Themes/Paragon Paths of the Nentir Vale

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I finally broke down and bought Threats to the Nentir Vale, I was suprised at how good the story quality is!

Should these awesome factions get themes to get the Player Characters in on this great stuff? How would it be best handled? What common missteps with themes should they avoid?

---------------
Personally a good theme for me would tie it in to the story, without tying the DM's hands on incorporating the faction as a villain, here are my ideas so far:

Gray Dissenter:
Former member of the Gray Company, still in love with Nerath, but wary about the Gray Company in the Nentir Vale. Halvath wants to reign you back in, but you hope that other factions farther abroad might be truer to the days of old Nerath. (Possible Paragon Path: Captain General of the Graydowns)

Tigerclaw Barbarian:
This is a tricky one. I would like two different themes, one synergistic with shapeshifters such as Shifters, Druids, Wardens, and one synergistic with Pet Keepers, Sentinals, Shamans, and Beast Master Rangers. Is this too difficult? If the shapeshifter had a block of riders that read Druids: While in Beast Form this power does X, Wardens: While in a Guardian Form this power does X, Shifters while in shifting mode you ______ be just be annoying or rewarding to players who pick a theme that mirrors their class concept?

Chosen of Harken Forest:
A Druid feel power for any hero of primal or martial power source that has a quest of freeing the Druids from their curse. Your abilities has stirred speculation that you don't actually draw power from the spirits of Harken Forest, to protect you from enemies the Hierophant has sent you abroad to find out more about your powers. However if you return and he is dethroned, you will not expect a welcome return. Druids with this theme are eligible for an Epic Destiny that is a Harken Heirophant?

Dythan's Scout:
You have been sent in front of the Legion to scout for relics of Arkhosia, your activities with an adventuring band are thought to be eccentric, but due to some previous adventure you impressed Dytan enough to bregudingling permit, as long as you report any findings of the lost empire back to him. I don't have a great Paragon Path, but how great would it be if they could get a liondrake? (way too powerful I know)

Bloodspear Bastard:
Abandoned Half-Orc from a failed breeding experiment. Was expected to die of exposure, but has returned for revenge.

Iron Circle, Mages of Saruun, and Raven Roost Bandits:
Is there something better than just "fell in with the wrong crowd, now on the run?"

This is a great idea. I think we can link current themes with the factions described in the Nentir Vale Monster Vault. For example, the Dead Rats looks much alike to the River Rats. We may use the Dead Rats theme if your character is a River Rat member. We can also link theme such as the Uthgardt Barbarians with the Tigerclaw Barbarians.

I've been doing what Berenmir said above since Neverwinter Themes came out.  I have a grand list of alternative names for every setting theme to fit to the Nentir/Nerath setting.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I've been doing what Berenmir said above since Neverwinter Themes came out.  I have a grand list of alternative names for every setting theme to fit to the Nentir/Nerath setting.

Could you share? It seems interesting.

Athasian Minstrel: Infiltrator.
Dune Trader: Merchant.
Elemental Priest: Sand Sea Animist.
Escaped Slave: Escaped Slave.
Gladiator: Gladiator.
Noble Adept: Telepath.
Primal Guardian: Primal Guardian.
Templar: Arcane Inquisitor.
Veiled Alliance: Illusionist.
Wasteland Nomad: Wandering Nomad.
Wilder: Wilder.
Bregan D’aerthe Spy: Hunting Spider Agent.
Dead Rat Deserter: River Rats Deserter.
Devil’s Pawn: Iron Circle Mercenary.
Harper Agent: Betrayed Agent.
Heir of Delzoun: Mithralfast Heir.
Illyanbruen Guardian: Astrazalian Emissary.
Neverwinter Noble: Nerathi Inheritor.
Oghma’s Faithful: Ioun’s Faithful.
Pack Outcast: Pack Outcast. 
Renegade Red Wizard: Renegade Karkothi.
Scion of Shadow: Scion of Shadow.
Spellscarred Harbinger: I seriously don't know what to do with this theme.
Uthgardt Barbarian: Tigerclaw Barbarian (allow Shifters as well).

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I just saw this for the first time . . . 

Veilied Alliance could be "scholar of Rumor"
The desert themes should definitely be pulled into the Arkhosian desert themes, 
A little off topic but I loved Threats to the Nentir Vale.
Sign In to post comments