also less than average (add the 3 almost Brits you go up 3/10), but overall less useful reprints. BBs are slightly in favor of US, Corsair is definitely better than Swordie and Red Hurricane. There is a Boise reprint - its an addition, and the Hornet is iconic ;)

Only downside is the inclusion of the Hannah Montana (sort of)

But aside from that my problem with this set is the high (too high) number of reprints paired with too many Auxillary type : 7 common reprints+ 4 auxillaries (2 LShips+2 Minesweepers) thats leaving us with 2 DDs (one is a fairly small class of 2 ships for the Canadians - but admittetdly a potential for a good reprint) a MTB, a super Sub (OK that one is almost fantasy, but it DID prowl the sea) and a plane (that should be a fighter bomber).

Then again which common units are reprinted - and for which nation...

UK(+SU) - two planes that are not famous for great playability - you could have skipped on those and better made SBD + the plane that is also on this mold (maybe its paired with the Val and RB did not want to do a third Japanese plane)

US is not so needy for good fighters, so the Corsair could have gone to UK instead.

Zeke and Kate are not necessary planes for Japan (there are some more options for Japan that are still available), but I admit the new players should get a chance for those iconic planes without spending their monthly allowance for 1 or two units ;)

uncommons...

reprints:
Phoenix
Königsberg
Naka
Guadalcanal

New
American Victory (I hope a new sculpt an not "they look similar enough ;))
Dragon
Sheffield
Bande Nere

The K-is hurting (as is the fact that we get 6 cruisers), but overall , I think the selection is OK if a bit bland - might revise this after knowing the SA that come with those units..

rare

reprints:
Strassbourg (I think the French need OTHER things than BB/BCs)
Nelson
Hornet
New Jersey
Bismarck
Andrea Doria
Mogami (assuming Suzuya sculpt)
Yamato

Effectively 6 "one class Ships" as all sisters are already released (except for Iowa class, therwe stand a 3/4 and Suzuya Mogami where we can do 2 more sisters)

new:
Eagle
Hawkins
Montana
Wasp
Moltke
Ryujo
Taiho
Ft Drum

Here it looks a bit better (for multiple units)
Only the Carriers are one offs Hawkins has (2)3-5 in class Montana could yiels 5 possible units and O class might let you use 3 different ships
Ft. Drum is a problem - intended to be generic, but an unique shape - I tend to look at it as a one off (might do my own pieces with stats based on this design ;)

Overall This set is disappointing in the large number of reprints (Japan is suffering most), the choice of some reprints, the high number of "unique" ships... and the absence of some high demand units.

Positive is that we get some nice new choices (U-2511, Eagle Sheffield, Ryujo, Taiho, the Auxillaries)

Conclusion: more negative than positive to say about this set.
I would not knock the Swordfish.  These were very important planes in the early war.  After all, they did take out half of Italy's marine fire power in the Mediterranean.  Their overall rating for the year of the Taranto strike was close to a 50% success rate.

Newcomers to War at Sea need these planes.

I do not much care for having too many unique ships.  Even worse is having uncommons which are either unique or in a very small class (like two or three ships; the Konigsberg should not be an uncommon).

I think that the inclusion of installations and auxilliary ships make this an interesting set.  I look forward to it in spite of the distribution flaws.
I'm surprised there's so much disappointment surrounding the UK offering in this set.  A quarter of the set is devoted to UK units and reprints.  The UK also receives the most new sculpts in this set.  If that ain't some serious lovin', I don't know what is.

The only disappointment for the UK in my eyes is the swordfish, but I'll get over it. As far as the Seafire, another sub, LST, and I forgot the Skua, the way I perceived the chatter we would see these this coming week. This is something that I'll look for in the following set(s). UK has so much other aircraft that it was disappointing in this choice of unit. I was not complaining just having some fun with the chatter. I did not expect any backlash, so now I guess I am complaining. I think this whole set list overall is jamming! I am going to have lots of fun with the new additions, especially with UK. I like the fact that we got the Nelson. Rodney is my favorite UK BB. The Dunkerque is one of my favoite small BB and can't wait to see the Strasbourg. I am glad Konigsberg is here that way we get to later see Emden, Leipzig, or possibly Niobe. I am excited about everything arriving in a week or less. I hope you get my point. Retort over.
Please don't feel as though I was singling you or anyone else out.  I was just trying to point out some of the positives for the UK offering.  Let's face it, we tend to focus on the negative.

