Questions for R. A. Salvatore Interview

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Robles will interview R. A. Salvatore on Friday (Oct. 14) at New York Comic Con. If you have a question about Drizzt, Neverwinter, or anything else that you'd really, really like Mike to ask, here's the place to queue it up! 

The interview will be posted in the D&D group blog for all to enjoy.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

In the new novel Drizzt has a very different attitude than he's had in recent novels, has this personality shift made him more enjoyable to write?
Delicate question that someone SURELY asked before, but...

What did he think of the current edition's FR, changes and all, as a writter if not a gamer? 
Are you satisfied with how you handled the passings of Cattie-brie and Regis?  To me, as a reader, it was disappointing to have major characters, both of whom are adventurers,
Show
die of disease in their beds instead of fighting.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
The Forgotten Realms has changed quite a bit since the Icewind Dale trilogy, and Drizzt has become more of a subdued character; without his friends, his motivations are mostly internal.  Do you intend to find a new group of friends for Drizzt, or will Drizzt become a redefined character as he seeks to fit into the changed Realms?
mundane questions:
How closely do you have to work with Wizards of the coast when writing your novels? Do you have to get their approval first? Are there certain things WotC mentions to Salvatore to write?

There have been some gameplay changes in D&D that would affect Salvatore's story telling. For example when he began writing the novel Drow had infra-red vision and it went into detail on how they used temperature control as camoflage. Now it's simply "darkvision" where you see stuff in black and white. Has Salvatore taken that into account of his writing?

FANBOY QUESTION:

Where do you get inspiration for your sword fights and other battles? One of the things that always stuck out to me was how detailed and energetic the battles are in Salvatore novels. The Legend of Drizzt was carved out by his twin scimitars and the worthy foes they've crossed '

How do you feel about all the GOOD DROW characters that people play? How do you feel about other authors writing GOOD DROW SECRET SOCIETY OF GOOD DROW FROLICKING IN SURFACE THAT TORTURED LONELY DRIZZT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT?

What is your favorite food?

Bob once wrote a pilot for a D&D TV show.  Did anything ever happen with the script?  If not, would he like it to be either published or posted for free on the WotC site?

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
Normal Question:

Drizz't is a very popular character that is much beloved by the fans but, do you ever feel as if his popularity unduely overshadows the many other great characters you've created?

Weird Question:

Let's say Drizz't died and had to be resurrected immediately. The only available character with the power to do so was a Druid but the only spell he had prepared worked like the reincarnate spell from D&D 3.5 (i.e. the spell ressurrects the target but gives them a new body, typically of a new race). Of the following races, which do you believe would be the most interesting outcome, from a writer's perspective, for such a spell:

- Bugbear
- Gnoll
- Half-Orc
- Kobold
- Lizardfolk
- Troglodyte 

Is barrabus the Grey A. Entreri??

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

Is barrabus the Grey A. Entreri??

why dont you just read the new book and find out for yoursef?
Mr.Salvatore, have you ever wanted to write a book outside of the fantasy/sci-fi genre?
Will you please have Artemis Entreri kill Drizzt? I've wanted this to happen since The Legacy.
Will you please have Artemis Entreri kill Drizzt? I've wanted this to happen since The Legacy.

If he respect his own works and all, I'd rather see Entreri maybe kill himself... or join him in a last fight.,..

It's like Batman and the Joker, in a way. Tied in a karmic way.

Now, I have not read much recent books, but... 
I know Drizzt is no longer just a character...he's an institution. I've never seen another character copied by so many players wanting to mirror them. Since 2E, Drizzt has been the number 1 name in Drow and one of the most recognizable characters of any RPG, surpassing even Elminster, the Majere brothers and Tanis Half-Elvin from DragonLance, or pretty much any other noted name in D&D's long history.

My question is this...

Do you have any plans to focus on a totally different protagonist in the future?

This is not to say that I want Drizzt to vanish. My personal feelings on Drizzt are inconsequential. I read the Dark Elf Trilogy when it was released many years ago, and enjoyed it. Since then, my son (who is now 16) has become a HUGE fan of Drizzt and company. His collection started when I gave him my Dark Elf Trilogy books. He has every book that even remotely mentions Drizzt, Artemis, and the others. While I might not care too much anymore about him, there are still scores of devoted Drizzt fans out there.

Is it possible that you have another character that could be elevated to Drizzt's level waiting on the drawing board?
If anyone is intersted, Salvatore has answered some of your questions. -LINK-
Ryklu, OgreBattle, Elemental Elf, and a few others had their questions answered.
I look at Artemis Entreri as the Boba Fett of the Drizzt novels. I don't think he was supposed to be that popular. I think he was just supposed to be a villain that appeared a few more times. I like Artemis a heck of a lot better than Drizzt. I find that Artemis has so much more depth than Drizzt.
That's why Servant of the Shard is by far my favorite RA Salvatore novel (which incidentally only mentions Drizzt in passing).
I'd be interested in seeing/hearing/reading Mr. Salvatore's answers to the myriad of questions I'm sure he was asked. Will there be such a transcript?
I'd be interested in seeing/hearing/reading Mr. Salvatore's answers to the myriad of questions I'm sure he was asked. Will there be such a transcript?

Other than the one already posted about 4 responses ago?
Not that I know of. If he answered more questions than appeared on the previously-posted link, it hasn't been posted anywhere yet.

Other than the one already posted about 4 responses ago?
Not that I know of. If he answered more questions than appeared on the previously-posted link, it hasn't been posted anywhere yet.

Oops, I missed your link. Thanks