Ninja article is up.

205 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh, interesting. The kusari-gama opens up some options, I think. A double weapon that works with Attack Finesse. Mm! It's actually not too different to a spiked chain, but a little weaker.

Hmm, can hybrid assassins pick the way of the ninja and use the kusari-gama with their hybrid attack finesse?

And do both ends count as light blades and flails or does one end count as each? EDIT: Just checked. it's the latter. Doh. That means you either need to stick to ki focuses or pick up two expertise feats.
Only 1 side counts as a flail, 1 as a light blade.

So it's not that good.

Actutally... can you enchant it as a flail and use the lightblade end?  Might be some use there.

Edit:  Hmm...  defensive, and reach.  Possible use for a lazy's.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

So does that poison shuriken at will power make shurikens useful for something now? I don't know enough about assassins to know the answer to that.

Mmm. Lot's of fun stuff.

A decent charge. Seems legit.
At-will ranged triple attack against different targets. Minion sweeping or using a daily poison against 3 targets is just awesome.
Double attack, at-will prone. Crit-fishy and KAM. Pity that the ends are different, as Flail is the only non-Light Blade of the mix (Short Sword, Shuriken and second end are all LB). Shame to lose Light Blade expertise for Master of Arms, which assassins already had as a class feature. 

I'd play one. 
Mmm. Lot's of fun stuff.

At-will ranged triple attack against different targets. Minion sweeping or using a daily poison against 3 targets is just awesome.
Double attack, at-will prone. Crit-fishy and KAM. Pity that the ends are different, as Flail is the only non-Light Blade of the mix (Short Sword, Shuriken and second end are all LB). Shame to lose Light Blade expertise for Master of Arms, which assassins already had as a class feature. 

I'd play one. 

I'm generally anti-Essentials on the personal level, but ... yeah, I might at some point too.  If only Headsman's Chop worked with the Kusathingie.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
a manual of ninjutsu ki focus with a 2d4 weapon would be very nice...
Am i missing soemthing, or do they have an at-will with a weapon their not proficent in?

I don't think so.  Which one are you talking about?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

It say's "the power's dice".  So only the xd10's.

Still, it +2.5 per d10. = +17.5  Not bad.  (well slightly less, since it doesn't help crits).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Am i missing soemthing, or do they have an at-will with a weapon their not proficent in?

I don't think so.  Which one are you talking about?

I was missing something.  Mainly the part where it say's the get proficency.  I tend to skip the non-block stuff.

guides
Power
my builds

The level 10 utility is completely underwhelming next to Hat of Disguise.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?

Isn't basily the same?

While letting you keep your horned helm on?

guides
Power
my builds

Hmm, can hybrid assassins pick the way of the ninja and use the kusari-gama with their hybrid attack finesse?

It appears that the kusari-gami and shuriken proficiencies and the attack finesse excpetions are rolled in to the alternative 'Guild Attacks' class feature. As long as you pick the Way of the Ninja, I would think your hybrid would gain all of the benefits. 

Still, it +2.5 per d10. = +17.5  Not bad.  (well slightly less, since it doesn't help crits).

Er

Your math is wrong.  It applies Brutal 1 to your d10s, which is an average damage increase of .5 per d10.  1-10 = 5.5 average, 2-10 = 6 average.

That said, I like the kusari-gama.  Lots of shenanigans that can be done with that.  A nice option for classes that want an almost-spiked-chain but don't want to give up their multiclass feat.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Mmm. Lot's of fun stuff.

I'd play one. 

Why go with master of arms over ki focus expertise?
also, I think this issue is why the first attack is vs reflex.

@thread: seems like they've managed to represent exactly all the things you have to represent to get a fantasy/mythological ninja. GG design team, GG.

Short sword is a military one handed melee weapon, and executioners are proficient with all of those, and explicitly proficient with shuriken and kusari-gama.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
So...not to add to the "Pixies are overpowered debate," but Pixies should enjoy that charging at-will quite a bit.

Overall, I really like the options, but I was confused about something.. Until I read the Executioner class feature and saw Quick Swap. That's a neat class feature to have, for sure. Can a Hybrid get that feature? Is there a Hybird Executioner option?

If the Shuriken power had been worded as a burst or a blast, it could almost make the Shurikens pretty useful. As is, you still have to get past cover and concealment. I like the concept of Shurikens, and when I play this class, you better believe I will use them.

Er

Your math is wrong.  It applies Brutal 1 to your d10s, which is an average damage increase of .5 per d10.  1-10 = 5.5 average, 2-10 = 6 average.

That said, I like the kusari-gama.  Lots of shenanigans that can be done with that.  A nice option for classes that want an almost-spiked-chain but don't want to give up their multiclass feat.

brutal 1 at heroic, up to brutal 3 at epic... 4-10 is an average of 7, that is adding 1.5 per die.

Ki Focus expertise is annoying. The +damage versus bloodied targets only applies to attacks made with the Ki Focus (not weapons that ARE Ki Focused, you are still attacking with a Light Blade, just borrowing magical attributes from the Ki Focus).

Or maybe not. Yet another grey area of Ki Focus that I can't be bothered to try to translate into understandable terms. That said, pretty good chance you will be using 3+ weapons, so Ki Focus might not be a bad way to keep all those weapons enhancement levels up to par. Either way, the rider is most likely not going to matter on Master of Arms or Ki Focus Expertise.

Might be worth taking the penalty to hit on one power to get +1/2/3 dmg with CA for everything else. Depends how often you use it.
This executioners guild seems flat out better than the ones published in Heroes of Shadow; with a seconadry attack on the prone power, at will triple attack and the ability to poison 3 people at once! My only complaint would be that weapon having a flail main hand when this guild would clearly favour light blades otherwise.