I can understand disappointment that a favorite unit or "needed" unit are still missing.  I've been doing that myself for a long time in AAM.  I'd say most of the wants for the WAS UK I see on the forum are things I'd like to see too.

Luckily we have the patron saint of WAS, Rich Baker , watching over us and making note of those things we just can't live without.
Viva la Resistance! Proud Member of Axis & Allies Underground
Can someone tell me if

Bande Nere,
Camicia Nere,
Mogami,
Naka or
Hatsukaze are reprints?

Thanks

Bob
Can someone tell me if

Bande Nere,
Camicia Nere,
Mogami,
Naka or
Hatsukaze are reprints?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

I can only speculate at this point.

Govanni Delle Bande Nere- Has potential of being new.   

Caicia Nera
-  Can Pass for a Pegaso or Orsa at this scale,,, Probably Reprint.

Mogami- A reprint of the sub class Suzuya is probable.  Here's a comparison link to click.  Suzuya

Naka- I expect to see a Jintsu reprint.

Hatsukaze- Money bet Reprint  (I think the Kagero class Destroyers are the most prolific reprint in the game.

Depending on what configuration these ships represent the physical characteristics of most are very close.  I would like to hope that perhaps some of the minor nuiances could be dipicted.  But,,,

GW
From what I'bve heard from educated non-official sources:

Hatsukaze: Isokaze/Yukikaze reprint

Naka: Jintsu Reprint

Mogami: Either this is a new sculpt or a reprint of Suzuya

Camicia Nera: Ascari reprint

Giovani should be a new sculpt

Not 100% sure on this yet, but it's looking very likely.      
Thanks Grenz and Enbrantain.  Trying to decide case or singles.  There are enough reprints, singles might be the best way to go.  The going single price the the FW-190s is the only mini that is priced unrealistically as a single.

Of course will be purchasing lots of Edsalls.Wink   Got to fill my U.S. needs, and my lend lease requirements. 
From what I'bve heard from educated non-official sources:

Hatsukaze: Isokaze/Yukikaze reprint

Naka: Jintsu Reprint

Mogami: Either this is a new sculpt or a reprint of Suzuya

Camicia Nera: Ascari reprint

Giovani should be a new sculpt

Not 100% sure on this yet, but it's looking very likely.      

So you concure with my assesment Ent?  Makes me feel better incase I missed a blantant error.

GW 
Please don't feel as though I was singling you or anyone else out.  I was just trying to point out some of the positives for the UK offering.  Let's face it, we tend to focus on the negative.

I can understand disappointment that a favorite unit or "needed" unit are still missing.  I've been doing that myself for a long time in AAM.  I'd say most of the wants for the WAS UK I see on the forum are things I'd like to see too.

Luckily we have the patron saint of WAS, Rich Baker , watching over us and making note of those things we just can't live without.

It's all good. I totally agree about keeping a positive outlook. At least the way it looks another set is in order. RB had a list of 10 units that he is working into this and the next couple of sets. Four of the ten are in set VI, we will have to see where the other six go. Two of the UK units that I was looking for are on that list of remaining six. I know we will see them soon. It must be a daunting task for RB to put together a set and try to balance it to keep everyone happy. From just the list alone of set VI I know that I am happy.  {#emotions_dlg.cool}
Thanks Grenz and Enbrantain.  Trying to decide case or singles.  There are enough reprints, singles might be the best way to go.  The going single price the the FW-190s is the only mini that is priced unrealistically as a single.

Of course will be purchasing lots of Edsalls.   Got to fill my U.S. needs, and my lend lease requirements. 

Well, I'm hoping the Italian DD is a minelayer... but I cannot say for sure until we see the cards.