Is there any 'set' contents of booster packs?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
The title is badly worded, sorry for that.

I'll try to explain.

What I mean is there a certain amount of commons, lands, uncommons and rares in each booster pack?

For example each booster of Innistrad might contain 1 rare, 5 uncommons, 1 land and 8 commons.

I don't know if this is the case, I think it is because I just figured out how to check if a card is rare or not and I got 1 rare in each of my boosters, namely Lashwrithe and Elite Inquisitor

Was I just very lucky?
Innistrad boosters always contain 1 double faced card (of any rarity), a checklist, 1 rare, 3 uncommons and 9 commons (one of which might be a basic land). A booster may contain a foil card of any rarity, which replaces a common. so it is possible to get 3 rares in one booster: the normal rare, a rare DFC and a foil. I don't know about foil DFCs, never got one.

Normally, a booster has 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 10 commons and a basic land. A foil can have any rarity and will always replace a common. At least, that's how it is nowadays.

Boosters of older sets will have 1 rare, 3 uncommons and 11 commons, foils replacing 1 card of its rarity.
It is mostly set, yes.  The baseline pack for more recent sets contains 10 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare, and 1 land.  And a single rules tip, advertisement, or token card.

In 1 out of 8 packs in sets that have mythics, the rare is a mythic rare. 

About 1 in 4 packs has a foil (for sets that have foils, old enough ones don't), which can be of any rarity, including basic lands, and replaces a common in the pack.

Innistrad packs each have a single DFC (Dual Faced Card).  The DFC can be of any rarity and replaces a common in the pack.  Additionally, in 3 out of 4 packs, the basic land is replaced by the checklist card.
Additionally, in 3 out of 4 packs, the basic land is replaced by the checklist card.

Seems like I got that wrong. Thought the basic land was replacing a common, because I somehow was remembering a booster with a checklist and a basic land. Guess, it was actually the foil one, that I got. Counted all the checklists I got, and that confirms the 3 out of 4 statement.
Oh awesome!

Thanks guys that's really cool
What are your opinions on fatpacks?

Are they worth it or should I rather get another deck like a commander deck/event deck or the Ajani vs Bolas deck?

It largely depends on what you're after. Fat packs contain a fistful of boosters (8 or 9 or thereabouts, they increased the number over the years and I don't really follow the exact details) plus a bunch of other nifty things, like a spindown life counter (a 20-sided die with adjacent numbers next to each other, which makes for much more convenient tracking of life than a normal d20), a package of 40 basic lands (at least I think it's 40) plus other stuff I'm not exactly sure about.

Basically if you're looking to decide between a fat pack or a commander/event deck or a pair of duel decks, you want to know if you want a ready-to-play deck or an unspecified selection of cards from a set plus a bunch of useful game-related items.

L1 Judge

Innistrad Fat Packs have 9 boosters, 70 basic lands, and 10 checklist cards. Plus the random extra bonus stuff that you can see a list of by following that link there.
Rules Nut Advisor
A clarification: Because foils replace commons, (Except for double faced cards - you'll only ever get one whether it's shiny or not) it's possible to get two rares in a pack. In fact, every single pack with a shiny rare has two rares in it. Admittedly, that's only 1 in every 70 packs, but still, it's awesome when it happens.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
In Innistrad packs, it is possible to get your normal rare, a foil rare (replacing a common) and a DFC rare. This is also possible with mythics.
Yeah, I got a pack with Garruk Relentless, a foil Liliana of the Veil, and Snapcaster Mage, which was mildly cool to open.

Show
No I didn't... but someone out there did.  Wow, huh? 

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

It largely depends on what you're after. Fat packs contain a fistful of boosters (8 or 9 or thereabouts, they increased the number over the years and I don't really follow the exact details) plus a bunch of other nifty things, like a spindown life counter (a 20-sided die with adjacent numbers next to each other, which makes for much more convenient tracking of life than a normal d20), a package of 40 basic lands (at least I think it's 40) plus other stuff I'm not exactly sure about.

Basically if you're looking to decide between a fat pack or a commander/event deck or a pair of duel decks, you want to know if you want a ready-to-play deck or an unspecified selection of cards from a set plus a bunch of useful game-related items.

Having the dice and all would be nice But I think having two Planeswalkers would be nicer lol. I'll have to see what happen haha.
I got a pack with a Garruk Relentless and a Tree of Redemption. I also got one with 3 rares, a foil Angel of Flight Alabaster, Instigator Gang and a Moorland Haunt. Both of these packs were pretty exciting haha.

Yeah, you could get three rares on the Time Spiral block too, because of the timeshifted cards. It's pretty cool.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Modern Fat Packs are about $4 more than the boosters they contain -- for that you get $4.00 in land (at 5 cents a basic, a good average price -- innistrad replaces 50 cents of this value with checklists, that I can assume to be equivalent), a spin-down d20 (approximate value: $1, they're pretty high quality), a nifty storage box (approximate value: $1), and some other junk that isn't worth noting.  All in all, you're getting marginally more value than buying items seperatley.  If you're just starting out (which I might assume you are) the basics and box are a GODSEND, so I'd get fat packs.  for an old player like me, I store cards in big four-rows boxes and have pmenty of travel-size fat pack boxes, along with thousands of land from the days of tourney packs, so its not so neatly clear cut.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

The booklet is nice too.  Often faster than looking cards up on the Gatherer, easily portable, and a good thing to thumb through while trying to come up with deck ideas.  Especially if you generally avoid buying boosters and just by the singles you need for a deck.  The main reason I buy a single fat pack from each expansion.
That;s true... I may be practically glued to my computer but the booklet (at least for NPH, I haven;t gotten an ISD fat pack yet) also has some kinda fun flavor stuff, so I guess it's more added value.

Long story short is that Fat Packs seem to be a bargain versus plain Boosters.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920