Er

brutal 1 at heroic, up to brutal 3 at epic... 4-10 is an average of 7, that is adding 1.5 per die.

Oh wow, yeah I missed that.  Nice, but given that it's an encounter power, and adds 7*1.5=10.5 average damage at level 27...nice, but not overpowered in any regard.  A solid item.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
the at wills are good, shame i cant poach them and make a shuriken-mad rogue/executioner
So this is another school for the Executioner class or....(no ddi)
^ Yessir

I myself never got around to making an executioner when they first came out, but the ninja seems to be convincing me to try one out now... poisoning three dudes is very appealing, or even just that level of minion popping 
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
I played a straight Executioner for a while. FUn as hell. Spent the first few sessions making sure to Garrote Strangle as much stuff as possible(including some zombies and a giant insect, even strangled a skaletal Necromancer who laughed saying he had no need for a windpipe. I pulled hatrder and took his head off), had a number of shenanigans(mostly stealthing away when my party got in trouble, swooping in to help them when needed, with my last big moment duelign a Lich with a Shadowfel blade I got after the last encounter that shut his regenration off(ok, this was mostly due to amazing rolls on my party and bad rolls on the Lich's art, but still).

They're fun. I will definatly have to look at this new Ninja guild option.
There is mention the "cover page" for non-subscribers of Kara-Tur. I don't have the Forgotten Realms book. Is this officially part of 4th edition? Was it a slip? A hint of things to come?
There is mention the "cover page" for non-subscribers of Kara-Tur. I don't have the Forgotten Realms book. Is this officially part of 4th edition? Was it a slip? A hint of things to come?

This entire month of Dragon is devoted to Kara-Tur. Look at the schedule. Samurai theme, new monk build, Ninja, new honor article, etc.
the at wills are good, shame i cant poach them and make a shuriken-mad rogue/executioner

I believe a hybrid Executioner still gains their Guild Attacks feature, yes?  They can only choose two at-wills though

I believe a hybrid Executioner still gains their Guild Attacks feature, yes?  They can only choose two at-wills though

Where are the rules for Hybrid Executioners?

Ki Focus expertise is annoying. The +damage versus bloodied targets only applies to attacks made with the Ki Focus (not weapons that ARE Ki Focused, you are still attacking with a Light Blade, just borrowing magical attributes from the Ki Focus).

Or maybe not. Yet another grey area of Ki Focus that I can't be bothered to try to translate into understandable terms. That said, pretty good chance you will be using 3+ weapons, so Ki Focus might not be a bad way to keep all those weapons enhancement levels up to par. Either way, the rider is most likely not going to matter on Master of Arms or Ki Focus Expertise.

Might be worth taking the penalty to hit on one power to get +1/2/3 dmg with CA for everything else. Depends how often you use it.

It is a bit confusing. The Executioner can definitely use magic enhancements of ki focus or weapons (not both at once, has to be one or the other) but that doesn't really explain what weapon the Executioner is actually attacking with.

Hybrid Executioners are in dragon #400

Hat of Disguise does not alter sound or texture, so someone listening to you talk or touching you might have a better chance of discovering the disguise (this is of course a DM decision).

Veil of a Thousand Faces alongside Flawless Disguise doesn't specifically call that out, so I'd say that restriction does not exist (again, I suppose this is up to the DM0. But Veil of a Thousand Faces alongside Flawless Disguise actually gives you a +7 Bluff, rather than a +5. There really is no reason for an Executioner to take Hat of Disguise when they basically already have it as a class feature.
I like the versatility of this class, balanced by the fact that they lack a 'guaranteed' poison delivery that the other two Guilds have.
Why use Ki Focus Expertise when you can use Ki Weapon Technique? It applies to both weapon and implement attacks as long as you have equipped a ki focus and a weapon.
Why use Ki Focus Expertise when you can use Ki Weapon Technique? It applies to both weapon and implement attacks as long as you have equipped a ki focus and a weapon.

Ki Weapon Technique only applies to at-wills, I believe?  Which would be a problem for the other two guilds, I think, but this one seems to prefer spamming the kusarigama attack...
I didn't notice that about the at-will thing. But it really doesn't matter. All of the guilds exclusively attack with at-will attacks (assassin's strike and poisons just tack onto at-wills).
I didn't notice that about the at-will thing. But it really doesn't matter. All of the guilds exclusively attack with at-will attacks (assassin's strike and poisons just tack onto at-wills).

No, they attack with MBAs, using their at-wills for niche cases.
An MBA is an at-will attack. It's just not a class at-will attack.

shuriken city
Weapon Ki Technique gives the attack bonus to all attacks made with the Ki or the weapon, while the damage bonus is only for at-wills.

I think there's a good balance there. You get a bit of extra damage with your at-wills, and a bonus to all attacks.

And since this guild is going to be using that prone at-will almost every turn (though it does require two attacks, so it could be tricky).
So for the shuriken at-will, how does it interact with poisons that are applied to five pieces of ammunition?  Would you be able to apply the poison to all three attacks five times in the encounter?

Edit:  Dragon Bile poison at L25.  3-target stun 
So for the shuriken at-will, how does it interact with poisons that are applied to five pieces of ammunition?  Would you be able to apply the poison to all three attacks five times in the encounter?

Edit:  Dragon Bile poison at L25.  3-target stun 

I think it only really effects the use of the poisoins that are applied to only one piece of ammo. The ones that apply to multiples seem to work as normal.